Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

What Do You Use to Make a Comic?
Tantz Aerine at 2:53PM, March 25, 2009
(online)
paper & pencils, ideally three, B, 2B and HB but often it's just pencil.

Then if I have the time, bamboo fun tablet (my volito died some time ago) for inking and colouring.

Photoshop CS2 for all stages after pencilling the page.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:07PM
mattchee at 9:03AM, March 27, 2009
(online)
repoman
And I do all my storyboard breakdowns and thumb layouts on cheap typing paper. I miss working with traditional media so breaking down page layouts on paper gets me up from the computer and working with my hands.

word.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
lothar at 1:53AM, March 28, 2009
(online)
Aurora Borealis
- Cheap automatic pencils (the “a pack of ten, each one with three leads inside” kind of… mostly soft, but there's a harder one form time to time).

- Cheap gel pens. they're like normal pens, but the gel added at the end of the pen pushes down the ink, so it flows nicer. And since they use the same ink that normal black pens do, it doesn't fade (compared to sharpies, my 5 year old sharpie drawings turned purple and blue and pink at this point).

- printer paper in A4 format. 500 sheets or so waiting unused, I'm still going through the previous pack (got it down to about 100 or so).

- automatic/mechanical eraser. Kind of like automatic pencils, but it holds an eraser that's roughly the thickness and lenght of a skinny finger. best part, it doesn't smudge nor does it break in your hands from rubbing the paper too hard :P

- a 12 inch ruler. hooray for someone putting both cm and inch on that thing.

- ancient Mustek 600 CU scanner. From 1997 or something like that. Doesn't even have win98 drivers and it runs off win2k drivers using some fancy driver installer. Noisy, slow and blurs anything that doesn't lie perfectly flat on the scanner, also not that great for color, but it's good enough for lineart.

- Wacom Volito2. Sort of like a Bamboo I guess, but I wouldn't know as I never used a Bamboo. One pen, no mouse, looks like a “crippled” intuos (same case but no programmable buttons and much smaller of course). Comes with Art Rage (and so much for software). Basic pressure sensitivity and not the greatest resolution but it's good enough for coloring.

- Photoshop 7. Ancient, I know. Can't afford anything newer and don't think I want to, as this works well enough. Especially considering my old pc.

- Old pc. Sempron 2200+ (which is 1.5ghz), 512mb memory, old Geforce FX 5200 128mb card (but with a malfunctioning fan so I avoid 3d).

THE FUTURE:

I plan to branch out and do both digest sized b&w books (drawn as I did so far) but also larger format color books (usually of a “oneshot” nature) so I'm hoping to buy a drawing desk and an A3 scanner. Going to grab better paper too.

(and this concludes my essay, haha)

HAHHAHA , that is soooo similar to what i use Xept i use cheap wooden pencils and PhotoShop 6
i swithced to gel pens too , mostly cuz i cant find extra fine sharpies in Japan
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
lba at 6:58PM, March 28, 2009
(online)
Hyena H_ll
PBR.

If that's the PBR I'm thinking of, then you win the most “most dangerous art supplies” award. Anything that looks and smells like piss and is alcoholic is probably guaranteed to kill you.

As for me:

Bristol board
Sharpies
Faber Castell India pens
light blue pencil
Mechanical pencil
coffee
tracing paper
spray paint
posterboard & acetate
Photoshop & Illustrator CS4
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Hyena H_ll at 7:06PM, March 28, 2009
(online)
lba
Hyena H_ll
PBR.

If that's the PBR I'm thinking of, then you win the most “most dangerous art supplies” award. Anything that looks and smells like piss and is alcoholic is probably guaranteed to kill you.
Psht. Beats Bud, s'far as I'm concerned.

Actually, in light of recent economic woes, I think I'm have to switch back to 40's. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Jemelis at 9:52AM, March 31, 2009
(online)
I've used a couple of methods. Both were enjoyable.

Watercolour paper
Mechanical pencil
Micron pen for inking
Acrylic paints used in a water colour style
Lettering digital
Word bubbles by hand.

Sample of the comic done in this stlye
http://www.drunkduck.com/Keepers_of_the_Forest/index.php?p=258310

Current
penciled and then scanned. Once scanned turn the page into red lines so I can see to ink over it.(using Wacom tablet) I use the calligraphy pen tool in photoshop.

Colored also in photoshop using different layers…that's another story.

Lettering and word bubbles done in paintshop Pro. Use a comic font purchased from Blambot comic fonts. (If using a program that has layers, put your lettering on a seperate layer so you can change the wording or edit at ease. Also you can have a copy of your page without words.)

http://www.drunkduck.com/Tomb_of_the_King/
Laura Melis

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
Splash Damage at 10:29PM, April 2, 2009
(online)
pencil, then ink with microns, then scan and organize in photoshop or GIMP, whatever's available at the moment.

In the future: pencil, ink with microns, scan, wacom tablet for colors on photoshop
drunkduck.com/splash_damage
Updating Again.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
DrLuck at 2:17AM, April 6, 2009
(online)
I use a 2H pencil to sketch it out on Bristol board. Then, I ink with a brush pen with Speedball super black India ink. I erase the extra pencil marks, then scan them in and open them in Photoshop CS4. I'll clean it up and adjust the blacks in it, then use Illustrator to do the text. That way I can adjust the words to any size with vector art and it won't look grainy. I always work at actual size and scale it down for web.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
IndigoScimitar at 5:35AM, April 11, 2009
(offline)
*smirks* All of this fancy equipment! My method seems so primitive.

I usually start off with a quick sketch on printer paper or whatever I have lying around, using whatever pencil I can find (preferably something mechanical for precision).

I then trace over with a fine-point Sharpie, erase the pencil lines still visible, then use a pencil again for ‘colouring’ (ie, with different shades of grey).

Finally, I use a scanner (one's HP, the other is Epson) and do any final tweaking in Paint or GIMP.

I'm pretty low-maintenance with my drawings…
…boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
CatCatDragoo at 10:02PM, April 11, 2009
(offline)
-Cadoozles “Fun Pencils” 0.7mm ((I like the pictures xD))

-Regular Copy Paper

-PILOTEasyTouch MED ((I'm thinkin' about using gelpens :3))

-hp scanner ((lucky find!))

-GIMP ((All I can afford ;w; ))

-Laser Mouse ((Also all I can afford ;w; ))

That's pretty much what I use. :3 Though lately I've been practicing ‘ArtWeaver’, but it's just not the same as GIMP. =w=
My pride and joooy~! x3

FFA motto:
Learning to Do
Doing to Learn
Earning to Live
Living to Serve
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
bravo1102 at 8:04PM, April 23, 2009
(online)
A ten year old clunker digital camera with a scratched lens, Photoshop 7 and Comic book Creator.

Making what's in the pictures is the hard part. Try 100 12" tall action figures with costumes, properties, weapons, horses, animals, etc, etc all blocked out and posed on a blue screen stage or in built up sets. It's all the same stuff that goes into producing a live-action motion picture but in miniature. I got boxes and boxes of furniture, animals, costumes (plotting out costume changes? Keeping track of properties? *gulp* continuity?)

I block it out in 3 dimensions like a director on a stage.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
darkwaterfrey at 10:35AM, April 28, 2009
(online)
Hyena H_ll
lba
Hyena H_ll
PBR.

Actually, in light of recent economic woes, I think I'm have to switch back to 40's. ;)

Hahahahah! Here in Chi-town we drink PBR and Old Style! PBR got it's “blue ribbon” award from the World's Fair that was here in chicago. Now on to the supplies…

I'm an old-timer, cause I use stuff that no-one else seems to use…

1) Pencils– good ol'number 2, Col-erase blue/red, whatever stub that still has a bit of an eraser left on it.

2) Erasers! I like those art-gum gray erasers that you can pull apart and make little animals out of.

3) Inks! Higgins black-magic, higgins colors, other inky stuff!

4) White out! I use Pen-white, white out pens, white gel-pens, white gouche, and acrylic white paint.

5) Watercolors! I have a really nice expensive set, and several crappy cheap-o sets—both work just fine for my needs!

6) Nibs and brushes! I use a Raphael #2 and #3 for inking. I also use nikkon g-nibs, and Esterbrook 048 “Falcon” nibs! I use a variety of nibs for lettering, including b-5 and b-3 nibs.

7) Paper! Anything! I use watercolor papers–all brands from cheap to expensive! I usually use strathmore 400 series for Katmandi. I use smooth bristol and Deleter brand manga paper for just ink pages!

8) Beer! mmmmmmm….whatever I can find in the fridge!

9) NPR on the radio! (This American Life, Fresh Air, etc.)

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 12:11PM, April 28, 2009
(online)
Ryuthehedgewolf
I'm all traditional (well, besides the scanning, and putting text in with photoshop, and darkening the inks…)

Penciling:
Pentel Twist-Erase Mechanical Pencil (.05 lead)
Pentel Clik Eraser
Staedtler Mars Plastic Eraser

Inking:
Pentel Pocket Brush Pen
Fine and Ultra Fine Sharpies
Microns (Mostly just .005 and .08)

Toning:
Copic Markers (C1, C3, C5, and C7)

Okay, so I'm not inking with the Brush Pens anymore.
I now use a Pilot Precise V5 pen.
Just FYI.
I also have wite-out pens I use.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
Hyena H_ll at 3:19PM, April 28, 2009
(online)
darkwaterfrey
Hyena H_ll
lba
Hyena H_ll
PBR.

Hahahahah! Here in Chi-town we drink PBR and Old Style! PBR got it's “blue ribbon” award from the World's Fair that was here in chicago. Now on to the supplies…

6) Nibs and brushes! I use a Raphael #2 and #3 for inking. I also use nikkon g-nibs, and Esterbrook 048 “Falcon” nibs! I use a variety of nibs for lettering, including b-5 and b-3 nibs.

Heh. I do have a soft spot for “The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous”. ;)

I wanna start using nibs, but I can't find any good ones around here. The speedball ones I've got are… meh. They do what they do, but I'd like to try somethin' nicer.
Ryuthehedgewolf at 5:36PM, April 28, 2009
(online)
Hyena H_ll
darkwaterfrey
Hyena H_ll
lba
Hyena H_ll
PBR.

Heh. I do have a soft spot for “The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous”. ;)

I wanna start using nibs, but I can't find any good ones around here. The speedball ones I've got are… meh. They do what they do, but I'd like to try somethin' nicer.

If you're willing to buy stuff off of the internet…

Then here ya go!

There are some speedball ones, but they have the #102 Crow Quill that most comic book artist pros use. I would link off of Blue Line Pro, but they are most definitely more expensive.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
cetriya at 6:48PM, April 28, 2009
(offline)
hmm,

h-h2 pencils
erasers
nib pen
higgins ink
small ink brush
micron brush pen
steadlers
printer paper
cardstock paper
bristol
T square
ruler
printer/scanner
photoshop (toning,coloring and touch up. Its just easier for me)
manga studio (digital pencialing)
Tria markers
water color stuff (some times)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
Jason Rivera at 7:55PM, April 28, 2009
(online)

- Non- repro blue pencil
- Mechanical pencil .7
- Aimes lettering guide set to 4
- .05 Micron pen for letters
- .08 Micron for borders
- Nib, brush and india ink
- Bristol board
- Magic and kneaded erasor
- Scanner and photoshop for clean up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
anninhell at 11:41PM, April 28, 2009
(offline)
For digital drawings, I'm currently using mangastudio which is really awesome for inking and sketching, because the lines come out exactly the way you want 'em to =D Before I got hold of MS, I used adobe flash to draw rough outlines and adobe photoshop for more detailed inking.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
JoeL_CQB at 12:31AM, April 29, 2009
(online)

-zebra m-402 with pentel .5 blue lead.
-zebra f-402
-pentel graphgear 500 with pentel .5 blue lead
-zebra f-301
-standard bic pen
-scanner
-9x12 bristol
-10x14 blp paper, not that great with inks
-Adobe Photoshop CS4
-staedtler eraser

I kinda use zebra pens exclusively because i like the feel of them compared to other pens. :P

out of the comic, i'll use painter x, flash, and acrylics.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Eddie Jensen at 7:49AM, April 29, 2009
(online)
Small asian children.
if I was a teapot I think I'd be orange.

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
Gillespie at 3:37PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
Eddie Jensen
Small asian children.

Yes, that's a popular choice.
My Wacom pen needs more “lead” soon. I'll have to find my replacements….where ever I put them. :|
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
NickGuy at 6:01PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
it depends ont he project, and when i did it.

my batman and robin comic was done on 22 x 24 bristol board. I started with non repro blue pencil then went straight to brush.

KFK started out as non repro blue pencil followed by pilot precise pens on computer printer paper.

now everything is digital.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
NickGuy at 6:03PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
anninhell
For digital drawings, I'm currently using mangastudio which is really awesome for inking and sketching, because the lines come out exactly the way you want 'em to =D Before I got hold of MS, I used adobe flash to draw rough outlines and adobe photoshop for more detailed inking.

oh wow…oh wow. i think i love you.

I followed your link in your signature due to the flashy colors and was expecting to be let down…but man you have some goregeous comics.

“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
literacysuks1 at 7:17PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
All traditional for me…I'm too poor to go digital anyway.

-Crappy printer paper for the thumbnails and pencils stage
-Eon Productions bristol board (cheap and whiter than the bluelinepro crap or anything else I've used)
-mechanical pencils
-various erasers (I lose them too often to keep to one brand…
-lightbox for inks
-and copic multiliner SP pens for the inks. Sharpies for the blacks because I'm cheap.

Reading the other posts in here I suddenly feel very unfancy…
Go read my superhero comic…because I told you to
http://www.drunkduck.com/Acrobat/

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:35PM
Friedenmann at 6:13AM, May 2, 2009
(online)
Aurora Borealis
- Photoshop 7. Ancient, I know. Can't afford anything newer and don't think I want to, as this works well enough. Especially considering my old pc.
Photoshop 7 is almost perfect already. And if you wanted to use a newer version in English, you'd have to pay shitload for international license.

My comic is entirely digital. I use:
- PhotoImpact 8 (for designing a layout for each page)
- Poser 7 (for model reference, I can't draw anything without a reference)
- openCanvas 1.1 (for all the sketching and painting)
- Photoshop 7 (for putting all panels together, fixing contrast etc. and adding speech bubbles)
- IrfanView (for shrinking and compressing the image)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
NickGuy at 1:50PM, May 2, 2009
(online)
literacysuks1
All traditional for me…I'm too poor to go digital anyway.

-lightbox for inks

i wish i had a lightbox…that would have made everything a thousand times better

CharleyHorse at 2:04PM, May 2, 2009
(offline)
Yeah, I still use the heck out of my light box. In the long run it is easier for me to make sketch corrections with a light box than going over everything in a nit picking fashion using my graphics package.

I try to use my graphics software only for coloring my work and dialogue placement of word balloons. It doesn't always work out that way, but that's my goal. It's much too easy to waste time playing with graphics software than doing things the old fashioned way . . . which were, after all, designed for streamlined efficiency and high rates of productivity. Well, in general anyway.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
HybridLemonade at 2:52PM, May 2, 2009
(offline)
I use a whole bunch of different things.

For stuff on DD, which is more casual fun, I mostly just do it 100% digital. using manga studio and good ol photoshop 7.

for my more serious bizniz, I use bristol board smooth, mechanical pencil, Winsor newton ink, G pen,brush, and kneaded eraser.

comics are expensive yo. :<
mattchee at 8:42AM, May 4, 2009
(online)
In my (way) earlier traditional days, I used to draw everything straight to the page, construction, everything. Then I got this book that (finally) suggested using a light box to transfer construction roughs to the bristol. Total eye opener. Not just to that, but to the unlimited possibilities of approaching a page.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 11:10PM, May 4, 2009
(online)
Hyena H_ll
Coffee.
Cigarettes.
PBR.

well aren't you a hipster ; D you forgot “ironically oversized plastic-rimmed glasses despite 20/20 vision.”

jk jk! heart.

me:
* 140 lb watercolor block pad, $23 for 20 pages o_O (I recommend getting a wc block to anyone using watercolors.. it's more expensive, but it's so worth it- no warping!!)

* my fancy mechanical pencil.. it cost $5! I bought it because it has a metal thing on the back so I can't chew it to oblivion– that's the fate of anything plastic that lands in my hands.

* 1 wash brush (pretty cheap; about $1)

* 1 round #8 watercolor brush (not so cheap, about $6)

* watercolor paints! brand: van gogh (it was on sale… : P) I heavily favor cerulean blue and cadmium red, and I do a wash of cadmium yellow over every page before I start painting.

* lots of toilet paper… lol FOR BLOTTING/BRUSH MAINTENANCE!! weirdos.

* the occasional mixed media– once I used lined paper, another time scratchboard… special undisclosed multimedia surprise sometime in the future… (I'm reallllly excited about doing this one page..)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved