Comic Talk and General Discussion *

What Makes You RAVE! (Happy Thread)
dueeast at 3:10PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
What always makes you happy or enthused (please keep it clean, folks! ;) )? I wanted to start a positive thread. We all need to rant or vent sometimes but I'm curious about the things the DD'ers love to do or be involved in, etc.

Aside from my faith, my wife and kids and the webcomics I'm involved in (Due East and Off Hours), I really enjoy all things Star Trek as well as being a musician (electric bass guitar) and singer. I also dig beautiful nature scenery (sunsets, sunrises, traveling to places I've never been before).

What things make you rave? B)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
D0m at 3:30PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(online)
My girlfriend, drawing, painting, video games, comics and movies make me happy. As far as -actions- I'd say updating Nadya and being proud of it, or getting something I've been expecting in the mail. :-)

Nadya- a tale about what happens to SOME of us when we die.

Currently: Nadya is awake and asking more relevant questions.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
CoyoteLongshot at 3:33PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
Well, with all the college work I'm doing these days, I really don't have too much time to rave. *tear* But when I do have time, and I'm not working on the comic or just chillin' with friends, I usually like to play video games (Which, not surprisingly, I'm going to college to learn how to make).

Right now I'm playing through Mass Effect. Epic.
I'm on the Hairway to Steven, baby!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:47AM
usedbooks at 3:36PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(online)
~Interacting with any kind of animal. Cats, dogs, and other domestic critters make me happy, but wild animals inspire real awe, especially if it is in nature with no one else around.

~Classic sitcoms. I'm a Get Smart fanatic. But I also feel good just watching I Love Lucy and old episodes of Laverne and Shirley.

~Case Closed/Detective Conan and Lupin III

~Classic murder mysteries, esp. Sherlock Homes and Agatha Christie books. Can't get enough of that stuff.

~Writing. Just writing. I never finish anything, but I love to write. I love all the daydreaming and brainstorming that goes along with it.

~Watching my brother play video games
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
Steely Gaze at 4:57PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
Writing is my one true love, and if given the opportunity I would just sit down and write for hours and hours about anything that comes to mind. I've only finished a handful of short stories, and my writing is of poor quality, but I love it and could not find a happier pastime.

Except maybe just sitting with my family and sharing a good laugh. Nothing in the world can beat a hearty laugh for curing whatever ails you.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
crazyninny at 6:57PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(online)
Really good stories, and songs always makes me happy for days and days.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
seventy2 at 7:58PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(online)
my wife…even tho we're having problems right now….it's still good to talk with her and hear from her….

and also, whenever someone compliments something…wether it be my looks, or my comic, my music etc….
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:28PM
Mashed at 8:48PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
like most of you so cleverly put it,

Being with people i love.

And eating! obviously!

but when i couldn't eat pogos for a month, and then i ate them again, i was not as happy as i thought I'd be… because i was disappointed in myself i suppose.
damn, never can enjoy a good ol' corndog again.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
Frostflowers at 12:57AM, Jan. 20, 2008
(online)
- My cats. My cats make me ridiculously happy (except when they wake me at four in the morning, standing on my chest and demanding to be fed, in loud, screechy cat-voices)

- My family (I'm one of those people who almost never argues with parents/siblings)

- Art. Comics, digital art of all kinds, painting - the sound of pencils on paper, and the feeling of sloshing your paintbrush in a cup of water after finishing a painting.

- Writing, even when it isn't going well. Short stories, novels, flash fiction - basically anything but poetry goes.

- And on that note; worldbuilding. There is hardly anything more fascinating than building a fictional world - even if fanatically reading anything you can get your hands on about, say, alluvial marshes might give you a headache.

- The hall of machines at the Swedish Museum of Technology:

- Stockholm's Vasa Museum, where you can see the almost-perfectly-preserved ship of the line, Vasa:

- Reading.

- Miyazaki movies (the perfect reproduction of 1920ies seaplanes in Porco Rosso gives my inner history nerd the happies.)

- and the list is probably much longer than this, but that's all I can think of right now.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
lastcall at 11:11AM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
This is a nice idea for a thread.

My husband and I were talking about this the other night (what makes us happy). I enjoy chatting with him because it makes me happy, yet keeps my mind busy (in a good way).

Drawing, though, is probably my ultimate source of happiness & tranquility. My mind basically goes to another place, and I'm atually not thinking at all. If someone asked me what I was thinking while I was drawing, I honestly couldn't tell them–I zone out, like a trance. …It allows me to escape and really calms me down, for some reason. Kind of like, in that movie Immortal Beloved, how Beethoven was at his calmest when he would sit down at his piano, put his ear to it, and just be at peace. (Not that I[m comparing myself to a genius like Beethoven–good god–I'm just trying to describe how I feel when I draw. lol! )
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
Klarga at 3:39PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
-Updating Earthbound PK.

-The book that I'm sending off to agents.

-The fact that some people actually forgive me here, and the ones that really hate me haven't found me yet.

-The story in graphic form class I'm going to be taking starting next Monday.
The unibrow in the avatar is an optical illusion
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
SeriousQuiche at 7:54PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
Drawing, My crazy friends, messy blankets on my bed(MAKING YOUR BED IS FOR THE WEAK), Baking cookies, laughing at nothing, The Presbyterian Church Group at my luverly college, Crayons and sidewalk chalk, C.S. Lewis, My Starry Night Umbrella, New Sketchbooks, and Writing short stories. Life is too short to be angry or sad too often, so find joy in every little thing you can ^-^
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:28PM
Doctor Shadow at 2:59AM, Jan. 21, 2008
(online)
Reading, writing, creating, watching my wife's art take shape as she goes from pencil to pen/paint. Talking with my good friends offline or on, playing various games and working in game development.

Numerous other things :)
A Ronin writer, a masterless samurai of the written word…
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Chronicles_of_Wyrden/
Updating: Thursdays. Now in glorious Ink Wash and Water Soluble Pencil! Reva's note: This is not created digitally, it's all hand drawn and inked.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
lastcall at 3:05AM, Jan. 21, 2008
(offline)
Apparently there was a forum thread on this before, because this was what I posted on my blog from the previous thread:

I love being around the ocean, sitting on the sand and just listening to the calming waves as they come in from their long journey, and go back out to make the cycle over and over again. That makes me happy.

I love weekends when I don't have a care in the world, my house is clean, my bills & mortgage are paid, and the weather is nice, and my husband and I go out to do some exploring. That makes me happy.

I love laughing with my husband. I love to make him laugh, and I'm pretty damn sure he loves to make me laugh, because we laugh almost all the time. I love being crazy with him, and not trying to be anything I'm not–just being myself. I love playing videogames with him, doing anything with him, and just laughing at the silliest things. That makes me happy.

I love cool rainy nights when the rain is softly hitting the ceiling, and I'm snuggled in bed with my husband and we're watching Farscape or Battlestar Galactica. That makes me happy.

I love sitting out on the balcony in the mornings, watching the sun come up as I drink a cup of chai tea, listening to the world wake up as the cows start to moo and the neighbor comes out to walk her dog, and just drinking the morning in. That makes me happy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
deleted-byrequest-03 at 11:35AM, Jan. 21, 2008
(offline)
I like to look at artwork (any form of it). I love music (both playing and listening to it). I also love to learn and get better at art and music.

I like to meet people with the same interests as me (not saying anything else about ‘people’, because I hate them).

I like to play video games that are entertaining and make me forget.

I like…….. to type sentences that start with ‘I like’.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
Pulse at 1:07PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(online)
hangin out with my friends…umm and listening to hyphy music!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
Renga Studio at 7:53AM, Jan. 26, 2008
(online)
CHOCOLATE!!, comics, drawing, manga, nature's beauty, playing video games, praying mantises, ruling of the world, reading, Schoolhouse Rock!, seeing that my mom's happy, walking, watching good Japanese and American cartoons, watching Sesame Street (usually before the debut of Elmo's World), and writing lists in alphabetical order. :)
Renga: How are you everyone !!
Renga: All your weather are control by me.
Renga: I has a weather machine.
DrunkDuck: What you say !!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:04PM
Aussie_kid at 7:55PM, Jan. 26, 2008
(online)
Indulging my sweet tooth, reading, writing, drawing something that I don't hate and finding out that my ex-girlfriend's life is going to hell in a handbasket ever since she dumped me.

Yeah, that sounds mean, but it's a real ego booster
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
UltimaXG2 at 9:08PM, Feb. 4, 2008
(offline)
What makes me rave? STROBE LIGHTS!!!
Comics:
Beyond the Deep End
Mysterious Transfer Student
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
acadia at 9:24PM, Feb. 4, 2008
(online)
UltimaXG2

And glowsticks.

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
UltimaXG2 at 10:08PM, Feb. 4, 2008
(offline)
acadia
UltimaXG2

And glowsticks.

And techy music with uber-low basslines in gigantic abandoned wearhouses.
Comics:
Beyond the Deep End
n_y_japlander at 2:05AM, Feb. 5, 2008
(offline)
1st… my wife! She is my muse! If she is behind me, I can do anything!!!!
next.. drawing/graphic design, keep the creative juices flowing!!!!
then… my job, not that it is the best thing on the planet, but I do enjoy it, and it keeps me busy. Taking time off leaves me bored!!!
… American TV shows, LOST, Supernatural, My Name is Earl, Boston Legal, and so on.

lastly… Drunk Duck. I'm not just saying it because I'm here… if it was not for the Duck, I would not be drawing now!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:19PM
amanda at 6:21AM, Feb. 5, 2008
(online)
I like turning on the faucet every morning and having running water - that's usually enough to keep me in a good mood all day. Oooh, and indoor plumbing, that's a good one. I try really, really hard not to take those for granted.

It also makes me happy when I notice improvement in my ability to do things - not just in drawing and writing, but job performance and cooking, knitting, not falling over when trying to do the crescent pose…

I like getting REAL letters in the mail or unexpected packages. I like when I finish my cereal, and it's still crunchy!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
UltimaXG2 at 7:14PM, Feb. 5, 2008
(offline)
And laser light shows.
Comics:
Beyond the Deep End
blntmaker at 2:30PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(offline)
1) My wife. She's pretty cool!

2) My daughter. She's pretty cool too! Especially when she realizes the limit of how many piercings a body should have…humanly that is.

3) Herbie Hancock getting ALBUM OF THE YEAR!

4) When students pass the CALIFORNIA HIGH SCHOOL EXIT EXAM!

5) The perfect California sunset - Hues of purple, red and gold melting into the ocean.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
PIT_FACE at 4:45PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
old WWII war footage and picking those realy long boogers outa my nose that feel like they're attached to yer brain.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
kyupol at 6:40PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
anything that makes me smarter.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
omegasonic0 at 7:38PM, Feb. 15, 2008
(online)
Reading a fictional novel, watchin t.v., playing video games, making comics, and talking to my friends!(on DD and off!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:21PM
zaneeba_slave at 8:25PM, Feb. 15, 2008
(online)
-Seeing good progress in my gaming business (I dont own it, but I am sortof second-in-command)

-having time to think and getting amazing ideas of new games and Mods

-When my friend updates his comic “Shaggy”

-getting a good nights sleep.

-knowing that everyone is wrong except me. :)
I like to imagine myself as a goblin in a tuxedo. -Zaneeba_slave
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:54PM
AQua_ng at 6:19AM, Feb. 16, 2008
(offline)
Orange droplets. Okay, bear with me, it's the name I give to a certain meteorological condition.

It's sunset, and the sun is a brilliant red, casting the sky into a magnificent orange. As well as that, there has to be graceful clouds, not too much and not too little, just enough to give that balance where the clouds are coloured pink. And then the clouds a pouring in the lightest of showers.

It's very nice to look and it always cheers me up.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:58AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon