Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

What Do You Use to Make a Comic?
Shinigami_Shimai at 1:43AM, May 5, 2009
(offline)
Sketching
- blue pilot 0.7 mechanical pencil or 2H pencil
- 2b-4b 0.5 mechanical pencil final lines

Inking
- Micron Pigma pens or Photoshop CS2 pentool with a 3 pixel brush.

Toning
- Scanned Letrotone cloned in Photoshop CS2

Colouring
- Photoshop CS2 pentool.

Kat
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
Air Raid Robertson at 11:02AM, May 15, 2009
(online)
I do some loose layouts with a mechanical pencil. I then write the dialogue out on a seperate piece of paper.

After that, I use Micron pens to do the basic line art. A size five pen is used for panel borders and general figure work. A size one pen is for finer details and cross-hatching. If I'm unsure about how something should look I expand on the rough layouts with the mechanical pencil to help me make up my mind.

After the pencils are all erased I begin coloring. (Or graytones, depending) I use Prismacolor brand markers for this. Darker colors are draped over the cross-hatching while the lighter ones are applied closer to the (d'uh) light source.

Afterwards, I scan the piece into my computer. I alter the colors with a filter via Adobe Illustrator in order to make them more web-friendly. (I don't bother with this step with graytones. Those look fine as is) Consulting my hand written script, I then apply word balloons and dialogue using Adobe Illustrator.

At that point the page is finished and ready to go.

Sometimes, if the page looks especially daunting, I'll draft out a set of thumbnail drawings to see if what I'm thinking will actually work. Most of the time, however, I just draw on top of my layouts.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
Pokkon at 12:42PM, May 17, 2009
(offline)
Sketching - My wonderful Wacom tablet that miraculously still hasn't died even after dropping it at least a thousand times, and either Paint Tool SAI or Photoshop 7. I like SAI more because the lines are so pretty, but resizing and rotating is so much easier in Photoshop. I don't even know if it's possible in SAI. *shrugs*

Lineart - Panel borders and speech bubbles in Photoshop, as well as the text, then I switch to SAI for the actual lineart of the characters and backgrounds. I used to draw on ridiculously huge resolutions (a PSD file of a single page had up to 70 MB because of that) because otherwise the lineart was horrible, but now I can draw on 100% with zooming in a little, and the lines still look neat. Now the filesize is mostly below 2 MB, saves lots of space and makes my laptop happy. :D

Coloring - SAI again. Though my coloring is pretty lazy (mostly to get many pages done in a short amount of time, and I don't even want the art to be extremely detailed), I could do the same on Photoshop. I prefer SAI though because I like using the Marker tool on backgrounds.

tl;dr Tablet, Photoshop 7, Paint Tool SAI.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
Joneko at 5:57PM, May 22, 2009
(online)
Where does one get the non-repro pencils? I thought I'd gotten one from the art supply store but apparently not.

Basic computer paper, bic .5 mechanical pencil (I'm that picky - because they come in bulk), copic multiliners, copic sketch markers in a neutral range. And then a scanner, and photoshop for large fills, text, touch-up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Gillespie at 10:00AM, June 3, 2009
(online)
Wow. After reading everybody's replies, many of you all have a unique and certain way to make comics!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
BlueSoulber at 3:10PM, June 5, 2009
(offline)
Photoshop 7 is great for coloring and I use a tablet for the inking

Wild Heart Main Site
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
AwesomeUnicorn at 7:26PM, June 7, 2009
(offline)
I used to have a lot of problems because I used to try to limit myself to one medium, one program, one style, one technique, etc.

It was only recently that I realized doing things like this stunts my creativity when I started making My Name Is Billy that I work best when I have the option of both drawing like a kid with brain damage, or drawing like somebody who's spent years drawing and several years at a college for art.

Sometimes I'll draw on regular old paper with a .5 mm mechanical pencil or with a VisTablet. When I'm sketching out a rough for an episode, it's pretty much up in the air whether I use Photoshop, OpenCanvas, Painter X, or just MS Paint. Actually, lately I seem to really enjoy drawing them in Paint.

After that, it all depends on whether I feel like drawing like a retard, drawing sketchy and quick, or taking my time and making the lines pretty and adding a little color. It doesn't help that I never plan farther than the next episode.

Unorthodox? Probably. Terrible? Most definitely.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:13AM
Hunchdebunch at 4:51AM, July 19, 2009
(online)
For all of my comics except Love Cat I use whatever paper I happen to have, and I draw them all out in pencil first, then ink them. For Dark Light, a page is finished as soon as I've inked it, as it's black and white. For The Door and Last Of The Wilds I then take a photo of the page and colour it on photoshop. For Love Cat, everything is done on photoshop including the drawing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
Koshou at 7:46AM, July 19, 2009
(offline)
I draw the whole comic on plain computer paper with a no. 2 pencil, clean it up, scan and then “tone” it (which is basically coloring in greys for shadows and indications of color.) in Photoshop.

…it's not a very professional way to do it, but it works for me.

if I'm coloring something I either ink it and color with colored pencils or do it in photoshop.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
Futon at 3:29AM, July 21, 2009
(online)
I do the whole thing digitally, using OC, and my trusty Intuos3.

THAT'S RIGHT, I SAID OC.

And it's pretty easy to tell. I would really like to use better programs, but I don't have any. Haven't got around to getting up a Pay-Pal-account and buying SAI, and all the other programs cost an arm and a leg. And a kidney.

But I'm happy with my current situation.

#56 in Comic Book/Story #73 Overall
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:32PM
sagittarius at 4:17PM, July 30, 2009
(online)
sagittarius
Pencils (mostly Mongol that we still have and mechanical pencils)
Unipen 0.1-1.0 (so as the Copic Fineliner A-2 Set)
Faber Castell Shades of Gray
Photoshop CS2 (for texts, resizing and toning)
Prismacolor Premiere Color Pencils
Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pens
Inkjet Paper
Lexmark 1200 Series (old scanner)
Update as of now:

- Faber Castell Color Pencils (so as that watercolor pencils)
- Cardstock paper A4
- 4x5 Graphire4 (for toning and shades)
- Copic Marker custom 24-color set
- Prismacolor Markers (Grays and other colors we need)
- Chocolate
- Musics on radio
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:17PM
Redemption at 12:38AM, July 31, 2009
(offline)
Nice to to see the different work flows - seems to be a lot of people using both physical and digital media.

My tools look to be fairly standard: any pencil that doesn't need to be sharpened (failing that, a 2B), then Neopiko art pens (seem to bleed less than Staedler) on cartridge paper. Then scanned in for digital colour, panel lines and text.

I haven't found the courage yet to try traditional media for colours. A lot of you (yes, you!) have great technique with pencils and markers. They're a bit scary for someone who grew up on MS Paint.

Updates Thursdays.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:03PM
ParkerFarker at 6:29PM, Aug. 1, 2009
(online)
paper and a pencil.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved