subcultured at 10:00PM, July 20, 2009
(online)
monkeeeeeeeey!!!
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
ifelldownthestairs at 11:07PM, July 20, 2009
(online)
What we are?? We're damn fine dancers, THAT'S WHAT WE ARE
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
http://www.drunkduck.com/i_fell_down_the_stairs
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
ozoneocean at 11:32PM, July 20, 2009
(online)
Monkeys? In a semi-comical abstract metaphorical sense.
But you may as well use Gibbon, ape, baboon, gorilla, and you have just as comical, although a more humorous and slightly more imaginative vaguely human shaped animal for the spiel.

Purely idiotic in any other sense. It's like calling a weasel a cat, or a badger a bear, or a seal a dolphin.

Personally, I'd have chosen “ants”. It's abstract but far, far better at describing humans in a metaphorical sense since what characterises us as a species isn't what we look like, it's what we do: work cooperatively together in massive numbers, yet as individuals we're rather small. That would've made the fellow's point far better.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Dark Clown at 3:24AM, July 21, 2009
(online)
well actually.. humans evolved from small hairless blind rodents. Unless you are one of them bible nuts that think god magically made man. and them big Dino bones are just lies that the devil worshipers are telling thats fine too.
but hey Monkeys are funny so you have that.

This Fluid feels like Pain, This stoic mood is all in vain.
I reach into the dark, I tear this other me apart.
How many years ago, How many deaths I can't let go.
My Flesh Is Temporary, My God Extraordinary.
You… can''t… Kill… My… MIND!!!!!

The War Will continue, Just on a different battle field
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
ozoneocean at 4:52AM, July 21, 2009
(online)
Dark Clown
well actually.. humans evolved from small hairless blind rodents.
Not as far as I'm aware… The evolutionary tree is pretty broad, all mammals came from the same branch I think.
And before that who knows? But probably reptiles… reptiles from fish, fish from crab type things and those from shell fish and those from slugs and those from? Al the way to amoebas…

But the mammals are all common in origin so there's no reason they wouldn't be sighted since their ancestors were for millions of years. They say humans are a late branching from the mainly tree dwelling types that produced lemurs, bush-babies and the ubiquitous apes.

In the end though if you want to identify us with our antecedents you have a zillion to choose from, may as well call us bottom feeding clams.
Or going by nearer evolutionary cousins, the “monkey” comparison is pretty prosaic and doesn't display much of an awareness of evolutionary biology; cats, dogs or even elephants show a better awareness of the magnitude of the thing.
-Whereas a Monkey is something like one step down and one across; that's so banal as to be pointless or only of interest to people with the most basic understanding of the concept - and because of its banality; will likely keep them there.

Personally I like the work of the late Australian artist Ian Fairweather- Part of one of his works was a bird wing with all the feathers spread out and his own arm. It was entitled "even the patterns of their feathers follow the same patters as the hairs on our arms. (or some such, I'm paraphrasing here).
The genius of that is beautiful. When you begin to realise it. Makes this monkey stuff look undeveloped- if you're talking about the totality of evolution that is.

Dark Clown at 4:58AM, July 21, 2009
(online)
We still think its funny when humans opt to be close to monkeys.
a creature that tosses it own dung. just giving other options.
then again when it all comes down to it. all life can be traced back to simple Slime.

heck. why not choose your own evolution animal and run with it.

subcultured at 5:23AM, July 21, 2009
(online)
i like the whole monkey bit, it kinda humbles the human race. some people have an ego towards themselves and “lower” animals. people hurt and take advantage of animals because they have that belief that thye are better than them.

monkey's with imagination with ant like building and mantis like cannibalism.
J
Dark Clown at 5:41AM, July 21, 2009
(online)
the thing that gets us is. if humans is so much better.. why is it animals been doing fine out in the “wild” yet. take a humans cloths off, and plop them in said “Wild” Human dies rather quickly.

Human < Animal

subcultured at 5:59AM, July 21, 2009
(online)
there are humans living in the wild.
J
Dark Clown at 6:22AM, July 21, 2009
(online)
nahh we think of them as not Human but more of people of the earth.

Humans pave over jungles and forests and all that crap them Eco-hippys bitch about.

them other folks. they got it down man, thats the life… if not by an accident of Unbirth we would be one of them… sadly we are not. we are here. and we accept that fact. even thought we utterly despise the concept

Hawk at 1:22PM, July 21, 2009
(online)
I think the video was a bunch of pretentious tripe. Yeah, it's cute that you can call humans “monkeys” to diminish their importance, but all of mankind can't be simplified and generalized in the way this video attempts to. Whoever created it seems to think they're putting mankind into a perspective that none of us “monkeys” could understand or share, but fails to admit that this point of view belongs to and is being delivered by just another monkey.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Dark Clown at 1:47PM, July 21, 2009
(online)
thats whats so funny about it. silly monkeys.

therealtj at 2:37PM, July 21, 2009
(online)
Glad I'm a squirrel :3

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
istaerlus at 3:21PM, July 21, 2009
(online)
All this argument on humans being monkeys, apes, or blind rodents is missing the point. No matter what distant relation you compare humanity to we are animals of some sort. And I really don't think it would have made a difference to the message if the video had said monkeys or the more technically accurate term apes.

We aren't as far from our ancestors as we would like to think. Even though humanity can think and reason instincts are still part of our being and we have to make sure they don't get the better of us and start replacing conscious thought as the force behind our actions. I think what really separates us from other animals is the ability to look back on our own actions and see their causes and consequences. Yet it's an ability we rarely ever use, and should be used more, which is what I think the video was trying to say.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Dark Pascual at 4:58PM, July 21, 2009
(online)
What we are?

The Champions, my friend!!!
ozoneocean at 9:11PM, July 21, 2009
(online)
istaerlus
All this argument on humans being monkeys, apes, or blind rodents is missing the point. No matter what distant relation you compare humanity to we are animals of some sort.
Which WAS part of my entire point. -_-

And even the term ape is more idealogical than really accurate. But then all that sort of biological classification is really rough at the heart of it; sort of like a crude, out-dated language analogue version of genetics lol!

subcultured at 6:08AM, July 22, 2009
(online)
lol

this video turned out to have some deep discussions.
i actually like what istaerlus said.

sometimes humans do get too self important and wall off most things
J
istaerlus at 4:54PM, July 22, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
And even the term ape is more idealogical than really accurate. But then all that sort of biological classification is really rough at the heart of it; sort of like a crude, out-dated language analogue version of genetics lol!

I agree that the current classification system is quit crude. It shows the most in prehistoric species. I was looking up some dinosaur species lately (for one of my art projects) and I was amazed by how many unranked taxa they had. Also polyphetic groups are ridiculous.

I'm sorry, that was one of my rant buttons.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved