Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

WHAT IS IT?
Sayomi at 8:07AM, Feb. 24, 2011
(offline)
Okay, from what I gather, HTML is something that you use on DD to edit the appearance of your comic pages. I think you can change Forum button, First, previous, next and latest buttons, titles and comments title. Is there anything else you can change?
Secondly, is it ridiculuosly hard? I don't understand the tutorials, I don't even get HTML for Idiots. Is it easy enough to do, if so, how can I do it??
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
Abt_Nihil at 4:30PM, Feb. 24, 2011
(offline)
Well, the buttons are the easiest to change (by replacing the dd image links with your own), but basically, you can change everything, I think.

I'm mildly accustomed to html, but it's still taking me forever to come up with an html template, that's why I either use dd's existing templates or just change simple things (like the buttons, background graphics, insert links and ads etc.).

However, there are programs which will let you design a template in a graphic interface and then give you an html output, without your having to know anything about code. For instance, Photoshop can do that. Then you'll have to combine the html output with dd's code, which is the trickier thing. But it can be done, I'm living proof :p
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
Sayomi at 12:25AM, Feb. 25, 2011
(offline)
Any suggestions for those programmes? Free ones Dad can get online maybe?
blindsk at 12:31AM, Feb. 25, 2011
(online)
While raw html is more of a straightforward sort of code, I find it rather monotonous! Instead, I'd recommend getting familiar with a stylized form like CSS, which works wonderfully with DD pages.

Figuring stuff out is more trial and error though, unless you want to take some sort of class on it. I'd say a good first step is to simply look at code and try to navigate your way through it - which tag means what function? How do I change font/colors/text size? By changing around values and such, you can figure out what happens as a result and where it happens. And half of the adjustments your make your page will be color.

And if you're looking for a place to start, we have some lovely templates set up by other DD users ready for your page.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
Sayomi at 1:37AM, Feb. 27, 2011
(offline)
Where can I find these templates?
Genejoke at 2:57AM, Feb. 27, 2011
(online)
In the forums look at coding and templates section.

Or here

http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_category.php?cid=231&tid=55649
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
Tim Wellman at 3:07AM, March 7, 2011
(online)
An html editor won't do you much good with DD code since it's mostly styles, not pure html.

The easiest thing to do is go to your account page and click Layout and the Raw html button. Copy all of that code to a new Notepad page (you can work directly in that box in your browser, but it's best to save a copy). You can just save it as text in Notepad, since that's all html is, text.

Also get familiar with the Files link on your Account page. DD allows you to upload images to use to customize your comics pages.

So, you have the template open in notepad, scroll down a bit and you'll see ‘TOP NAVIGATION’ and under that there are four links. If you've designed your own buttons and uploaded them to your Files area, you just need to replace those default links with links to your buttons. So, where it says NAV_FIRST, you'd replace the Link section (the part after the =) with the link to your button, which would look something like
http://www.drunkduck.com/Time_Girls/gfx/first.jpg
but your comic name would replace mine, of course.

In the same way, you can add a top graphic logo… just replace the comic title link under the -Comic Title Area- with a link to your logo. In other words, replace everything between
and
with
whatever the link to your logo is.

Once you're done, simply delete all the code from the Raw html box and replace it with your code from Notepad.

If you mess up, there's always a reset button.

Redoing your DD pages is mostly about creating new graphics, not changing the html. About the only important thing you'll do in html is adjust the width of the comic box and change the background color… the rest is just a matter of creating new buttons and artwork to replace the stock default DD artwork.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved