Media Megaforum

What is your Favourite Cartoon of any type [disscussion]
Mr_Broccoli at 6:16AM, May 24, 2010
(offline)
Alright, So we are going to Discuss other peoples favourite Cartoons at any rate and we will respond some feedback about the cartoon, Well i will if i know of it, if i do not then someone else shall. you may post more then one cartoon or anime or whatever… so yeah, Just respond about the cartoon EXAMPLE: I really like Sailor moon too, But do not make it look like school work just RESPOND. But respong like a human being and NOT i repeat NOT (i luved space gost) Try to be lit enough for me to understand what your saying, and do not reply like that do a little explaining, At least 1-2 sentances, and not that kind.

Before you post your favourite, Reply to the last in at least 1-3 sentances… You can post the plot and links if you would like, But im not sure if we can post links so if someone says we can't, We will not.

Ill start.

Favourite: Dragon Ball Z

WHY: Because DBZ was a great cartoon with really great Animation and storyline. I also read all 26 Canadian published Mangas which each had 8-15 tales in them, So when they were published in weekly shonen jump each tale was ONe manga. So it was wuite a bit. The manga got me hooked because i knew the show since i was little but i was too young to understand anything.. I also loved (And still do) playing the Budokai series. I still think the origanal Budokai rocks, and have it for my GameCube which i have to beat it and tangle cords for controller and outlets to work! And its lucky, Because its one of my 4 out of 20 sum games i still play (Super Mario Sunshine, LoZ Wind Waker, LoZ Four Swords Adventures, Dragonball Z Budokai) Im currently on episode 37 and for those of you who like DragonBall Z im at the part where Goku is coming to Planet Namek, If you guys need an explanation of the show, If you have never seen it its beneath this (NO I DO NOT EXPECT YOU TO POST THIS MUCH WRITING! LIKE I SAID 1-2 SENTANCES IS OKAY…)

(All this is optional benath)

PLOT: (This involves DB and because i ripped it from Wiki! :D )

The series begins with a monkey-tailed boy named Goku befriending a teenage girl named Bulma, and together they go on a quest to find the seven magic Dragon Balls. Along the way, they meet and befriend a plethora of martial artists. Goku also undergoes rigorous training regimes and educational programs in order to fight in the World Martial Arts Tournament, a competition involving the most powerful fighters in the world. Outside the tournaments, Goku faces diverse villains such as Emperor Pilaf, the Red Ribbon Army, the demon Piccolo Daimao and his offspring Piccolo Jr., who eventually becomes Goku's ally.

As a young adult, Goku meets his older brother Raditz, who tells him that they come from a race of extraterrestrials called Saiyans. The Saiyans had sent Goku to Earth as an infant to conquer the planet for them, but he suffered a severe head injury soon after his arrival and lost all memory of his mission. Goku refuses to help Raditz continue the mission, after which he begins to encounter other enemies from space, most notably the Saiyan prince Vegeta, who becomes his rival and, eventually, his ally as well. He later encounters Frieza, the galactic tyrant responsible for the destruction of the Saiyan race, whose actions cause Goku to transform into a legendary Super Saiyan. After an epic battle on the planet Namek, Goku defeats Frieza, avenging the lives of millions across the universe.

Four years later, a group of androids from the former Red Ribbon Army appear, seeking revenge against Goku. During this time, an evil life form called Cell emerges and, after absorbing two of the androids to increase his power, holds his own martial arts tournament to decide the fate of the Earth, but is eventually defeated by Goku's first child Son Gohan. Seven years later, Goku is drawn into another battle for the universe against an extraterrestrial named Majin Buu. Joined by Vegeta and Gohan, Goku succeeds in destroying the evil half of Buu and the good half of Buu settles down with them. Ten years later, at another World Martial Arts Tournament, Goku meets the evil Buu's human reincarnation, Uub. At the end of the series, Goku takes Uub away on a journey to train him as the Earth's next defender.

(All you need is one paragraph of typing, If you read all of this then good, you will see this message :P So get some feedback on some TV ANIME AND CARTOONS!)
RAWWWR!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
mlai at 2:00AM, May 26, 2010
(online)
Just so you know, Buu is not an extraterrestrial being. He's an extradimensional being. You know when ppl die in DBZ, they're said to be sent to “another dimension”? That dimension is the Afterlife. So, you can say Buu's a “demon” or “devil”. That's why so many strange magic-like powers cropped up during his arc, for example his ability to turn people into cookies.

So, the different categories of enemies in the history of DBZ:

Piccolo Sr. = Alien, but a self-styled “demon king.” Namekian powers do cross into magic, i.e. tap other dimensions, rather than just straight-up power level increases.

Raditz/Freeza/etc = Aliens, like Superman.

17, 18, Red Ribbon Doctor = Superpowered cyborgs. Not really “androids” because they were all human once, and all are still partially organic.

Cell = Genetically-engineered super-chimera.

Majin Buu etc. = Extradimensional super-entity. A demon/devil. “Majin” means Demon World/ Devil World in Jpnese.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
The Gravekeeper at 9:44AM, May 26, 2010
(offline)
My favourite: Futurama. This one is so well-known on the internet that I don't think I really need to describe it.

Mr. Broccoli, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on DBZ's animation quality. Yes, it worked, but there was quite a bit of stock footage and sometimes bits and pieces of the image would just go missing for a frame or two. I'm sorry, but the animation did suffer from anime's habit of producing episodes as quickly and cheaply as possible. Anime films, however, tend to have a much higher standard for their animation and it shows.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
isukun at 6:12PM, May 26, 2010
(online)
A demon/devil. “Majin” means Demon World/ Devil World in Jpnese.

Actually majin translates to either a magical or demonic person (more likely magical in this context). Makai would be the demon realm.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
Evil Emperor Nick at 9:18AM, May 27, 2010
(offline)
mlai
17, 18, Red Ribbon Doctor = Superpowered cyborgs. Not really “androids” because they were all human once, and all are still partially organic.

Cell = Genetically-engineered super-chimera.

You are forgetting 16 and 19 whom where wholely mechanical. In Japanese I'm told they are all simply called “Artifical Humans”.

Actually I've told someone did a recut of of DBZ to strip out the filler and bring the pacing of the series closer to that of the manga and that it is much improved. DBZ has a fair bit of flaws with stalling, recycling and other various delaying tactics to drag the series out. I don't have DBZ but when I first started watching it I came in othe android saga the shortest and arguably fastest moving of all the story arcs. I did and still enjoy this section of DBZ however now that I've seen the majority of the series I must say as a cartoon my apreciate has dropped considerably. This isn't even taking into english only issue like some of the horrible translation choices that were made such as naming an attack “Special Beam Cannon”. Plus as it goes on you can tell the Akira just didn't have his heart in it anymore as you get into the end of the Cell saga and much of the Boo saga.

Futurama would score much better with me if not for the TV movies which rather fell flat. I kind of left the series on a sour note with me.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
therealtj at 11:00AM, May 27, 2010
(online)
Boondocks. I grew around people who used to live in “the hood” and they told stories that seemed to parallel this show. Honestly, Boondocks is one of the best social satires I've seen.

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
Genejoke at 10:25AM, June 7, 2010
(online)
Transformers G1
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
scimitar2 at 9:57AM, Jan. 27, 2011
(online)
Here are two of my favourites that where canceled after their first seasons:

Wolverine and the X-men

This is a good fresh take on the team we all know and love. It was hard to figure out where this series takes place in the time line of everything, but it's best to just watch it as it's own stand alone thing. I think after watching a good chunk of episodes even someone totally unfamiliar with the characters would love it. I found myself getting very excited during certain episodes. I have no idea why they canceled it, but it's definitely better than any other depiction of X-men (even if it's not “faithful” to origins and stories from the comics), and they should really stop trying to make live action movies and go back to these awesome cartoons.

Clone High

This show is more than a few years gone now, but you may be able to catch reruns every now and then. It's one of the funniest shows ever. Better than Family Guy. Better than current Simpsons. I like Futurama a lot, so it's hard to say it's better, but it's definitely of the same caliber. It had some pretty big name voices as the main characters (Will Forte, Nicole Sullivan, ect.) and a lot of guests too (Jack Black, Mandy Moore, ect.) I don't know why this show never caught on. I guess it was lack of publicity, because I don't think I heard of it until it was done (or maybe on it's way out) but I loved it instantly. The premise is there is a high school of teenage clones of historical figures. I can only imagine the places it could have gone in following seasons…
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
itsjustaar at 2:36AM, March 3, 2011
(offline)
Oh goodness, this is tough.

Secret of NIMH II

I'm just gonna say this right now. For whatever reason, I seem to be strangely liking this now. I recall a time when I loathed it; the animation is pretty bad, the storytelling disappointing, and the overall feel seemingly more like a parody than a true take on a sequel to book or the original film.

I'm sitting there with my head in a cheese grater wondering why a mouse suggests the optional use of underwear, even though he's nude from the bottom down (as is the rest of his population), the joke now came full circle more than 2 years after I had rented it.

I like this film in the sense that it's the Ed Wood animated distribution for the masses.
“Keeping Up with Thursday” - Updated Every 3 Days!
“ZombieToons Must Die” - hiatus. D:
Genejoke at 6:39AM, March 3, 2011
(online)
secret of nimh has a sequel?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
Abt_Nihil at 6:42AM, March 3, 2011
(offline)
The “response” rule of this thread doesn't seem to be taken all that seriously, does it? :P Well, since no one has responded to Genejoke's mention of TF G1 yet, and I haven't seen either Secret of Nimh II, nor Clone High, nor Wolverine and the X-Men, I shall respond to TF G1:

I don't get it. I get the basic idea. Transforming robots, who have personalities, and, for lack of a better word, “heart”. Somehow, it's a powerful concept, but when I watched G1 recently, I was shocked by how poorly it was done. G1 has some of the most jumpy, incoherent, senseless plots I have ever seen on TV. Individual scenes don't seem to have any meaning at all, it's as if the writers/directors forgot what they were working on every five minutes. Which might explain why they use the same concept for every episode, though - they simply have a very short attention span and forgot that they've had the decepticons rob a power station like, ten times already? Things keep happening randomly and for no reason at all. Transformers can fly, like they are Superman. And I don't mean those that transform into planes or helicopters. Optimus Prime isn't supposed to be able to fly like Superman. It's just silly. I realize I'm being harsh - I don't mean to just bash G1, or hurt anyone's feelings (sorry if I did) - at times it can be silly fun, but after all the TF fanboys bashed the Michael Bay movies for their lack of coherent plot, it amazed me that the original series wasn't any better in that department at all.

Now as for my own picks: I love lots and lots of cartoons, from the WB and Disney cartoons, to typical 80s action/adventure cartoons, to anime, etc. etc. But if I have to single out my absolute all-time favs, I would have to name these:

Batman - The Animated Series
Probably the first “serious” cartoon that I watched as a young teen. I've always had an affinity for Batman, but this show took it to a whole new level. Unlike most cartoons, this one isn't cheesy, it doesn't talk down to its audience, and many times, it has real depth. The design is completely fresh and yet classic, it references/incorporates so many art styles I love, while being completely original. And it's perfectly tailored to the animation - many shows show some fundamental split between how they were meant to be animated, and how they actually turned out (due to the difficulties that come out of outsourcing animation overseas, low budgets, etc.), but this show has actually made the simplifying overseas animation work. It has completely changed the landscape of US cartoons – even though there's never been another US cartoon I've loved as much. And most importantly, many of the classic characters that are featured on this show have made sense to me for the very first (and also, last) time.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Many people know Gainax for earlier or later work, so they know that they're known for silly, parody-type, over-the-top shows, which are like second-hand anime - they are basically anime about anime. NGE is one of the few shows that actually takes this method and infuses it with depth and meaning (with FLCL being a close second in that regard). Qualitatively, NGE is probably the most well-made show before the advent of CG animation on TV (again, compare FLCL as a “digital” anime). But NGE is also highly controversial, and many people hate it. However, NGE is 100% immune against the sort of criticism which attacks a lack of craft; so, the primary goal of criticism is the vagueness of it all, the pretentiousness, the “emo” characters, etc. These are all aspects which I hate about other shows, but NGE has made it work perfectly for me. It's written perfectly, the characters are three-dimensional and well-developed, and again, I never felt the authors insult my intelligence. It's a mixture of a solid surface story that reflects a lot of anime clichees, but gives way to the most neatly woven web of intense psychological drama I have ever seen.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
Genejoke at 6:58AM, March 3, 2011
(online)
G1 is mostly childhood nostalgia for me.

Batman the animated series was great, I think it is still one of the best versions of batman in any form.

Wolverine and the X-men, had some stuff going for it but the whole wolverine as the main hero thing was counter productive. Sure wolverine is popular and I understand the marketing decision but it didn't work so well overall.
Hguyver at 4:07PM, March 3, 2011
(online)
Genejoke
Wolverine and the X-men, had some stuff going for it but the whole wolverine as the main hero thing was counter productive. Sure wolverine is popular and I understand the marketing decision but it didn't work so well overall.

Very true, in terms of character, Cyclops should've been the one trying to put the team back together. He's always been about X-men. Wolverine is suppose to be the Moody loner getting broken up over Jean's dissapearance.

Also, I really liked Spectacular Spider-man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
mlai at 1:09AM, March 4, 2011
(online)
Favorite cartoon…? Well, I won't name Japanese-speaking animes, then. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet: Avatar The Last Airbender.

Okay, the story has its “issues”. One, it's primarily made for children. Two, I'm solidly on the Zuko-Kitara ship, the chemistry was just brimming over the cusp despite the efforts of the writers, and yet the writers burned that ship completely for a safe soppy forced sparkless romance between Aang and Kitara AND THAT I WILL NEVER FORGIVE.

But anyways, it doesn't talk down to its young audience and that is good. Why is it a “favorite”? …HAVE YOU SEEN ITS ACTION SCENES?!?? The best of them rival anything Japan ever put out. This is the best animated magic kung fu you will ever find. Oh, the drama and characters are well-written too.

Genejoke
secret of nimh has a sequel?
No. No, it does not.
–Jedi Hand Wave–
THERE IS NO SEQUEL TO THE SECRET OF NIMH.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
Genejoke at 6:17AM, March 4, 2011
(online)
Someone
Also, I really liked Spectacular Spider-man.

That was really good actually.

And agreed Avatar was awesome. Shame about the film, that was terrible.
I Am The 1337 Master at 2:23PM, March 4, 2011
(offline)
MAD TV

Adventure Time

Dexter's Lab

My Life As a Teenage Robot

Johnny Bravo.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
ozoneocean at 5:43AM, March 7, 2011
(online)
I Am The 1337 Master
Dexter's Lab
I used to be adicted to that!
Specially with Mako doing his Conan type narration over the end credits each time. Fricken awesome!

Sealab 2021 too, at least the early episodes. Because that was so amazingly, stupidly funny. Even better than Aqua Ten Huger force, (only because it wasn't quite as gross… to many skinned alive jokes T_T)

Currently it's Stoked.
The stories aren't really that clever, it's all about teen kids surfing at their summer job while working at a resort… But whatever, it's funny enough, and not badly written either. But what draws me in every time is the look!
That Canadian animation studio has been doing that flat style of 2D animation for a while over a few different projects, but they really mastered the look with this one! Very pretty stuff.
It's like sugary treats for my aesthetic senses. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
DarkGesen at 2:21AM, March 10, 2011
(online)
Yes, I agree with mlai, Avatar was awesome.
However I disagree with the pairing of Zuko and Katara!!
I'm not gonna start arguing about one specific character matchup, because that's not really what this threads about.
Someone mentioned Boondocks. That is hilarious.
Someone else mentioned Transformers G1.
Although it is terribly written
Example: Shortly after the events of the movie, the decepticons are pretty much on the ropes.
Decepticon 1 says “Without the energon cubes, we're doomed”
Decepticon 2 says “Yeah, well with them, we're doomeed”
Decepticon 3 says “Face it. We're doomed.”

You couldn't be that lame if you tried!!
Besides, the cheesiness is what made it.

My contribution to this would be One Piece. Admittedly I tend to read it rather than qatch it, but the anime is awesome and really funny.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
patrickdevine at 5:52PM, March 10, 2011
(online)
I'll have to third Batman TAS. I don't think I can really say anything about it that's not been said, not only was it not like anything ever made before but there's not really been anything like it ever since.
By the way the movie based on it, Mask of the Phantasm, was also really good.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
ayesinback at 6:52PM, March 10, 2011
(online)
Favorite cartoon of any type?

“Looney Tunes” — really, just Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and Elmer Fudd. Haven't come nearly as close to clocking in as many hours on anything else as I have with Bugs. He's irreverent, clever, a great impressionist (one of the windows into what was current during the 40s), and it was through Bugs that I found my first appreciation for opera.

Disney's Silly Symphonies: whimsical and light

For just beautiful animation (as in color and dramatic effect, not detail and precision): Max Fleischer's Superman. And I like Coco, too.

And there was one animated film that I saw on TV when I was 4? 5? It was a Japanese story/myth/legend of a man and a woman who had fallen in love but one was bewitched and became a swan and they had to part. Maybe one of them died? A tragedy that made me cry for several nights, but I loved it. Have no idea how long the film ran, and certainly don't know the title, but I still remember how beautiful it was.

And Dexter's Lab is great, too. (DIDI)
under new management
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
meemjar at 5:14PM, March 15, 2011
(offline)
POPEYE the Sailor.

You can keep Superman and all the others, Popeye was the first comic/cartoon muscleman.

Bugs Bunny ranks a very close second for me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
bravo1102 at 12:01AM, March 16, 2011
(online)
Fleischer's Superman is beautifully animated and drawn and it's a great comic book story. Then you see so much from it pop up in so much anime.

Looney Tunes especially the uncut ones that weren't run to death on TV. Watch Super Rabbit which is the direct Looney Tunes take-off on the Fleischer Superman. See if you can find a print that has the Buy Bonds in this Theater trailer at the end to get the full effect.

Love it that Warner Brothers started putting the original accompanying cartoon with the movie on the DVDs. Watch Casablanca and then Hare Force with Bugs singing “As time goes by”. Then there's Humphrey Bogart from Treasure of Sierra Madre asking Bugs for money to help out a fellow American. I never got the reference until I saw the movie and the accompanying cartoon on the DVD. Specific cartoons were supposed to go with specific movies.

And opera? Let me put on my horned helmet and run around yodelling “Kill the wabbit!”

Mel Brooks took some of his greatest gags from Looney Tunes. And Animaniacs and Freakazoid returned the favor.

My favorites Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid, The Tick, Rocky and Bullwinkle, George of the Jungle and a real favorite from my childhood The Pink Panther. And one I was able to rewatch when Cartoon Network still ran classics Wait till your Father gets Home.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
itsjustaar at 4:03AM, March 25, 2011
(offline)
“Secret of NIMH 2” was done in response to people thinking the first movie was too dark that they couldn't see it, too scary that it wasn't happy enough, and that the death scene would inspire children to go out and make sure they eliminate all rats who could possibly be siding with that villainous Jenner rat.

…okay, I kid. lol.

It's just another one of those movie continuations which is inferior to the original. Continuity errors, curious dialogue, bewildering plot; compared to how the second NIMH book out, something is amiss. xD

TIMOTHY TO THE RESCUE!
mlai at 4:35AM, March 25, 2011
(online)
OMG without knowing anything about NIMH book 2, my dream (as in sleep dream) I had as a kid about a *real* (not the miserable direct-to-video) movie sequel is remarkably similar to the book's plot!!!

I dreamt about Tim, Thorn Valley, a pack of bad rats like Jenner, and flooding! I dreamt this before I even knew about the direct-to-video, nvm the 2nd book.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
itsjustaar at 3:17AM, April 3, 2011
(offline)
@mlai: You make me wanna switch my avatar to an old Justin picture I drew a few years back. xD I used to be heavy into the NIMH fandom for a short while.

Hm… as far as other cartoons, though, lemme think.

- Captain N, the Game Master: Oh come now, everyone knows the real star of the show was their interpretation of Puss'n'Boots. Despite being very inaccurate to the one based on the game, which in turn was Toei's. But hey! :D It was voiced by Goku, and he was awesome sexy.

- Cattanooga Cats: It's silly, it's funny, it's kinda adorable. Hippie cats and their bandwagon of Make Purr, Not War.

- Tenchi Muyo (earlier series iterations); I haven't caught up with this series in a good long while, but with Robotech and some Gundam, it used to appear on PBS on some nights. Really nice space anthology and the fun going around.

- that one anime with Lum Invader: So funny, it hurts.
isukun at 10:12AM, April 3, 2011
(online)
- that one anime with Lum Invader: So funny, it hurts.

Urusei Yatsura. Back when the Japanese actually cared about animation.
itsjustaar at 1:10AM, April 4, 2011
(offline)
So true. D:
Eunice P at 8:20AM, April 5, 2011
(online)
My favorite animated show is probably unknown in other parts of the world… It's called Qin's Moon and it's made in China. The animation motion and expressions isn't top notch but they do keep improving every season. The storyline have a lot of depth considering that it's based on a best seller novel.

Currently, I am waiting for season 4 to be released.

isukun at 3:09PM, April 5, 2011
(online)
The story must be pretty spectacular since the animation basically looks like bad in game cutscene animation.
Eunice P at 5:35PM, April 5, 2011
(online)
It is. When it first started, the quality of the animation was really poor but the storyline unexpectedly captured the attention of every viewers in China. It's the first animation series in China that took the entire China by storm and is now rated the best animation series there.

Now they are starting to notch one step up on the quality by introducing expressions in season 4.

It seems like the younger generations of China are now searching back their roots when arts really matters to them as the government is starting to lax the rules in controlling its animation industry.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved