Debate and Discussion

What if there is ALIEN LIFE?
kyupol at 7:00AM, Nov. 15, 2006
(offline)
I'm not sure if I believe in the existence of aliens.

Though if it is really true that the universe is sooooo vast, there is possibility for alien life out there. If there is alien life out there, are they intelligent? do they have a civilization of their own? Things such as art and literature do they have them? How do they look like? How large or how small are they?

And if it gets undisputedly proven as a scientific fact that aliens are REALLY out there, how would they relate to religion? Since religions place man as the highest form of living things since humans evolve and have technology, art, literature, and have larger brains than the rest of the animals. Will aliens be classified as the same level as humans? or will the religions of the world classify them as “animals” regardless of their degree of intelligence and civilization.

Are those UFO videos real or hoaxes? Is the government hiding the truth about alien technology? Were stealth fighters and all forms of space travel and communications products of alien technology?

Are they harmed by the same things as humans? Will our weapons be effective against them in case war will happen? Or will our bombs, bullets, chemical, nuclear, and bio weapons just make them stronger and multiply. Since bombs create fire in them does fire harm them?

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Rich at 7:09AM, Nov. 15, 2006
(online)
Odds are that any and all intelligent life we encounter will be so different from us that we will never be able to fully communicate and interact with them. We need to remember that any alien life we find will NOT resemble human beings in any way, shape, or form.

Plus the liklihood of us finding an inhabitable planet is virtually nil. The amount of advantages Earth has are so immense that it is unlikely we will ever find another life supporting planet. They certainly ARE out there, but space is too big for us to be likely to find them.

As for how religion will react, well, you can probably expect the hypochristians to call the aliens demons and crazy shit like that. The hindus and buddhists probably won't give a shit, and the muslisms are likely to not care much either.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
Tantz Aerine at 7:32AM, Nov. 15, 2006
(online)
Rich
As for how religion will react, well, you can probably expect the hypochristians to call the aliens demons and crazy shit like that. The hindus and buddhists probably won't give a shit, and the muslisms are likely to not care much either.

I probably agree on all the points regarding aliens with you… but could you please not diss a religion on the basis of what people claiming they upholding it do? It is rather aggravating to hear it. Plus, I think it is not very respectful to be derogatory to a religion which has drawn the spiritual power of even one single person, let alone thousands or millions. Entire lives have been and are invested in Christianity and I am quite convinced you have not been given the chance to realise the essence of what it is to be a Christian. After all, with all the layers of formal church practices, decrees and stuff, it is very easy for one to lose track of what the actual dogma says.

I am not trying to convince you of anything- just please, please do not attack my religion because you have obviously been dealt a raw deal by some who unfortunately claim they belong to it. Pretty please?

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Rich at 9:16AM, Nov. 15, 2006
(online)
My apologies if I have offended you. But after spending years trying to find comfort in Christianity, all I found was hypocracy and hate. The bible teaches that God is loving and will forgive everyone and cares about everyone equally, and yet the churches and most xtians preach the exact opposite. They run around screaming about how the world is against them, how the devil has a hold on everyone they don't like, how everyone who doesn't bow down and kiss their god's ass is going to hell, and about how any LGBT individuals are being controlled by Satan.

I followed for a long while and tried to be a good xtian, but I eventually realized that the only reason I had ever gave a shit about the religion is because I feared hell. Upon realizing this, I left xtianity, and haven't looked back.

And as far as I'm concerned, any god who will throw good people into a hell just because they won't follow him, is far more evil than any devil. You can have your heaven and your asskissing. I'd rather burn in Hell for all eternity than to bow down to a god whose religion is corrupt.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
Tantz Aerine at 10:53AM, Nov. 15, 2006
(online)
Rich
And as far as I'm concerned, any god who will throw good people into a hell just because they won't follow him, is far more evil than any devil.

I couldn't agree more. That is certainly not God, who counts behaviour, not ascription or Christian, whose primary teaching is to love and not to judge anyone- because only God has the right to judge. Besides, what more christian (and by that I mean God's teachings, not priests' or churches') than what you have in your avatar and signature? :)

If it is any worth, though, I have to tell you that I agree with the above quote, 100%. Any relationship you have between God and yourself is between you and Him. Nobody can OR has the right to judge you in your dealings with Him. Nor can they (or have been given any right by God or anything in the Bible itself) predict what will happen to anyone's soul (theirs, yours or any alien's, to keep with the topic ;) ).

Thank you for your very meaningful and sincere answer; I have been through the same stages and I believe that you will, in the end, understand and sense God as He really is- through any condition, pattern or way of communication He reaches you :)

(and I'll stop now, before I am told off for side-tracking the discussion… *tiptoes away and off soap-box*)

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
_CJR_ at 11:38AM, Nov. 15, 2006
(online)
*reads other posts* Cough…yeah….aliens. They are all…alieny…and stuff…
If you catch me slacking…kick me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:03PM
Ronson at 12:14PM, Nov. 15, 2006
(online)
If intelligent alien life were ever to be discovered, religion will eventually accept the information, adapt their religious writings as necessary and then believe there was never a discrepancy. This has been true as any science has peeled away at religious beliefs. Religion only pretends to know the unknown, and only rarely pretends that facts that aren't in dispute are still wrong.

Even if alien life is equal to or greater than our own intelligence, conventional thought will evolve from them being lesser to us and then eventually accept them as equal. I doubt we'd ever admit to superiority.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
ccs1989 at 12:43PM, Nov. 15, 2006
(online)
Rich

Islam and Christianity aren't all that different.

Anyway, despite their religion humans usually act in predictable ways in the long run in response to different things. Som
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
LIZARD_B1TE at 2:13PM, Nov. 15, 2006
(online)
Rich
Plus the liklihood of us finding an inhabitable planet is virtually nil. The amount of advantages Earth has are so immense that it is unlikely we will ever find another life supporting planet. They certainly ARE out there, but space is too big for us to be likely to find them.

I believe that one of Jupitor's (or at least I think it's Jupiter, might be Saturn) moons has an atmosphere that can support life. It think it was Triton, but I could be wrong, I'm getting this information from something I read in a science textbook a few years ago, but yeah it's very possible.

And it doesn't necessarily have to have an atmosphere like Earth's in order to support life. If life evolves on a planet, it is probably gonna evolve to exist in that particular atmosphere.

I've always been strangely drawn to the idea that there might be floating creatures resembling a cross between a blimp and a jellyfish drifting around on either Jupiter or Saturn. That would be so awesome.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
ozoneocean at 8:54AM, Nov. 16, 2006
(online)
Sorry guys, I'm going to be a little stricter here now:
No one-sentance statements or posts just for the sake of making funny remarks. Please contribute to the debate. If you make a statment, follow it up with a justification! Then we have debate. If it's important enough to say, SUPPORT IT!

It's that or have your posts edited or deleted. :( That's on of Zwhu's old debate rules and it's worth bringing back.

In that spirit, the following posts were deleted:
subcultured
people will turn it into a fetish
Rich
Your goddamned right we'll have alien fetishes!
kyupol
that is just… the sickest thing I ever heard.

#
# Edited by Moderator VegaX:
# Please don't bring up stuff like pedophilia and necrophilia.
#
Feel free to continue the debate! Examine that fetish idea if you like too.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
kingofsnake at 10:12AM, Nov. 16, 2006
(online)
I learned in my Philosphy of science class that is actually, following the theories of evolution, it is incredibly unlikely, that even in the vastness of space that there is another planet that has life on it at all, let alone intelligent life. The odds of all the things nessecary to both sustain life and also allow for it to come about from a lifeless environment ar ridiculously slim, so much so that even considering the number of planets and asteroids in the entire universe, and estimating the possible number of ones we can't know about, it's still a longshot that there would be any life at all.

Our comparison from class was lets say you had a playing card, and that playing card had the entire novel of david copperfield written on it. then next to it was the same copy of david copperfield except one letter of one word was different like “the” on page 123 was spelled “tge” and next to that, was another card wherein an addition letter was wrong, and it was like that for every letter of the book, and unless every letter was correct it didn't count as being a book. Now as you get further and further away from that book you become further away from what the book actually said. Now if you take the number of different cards that would have to be explored to have a new book, say hamlet, the ratio of complete books to cards needed to get to them is thousands of times less than if you did the same thing with the qualities nessecary to bring about the simplist life form.

And thats if you follow dennents works and think that it is even THEORETICALLY possible for even the simplist life form to be brought about in an environment with no life, which I think is ridiculous, illogical and the idea of some sort of external force that initiates life make far far more sense.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
VegaX at 11:43AM, Nov. 16, 2006
(offline)
I've seen life grow from the strangest places, and just recently in a lunchbox i forgot at work. So i'd say it pretty damn likely life DO exist on some other planet, in some other galaxy. Our “Earth” can not possibly be unique.

We humans like to think we are one of a kind, but seeing as how huge the universe is, thinking we're alone is kinda arrogant.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
lothar at 12:58PM, Nov. 16, 2006
(online)
some evidence suggests that life on Earth actually originated from space , i think its comets that have a high level of organic molecules . its hard for humans to imagine extraterestrial life very different from our own . just look at star trek , they are all breathing the exact same mixture of gasses and feelin fine under the same gravity , not to mention INTERBREEDING ! i meen wtf is that ?
fiction aside , i cant believe that this vaster than vast cosmos exists with only this planet looking at it , thats just depressing !! the universe is reletively young and we ar prolly one of the first sentient creatures capable of interplanetary comunication in this galaxy , more than that , there is a good chance we are the only one at this point in time . but thats just this Galaxy ! and the barriers to long distance comunication are huge !
With the expansion of the universe and fixed and unsurpassable speed of light , comunicating with other worls would be a little like .. i got nothing to compare it to.

so just because we can't see it or may never be able to see it , it doesn't mean its not there. or does it? if a planet blows itself up and no Earth based telescope sees it , no human picks up those desperate radio brodcasts moments before oblivion , does that mean it never happened !

i recomend reading Carl Sagans “COSMOS”

and
Lizard - its Titan , the largest moon of saturn , i beleive it has an atmosphere of methane. the reason people say it could support life is because the temperature range is within the limits that would allow the methane exixt as a solid, liquid, and a gas on the surface. i dont know why this is a prerequisit for life, but anyway it would be very different from life here . for one thing its hell'a cold on Titan , and another your oxygen would explode on contact with the Titan atmosphere !
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved