Comic Talk and General Discussion *

What is your Favorite Cliche/Most Hated Cliche
TitanOne at 12:51PM, Oct. 29, 2007
(offline)
Oh yeah–I need a good cliche I like.

-Laser beams that make noise in space! Think about it. Lasers do not make noise even in the air, let alone the vacuum of space. But it's fun.

-Second choice: Anything James T. Kirk did to avert disaster and snatch victory from the jaws of almost certain defeat–especially in the ship-to-ship battles. He was the only ST captain, seemingly, who could do this really well.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
Rutger at 1:25PM, Oct. 29, 2007
(offline)
Good cliché: Any obvious movieref in any movie, as long as it's overly used. Like “I'm your father!” and such.

Bad cliché: Girls in movies who prefer to act like a comlete ‘tard and just ognore the guy they’ve been chasing after, after one slight hick-up, rather than just listening to their explanation. Of course, that would end the movie half an hour earlier, but come on…listen to the damn guy, he had his reasons!

This goes vice versa too, btw.

K.A.L.A.-dan! rutGAR desu!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:13PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 1:54PM, Oct. 29, 2007
(online)
FAVORITE:

When the villain and hero are portrayed as opposites of each other.

The killer who doesn't talk or change facial expressions. It's just so creepy. This is one of the reasons that I think Mr. X from RE2 was a scarier monster than Nemesis from RE3.

LEAST FAVORITE:

When people are forced to live in difficult conditions for years, but in all those years of struggling for survival, they have managed to retain perfect teeth and perfect skin.

When the plot is set in a school, but no one ever does any schoolwork.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
AQua_ng at 2:06PM, Oct. 29, 2007
(offline)
Least favourite:

“Shall I explain that attack I just did? You know, the one I charged up for, like, twelve minutes while you were doing nothing about it? No, you don't? Tough, it's flashback time.”

Favourite:

Cars explode on contact.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:57AM
mlai at 3:47PM, Oct. 29, 2007
(online)
My fav cliche: Handgun kung fu. Equilibrium didn't do it first. For me personally, Point Blank Assassin did it first, and awesomely. The fight between Shinji and Cleaver Boy made me a fan for life.

Hate cliche: Heroes/villains who never go away. Comic books, in other words. #1 reason why I hate all American comic books. Why bother reading when you know no one, not even the 3rd-rate-villain, is ever in danger? No, seriously.
And when one of them do die, it's a ****ing major event. And you think, “Gee there goes the element of surprise. Why do I still want to read it, now?”

Someone
I thought it'd be funny to have a movie or book/comic/whatever where the henchmen (although they look the same) aren't pawns, and any given one can kill the main character as easily as vice versa. That's realism for ya.
QFT. Replace “funny” with “how it's done.”

jgib99
Here's my list (I know that some of these were mentioned earlier.)
Loves:
The fish out of water story. Especially when its done with a good script.
Time travel/ Dimensional travel.
The strong-willed and intelligent female character.
The partners or team that have to work together to save the day despite the fact that they hate each other.
Yay you should read my 2 comics.

ccs1989
Yeah, the final fight cliche is cool, but I also like the whole cliche of a “big bad” in general. I mean, it works a lot of the time, what with the Emperor in SW, or a villain like the Joker. There can be shades of gray in many characters, but every so often it's good to have a character who IS pure evil.
Yes, despite all the “Your villain should be complex/3D/have reasons/etc” in the “How To Make A Villain” thread, there's just something archetypal about Big Evils. I liked TPM in that he's the Big Evil but he works completely under the radar.

roma
And the one there they are playing a racing and they are pressing all the buttons like mad and you Only see the car turn left.
LOL, it's REALLY embarassing when the actors are young guys or even kids, y'know, ppl who logically should know they're looking like 'tards doing that. At that point I have zero respect for them as characters and as actors, as in “LOLMG you ****heads ain't gamers.”

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
SarahN at 4:16PM, Oct. 29, 2007
(online)
Psychotic freak-outs, if you consider that a cliche.

When a character gets bitched around for a while, only to end up going super badass and beating the hell out of/killing his enemies. I'm sorry, I normally like this. Though this may go in the same category as freak-outs…

Dislikes:
Okay, I can handle one special transformation…but no more than that.

A story set in Japan for no reason, or with Japanese elements like sailor uniforms or briefcases in school, Japanese names/sounding names, ect.

Characters who do nothing to defend themself when they are capable, and just cry or whine.

A battle between two people that is dragged out for chapters.

Back and forth gloating/speeches from two fighting characters. Or bad guys that talk too much in general.

When they make the main hero over god-like.

I'm not very strict about my dislikes though. I read comics with some of those cliches still.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 4:18PM, Oct. 29, 2007
(offline)
well a cliche I love is as the first poster said;

Evil Emperor Nick
A cliche I love the final duel. Two epic opponents come speak their final good-bye and go into one on match from which only one walks away from.

one I HATE happens in most animes. there's a girl and a boy. the girl wears skimpy clothing and the boy is too freaking polite for his age. they fall in love. a death of one of the two's loved ones causes either of the two to seek comfort from the other, they kiss. the one who killed this said relative is a disturbingly-feminine demon of some sort.

basicly I hate anything like inuyasha.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:54PM
bobby_the_kid at 4:33PM, Oct. 29, 2007
(offline)
a cliche i like is:

random violence.

i watched the entire titanic movie for when the funnel crushes the guy.

a cliche i hate is:

those stupid rapper movies where white people are “stupid”.

racism goes both ways.

another one i hate is bitchy “girlfriend”
that one is annoying.
WEEEEEEE!flesh eating hamsters and happy hour girlie drinks make good bobby!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
Sidwarrious at 4:36PM, Oct. 29, 2007
(online)
fave cliche-Stoic hero who is badass

least fave cliche-soo many, but overeager main character
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:36PM
kyupol at 4:59PM, Oct. 29, 2007
(online)
- The power upping. “Haha… you never seen my ultimate technique and I'm just warming up!!!”

- The hero wins a fight because of either:
a) a new philosophy
b) inspiration from his girlfriend… or someone else telling him to get up and fight… or do not die… blablabla.
c) everything is much clearer now

- The underdog. The hero always has to be the underdog and still manages to win. That kind of stuff is inspirational. Like the Rocky Balboa movies… or everytime they make a movie based on a historical or ongoing war where the protagonists are facing overwhelming odds. As in… from a tactical perspective, the protagonists shoulda losed… like being outnumbered or outgunned… but due to the heroic feats of the main protagonist, the enemy was forced to retreat.

- Any form of drama during a fight.

- humanizing the villain (NARUTO!!!).

- When the hero or any important character gets hit… its always in a non-fatal area… or someone or some circumstance saves them. Then if ever they die from a fatal hit, they get to say 2 pages of script worth of drama.

Dislikes

- The lies about romance. If anybody takes any of that crap spouted in romance movies/comics seriously, you're in for the big surprise when its YOUR turn…

- Psychopathic bitches made out to look cool. Like wtf. I have no problem with “strong women” or women being the hero… but theres a difference between strong and being plain evil while being made to look like cool shit. Beating up guys for shallow reasons like being in the wrong place at the wrong time is funny at first but too much of it gets annoying.

lol I guess I like too many cliches.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
giadrosich at 7:44PM, Oct. 29, 2007
(offline)
One of the Worst: The “It's your destiny” sort of storyline. If it is their destiny, what is the point of the movie/story?! We all know how it's going to turn out! I like there to at least be the possibility of faliure…

One of the Favorite: Rednecks with guns. Gotta love people whose IQ's are lower than the caliber of bullet they are using. You know, the kind of plot where they die a horrible death right after saying “Hey ya'll, watch this!”
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM
Frostflowers at 1:58AM, Oct. 30, 2007
(online)
Favourite Cliche
I'm a One Piece fan - it's practically a given that I love the cliche of the hero being beaten and bloodied and DEAD on the ground, and then getting up one last time and you KNOW he's going to win because he's just that stubbornly badass. (I am of the opinion that One Piece does this well. Other shounen-anime are…. somewhat ridiculous about it; One Piece is ridiculous all the way, which makes it more natural :P)

Most Hated Cliche
Designated Love Interest. Oh my god, the Designated Love Interest. This goes hand in hand with my hatred of flat and stereotypical characters, but the Designated Love Interest is the worst - he or she (most often a she) has NO other function but to fall in love with the hero, and be someone for the hero to fall in love with. She has no impact on the plot, doesn't contribute anything of worth, and is just there to be a pretty face. Gah! *sporks*
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Mutation at 5:47AM, Oct. 30, 2007
(online)
I have a few favorites and hates,

Favorite Cliches: When in a yaoi pairing the one that takes top has longer hair. XD It's so wackily true.
When a character has a single, in the background flaw, that in the end screws them over.
When there is some ancient race that killed itself off.

Least favorites: When the main character is a clutz with no backbone, in both guys and girls. (Idiotic stubborn idealist is okay though.)
When there is a bad backstory to the villian. Ugh, Captin Vertigo.
When no one on the hero side dies.

KALA-Dan! Reverse Trap!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
imshard at 6:00AM, Oct. 30, 2007
(offline)
Favorite cliche:

I play video games,therefore I am a violent person. (i like it because its amusing)

Least favorite: You have to be socially defunct and/or ugly to work in computers.
Don't be a stick in the mud traditionalist! Support global warming!

Tech Support: The Comic!! Updates Somedays!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:57PM
Rutger at 1:00PM, Oct. 30, 2007
(offline)
Frostflowers
the Designated Love Interest is the worst - he or she (most often a she) has NO other function but to fall in love with the hero, and be someone for the hero to fall in love with. She has no impact on the plot, doesn't contribute anything of worth, and is just there to be a pretty face. Gah! *sporks*

Like that chick in Transformers? This is like the exact description of her role in that movie. Besides the obvious ‘pulling in male viewers’ thing, of course.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:14PM
AQua_ng at 1:25PM, Oct. 30, 2007
(offline)
Rutger
Besides the obvious ‘pulling in male viewers’ thing, of course.

That's funny. I would have thought that the titular massive fighting robots would secure that demographic.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:57AM
Rutger at 1:30PM, Oct. 30, 2007
(offline)
AQua_ng
Rutger
Besides the obvious ‘pulling in male viewers’ thing, of course.

That's funny. I would have thought that the titular massive fighting robots would secure that demographic.

Better safe than sorry? Iunno, ask…I forgot the director's name, but ask him. The more eye candy, the better.

Actually, I thought there should be more robots…there wasn't enough robots.

Oh! That brings me to another cliche I hate! Jazz dies first. Black dude dies first. What is up with that?

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:14PM
Mutation at 7:50PM, Oct. 30, 2007
(online)
Yeah, Transformers, fairly good movie, but I have to agree with the whole sucky character thing.

Hell, Jazz should have had more lines. He seriously only had two, I swear!

And it was a movie about transformers, Optimus Prime and Megatron all over the place in adds and posters and toys, but hell, they have two dimentional main character humans that I can name off the role, but not the character name.

That and since I'm a villain fan, more Starscream and Megatron woulda been cool.

KALA-Dan! Reverse Trap!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
Sidwarrious at 11:24PM, Oct. 30, 2007
(online)
If you went to see Transformers wanting a good story, get the hell out of the world I live in. Die. It was a movie based. on. toys. Get it? Story=no. The names should give it away. And they got their name on their home planet so they didn't take them up on Earth. If you remember-BUMBLEBEE, there are no bees on Cybertron and BONECRUSHER, they are made of metal even in their Prime forms. And they buld up Sam so when he gets his true name, Spike, and then gets his awesome battle armor it'll all be worth it. And Jazz dying, if a hero had to die, it should have been Jazz. No Optimus no sequel. No Ratchet, another bad name, no doctor and they'd die. Well…I suppose what's his name coulda died.

This is the wrong place for that though so…

Another fave cliche: Smartass hero

Bad cliche: Villian losing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:36PM
DAJB at 1:45AM, Oct. 31, 2007
(online)
Can't promise these are my most hated and loved (I'm bound to think of others later!) but …

Hated

The super hero who never gets fired from his day job, even though he disappears from the office three or four times a day to go stop a mugging, save a child or rescue a kitten in a tree. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Mr Kent!)

The ending where the hero beats the bad guy by simply pummelling him, doing nothing different to what he's done in every one of their previous encounters, even though that approach has always failed in the past. (Yes, that'll be you then, Mr HellBoy!)

When the murderer is finally revealed to be (gasp!) the second least likely suspect!

Loved

When the final scene of a story comes as a surprise, even though there were just enough clues earlier on to make you feel you could have seen it coming if only you'd been as clever as the writer!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Whirlwynd at 1:05PM, Oct. 31, 2007
(online)
Favorite cliche - hmm. It'd probably be the comedy-relief sidekick. It's nice if they have personality and depth, though.

But no other cliche annoys me more than the little kid with all the answers. “I knew it all along, I TOLD you guys! But no one listens to me cause I'm a KID! *scoff/rolleyes*”

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
Custard Trout at 1:08PM, Oct. 31, 2007
(offline)
Favourites:

When someone who thinks they're tough challenges the hero and gets their arse kicked seven ways to Sunday.

Hero's with no heroic attributes at all/unlikely gang of misfits.

The final duel.

Insane villains, the ones who you know are utter psychopaths the second they appear (see every Batman villain ever conceived).

Dramatic revealing of someones identity.

Anything with aliens, time/space travel and alternate dimensions.

Hated:

Villains who are ‘good on the inside’ as a pathetic attempt at depth. I wouldn't mind so much if everybody and their grandmother didn't fucking do it. Villains can still be 3D and be motivated by greed, hate, or just being plain nasty.

'Pretty boy' villains.

Anything in anime/manga.

Incompetent villains (look at LeChuck from the Monkey Island games, he's hilarious and he's evil although a lot of people seem to disagree. LeChuck opens the gates to hell, kills thousands of people and turns them into undead pirate slaves and traps Guybrush in a world constructed from his own memories after torturing him with a voodoo doll. Still think he's not evil?).

Tragedy as a replacement for character development.

Characters introduced for the sole reason of being killed off (even more annoying when everyone makes a big deal out of it).

Gay subplots. You want gay characters? Fine. You want gay relationships? Absolutely 100% peachy keen with me. Just don't make a huge fucking deal out of it. When one of my friends announced he was gay, everyone basically said ‘yeah, ok’ and we all got on with whatever we were doing. We didn't go ‘YOU’RE GAY? CRAPPY SUBPLOT TIME HOORAY!

Lengthy exposition. Especially when the plots really fucking obvious anyway.

Extra fun happy endings where everything is just super dandy and everybody lives happily ever after. I don't mind happy endings, but why can't the heroes best friend who made a heroic sacrifice JUST STAY FUCKING DEAD? Why can't they not manage to save everyone? Why can't there be any sort of permanent damage? Somehow stabbing the villain in the face reverses everything back to how it was before, minus one villain and plus cake for everyone.

Forgot these two:

The ‘fat guy’.

Technobabble.

Wow, I didn't realise I'd written so much.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
krazy_taco at 1:39PM, Oct. 31, 2007
(offline)
i love the types of cliche i use in my comic. like someone stepping in just before someone is killed or something like that. i hate the cliche where the entire story is predictable. some cliche is needed in a story but not too much.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
Custard Trout at 1:49PM, Oct. 31, 2007
(offline)
krazy_taco
i love the types of cliche i use in my comic. like someone stepping in just before someone is killed or something like that. i hate the cliche where the entire story is predictable. some cliche is needed in a story but not too much.

You like Deus Ex Machina?

You disgust me.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
D0m at 2:05PM, Oct. 31, 2007
(online)
I love it- LOVE it when the main character gets their ass kicked. I don't really like them coming back and destroying the villain afterwards, but I just like the vulnerability.

I'm sorry, but Nadya's -so- taking a punch to the face. Pretty women deserve to be as violent as big, burly men too.

I love dimension and timeplay. Can't get enough of that stuff.

I really hate the evil being that's so evil he/she loses all dimension.

I also hate when the hero isn't held accountable for whatever wrongs they've done.

I love gritty, gruesome fights like in the Bourne movies. Lots of fists flying and blood, and over in about 20 seconds- like real life, you know?

I love- LOVE a strong female lead character.

Nadya- a tale about what happens to SOME of us when we die.

Currently: Nadya is awake and asking more relevant questions.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
crazyninny at 2:35PM, Oct. 31, 2007
(online)
I hate it when in a movie, characters that should die don't die due to ‘redeption’, girls that are seen as the most beutifuliest woman in town, but really isn't that much of a looker, and they just seem to be sssooo prefect.
And another is that everyone in the movies always seem to have a lot of money. Always dressed nicely, and don't have to come to work for days on end… Really, what the hell?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 2:57PM, Oct. 31, 2007
(offline)
TitanOne
-Laser beams that make noise in space! Think about it. Lasers do not make noise even in the air, let alone the vacuum of space. But it's fun.
Oh, on that account, lasers also can not bounce off of each other.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:05AM
krazy_taco at 3:52PM, Oct. 31, 2007
(offline)
Custard Trout
krazy_taco

You like Deus Ex Machina?

You disgust me.
hey that is a great manga!
D:

:]

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
kyupol at 3:52PM, Oct. 31, 2007
(online)
Here's some things I like and hate at the same time:

1) The hero making jokes or smartass comments in the middle of a fight

Usually common in superhero comics. I like it if its done in moderation… but too much of it makes it suck.

2) Screaming the name of the moves

- “ULTRAELECTROMAGNETIC TOPS!!!!” “LASER SWORD!!!” “KAGE-BUNSHIN-NO-JUTSU!!!”
- Common in Japanese anime. Again… moderation its cool but too much of it sux.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Aurora Moon at 5:35PM, Oct. 31, 2007
(offline)
Whirlwynd
Favorite cliche - hmm. It'd probably be the comedy-relief sidekick. It's nice if they have personality and depth, though.

But no other cliche annoys me more than the little kid with all the answers. “I knew it all along, I TOLD you guys! But no one listens to me cause I'm a KID! *scoff/rolleyes*”

lol, we're kinda opposite on that. Nothing annoys me more than the comedy relief sidekick… but then again, It's probably because I've seen so many movies and comics where they were so exaggerated and overdone to death.

and I like the clitche of the kid with all the answers… provided that he's not competely the “know it all”, if you know what I mean. But I like it when a Kid who witnessed something HUGE going on, if no adult believes him/her, takes it into his/her hands to do something about it.

It'd be nice if there was an adult who would believe him/her once in a while though.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon