Random Discussion

What do you do when you hear about a mega sale at your local mall?
Lonnehart at 3:34PM, Nov. 14, 2009
(online)
I put this thread here because as a child, the tales I've heard about super sales on the mainland made me think malls would be like this… And it sounds like a pretty crazy way to look at it…

When a super/mega/whatever sale is announced in the paper, on the very day of the sale everyone rushes into the mall towards the sale items, customers (mostly women) fight each other ala “street fighter” or “mortal kombat” in order to get said item. THEN they have to defend that item like it was a football just to get to the cash register so they can pay for it and leave the madhouse they call a mall…

I also wondered if it's like this in other countries.

Yeah… I had quite the sheltered childhood. -_-
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
seventy2 at 4:09PM, Nov. 14, 2009
(online)
There is a reason it's called black friday. the day after thanksgiving, all stores hold like a 50%off everything sale. there are normally riots, and at least one person dies in the US as a direct result of the stampedes.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:30PM
Pineapple at 3:53AM, Nov. 15, 2009
(online)
I live just down the road from the biggest shopping center in South Australia, and it's never been that busy. Sure, annoying busy, where the car park is full and everyone inside seems to have a pram, but not stampede busy. Don’t think that really happens in Australia.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
ozoneocean at 4:35AM, Nov. 15, 2009
(online)
Pineapple
everyone inside seems to have a pram
This is more and more common… There seems to have been a massive breeding explosion in Australia. Too many kids! -_-

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
Inkmonkey at 7:44AM, Nov. 15, 2009
(online)
seventy2
There is a reason it's called black friday.

Yep: it's because this is the day that most stores finally pull a strong profit for the year, bringing their income out of “the red” and into “the black” (meaning it gets written down with black ink instead of red ink).

The term these days, though, is more used in reference to the dark, opressing nature of the event that you mentioned, though.

After last year when a couple people were trampled to death in Wal-Marts and such, there has been a concerted effort this year to offer sales leading up to Black Friday to try and reduce the customer flow.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
lastcall at 11:26AM, Nov. 15, 2009
(offline)
Black Friday? Pffft, try Black November & December. We were at the mall yesterday and it was packed. Apparently people haven't heard of online shopping… ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Lonnehart at 12:50PM, Nov. 15, 2009
(online)
lastcall
Black Friday? Pffft, try Black November & December. We were at the mall yesterday and it was packed. Apparently people haven't heard of online shopping… ;)

Online shopping is great if you're patient and can wait to get your items. But some shoppers simply aren't patient enough and they want it immediately.

then again, I don't do a lot of online shopping so I may be wrong on how it works…
bravo1102 at 10:51PM, Nov. 15, 2009
(online)
In reply to the original question: I thank every deity man ever created and a few he didn't that I no longer work in retail.

I spent too many years on the front lines of retail hell and once wore a WWI helmet for an employee hat day promotion and everyone remarked how appropriate it was.

I live in the most mall intensive state in the USA: New Jersey. Within twenty miles there is Seaview Square Mall, Ocean County Mall, Menlo Park Mall, Monmouth County Mall and Woodbridge Center Mall. Monmouth County and Woodbridge Center are two of the largest malls in the USA. Woodbridge Center draws people from the surrounding states of Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and of course New York. If you live in the five boroughs of NYC you shop in Woodbridge Center Mall.
The parking lot is huge, but between November and December don't even think of parking anywhere closer than a mile from the Mall entrance.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
worldwillshout at 7:55AM, Nov. 16, 2009
(offline)
lastcall

because to most elder folk technology IS THE DEVIL!!!
or like an angry dude who just won't listen to you.

That's the burden of old folks I tells yeh.

but no I hate super sales. I like online shopping.
Cupcakes are the Devil!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
Lonnehart at 10:58PM, Nov. 16, 2009
(online)
bravo1102
In reply to the original question: I thank every deity man ever created and a few he didn't that I no longer work in retail.

I spent too many years on the front lines of retail hell and once wore a WWI helmet for an employee hat day promotion and everyone remarked how appropriate it was.

Yikes! I knew the malls in the mainland US were like battlefields but this is a but much!

I'm glad where I'm at it only takes 30 minutes to an hour to get anywhere, and while the malls do get packed, we can simply rove around the parking lot 'til a space opens up. Of course, the building itself is packed mostly because there are so many Japanese tourists inside along with the locals. Last time I think I counted 6 tour busses dropping off tons of foreign shoppers.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved