Debate and Discussion

What the hell is the deal with all this music?
Mimarin at 4:59PM, Nov. 17, 2006
(offline)
Am I the only person on earth who thinks that the entire world takes music far too seriously?

Last time I as in college, talking to people of my own age group the first question anyone I met would ask me is “so, what sort of music do you like?” which always struck me as bizarre, not “what course are you on then?” or “I haven't seen you around before, been here long” nope it is about music. And half the time, based on that people would decide wether or not they were going to be my friends.

And on top of that it appears that in groups of young people music decides which social group you are part of, as well as how you dress, what the hell is going on there? Why is music so important to people?

What I want to know is why today, when it is generally considered inappropriate to judge people based on the colour of their skin, is it considered appropriate to judge people based on which type of elaboratley arranged noises they prefer?
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Tantz Aerine at 5:04PM, Nov. 17, 2006
(online)
Hmm… good question. Perhaps because music is a universal language of sorts, a hint of tastes, likes and dislikes and as a result of that, whether friendship is possible?

Just ruminating, here.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Mimarin at 5:14PM, Nov. 17, 2006
(offline)
I don't think that's correct, over time most of my friends have developed widley diverging levels of musical interests as well as different tastes, but since we have other common interests it dosen't matter in the slightest.

In my experience at least people make decisions about people based soley on the music they like, which makes no sense at all.

As for people dressing according to music, I think that's bizarre too, why would people willingly sort themselves into social stereotypes like that?
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Inkmonkey at 5:20PM, Nov. 17, 2006
(online)
Okay, let's say you know somebody; they're nice enough, easy to talk to and all that. Problem is, they're always listening to really loud gangsta rap (or Country or Emo Rock or whatever you hate). Even if you like them, you're going to avoid spending unnecessary time with them if their music is going to come up.

And it sort of evolves from there. People hang out with people who, in one way, provide an “environment” that isn't just comfortable, but they enjoy. Beyond that, music has a certain “mood” to it. It's very powerful. Different music doesn't just appeal to people of certain lifestyles, but of certain mindsets, and people are more likely to find people with similar base sensibilities (and thus, more likely to share societal similarities) if they enjoy the same kind of music.

Aside from which, most people enjoy music and, in a way, it's a fun thing to discuss. It's a “friendlier” inquiry than the almost utilitarian “What classes are you taking?”
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
Gregory at 8:44PM, Nov. 20, 2006
(online)
I can tell you exactly why I like Tchaikovsky. It includes the words “chord progressions,” “melodic structure,” and “aesthetic string arrangements.” If I ask you why you like the new Panic at the Disco album and you tell me that it's “cool” because it has “got sweet songs,” then I'm a bit skeptical of your tastes.

There are things in life we cannot change, such as our race, age, and bodily processes. We can, however, change our tastes in music. If you can justify your tastes in music, then good for you. But if you don't know why you like what you like, then I can't help but feel sorry for you. So, I don't judge people based on what music they like, I judge them based on why they like that music.

Music is an art after all. Granted, you can like a painting because it's pretty, just like a song. But liking a painting or song just because it's “hip” or “cool” does not impress me if you disregard it a few months from then. I have flavors of the week, sure, but they are based on musical tastes that will last for life. And gods help me if I can't ever explain why I like something. (Which might, in itself, substitute for an explanation…)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:39PM
ozoneocean at 4:14AM, Nov. 21, 2006
(online)
Knuckles
People think I'm weird because I like listening to metal and house music o.O
I'm 80% away this week, but I still get a look in… Please people, I'm sorry but unless you add to the debate I'm deleting your posts, I don't care who you are, how cool you are, or how funny. Sorry ^_^

Gregory, perhaps they enjoy things analogous to “chord progressions,” “melodic structure,” and “aesthetic string arrangements” in their pop tunes, but simply lack the vocabulary to enunciate it? And so “cool” seems an adequate, all-purpose substitute…
Maybe they don't even possess the mental tools to evaluate the music in such a way? In that case it might be unfair to “judge” them. ;)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
Obsidian at 8:44AM, Nov. 21, 2006
(online)
Gregory
I can tell you exactly why I like Tchaikovsky. It includes the words “chord progressions,” “melodic structure,” and “aesthetic string arrangements.” If I ask you why you like the new Panic at the Disco album and you tell me that it's “cool” because it has “got sweet songs,” then I'm a bit skeptical of your tastes.

There are things in life we cannot change, such as our race, age, and bodily processes. We can, however, change our tastes in music. If you can justify your tastes in music, then good for you. But if you don't know why you like what you like, then I can't help but feel sorry for you. So, I don't judge people based on what music they like, I judge them based on why they like that music.

Music is an art after all. Granted, you can like a painting because it's pretty, just like a song. But liking a painting or song just because it's “hip” or “cool” does not impress me if you disregard it a few months from then. I have flavors of the week, sure, but they are based on musical tastes that will last for life. And gods help me if I can't ever explain why I like something. (Which might, in itself, substitute for an explanation…)

In youth, musical tastes are controled by forces more than just musical preference. To expect a youth to know exactly why they like a particular musical genre or artist is asking too much from them.

Our teenage through college/university years are filled with vying to determine who we are, where we fit in, and what allegances we will make. Music, at this age, is partly taste but wholely image and placement. X music somewhat appeals to me, but the group that goes with X music I really dig so I am going to go with whatever this group likes because I want to be accepted by them so to receive the benefits of being in this group. Thus is why certain artists appeal to youth - they convey an image that they want. Asking them why they like the music will give you a weak answer from a good deal of youth (you do get youth who seem to have been spared from the turbulance of those times, or who have developed earlier). Later on in life when they determine who they are, they will be more flexible with what they like and also be able to cultivate tastes and be able to discern what they like from what they do not like and be able to tell why (at least that is what is hoped for - not all people grow up).

A side issue is that adolescence has become much longer than it has in the past so that people are given more time to make up their minds about what they like. So you will have people who know why they like a style of music, and then you will have a peer who still has a stereotypical teenager mindset of music.

**As long as you feel people do not need to know fanciful musical theory terms in order to describe why they like a particular style of music, all is well with me**
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
Mazoo at 3:29PM, Nov. 21, 2006
(offline)
Music is a way to convey feeling and emotions. Many people may jump into different “groups” or “images” based on that music because they are aquiring their taste; they don't know how they feel, as a whole person, and thus are unsure what to really commit themselves to. Because music can be such an intimate expression, people are insecure that others will ridicule them for their taste. They are basically being ridiculed for what they feel and who they are as people.

As I have seen from experience, those will similar tastes in music tend to get along better as a whole. Music, as a form of emotion, can control the way people will behave or think, and people tend to get along better with those who behave and think similar to them.

Also–music aplies to the experiences people have had, again relating to their emotions. Emotions alter a person. Being in a traumatic event may make a person angry, and thus they will likely listen to “harder rock” music. It is an outlet for them to release their feelings in a relatively non-subjective environment. If others listen to the same type of music, they may be better to relate to, as their experiences may be the same that yours is. They won't judge you for what you feel.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
Aussie_kid at 5:24AM, Nov. 22, 2006
(online)
I can't be defined by the music I listen to because it's all so different. Metal, light pop, alternative/classic rock, grunge, goth, classical, some disco, a little bit of emo and if I like the beat and it isn't completely butchering a classic, I'll listen to some techno.

What's really fun is dressing in a dark attire and blasting ‘Walking on Sunshine’ on an iPod. Or, doing the exact opposite and dressing in some light clothes and playing some Marylin Manson really loud.
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
Obsidian at 9:36AM, Nov. 22, 2006
(online)
Glarg
I dont like music, now a days its white people shouting unessacerally loud in a microphone and black people yelling gibberish with baggy clothes and gold all over them. Also theres techno…..okay I have a weakness for Techno BUT GET RID OF THE GODDAMMED COUNTRY!

So basically you are a person who perfers nonhuman, computer sounds with maybe a little human voice over saying “Go! Go! Go!” or some other bits to get the crowd pumped. :P

A lot of mainstream music is really bad. If you look to the underground and indie scene you will find some good hip hop that stays true to its source, and some good rock that isn't just whiny screaming.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
ccs1989 at 8:07AM, Nov. 23, 2006
(online)
Well, I just finished playing through the first difficulty level on Elite Beat Agents, a game where you save the world with music, so I'd say it's pretty powerful stuff (I blew up a spaceship with it).

But seriously, hearing is a sense that isn't evaluated as much as sight. Many more people can tell you why they like a painting (although many also still use the phrase "cause it's cool) than can tell you why they like a piece of music. This is because sight is our primary sense. We use it almost every minute of every day while we're awake. Sound is important to us to, but we could get around without it for a day, so it's not considered as important as sight.

That being said, people don't really sit down and study music. If they hear something, they might like it just because they like it. Or maybe they'll hear something, hate it, hear it a week later, and like it because it's now familiar. In that respect sound has more in common with the subconcious brain.

So why is music so important in society? It resonates with everyone. It's like pleasure for our sense of hearing, the way seeing a beautiful painting is for sight, or…well, a certain other thing is for the sense of touch/feeling.

http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
ozoneocean at 3:45AM, Nov. 24, 2006
(online)
Glarg
Yes, Such songs i like

Simple and clean: REMIX
and uh…..Oh the safety dance….im not sure that qualifys as techno though.
JeebusEffingChristoColumbus GLARG! I keep telling you about DEBATE in the debate forum. Man, I'm tried of telling you!

But because you like the Safety dance, I can't hold it against you too much… Still…
T…h…i…s……I…s……A……D…e…b…t…e…..F…o…r…u…m NOT a conversation forum, a state your preferences forum, a social forum, a funny joke forum, whatever. You can talk about anything of course though (all that stuff I mentioned actually), as long as you have some debate content.

On to the deabte…
Music is related to language, that's why it needs to be arranged in certain ways and not just random noise. There's patterns to most music, just like language has all sorts of intricate patterns that you probably never even think about. Maybe you could use that argument to explain why almost no one likes atonal music, or why really random stuff is hard to get into.
And also why music with simple techno beat structures have such a broad appeal- mostly to younger listeners. Maybe you could say that their understanding and preferences for music, like language, artistry, food, textures etc, is less refined at that stage in their lives so the simplicity of a strong, regular, mechanical backbeat sounds better to them than the irregular liquid staccato of modern Jazz?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 11:32AM, Dec. 1, 2006
(online)
ozoneocean
mechanical backbeat sounds better to them than the irregular liquid staccato of modern Jazz?

sheer poetry, man. Seriously.

On to the debate though: I think that one's musical tastes say a lot about their personality. I think what you listen to reflects how you see the world (for example, people who listen to a lot of rap and stuff may value dancing and clubbing more than someone who listens to piano sonatas might. ) Lyrics, especially, are a great indicator of who a person is. If someone feels like fireworks of joy are exploding in their soul when they hear the line “Don't let the sun blast your shadow, don't let the milk float ride your mind, you're so natural, religiously unkind,” you can definitely see what kind of person they are. Someone who likes the unexpected, the weird, the morose, someone who likes David Bowie. And if you hate weird, morose people, you probably won't like hard-core “Ziggy Stardust” era Bowie fans.
Music is a huge part of most people's lives. Hearing a good, full song is like reading a good book- the things in both of them hardly happen in real life, but they have an order to them, and a meaning, that reality intrinsically lacks.
Books are a romanticized version of life, and music a romanticized version of noise.
(and on the subject of techno, I think it's too empty to appeal to me; but then I like oddball music. Like, check out the song “Neverevereverdid” by Architecture in Helsinki. It's full of weirdness and otherworldly magic, and otherworldliness is so important in an escape like music!
I judge people based on their musical preferences. But I'm still friends with people who listen to music I loathe. I just take it into account when I'm assessing their personality. (I hope that doesn't make me a bad person! o_o)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
Mazoo at 11:16AM, Dec. 2, 2006
(offline)
Lyrics, especially, are a great indicator of who a person is.
I disagree. When I was little, I would listen to a song for its chord progressions, beats and melodies, and not pay attention to the words. I had to give extra effort of listening harder to the song to hear the lyrics. My choir director is the same way. He couldn't care less about lyrics, but he can find certain chords and resolutions extremely powerful, even if the song is singing about… babyfood, for example.

Yes, I agree that people can be moved by words and lyrics in songs, but that is not always an indicator about their personality.

I really enjoy listening to this song call “Sweet Fanny Annie” by Panurge, and although it's a rather dirty song talking about how attractive a girl is, I like it for the beat and catchy melody. If lyrics were the indicator of personality, than that would mean I like attractive girls… which I don't. Sure, I can appreciate a girl's looks, but I'm not a lesbian. Your idea would be saying I was.

I think personality can be somewhat determined by the whole of what people like listening to, but not completely. Does it mean someone who listens to “Where do They Make Balloons?” by They Might Be Giants is a complete retard and doesn't really know where balloons are made? I think not. I think of music as little post-it notes or tiny little clues to their personality, but much is left to find by other means… like actually getting to know the person.
Kristen Gudsnuk at 5:19PM, Dec. 2, 2006
(online)
Actually, I totally get where you're coming from. For example, I love the song “Momoiro no kataomoi” (it's a guilty pleasure though, really!!!!!!) and it's got just about the most vacuous lyrics ever. And I listen to a lot of other japanese music, which I don't understand at all.
And obviously in instrumental pieces there aren't words.
BUT, if a song is in your native language and Elton John isn't singing it, I'm sure you'll pick up some of the lyrics. Lyrics are a fundamental part of sung music. Proof? Sing “My Cherie Amour” (if you don't know that song… then grrr. STEVIE WONDER FOREVER) and you'll note how, with such efficacy!, the lyrics just seem to pour forth from your soul.
Although I may just be a very lyrically-oriented person. For instance, I play the piano, but I suck at reading music. Nonetheless, I usually use sheet music so that I can keep time and stuff. (Then for pieces like “Fur Elise” and “Bratja—- the FMA SONG!!!!” I lose my place often, because there aren't lyrics. hehe.)

Mazoo
I really enjoy listening to this song call “Sweet Fanny Annie” by Panurge, and although it's a rather dirty song talking about how attractive a girl is, I like it for the beat and catchy melody. If lyrics were the indicator of personality, than that would mean I like attractive girls… which I don't. Sure, I can appreciate a girl's looks, but I'm not a lesbian. Your idea would be saying I was.

no, no, no! I didn't mean it that literally! I meant, that if a certain STYLE of lyric, the message BEHIND it, appeals! Of course, or else that would be assuming that I'm a lesbian for liking the song “My Cherie Amour” (^_^ it's in my head!) which is completely ridiculous.

You know the song “I hope you dance”? Some people think that the message behind the song is poignant and heartwarming while others think that it's rubbish and want to shoot themselves in the head whenever that song comes on. I'm one of the latter. hehe. But I think the song “Lullaby” by Billy Joel is heartwarming and poignant, while others may find it too sappy. It just SUBTLY shows how much sappiness we like, how mature we are, what kinds of moods we're subject to.
I have a friend whose favorite song is called “entrails ripped from a virgin's cunt” (heheh!) but I'm not saying he likes to… well… you get the picture. He just likes things that are hard-hitting and raucous and surprising, because he's gotten tired of how similar lots of music has become, and needs some shocking music– as a kind of “shock therapy” (hehe puns!)
I think the sound of the music is important too, of course! There are genres I almost completely stay away from, even if they had lyrics that would make Borges proud!!!
I'm just saying that music, for many reasons, can indicate who someone is.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
ozoneocean at 1:57AM, Dec. 3, 2006
(online)
Glarg
I dont like music, now a days its white people shouting unessacerally loud in a microphone and black people yelling gibberish with baggy clothes and gold all over them. Also theres techno…..okay I have a weakness for Techno BUT GET RID OF THE GODDAMMED COUNTRY!
jakey926
i know what you mean. hardly anyone talks to me because of what i listen to. but then again in a place filled with hip-hop people tend to find metal heads like me… sorta like a freak. also another that bugs me is that some people are tying music to religion. well i really like heavy metal but people seem to think that's all i listen to. not true. i also listen to ska, j-rock, reggae and a little techno. i try to tell people that but they keep on griping that my music is the work of the devil. *sigh* the curse of being a slayer fan.
ccs1989
I'm not sure I could be classified into a group. Right now I'm listening to “Jumpin Jack Flash” by the Rolling Stones, after listening to a song by HOBSTANK (I think that's their name, but I only have 1 song by them) and before that I was listening to a J-Pop song.
That's interesting guys, but we talk about our likes and dislike in music and stuff in the media forum. Here we talk about WHY people like and dislike things.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:25PM
mechanical_lullaby at 4:27AM, Dec. 4, 2006
(online)
Music is music, and it honestly should be taken waaay less seriously than it is being taken right now. Some people love music because it sends them messages. Some people just ignore that and listen to the rock. A lot of my friends listen to Rammstein because it's so heavy, but they never even check the lyrics to see what they mean or how damn simple they are or how many songs about boats they have.
So music is music.

Knuckles at 10:24AM, Dec. 8, 2006
(offline)
ozoneocean
Knuckles
People think I'm weird because I like listening to metal and house music o.O
I'm 80% away this week, but I still get a look in… Please people, I'm sorry but unless you add to the debate I'm deleting your posts, I don't care who you are, how cool you are, or how funny. Sorry ^_^

How was that not adding to the debate? It was mentioned in a previous post that people are judged by how they dressed and the type of music they listen to. I'm simply emphasizing a point that it's very real…

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
ozoneocean at 11:30AM, Dec. 8, 2006
(online)
Sorry knukles, I don't do that to be offensive.
I'm just trying to encourage people to add more than a statement of prefferance, simple responses to questions, or quoting massive posts and simply writing “I agree” underneath. So instead people respond by taking a point and questioning it.

For example:
"People think I'm weird because I like listening to metal and house music. Personally I think it's strange that I should be judged based simply on the kinds of music I enjoy. People who judge others based on the music they like must be rather shallow!"

And there's an interesting point someone can maybe respond to if they want :)
Anyone, please PQ me if you have any issues! I'm happy to discuss this sort of thing and work out any problems!

shaneronzio at 4:41PM, Dec. 8, 2006
(online)
Mimarin
Am I the only person on earth who thinks that the entire world takes music far too seriously?

Last time I as in college, talking to people of my own age group the first question anyone I met would ask me is “so, what sort of music do you like?” which always struck me as bizarre, not “what course are you on then?” or “I haven't seen you around before, been here long” nope it is about music. And half the time, based on that people would decide wether or not they were going to be my friends.

And on top of that it appears that in groups of young people music decides which social group you are part of, as well as how you dress, what the hell is going on there? Why is music so important to people?

What I want to know is why today, when it is generally considered inappropriate to judge people based on the colour of their skin, is it considered appropriate to judge people based on which type of elaboratley arranged noises they prefer?

Music is very important to people.
Music gives people thier identity on some level.
Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
ozoneocean at 5:12PM, Dec. 8, 2006
(online)
Hmm, those points aren't very much shaneronzio, and people have said that before…
Jebus, I'm tired of enforcing Zwuh's old rule. No one ever reads those posts. EVER!

Ok, just post whatever the f**K you like… I don't care anymore :(
I'm tired of modding this forum. From now on I'll only bother with dud topics, jerks and flagrent abuses, like in the other forums.

Go wild.

Let the quality of “debate” degrade to two sentance posts and people saying what music they like.

Now I've got my childish hissy fit out of the way (which only 5 people will read), I will try and add some more to this “debate”:
People can live entirely without music, there are also deaf people and people with impaired hearing who don't have much choice in the matter. Are their identities somewhat less than those who enjoy music daily? Are their personal tastes even less “refined” than an adult who will only listen to the Wiggles?
I don't think music is anywhere near as important to people as some of you think it is, merely it responds to us because we already have the capacity to appreciate certain qualities it has: patterns that evoke responses in us similar to the responses we are conditioned to understand via language and other sounds in our environment: The drumming of walking feet, the sighing of the wind through the leaves on a tree, the rhythmic crash of waves on a beach…

LowResAtari at 2:19AM, Dec. 9, 2006
(online)
I've yet to ever noticed anyone around where I live judging on music, though… that question that Mimarin said he hears too often from new people: “So what kind of music do you like?”… I hear it a LOT… but from people just trying to start a friendly conversation.

ozoneocean
People can live entirely without music, there are also deaf people and people with impaired hearing who don't have much choice in the matter. Are their identities somewhat less than those who enjoy music daily? Are their personal tastes even less “refined” than an adult who will only listen to the Wiggles?
I don't think music is anywhere near as important to people as some of you think it is, merely it responds to us because we already have the capacity to appreciate certain qualities it has: patterns that evoke responses in us similar to the responses we are conditioned to understand via language and other sounds in our environment: The drumming of walking feet, the sighing of the wind through the leaves on a tree, the rhythmic crash of waves on a beach…

That's a very good point… as I happen to be someone who DOESN'T listen to music, and it hasn't had a single effect on the way people view me. I agree with ozone… I don't think there's as much of an importance on music as you might think. Sure it may be a cause for certain people to be connected, but that's not the only part of it. I know that at least I'm a strong believer of not judging anyone unless I have a reason to… and I don't judge on music…

…daggumit I got lost in thought and forgot the rest of what I was going to say…

Darn me and my disorganized though processes >_<
99% of people would've finished this sente
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:47PM
suzi at 7:31AM, Dec. 9, 2006
(online)
I think to some people, music is DEFINITELY an integral part of their existence. Not even from preference or anything. Clearly, having a musical disposition is one of those skills that manifests itself more strongly in some people than others – just like art. Art isn't “necessary” either, but we're all here in this community, making friendships, complimenting and criticizing people based on their art. For some people (myself included) music isn't something we could live without. Every second of my existence, there is music in my head. I ALWAYS have a song stuck in my head, or at least some musical -something- rambling along with my thoughts. When something is that attached, that much a part of someone, of -course- it's going to be a strong force in their life. I don't think there is anything else that pierces my life more consistently. Thus, I am sensitive about music, and have adamant views.

Deaf kids do “listen” to “music” sometimes – heavy bass, feeling the rhythmic vibrations. And why did Beethoven keep composing after he became totally deaf? There is a human impulse, instinct, to use music. For thousands of years, music has been an aspect of the “community” – tribal dances brought people together using song and rhythm. It's not just hearing something, it's experiencing something. Haven't you ever heard a song that you really liked, and tried to give it to your friends and see if they would like it, too? It's a communal thing. Music is meant to be shared. Why do you think concerts exist? Why do people put out recordings at all? It isn't -just money-.

I won't deny that a lot of the popular music culture in today's world is barely music, or that the teenage cultish obsession with having similar “music” tastes is annoying and slightly unsettling, but it's been going on for years and years, and is definitely an inlet for beauty (or order, or magic, or purpose, or relaxation).

Personally, there are two things I fall in love with: people, and music. In all seriousness, when I hear a song that -really- affects me, it feels like falling in love. Don't tell me music isn't important.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
Mazoo at 12:24PM, Dec. 9, 2006
(offline)
suzi
Haven't you ever heard a song that you really liked, and tried to give it to your friends and see if they would like it, too?

I think there is definite difference in the type of music listeners. Those that really have music touch them and feel something from it want to share it with others. Those are the kind of people who believe that since they have found something that they can relate with in some way should be able to be enjoyed by others.

But there is also another group of people. Those who find the music and selfishly try to keep it to themselves just for the sake of being called a “hipster” or “scenster” or “indie” or whatever. To me, those are the type of people who don't really listen to the music… they just happened to hear the music and are too concerned about their image to really feel the message the music is meant to create.

Isn't music essentially created so others will hear about your feelings and emotions–and ultimately relate with that? Isn't it created as a type of message? Sadly, I don't think the message is always captured in the listeners, and the music is then “wasted” on them.
gothicpoet at 9:14PM, Dec. 9, 2006
(offline)
Mimarin

i am not afraid to admit that i dress the gothic style and listen to the gothic music.

while i am a music nut. there are some things i don't listen too. but i don't let music define who my friends are (my poetry habit does that for me). but i have friends who are into pop, hell i have some friends who listen to rap and i HATE most rap.

i guess some people are just stupid? maybe their insecure? i have NO idea.

but i don't let music define who i am completely, music is apart of my life, so is my webcomic, and my love for the arts. but i don't let them rule my life.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved