Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

What can I do to grab people's attention?
Glochma01 at 12:22PM, April 3, 2011
(online)
I'm serious about writing this comic, Pulled Strings, and one day I hope to publish it into a single book.

However, I have posted to two different sites and I don't know if anyone reads my comic, Pulled Strings. Is there something I need to change, or rewrite in order to get people's attention? Do I need to redraw anything or change part of my style to grab people's attention?

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
Genejoke at 1:09PM, April 3, 2011
(online)
The beginning needs works, it's hard to get a feel for it before Sunday goes back to here place.

That alone will not get readers, you need to promote yourself and your comic a bit, posting in forums is a good start, people will get interested in you and check out your comic, also check out other peoples comics and comment. Basically network it.

if you look to the tight of the screen there is a thing that says quackcast, click that and go through them til you find the one that gives promotional advice, have a good listen as there is some really useful advice there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
kyupol at 7:15PM, April 12, 2011
(online)
learn about ericksonian hypnosis. :)
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
Tim Wellman at 10:37PM, April 12, 2011
(online)
The real way to grab people's attention is to create a comic people want to read :-) Sounds simple, right? But you'd be amazed how many people go off on wild tangents with story ideas and art that no one wants to read, with the faint hope that they can ‘draw’ people in because it's so ‘different’. That never works.

You need to search through the top 100 stories here, if you're doing a manga/anime style, then watch a lot of new anime (meaning 2009-2011), see what the popular themes are… I'll save you the trouble: school, sexy babes, ninja and fighting, classic fantasy/adventure, and sexy babes :-)

It's a myth that if you draw it, the readers will come. They won't. Readers want established story ideas. Originality has almost nothing to do with comics and manga. This is not a fine art, it's a craft… basket-making… people want a basket that will hold things… familiarity… that's the key. I don't mean you should steal ideas from others, but you should read a lot of comics and see what the main themes are… then make your comic fit one of those themes.

Just related to webcomics: have a lot of pages drawn, then watch the front page with the updates… put up a page, then wait till your comic leaves the update section, then upload another one… do that a few times a day, that will keep your comic on the main page of the site (an update before your comic leaves the frontpage update section is wasted). But, results come from people seeing your new page and being interested enough to read all the back pages… and that relates to my first comments… draw something people want to read.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
skoolmunkee at 1:11AM, April 13, 2011
(online)
You might also want to have a look at the thread How do you make people read your comics? which is stickied here in this very subforum. :] It's a bit long but there's some good advice in there.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved