Help, Support and Suggestions

What exactly is the difference if i make my comic a "homepage"?
Webber at 12:40PM, Oct. 1, 2006
(offline)
Basically theres the button to the side of my comic that says “Make this a home page? (can't be undone)”
I'd try it out if it werent for the fact that it cant be undone…
so, iwas wondering what happens when i make it a homepage, anyone willing to tell me?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
Neilsama at 6:53PM, Oct. 1, 2006
(online)
Thus far, the only purpose I've been able to attribute from the homepage feature is that it enables a splash page. I really regret clicking that link, because now I'm stuck with it. I really, really hate splash pages. I HATE them.

Supposedly there will be other features, but I really know what those are. You should send a private message to Volte6 to find out what his intentions are.

In the meantime, I would strongly recommend not clicking that link. I did, and I regret it. I really, REALLY wish Volte would reconsider this option or at least make it flexible enough so that the homepage at least FUNCTIONS like the most-recent-comic page instead of a splash page; they way it did BEFORE I clicked the link.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
skoolmunkee at 2:27AM, Oct. 2, 2006
(online)
I want to say that you CAN actually get it to do that. I know you can get it to display your most recent page (or at least that's what I've read in some of the homepage threads around)… supposedly you can also replace the comments code with the proper comment box code too, to enable voting on the homepage.

I haven't been able to try any of this stuff myself though. :/
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
Neilsama at 10:19AM, Oct. 2, 2006
(online)
Yes, I'm slowly figuring getting my homepage to at least resemble my original index page. There's only one thing I'm having difficulty with, and that's trying to get a “Previous Page” button placed on the page.

Overall, I think we need a tutorial for this homepage business. It seems as though it can be made to obey my whims, but I'm having a very slow go at it. I'd say until there actually is a tutorial available, you should avoid the homepage option.

But to be fair, I'm slowly warming up to it. I think once we know what we're doing, it should be a great feature.
Knuckles at 11:15AM, Oct. 2, 2006
(offline)
hmm… I see what you mean.. I didn't see the navigation buttons until you actually click the link to take you to the recent page… it's really confusing… I guess I'll have to twaek my page too since I did it before I saw this warning. =/

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
skoolmunkee at 1:45PM, Oct. 2, 2006
(online)
I'm chipping away at this but I haven't gotten to customization yet. I think for the purposes of the tutorial docs I'm going to have a go at making the Homepage look and act as much like the original index page as possible, but with some of the bonus things like the recommended comics links, etc.

It seems like the blog is really just whatever the most recent author's comments are? :s Anyway I need to have a look at some comics that have used the homepage and changed it a bit. I have all the easy stuff down…
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
LowResAtari at 3:57PM, Oct. 2, 2006
(online)
I want to shoot myself in the foot because I activated the dang homepage thingy on accident… and the only thing I can change is the ARRANGEMENT >:O

nevermind… I found an html code that just bypasses the homepage.
99% of people would've finished this sente
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:47PM
Neilsama at 4:56PM, Oct. 2, 2006
(online)
You know, it took me a minute to figure out how you did that, but that's very clever!

If anyone wants to copy what LowRes is doing, it's a mega tag string. Just copy this…

">
LowResAtari at 5:09PM, Oct. 2, 2006
(online)

">

You need to have the header, though.

(the only concern I have with using this code, is I think it counts as two pageviews when it does that >>;; )
99% of people would've finished this sente
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:47PM
Hawk at 9:35PM, Oct. 2, 2006
(online)
LowResAtari
(the only concern I have with using this code, is I think it counts as two pageviews when it does that >>;; )

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Heh heh, sorry.
Yeah, I almost enabled the homepage, but I'm glad I didn't. I want people to go right to my most recent page with its navigation controls. Maybe if some really neat feature pop up, I'll enable it later.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
skoolmunkee at 3:21PM, Oct. 3, 2006
(online)
OK, the NAV tags, archive dropdown, and author's notes don't work on the homepage.

The author's notes isn't a big deal because there's a BLOG tag that does the same thing.

The archive dropdown probably isn't too big of a deal since you CAN set and display chapters on the homepage, which is arguably more helpful.

The nav tags are the problem here - while there are codes for “first” and “latest” there doesn't appear to be one for “previous” - meaning if someone wants to go back a page they need to do a 2-step thing.

Otherwise I can get all the normal index page stuff to work on a homepage. I should have some stuff up in the next day or two.

I want to request a “previous” tag for the homepage, but I'm not sure if the homepage works in a way that's compatible with that. At any rate it would probably end up being low priority for now.

One thing I want to try out (but can't until tomorrow, it's late here) is to see if any of the homepage tags work on the index page… they probably won't though, as some of the features don't become activated until you turn on the home page (like comic recommendation).
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
Neilsama at 8:00PM, Oct. 3, 2006
(online)
skoolmunkee
I want to request a “previous” tag for the homepage, but I'm not sure if the homepage works in a way that's compatible with that. At any rate it would probably end up being low priority for now.
I PMed (or PQed) Volte a couple days ago, requestiong just that. From his first response to me, I'm not sure if he really understood what I was requestiong, so I linked to my website so that he could see what I'm doing and why this is a problem.

You're right, it's a two-step process to go backwards one page, and that's precisely what's driving me crazy. I think the homepage is a splendid idea. I just find it absolutely unfathomable that Dylan apparently either didn't think of having full navigation or didn't think it'd be necessary.
skoolmunkee at 3:57AM, Oct. 4, 2006
(online)
It may not be possible. Although I suppose if the archive pages can do it there's no real reason the homepage can't.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
stardusty at 10:38PM, Oct. 4, 2006
(online)
Can you please create the option to revert back to having no home page? It's just more trouble than it's worth and I have no idea how to do all this html coding stuff.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved