Media Megaforum

What was your first anime?
Hakoshen at 12:28PM, March 9, 2009
(offline)
The first anime I ever watched regularly was either Speed Racer or Battle of the Planets (aired as G-force). Then came robotech and sailor moon a few years later, thanks to cartoon network. The first anime I watched, knowing it was Japanese was Akira on the sci-fi channel.

The first anime I EVER watched I can't remember the name, because it was like, 20 years ago. All I remember was I was at a Christian day care center, and they put on this one show every day that involved a boy and a girl going back in time with the help of this robot to take place in all these bible adventures. Hell, it might have been called Bible Adventures. I may never know. It wasn't until a year ago I was thinking about it and realized because of the art and animation style, it had to be a dubbed anime, or at least a show animated in Asia.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:40PM
Insizwa at 6:28PM, March 9, 2009
(offline)
Dragon Ball (the mutha fucking original!) when fight scenes didn't last more than 15 episodes.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:01PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 8:39PM, March 9, 2009
(offline)
Well, I've watched TONS of anime movies and stuff. But I don't remember any of those.

So I just consider, “Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann” as my first anime.
And it is DEFINITELY my favorite.

Wait. Come to find out, I do remember a few anime I watched.

Lupin the 3rd (LOVE IT!!!)
And this movie that I used to for some reason love, called, Barefoot Gen.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
Jonko at 9:38AM, March 10, 2009
(online)
ANPANMAN!!! (has anyone ever even heard of this?) If not here's a pic:

It's a boy who's face made of bread. His weakness is getting rained on (a.k.a. his bread head getting all shrivly) and he has the ability to break off pieces of his head and feeding the hungry. It is still running.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
DRose at 11:18AM, March 10, 2009
(online)
The original Dragon Ball.

My old dog had torn into our cable line and we had lost a lot of channels but we had also gotten the Pacific Sun channel that showed a lot of Japanese Shows subtitled. All of sudden I'm watching a cartoon of a kid with a monkey tail fighting a dude with three eyes.

I became obsessed with anime for years after that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
Hawk at 2:38PM, March 10, 2009
(online)
Jonko
ANPANMAN!!! (has anyone ever even heard of this?)

I sure have. I especially enjoy seeing him feed parts of his head to children.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Jonko at 7:19PM, March 10, 2009
(online)
Hawk
Jonko
ANPANMAN!!! (has anyone ever even heard of this?)

I sure have. I especially enjoy seeing him feed parts of his head to children.

yay for messed up Japanese kids cartoons!
kyupol at 5:28PM, March 30, 2009
(offline)
I remember Voltes V and Daimos

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
WiffleBall at 10:12PM, April 9, 2009
(offline)
Power Stone, I think.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:49PM
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 12:58AM, April 10, 2009
(online)
Dragonball Z I think I was 5ish I found it by accident. Secound was sailormoon and third was pokemon I believe :D

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
Jonko at 8:43AM, April 10, 2009
(online)
TheFlyingGreenMonkey
Dragonball Z I think I was 5ish I found it by accident. Secound was sailormoon and third was pokemon I believe :D

Although these weren't my firsts I think we all agree these were some of our first addictions… Ahhh anime…
Rengishi at 9:57PM, April 15, 2009
(online)
One piece at 5yrs,Dragonballz and gt at 6yrs old, then bobobobobobobo at 7, then naruto at 8
PSN account: OrangeDJ1
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
Shinigami_Shimai at 5:15PM, May 9, 2009
(offline)
isukun
The Little Prince. Used to watch it obsessively when I was 5. That and Sebastian and Belle. The first anime I watched after discovering what anime was was Akira, which I saw back in middle school when it was first released on VHS by Streamline in 1991. Before that I forced my parents to buy me a copy of Warriors of the Wind on beta, not realizing it was a hack job of Nausicaa, but back in grade school I didn't distinguish between anime and Western animation and it wasn't like I could hit the forums on the internet back then.

Wow, this is the first time I've seen anyone else mention The Little Prince being their first. For me it was either The Little Prince, Fables of the Green Forest or Astroboy, can't remember which came first because I wanted them back in the 70s when I was really little. I do know that the Little Prince has a huge affect on me back then that is for sure, after watching it I read the book more times then I can remember.

Ahhhh, the days of Streamline Entertainment and their hack jobs on anime. After experiencing that I ended up getting in to Fansubs and finding myself more interested in subtitles just to save my ears from the horrible english acting. I blame stumbling across a pile of old Newtype mags in an asian book store for my addiction to anime to this day.

Kat

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
Jonko at 9:06PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
Shinigami_Shimai
Ahhhh, the days of Streamline Entertainment and their hack jobs on anime. After experiencing that I ended up getting in to Fansubs and finding myself more interested in subtitles just to save my ears from the horrible english acting. I blame stumbling across a pile of old Newtype mags in an asian book store for my addiction to anime to this day.

I agree with you. You'd think that with how popular anime is now they'd find better voice actors!
Dark Pascual at 9:57PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
My first anime was Moonlight Mask aka Gekko Kamen aka El Capitán Centella (Captain Flash?)…

It was fairly popular here in Latinamerica, and runned several years…

And of course Mazinger Z

If you hate the English dub, the Spanish one is not better sometimes…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
Pokkon at 3:44PM, May 16, 2009
(offline)
The first anime I actually remember watching would be Sailor Moon. I was too young to actually understand what was going on (then again, who does? It's not like anime ever makes sense), but I liked it anyway. I might have seen Captain Future before, but I'm not sure. But the first anime that actually made me go “Oh, it's one of these pretty cartoons from Japan” was Pokémon. I don't watch it anymore, but I still love the games. D:
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
DAJB at 7:24AM, May 20, 2009
(online)
Does anyone remember Marine Boy?

I have a feeling it aired in the UK sometime back in the early 1970s or maybe even late 1960s. Of course, it wasn't called “anime” in those days (except in Japan obviously!) it was just billed as a “Japanese cartoon” - something of a novelty back then! He was basically a superhero type character who chewed “OxyGum” in order to be able to breathe underwater.

I may be wrong but I suspect Marine Boy may have been the first anime to feature on primetime children's TV. Well, in the UK, that is!

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Lunaris Victoria at 9:37PM, May 21, 2009
(online)
Before I knew what anime was, The Little Prince was my first, followed by…Speed Racer. Woo.

The first anime I watched knowing it was anime was Project A-Ko during the Sci-Fi channel's first…what was it called? Festival of Animation? Animation Celebration? It was so long ago, like very early 1990's and all…I was so young, I don't remember what the event was called.

Over the course of the following two weeks, though, I was introduced to the likes of Akira and a few others I can't remember the names of. Nor can I remember if it was the first or second where I was introcuced to Tenchi Muyo in Love.

I also found a fondness for E.Y.E.S. of Mars, a movie I find myself sad about since practically no one remembers it. It's impossible to find on DVD. I haev it on VHS by some good luck, but I currently lack any VHS player. Some luck.

Sci-Fi used to be a great channel.
“If I don't say it, don't assume I won't. An open book still needs a reader to turn the page.”
-Me
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
Air Raid Robertson at 11:28AM, May 22, 2009
(online)
The Little Prince was my first anime too. My Mom would take it out of the children's library and I would watch it wondering why the characters had different mouths from my usual cartoons.

Nick Jr. used to show some cartoons about these Koalas that I can only vaguely remember. I'm pretty sure that it was an anime too though. I kept thinking the same crap about the “weird mouths”. Ditto for Mya the Bee.

As a teenager I got into the standards. I watched Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Princess Mononoke, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, and Cowboy Beebop. I believe I saw Akira first out of that lot, although I'm not completely certain.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
Lunaris Victoria at 6:15PM, May 22, 2009
(online)
Air Raid Robertson
Nick Jr. used to show some cartoons about these Koalas that I can only vaguely remember. I'm pretty sure that it was an anime too though. I kept thinking the same crap about the “weird mouths”. Ditto for Mya the Bee.
If you're talking Koalas then you must be referring to The Noozles. :) I know there was a second show too, but I can't remember it for the life of me, I didn't like it as much…
“If I don't say it, don't assume I won't. An open book still needs a reader to turn the page.”
-Me
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
bittertea at 8:53AM, May 23, 2009
(online)
AKIRA… ;__; at a very very tender age @_@;;;
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
Jonko at 9:16AM, May 24, 2009
(online)
shaneronzio
Urotsukidoji

Wow… I'm assuming you didn't watch this one when you were a kid?
mlai at 6:06AM, May 25, 2009
(online)
My first exposure to Urot was the movie version, which had cut away most of the sex in order to make it feature-length. That was actually pretty damned good of a movie. I'm not sure, but together with films like Wicked City and Demon City Shinjuku, I think Urot first started the trend of awesomely horrific demons, and the use of imaginative and no-holds-barred sorcery and supernatural combat. It got me into demonology for a while. Go look up old pre-censorship/ pre-commercialization books on Christian and other demonological texts in your college library, or any really big/old library. I tend to get a thrill just handling such musty old books on such obscure topics; makes you feel like a real Hogwart.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Janen at 12:58PM, June 29, 2009
(offline)
The first anime that I watched were anime that really marked a generation in Mexico. Some of them were shown in a kids show that consisted of a green dinosaur and a beautiful woman in mini skirt. My fav one was Dai no Daiboken(The Adventures of Fly-based on Dragon Quest). There was also Captain Tsubasa, which was a big hit among us boys since we all played soccer. DBZ of course and Saint Seiya. Good times.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
Dave7 at 4:29PM, June 29, 2009
(online)
I mostly watched american cartoons as a kid, but the two animes that I DID tend to watch most often at the time would have to be Speed Racer and the original Voltron.
Post your concerns about the preview page! Support raw html! http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics
]http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics

“That is not dead can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons death may die.”
~H.P. Lovecraft

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
Samota at 8:03AM, June 30, 2009
(offline)
hmmm i think my first anime was either pokemon or DBZ, can't really remember, but i really got into anime when a saw inuyasha, which is sad because i really don't like that show anymore. but oh well!:)
Well i'd love to stay and chat but your a b*tch!:)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:21PM
istaerlus at 7:36PM, July 1, 2009
(online)
The first anime I ever saw: the 80's reruns of Astroy Boy

The first anime that I realized was anime: Either Pokemon or Digimon, I was watching both of them around the same time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved