Media Megaforum

What the hell Chris Cornell!?
Eddie Jensen at 2:56AM, March 4, 2009
(online)
You used to be cool!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7r1ro_chris-cornell-ft-timbaland-part-of_music
if I was a teapot I think I'd be orange.

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
skoolmunkee at 10:12AM, March 4, 2009
(online)
I dunno man, Chris Cornell stopped being cool when Soundgarden broke up. He tried to get some of that back with Audioslave but it just never quite happened. At least the guy knows how to bring in an income though :]
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
machinehead at 6:12PM, March 4, 2009
(online)
Chris Cornell is a big douche. Audioslave's first cd was pretty good but everything after that is just shit. You think mixing rage and soundgarden would be bad ass but it wasn't. I really miss Rage, I hope they do “officially” get back together.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
ozoneocean at 7:36PM, March 4, 2009
(online)
Soundgarden broke up…? Wow, I'm out of it. -_-

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
Hyena H_ll at 7:51PM, March 4, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
I dunno man, Chris Cornell stopped being cool when Soundgarden broke up.
Naw, it was when he cut off his hair. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Eddie Jensen at 12:57AM, March 5, 2009
(online)
to be honest I kinda liked Revalations by Audioslave, it wasnt nearly as good as cochise but it was still good. But the point isnt how great he is was and such its that he's a sellout whore and thats sad, what if other artists follow in his lead huh? that would suck. What if RNB is the wave of the future and eventually everything fades out much like the music of the earlier years has, well it hasnt dissapeared I'm not saying that it just faded out, how often do you hear a good song to swing to? hmm? not very often. The other day I linked my Cousin something by Two Gallants and said “check out this cool song” she replied “No ew its probably rock” which was sad to me. But then again she enjoys the musical antics of Britney spears so I think she's a bit touched in the head.

Crazy Dutchman at 10:02AM, March 5, 2009
(offline)
What's wrong about liking Britney Spears better than rock music? Some of her new songs are way better than a lot of pop/rock out there, like the mediocre stuff Cornell has been doing the past few years.

Why he does this song is because Timbaland is some sort of hypnotist. He isn't a bad producer, in fact, he can be great, but he's not as brilliant as some people claim. The people he worked with are so various. I mean he produced songs on Björk's Volta, which was an incredibly experimental electronic freak album, and yet you can't tell which tracks he worked on. Then he also made his own album and who does he get as guest artists? She Wants Revenge! An alternative goth new-wave indie band. And indeed, that song sucks. I don't know why all people work with him, it's probably because right now he is one of the few producers people actually recocnize by name.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Hyena H_ll at 10:17AM, March 5, 2009
(online)
Crazy Dutchman
What's wrong about liking Britney Spears better than rock music?
Not a damn thing. Pop music as a genre isn't inherently bad; there's probably the same amount of bad/annoying/overplayed rock music as there is pop. The problem is that it tends to blend together and sound the same, after a while. Producers find a formula that sells, and reproduce it ad nauseum. I think the gripe is that this is the kind of stuff that dominates the radio/TV/etc. Thank you, ClearChannel, for homogenizing the airwaves! Who needs variety, anyhow? I'd totally rather hear the same 15 artists published by the same 3 companies over and over again! On every station! Hooray!

Eddie Jensen at 12:41PM, March 5, 2009
(online)
whats bad about it? the fact that its repetative crap, I never was a huge fan of Chris Cornell I enjoyed Audioslave I'm not gonna lie but it wasn't great, and atleast it wasnt repetative crap. Thats what I don't like about top chart music nowadays the sort of hip hop and pop and rnb thats on it theres like 10 minutes of song with 5 lines of lyrics. I just feel like my ears are getting ripped off in a figurative sense, moneyvsquality wise.

Crazy Dutchman at 12:46PM, March 5, 2009
(offline)
Eddie Jensen
the fact that its repetative crap
And a lot of (pop)rock music isn't?
Eddie Jensen at 12:51PM, March 5, 2009
(online)
not to the same extent I'd say but I'm glad to be proven wrong.

Crazy Dutchman at 1:32PM, March 5, 2009
(offline)
The thing is that a pop song itself is supposed to be somewhat repetative. They should make you happy, they should be catchy, they should make you want to dance. They are supposed to be a little simple and that's why a lot of people act very degrading towards pop songs and pretend that they're all the same. But they're not. In fact, there are a lot of pop songs that are fairly original nowadays because they get a great production. I would much rather like to listen to the new Britney Spears and Beyonce songs than that new Nickelback stuff, because if you look at those songs they aren't catchy at all. They don't make me happy. They don't make me want to dance. They don't even rock hard. So what's left? You tell me. That is what I would call crap, and repetative crap at that, most of their songs sound the same!

And even if pop music is simple, so are most of those “indie” bands (no one is really sure what that defination means). The Kooks are in my opinion way more annoying than something like Katy Perry. Some are as repetative as you can get. And 90s pop music was simple too, but lots of people do appreciate that because of nostalgic values. But like I said, nowadays some producers put way more effort in the production process. There will always be crap, but that goes for all genres and if you stay open minded you may find that some of these pop songs are far more creative than you would have thought in the first place.
Eddie Jensen at 1:41PM, March 5, 2009
(online)
I'm firmly against all of the bands priorly mentioned aswell don't get me wrong, I'm just saying I want some variation for my money. I'm not much of a dancer if you couldnt tell by my playfull dialog.

Crazy Dutchman at 1:51PM, March 5, 2009
(offline)
Hahah, nor am I, so when songs make me want to I see that as a quality ;)
Everyone is alloud to have his own taste of course, but people shouldn't judge everything so fast.

I hope we're not going too offtopic here.
json at 1:03AM, March 6, 2009
(online)
okay…i've been drinking….so this could get messy…….

#1 ClearChannel…..this shit started in Corpus Christi, Texas. there was one broadcasting company that owned a classic rock station, a rock station, a tejano station, a country station, and an easy listening station. they were all based out of the same building on the south east side of CC. they found a “formula” the sells for public radio…and they went national with it in the mid 90s. (i went to high school in a town right outside of corpus christi, so i was there when this crap happened.) these guys set the standard for what “radio music” was to be….the payouts from labels to play music…the use of fewer DJs by using “WinAmp” to run the play-lists with the radio call signature timed in every 30 minutes with ads on the hour…..f**king disgusting. willie lopez was one of c101's original DJs from back then and he had an OBSESSION with ALL of van hallen's music……haggar or roth. and there were at least 2 VH songs played every freaking hour….and i bet it is STILL the SAME for every clear channel rock station across the country….because i live in austin now, and i still hear that asshole's grating voice doing call signs for 3 of the stations here…..

#2 chris cornell sucks. soundgarden sucked. temple of the dog sucked. i can't stand that “black hole sun” is on rock band….i have had to sing that song more times than i had to listen to is….and i SWEAR the only reason it was a hit is because it had a silly video with image morphing and everyone's faces turned all crazy eyed…..i always felt like chris cornell had that same attitude as dave groll and everyone should love his music because of THE BAND he was once in. if he is making shit music these days, sounds like he finally found his calling. there was a band in the mid 90s called “the suicide machines” and their first 7“ had a song on it (and a later rendition featured on their first full length) called ”the vans song“ that was an anti-grunge fashion song with the line ”worship jeff spicoli not chris cornell“…burn outs are better than sell outs.

#3 pop music is music made by a formula to sell records. period. most musicians in the mainstream do this. metallica, jewl, sugar ray…”what is selling units right now?“……..”what is the hot new sound?“…….i can at least say i am glad that the fad of ”screaming angry my dad didn't hug me“ choruses are gone from pop music for the time being. but i still hate pop music as much now as i always have. it's not for me. it's like mainstream rap and how everything is about ”rims“ and ”grills“ and ”hoes“ and ”how hard" they are while underground rap is about positive changes in ones life and fighting the government and living a conscious lifestyle.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
Hyena H_ll at 6:17AM, March 6, 2009
(online)
json
willie lopez was one of c101's original DJs from back then and he had an OBSESSION with ALL of van hallen's music……haggar or roth. and there were at least 2 VH songs played every freaking hour….and i bet it is STILL the SAME for every clear channel rock station across the country….because i live in austin now, and i still hear that asshole's grating voice doing call signs for 3 of the stations here…..

On the 16 hour drive back from Mardi Gras, I was tryin' to stay awake by playing the “is it possible to find anything worth listening to on the radio?” game. In an 8 hour stretch, I heard Van Halen 5 times. Three of those times were “Jump”. I think the point is thus proven.

ifelldownthestairs at 8:11PM, July 15, 2009
(online)
I really don't understand why Chris Cornell has been given as much shit as he has over this Timbaland collaboration.

The guy was a member of Temple of the Dog and Soundgarden, the latter of which was a huge grunge band that catapulted to stardom because Badmotorfinger and Superunknown were critically acclaimed top selling albums.

After Soundgarden broke up, he puts out a fairly successful solo album, and three years later Audioslave's first album is released. Each of their three albums were rather popular, and immediately after their break-up Chris Cornell released another solo record.

So, my point is this: Do you really think that after all this, the guy is at a loss for a) money or b) popularity? I seriously doubt it. He just wanted to try something different. That basically is what everyone has a problem with, and frankly I don't get it at all.

And personally, I kinda like Scream.

…sorry for ranting, but I came across this and I couldn't help it.
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Sea_Cow at 3:22PM, July 16, 2009
(offline)
Soundgarden was pretty cool. Temple of the Dog was also pretty great. Audioslave was amazing. But this? Ew.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
ifelldownthestairs at 3:26PM, July 16, 2009
(online)
I will say that I can totally understand why it wouldn't be someone's proverbial cup of tea :)

DAT BITCH AINTAA PAARTOOFFF MEEEEEEEEEEE
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Aurora Borealis at 10:29AM, July 17, 2009
(online)
Crazy Dutchman
The thing is that a pop song itself is supposed to be somewhat repetative. They should make you happy, they should be catchy, they should make you want to dance.

There you go. Short, catchy, and very danceable. A mixture of pop/new wave/electronic with a bit of a punk energy added to the mix.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved