Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

What techniques/programs are good for hand-drawn comics.
Jules at 9:09AM, June 16, 2007
(online)
To be more specific, what program could I download online that would ink my sketches for my new hand-drawn comic?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
ShadowsMyst at 11:39AM, June 18, 2007
(online)
That very much depends. Do you want something to digitally ink with, or do you want it to do the work for you? Generally speaking, letting the program do the work for you doesn't usually look to awesome. You could get the gimp, Drawplus, or inscape to do either pixel or vector inking. There is also things like opencanvas 1.1 or artrage you can get semi freely. You can get a copy of mangastudio Debut for 50$ which is pretty good and has great inking tools. Although if you want something that just outlines, the best I've seen is the Livetrace function in adobe illustrator CS2. Before Streamline used to be ‘okay’, but both of those are programs that you have to pay for.

Here's a list of links if you wanna look.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
glenfx at 1:21AM, June 25, 2007
(online)
The best program for doing digital ink is “Manga studio” (but is not free and is not automatic).

If you want something that does the lines automaticly… then you wont get good results or nice lines, flash and illustrator has a bitmap tracer built in.

You can also try “Expressions 3” from microsoft (free) its quite nice to ink with since its based on vectors (wont do it automaticly either).
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
romulux at 11:05AM, June 25, 2007
(offline)
I pencil with a Prismacolor “non-photo blue”, then hand ink directly over that with a variety of Micron pens. Nothing that claims to “do the work for you” will look as good as doing it yourself.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved