Media Megaforum

What was that one show you remember that got you into Anime?
Lonnehart at 10:58PM, March 24, 2010
(online)
Mine would be this…

Youtube Video: windowBattle of the Planets (G-force) opening

What probably impressed me the most when they transformed the ship into an incredible firey bird.

Of course the version I watched at the time was heavily butchered to fit OUR standards… When I get the chance I'd love to see the original in its entirety.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 11:43PM, March 24, 2010
(online)
DragonballZ. Saw it when I was five and I was like, “This is way better than Bugs Bunny!”

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:18PM
EssayBee at 6:54AM, March 25, 2010
(online)
When they first brought Akira, Fist of the North Star, and Vampire Hunter D to the states (this would be 1990-91, if memory serves, and you had to order them through the mail from comic dealers–at least where I lived), I got hooked. I had watched shows like Voltron and Speed Racer, among others, when I was a kid (loved Voltron, didn't like Speed Racer much), but I had no clue what anime was back then–they were just cartoons.

However, it wasn't until '93-94 that I really got into anime, which is when I finally found video stores that had good collections, but it was those 3 movies mentioned above that opened my eyes to the bigger world of anime and made me seek out more stuff.

TheFlyingGreenMonkey–Not to be a troll, but the old Chuck Jones Bugs Bunny/Loony Toons is better than most of the anime I've seen.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
Dark Pascual at 8:34AM, March 25, 2010
(online)
In my country they used to put a lot of classic Anime, specially Mecha (Robotech/Macross, Voltron, Mazinger Z) and I really loved those, but I didn't knew that it was Anime, just a pretty cool shows with giant robots.

However, Saint Seiya was the first one that I watched fully aware of the concept of Anime and got me into that.

BTW, I wouldn't say that the classic Looney Toons are better or worst than any Anime, but watching a bunch of guys DESTROYING ENTIRE PLANETS during a fight could be considered the epitome of EPIC by most…me included.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
isukun at 10:35AM, March 25, 2010
(online)
I watched all sorts of anime as a kid, but like EssayBee, I didn't know most of it was anime. I didn't really start looking at the styles and the origins of animation until I first started getting the Akira comics and had some neighbors rent the movie from Erol's. After that, I started checking out whatever I could find at the video store and started making connections with the old Warriors of the Wind Beta tape I had (and I still have for the hilarious cover art that has almost nothing to do with the movie). I played around with the art style some in middle school, but didn't really get into anime until high school when a friend of mine got me to join the anime club.

As much as I love Chuck Jones and the Looney Toons shorts, I wouldn't claim they are necessarily better than anime. You're talking apples and oranges when you compare theatrical shorts to TV anime. They are each products of different circumstances and goals and they appeal to different groups of people. They each have their good and bad qualities and neither can be judged objectively better than the other.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
GracehFaceh at 1:03PM, March 25, 2010
(online)
Sailor Moon. Some girl got me a sailor moon doll for my birthday and it kinda started a chain reaction into my interest in comics and cartoons in general. I only liked watching anime for a really small period of time, though. DBZ, Pokemon (this was probably really my first anime but I thought it was another american cartoon at the time. It wasn't until Sailor Moon that I realized it was part of a whole genre of animation), and Yu Yu Hakusho were probably the biggest ones. I liked the dubbed versions though, once it got into “you should watch the Japanese version!” I ditched anime and only drew in the style until I grew out of it.

The only anime I really have any interest in now is Urusei Yatsura purely because it is brilliant (and the opening/ending songs are really catchy). But if by any chance Sailor Moon or old school Pokemon were ever aired again, you can bet I'd totally watch it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
Air Raid Robertson at 2:37PM, March 25, 2010
(online)
I recall watching anime shows as a kid. Occasionally I would see an episode of The Little Prince, Speed Racer, or Maya the Bee. I didn't really watch any of them religiously, but they were my first exposure to Japanese cartoons.

The very first anime product that I found myself really, really liking was Princess Mononoke. At that point I looked into Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, Spirited Away, and most of the other standards.

Some of them I liked and some of them I didn't really care for. I would consider myself an extremely casual anime viewer overall.

So yeah, I'll take classic Looney Tunes over giant fighting robots any day.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
Chernobog at 9:13PM, March 25, 2010
(offline)
Dragonball, circa early 90's.

Anime was far more obscure back then and there was just this wonderful sense of foreign mystery to it.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
Crimsonskystudio at 3:32AM, March 26, 2010
(offline)
Dragonball Z, Pokemon, and the old Nintendo cartoons (captain N and Mario Bros) were the first.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
shirkersama at 12:14PM, March 26, 2010
(online)
When I was about 7 my family adopted my brother Willy. he was about 13 and was into anime, so he introduced it to me. Some of the first shows he showed me and I liked were DBZ, Gundam Wing and Pokemon. But it was really the movies Akira and Ninja Scroll that caused me to become an anime addict rather than a casual fan.
Meh
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
PPPchairman at 7:10AM, March 27, 2010
(online)
Yu-Yu Hakusho was what got me hooked on the stuff.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
WiffleBall at 5:10PM, March 28, 2010
(offline)
Definitely medabots. I still love that show.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:49PM
PIT_FACE at 6:09PM, March 28, 2010
(online)
first anime i remember ever seeing was some Dragon Ball when i was a kid and a small piece of Shost in the Shell, again when i was a kid, before my cousin and my bro would kick me out.
when i got into the stuff myself though, i think my first animes were dragon ball z and project a-ko.

man…has anyone else seen project a-ko.whatta trip! animation's fuckin deadly though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
PIT_FACE at 6:15PM, March 28, 2010
(online)
Chernobog
Dragonball, circa early 90's.

Anime was far more obscure back then and there was just this wonderful sense of foreign mystery to it.

yeah, really man. you'd be like “this is what japan does?!”
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
mlai at 7:08PM, March 28, 2010
(online)
Never made a mental separation between cartoons such as He-man or The Hobbit, versus anime such as Voltron… until I saw Yotoden (Wrath of the Ninja) in its original form.

It was unsubbed and undubbed, but it didn't matter. The edgy (at that time) art style wa unlike all the soft linework I've seen up to that point. How can hair be so spikey?! How can cel shading be so sharp and detailed?! That's when I heard the word ‘anime’.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Product Placement at 6:56PM, March 29, 2010
(online)
I think that the first Anime that I ever saw, knowing it was Anime, was Evangelion. I loved it to bits, even when it got freak at the end because that just caused me and my friends to have epic discussions, trying to make a sense out of it. I also saw Dragon Ball Z (stopped that when they introduced concepts like robots from the future and Super Sayan level 3)and some Pokemon (never got into that one but found the episodes to be funny for a while).

It wasn't until I saw Full Metal Alchemist, that I got really interested in seeking out Anime. I have allot of ground to cover but so far I've seen the aforementioned Animes including Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Berserk, Toradora, Great Teacher Onizuka (also read the manga), Death Note (also read the manga), seen a fair share of full length Anime movies and such (I even got my hands on episodes of Speed racer. I've never laughed so much in my live and it helped me finally understand the humor behind that one Dexter's lab episode).

Any recommendations? (I know I've got a long list to cover)

Lonnehart
Youtube Video: windowBattle of the Planets (G-force) opening
Wait. That's anime? It looked like 80 cartoon to me. Does that mean the Centurions was anime as well?
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
isukun at 9:14PM, March 29, 2010
(online)
Battle of the Planets was a pretty aweful butchering of Kagaku Ninjatai Gatchaman. They removed one of the original characters and replaced them with a horribly animated Hanna-Barbera original character Seven Zark Seven and his retarded friends. Plus they pointlessly changed some of the characters in very drastic ways. Like taking Jinpei and making him into a clone who speaks in some nonsense language. All death is censored out in some of the most ludicrous ways and considering the body count in the original series, it makes you wonder why they even bothered to try to localize it. And they really had to change a lot of plot points since the original series is possibly one of the most reprhensible series from the 70's.

Centurions was one of the many hybrid series from the 80's that was produced and written in the US, but contracted out to a Japanese animation studio. Transformers, Thundercats, the Silverhawks, Galaxy High, Tigersharks, etc. were the same kind of shows.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
Product Placement at 7:31AM, March 30, 2010
(online)
isukun
Centurions was one of the many hybrid series from the 80's that was produced and written in the US, but contracted out to a Japanese animation studio. Transformers, Thundercats, the Silverhawks, Galaxy High, Tigersharks, etc. were the same kind of shows.
That's what I thought. I always grouped those cartoons together in my “80's action cartoons” category. They always looked too western to me to be considered anime but I can see the eastern style now that I think about it.

P.S. Centurions was awesome as a kid but I'm so afraid to re-watch it again and ruin the nostalgia (I tried re-watching He-Man and Thundercats few years ago and couldn't understand why I thought it was so great).
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 5:22AM, April 1, 2010
(offline)
you bring up bad memories. bad memories of a time when 1337 liked naruto.

EGAD!

actually Pokemon and yugioh came first but it never really got me that hooked onto anything but the pokemon games and the yugioh card game. which both now aren't as good as they used to be.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:54PM
meemjar at 9:45AM, April 6, 2010
(online)
I'm old school Anime.

I was watching it when Astroboy, Marine boy, and Prince planet were on.

But my all time favorite is ROBOTECH.

In fact I did my own fanzine of it right here on Drunk Duck. Check it out!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
kaminari at 2:58PM, May 3, 2010
(online)
Lets see..
Watching an anime and actually being consciously aware that it was Japanese dubbed for an American audience? Vampire Hunter D (the original movie)
I still remember it came on late one night on TV when I was supposed to be in bed.
That probably started it for me.

Of course, I had seen many more growing up because 80s and 90s kids tv was full of anime reprogrammed for American audiences and my eyes were glued to every one of them.

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
EssayBee at 9:00PM, May 3, 2010
(online)
PIT_FACE
man…has anyone else seen project a-ko.whatta trip! animation's fuckin deadly though.

Ah. A-Ko. I believe that was among the first round of movies when the Sci-Fi channel had its first annual Anime Week (they'd show an anime movie at 8 or 9 o'clock, Mon-Fri for a week). Definitely a fun movie. Too bad none of the sequels I saw (I only saw 2 or 3 sequels) compared to it. Project A-Ko and Dirty Pair: Project Eden were some of my favorite anime comedies for a long time.
elektro at 10:28PM, May 3, 2010
(online)
isukun
Centurions was one of the many hybrid series from the 80's that was produced and written in the US, but contracted out to a Japanese animation studio.

Holy crap…I remember this show. Before Cartoon Network was a cable channel with original programming, it was a satellite channel that basically aired old cartoons, a lot of them Hannah-Barbera toons from as late as the 90s. Because we had a satellite dish, I saw this and other cartoons of its ilk as late as 1995.

Anyway, back on topic: I had a brief affair with Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z in the late 90s. Like a real-life affair, the appeal soon disappeared, and I didn't look back.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
ozoneocean at 10:29PM, May 3, 2010
(online)
Project A-ko was fun… But it was a great big parody spoof thingo, so its appeal rests mainly on knowing the stuff it's making fun off as well
- Just like with a film like Spaceballs. Great, funny, cool films, but only off the back of others.

That said, it was a great spoof with its uber-manly female villains, the silly lesbian love triangle, the mecha/boss showdowns, the big transforming/joining mecha etc. Loved the massive space battleship that has the traditional Yamato-esque prow, deck and guns, but that's basically a teeny piece on the front of a gigantic, misshapen bulbous THING. And of course it comes to rest, stuck on Earth as they always tend to do in animes.
Glorious spoof.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
Eunice P at 4:06AM, May 4, 2010
(online)
It's funny that no one mentioned about Transformers. I think Doraemon is probably the anime series that got me into watching anime.

I grew up watching anime since I was 2 or 3 but back then I can't even recall anything or even know the difference between the ones produced from Japan or other countries.

But the show that got me into watching none anime was some WWII cartoon that depicts a starving old couple who were the only last surviving folks in the city. The ending is just too depressing, they used sleeping bags and zipped all the way up covering their face as if they were using the sleeping bag as their final resting place. I've been searching for that animation for so many years but I couldn't find it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
EssayBee at 10:28AM, May 4, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
That said, it was a great spoof with its uber-manly female villains. . .
I forgot all about that! Borderline genius, right there, poking fun at all of the feminine male villains.
ImaginaryGirl at 12:32PM, May 5, 2010
(offline)
The first anime that reeeally got me into it was RG Veda. It was a little Clamp project that only had two episodes. Now…I have a love-hate thing with Clamp. Mostly hate, truth be told, but I have to admit this did get me started. The plot is…well, it's clamp. But the style is DAMN pretty.

After that, it would probably be Princess Mononoke that dealt the final blow.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:57PM
maycroft at 10:55PM, May 29, 2010
(online)
I'd say there are a few series that got me trapped:
The first one was Ranma 1/2 with that funny weirdnes, then came Card Captor Sakura, which was soo romantic I couldn't stop watching it. when I was a kid there used to be some good old animes like Saint Seyia and dragon ball Z, but nothing was as catchy as the las two… exept pheraps Soul Eater
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
Faliat at 8:18AM, June 2, 2010
(online)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsqTA1KvmBk
This was the first anime I ever watched. I was a toddler.

Wasn't really exposed to humans in anime until I was eight and played Psychic Force on the Playstation when my dad's cousin had an eye injury and let me borrow some of his games… And I saw the opening sequence…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dORXJ9WqdRc

Then the Pokemon craze finally hit Scotland and I started watching that despite preferring the games.
In retrospect I guess I liked Digimon more. It had deeper character development and didn't have a confused message (Gotta catch ‘em all when the main character barely captures any and even lets Pokemon LEAVE?) also the English theme will forever be made of win!

I also watched Tenchi Muyo briefly when my sister was a major DBZ fan and it just happened to fit the slot before that. I thought it was okay but ended up watching it anyway. Then other versions of Tenchi stuff was aired int he samed slot and I just got confused since the previous plots and stories weren’t wrapped up. Then it was replaced with Gundam Wing.

Then I saw something so awesome it left a massive mark on my consciousness forever:

Blue Submarine no.6.

Toonami decided to air it. And despite missing the start and not being able to get some of the plot as a result, I loved it. The art style, the world, the character designs and development… I was eleven so wanting more out of TV shows…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arjslNGI-u0

Sadly it wasn't long enough so in frustration at the lack of series on UK TV filling the kind of weird niche I was in for TV programming I just went on a creative storm and started planning up (I'd already touched on the idea before but decided to complete it) a sci-fi series about a family living in western Canada made up of furry aliens and vampires with a pet dinosaur and the weird lives they had including attacks from other alien races and govermnent agents from the US and Canada trying to capture and vivisect them.

As a result a very very VERY primitive version of Mahlaste was created. SO primitive in fact that the only thing remaining from it is some character names and one protagonist with a blue labret piercing.

And even though I don't really watch anime (I watched Gurren Lagann the other day and could barely sit through the first episode. I don't know why. I just couldn't.), I can't deny that it inspired me to create a piece of work that I've been updating and changing for over a decade.

It had damn better be good…

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Shirker at 10:18AM, June 12, 2010
(online)
I was part of the Pokemon craze. I would never buy merchandise, but I made it a point to catch every single airing of it on WB!

It was weird because after becoming a fan of Pokemon, there were other cartoons like Sailor Moon and DBZ that I knew had similarities in art style and humor, but didn't know the name of the genre. So I would just call them “Those cartoons that move all choppy like.”

Wasn't until shows like Outlaw Star and Kenshin started airing until I realized “Oh, these cartoons all come from Japan and apparently it's called ‘Anime’”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved