Comic Talk and General Discussion *

What is your Favorite Cliche/Most Hated Cliche
Mutation at 9:11PM, Oct. 31, 2007
(online)
I'll add some hate/love/neutral comments.

Neutral:
Color Coded characters. You know how the fire mage wears red and the water dude wears blue? I'm okay with it in certain ways: If normal clothing isn't affected by this wackey cliche, it's okay with me.

Love:
I'm not sure it's a cliche, but I love mature kids who can fight, are polite, and are NOT sassy.

She quiet characters, that are nice. I don't care about their appearance. With the most honest love of people, perhaps a bit on the kicked puppy side. We don't have enough of those in real life.

Hate:
Characters that act sassy, cruel, mean, insult slinging, or whatnot for absolutely no reason other then the author thinks they look cool. I hate it enough when real people do it, I don't need to read about my experience in middle school over and over. I'm okay with slightly rude for a reason, but it's got to be a damn good reason.

Loudmouths and braggers, as soon as they pop up, you know they're going to get their butt kicked so hard, why bother any more with it? A little more subdued arrogance is allright with me.

As a side note: Why are people saying, ‘You disgust me’ or ‘People who ’ ‘ should die’? I mean, we're talking about cliches. It should not matter, (though I know it is sadly true that to some it does) what a person likes or dislikes. I mean, for best this discussion is curiousity, or research for comic makers to figure out a cliche most people dislike and avoid it.

KALA-Dan! Reverse Trap!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
Sidwarrious at 9:14PM, Oct. 31, 2007
(online)
The purpose of the forums is to misinterpret everything everyoen says and get off subject. Right? Right?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:36PM
Dave7 at 10:39PM, Nov. 3, 2007
(online)
Favorite cliches:

When the hero and villian continuously battle it out but can never kill each other- not out of mercy but because they're just too evenly matched.

When a hero has a nemesis. And not some corporate exec that sends out cronies to kill the hero for him, I mean a REAL nemesis that goes in himself and just will not stop trying to kill the hero.

Women that appear sweet and gentle, but can easily kick the villain's ass.

Stories where the horrible monster loses, but does not die.

Hated cliches:

Stories that end with the forces of good making a permanent victory over evil, rather than just surpressing it temporarily.

When the sides of good and evil are too clearly explained (add some dimension or at least show the story from the “bad” guy's side for a change).

When the heroes have ungodly powerful weapons like a handheld nuke-launcher (not making this up; I've seen it before). Now if you give them a simple weapon and make them masterful wielders with it or have them know how to use it in unique ways, then that's actually kind of cool.

When the characters yell out their attack before or as they're doing it. When you're trying to kill someone you don't tell them what you're doing! It's for this reason why I hate most animes.
Post your concerns about the preview page! Support raw html! http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics
]http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics

“That is not dead can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons death may die.”
~H.P. Lovecraft

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 4:44PM, Nov. 4, 2007
(offline)
My new favourite cliche:

Completely intentional cliches.

My new hated cliche:

family guy copy-offs. heck, I hate family guy in general.

Sidwarrious
The purpose of the forums is to misinterpret everything everyoen says and get off subject. Right? Right?

That is the sad truth.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:54PM
jagris at 7:20PM, Nov. 4, 2007
(online)
Every cliche in Hot Fuzz except for the Board of Shadowy Figures. XD

Really well done montages. I won't sit there and watch you (hopefully) experience your epiphany if the cinematography sucks. (Continuous fancy-dan cutscenes and the like.)

Female leads that are there to get something DONE.

Dislikes:

Female leads/secondaries that are specifically there as:
- chesty arm candy for the ‘hero’ or ‘villain’
- the infinitely tooooo butch/beefy for their own good bodyguard/Epic!Final Boss
- have the deus ex machina for the movie (secret knowledge that suddenly reveals itself, “oh, I totally have the key for that gate to Hell in my purse~!”, knows who the bad guy is and how to defeat him without breaking a nail, etc…)
- or that are so dense that they cannot be used as a flotation device in the event of an emergency.

Chase scenes that end without some innocent bystanders' car getting flipped, smashed, or cut in half.

The Old Master that can beat the crap out of you with his BEARD. Especially if the lead is supposed to have ‘no previous training’ but ends up kicking the old man's butt in the second or third fight.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
GOD_OF_DEATH at 7:03PM, Nov. 18, 2007
(offline)
Im in the skater cliche, and I hate, emphasis on the hate, the preps.
I miss BABAARS NINJAAR house, great memories, Ah, APPLES to APPLES
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
Sea_Cow at 8:54PM, Nov. 18, 2007
(offline)
I truly hate the one angsty, long-haired guy who gets all the girls, wins all the fights, kills most of the main villains, and acts the “coolest.”

Goddamn anime.

I kind of like the anime clichee where the evil organization is led by a council of some stereotypical number.(Seven, thirteen) Actually, it's mostly because coming up with such a story element is fun to do when I'm making my own story.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:25PM
ifelldownthestairs at 5:16PM, Dec. 8, 2007
(online)
at the moment i can't stand the whole flawless protagonist thing.

the main reason for that is because a buddy and i watched rocky balboa, one of the most unnecessary movies ever made… and we realized that sylvester stallone is a total hero.

anyone else who saw that movie will know what i'm talking about. the way he gives away food at his restaurant, the way he discouraged racial slurs (that part of the movie seemed thrown in at the last minute just so that sylvester stallone could assert that he is in fact against racism), not to mention that woman's son…

“oh that must be your son”
“no, THAT'S my son…”

*pointing to black kid*

“…OOOHHHH well that's okay by me” or whatever the hell he said…

yeah. i hate that.

i can't think of anything i love, but i just had to rant about that somewhere.
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
http://www.drunkduck.com/i_fell_down_the_stairs
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
sukaiyume at 7:01AM, Dec. 9, 2007
(offline)
I know this probably isn't a cliche but in terms of webcomics, BL is being over used and is getting annoying. Some people don't even try to fit it into an actuall storyline

Oh yeah and I hate flawless characters. They don't exist in real life so if you want your comic to be beleivable, then don't put them in.

Oh but I like bishies
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
Ozoneocean at 7:58AM, Dec. 9, 2007
(online)
I was just listening to a radio adaption of VI Wachowski with Kathleen Turner (a female detective), and it was just SO full of stupid cliches:

*She has a friend in the police force who has enough rank to help her, bend the rules for her and who is really protective of her because he's enamoured by her.

*All the bad guys he interviews and all other suspects are also enamoured of her and no matter what their social status they treat her as a social equal even if they're the most snobby bastards in the world, just because she's a detective and they find her attractive.

She has a friend who's a doctor and when she gets injured the nurse is being mean and not letting her make phonecalls and such (stupid cliche in itself), when her friendly doctor lady comes in and babies the hell out of her…

Oh man… I was all set to enoy the thing but cliche after cliche… I had an overdose :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
Nyx at 11:58AM, Dec. 9, 2007
(online)
Hate:

Random, last minute character development just so you can kill them off. You can't leave an impact on the audience if they don't care who dies, but jeez.
Show a picture of your loved one to anybody and you're DEAD.
Other bad example is that girl from the first episode of Elfen Lied.

Sob stories. Oh boo hoo. I get tired of stories where people are crying all oer the place. (Elfen Lied again).

BL with no point.

Makeover stories or when people change for other people, like the girl from the Clueless movie. She was already an awesome person to begin with. >_<

Gundams and giant robots.

Love:

Creepy, bad ass villains. Akabane from Get Backers comes to mind.

Villains that are all bark and no bite or incompetent. Maybe like Jack Spicer. Idiots that try to be soooo bad ass but fail miserably.

Characters with bad tempers.

(Not really a chiche but…) Anime that rises above the usual stereotypes. The rare original stories or ones that are outside the typical art style, like Tekkonkinkreet.

Like SarahN said, psychotic freakouts.

Randomness, but not expected random.(CHEESEMONKEYPIE!)

Dumb heroes that end up being villains because they're so convinced they're doing the right thing.

Well done parodies of cliches.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:19PM
Chernobog at 5:24PM, Dec. 9, 2007
(offline)
Hmm.

The wussy (tho' possibly talented) guy in a manga who puts up with an inordinate amount of abuse from an immature protagonist female (Kurohime and Gyo are good examples) while he looks the other way constantly and makes cutesy sweat drops.

Similarly, I dislike ‘harem’ works that feature basically the same guy, but surrounded by 3-8 times of said brats. (Negima, Tenchi Muyo, and Love Hina)

Martial Artists that get so strong that they're basically flying around. (Matrix, Bleach, & DBZ). I call it Superman Syndrome, and consider it the ear mark of jumping the shark.
Related, Martial Art Tournaments in Shonen works.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon