Media Megaforum

What Would You Like to See Come Out of the Movie Industry?
mechanical_lullaby at 4:23AM, Jan. 9, 2008
(online)
In an upcoming world where things might actually be better entertainment-wise than they are now. I'm talking about years from now.

I'd personally like to see more musicals. Hairspray was definitely a step in the right direction and, who knows, maybe they'll make some more original movie musicals to boot.

And if the theaters showed more movies from other countries here in America instead of America making it's own version of that movie it wouldn't have the redundancy, you know? I honestly wouldn't mind reading subtitles.

Also more brainless action movies instead of brainless horror and thriller movies.

We don't have them around where I live, but I'm thinking of petitioning for a cheap-ticket theater that plays old movies– from the 30's to the 70's. Classics, maybe? I'm pretty sure it would get a decent amount of business and it's… cultured, almost.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
Steely Gaze at 4:50AM, Jan. 9, 2008
(offline)
mechanical_lullaby
…Also more brainless action movies instead of brainless horror and thriller movies…

I'm not sure if you just called for more brainless action movies over brainless horror and thriller flicks, but if so I cannot believe I agree with you.

I dunno, action movie have always been my fall-back when I feel down, and lately I haven't watched any newer ones than circa 1994. It would be nice, in my opinion, to have some action fluff I could relax with. Eh, but what do I know?

Well my other pick would be to bring back some real comedies. I'm getting sick and tired of watching some sort of crude Animal House knock-off every time I want a laugh. I want to see some zany comedy again, like the Marx Brothers, not another romantic comedy. I want bizarre situations to make me laugh, not wonder where the next condom gag was about to appear. I want some real comedies!

Well that's my rant about what I think should happen.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
ozoneocean at 4:54AM, Jan. 9, 2008
(online)
mechanical_lullaby
I'd personally like to see more musicals. Hairspray was definitely a step in the right direction and, who knows, maybe they'll make some more original movie musicals to boot.
Ditto :)

There aren't enough these days… :(
Maybe once in the past there were too many, but the morons who say “But I dun get it, people just start suddenly singing for no reason…” IDIOTS! It's entertainment. Film is a fantasy medium, it's not real. A guy singing in the middle of a fight scene is no more weird than imagining Will Smith as a fighter pilot killing aliens, or even Russell Crowe as a police detective.

It's good to have variety. Hey, maybe even more of those trashy 1980s sex comedies ^___^

Ooo, more good SciFi! Stuff like Blade Runner?

-Tried of:
CG heavy fantasy films…
Comic book adaptions…
Remakes…
Sequels…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
lastcall at 5:08AM, Jan. 9, 2008
(offline)
What would I like to see? …Some original, GOOD movies that are worth the $10 ticket I'm shelling out at the theater.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
Hawk at 9:07AM, Jan. 9, 2008
(online)
Simply less remakes would make me happy. Unless they remake Tron. That's the one I'll allow.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Sysli at 9:18AM, Jan. 9, 2008
(online)
I support the idea of more-science-fiction-thankyou. That genre really seems to have been left by itself for quite a while. I know there's been some, but it generally have been less thought-provoking and more “look, they're in space!” or “OMG, I'm one of the last people alive, buhue…” and that's not my preferred cup of tea.

But I'll dare say I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. There's nobody out there that is forcing us to watch those movies, and we are able to see all the old ones. I think we're just complaining because we can, and I think that's a bad reason.

Not that I'm all holy and never complain. But people like different things, so we'll never get it the way we want it.

So sorry, I'm done now.

It would be nice to be able to see old movies again. They're reshowing some where I live, but sadly they're all dubbed in the most horrible way ever (my ears cry when I hear it, and it doesn't matter that it's mostly animated things, it still sounds horrible) and it's not cheaper than seeing new movies. It's a shame they won't show them with the original voices.
Because I may as well show a bit of pride. ^___^

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Frostflowers at 9:20AM, Jan. 9, 2008
(online)
Less remakes, more originals - and plz to be giving us some feature length, non-Japanese 2D animation. There were some fantastic things that came out of the '90ies, where 2D animation is concerned - Prince of Egypt, anyone? The Road to El Dorado? Even some of Disney's later works - Hunchback of Notre Dame, Atlantis - were fantastic.

I want more of that.

And I want Good Omens turned into a movie. After Hogfather showed that Terry Pratchett books could be turned into movies, they ought to move on to Good Omens next.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
mechanical_lullaby at 10:26AM, Jan. 9, 2008
(online)
Frostflowers
Less remakes, more originals - and plz to be giving us some feature length, non-Japanese 2D animation. There were some fantastic things that came out of the '90ies, where 2D animation is concerned - Prince of Egypt, anyone? The Road to El Dorado? Even some of Disney's later works - Hunchback of Notre Dame, Atlantis - were fantastic.

I want more of that.

And I want Good Omens turned into a movie. After Hogfather showed that Terry Pratchett books could be turned into movies, they ought to move on to Good Omens next.

The plans to make it a miniseries fell through in Britain!
They could have had Alan Rickman as Crowley and Gary Oldman as Azeraphel???… um… the name escapes me right now, but the plans fell through and it makes me cry at night.

lastcall at 3:15PM, Jan. 9, 2008
(offline)
Frostflowers

I want more of that.

Amen. So then I can have a real job. …I loved Prince of Egypt, it was stylistically stunning. But then they made a sequel ('Joseph, King of Dreams). Whyyyyy???
Steely Gaze at 5:00PM, Jan. 9, 2008
(offline)
mechanical_lullaby
They could have had Alan Rickman as Crowley and Gary Oldman as Azeraphel???… um… the name escapes me right now, but the plans fell through and it makes me cry at night.

NOOOO! What's wrong with them? I will not be able to tolerate this transgression. That's one movie I wouldn't have missed for anything.

This is exactly what's wrong with the movie industry. (Or does this actually count as the British television industry?)

Chernobog at 6:32PM, Jan. 9, 2008
(offline)
I'd like to see an American horror movie that isn't some mindless splatter and gorefest. Hell, let's make it epic length and have near unremitting psychological terror. And have a real story in it!

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
glenfx at 11:08PM, Jan. 9, 2008
(online)
UUUH I HATE MUSICALS O_o', dont know why North Americans like that stuff T_T

I also would like to see good comedy like “Robin Hood men in tights”, “Spaceballs”, “Drácula Dead and Loving It”, “Life Stinks”, “To Be or Not to Be”, etc.

Though i dont get tired of robot movies ;) ( i want an Evangelion movie ^__^ )
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
ozoneocean at 11:26PM, Jan. 9, 2008
(online)
glenfx
I also would like to see good comedy like “Robin Hood men in tights”
…That's a musical… ;)
People from all around the world have an appreciation for them. here in Australia, in Britain, all through India, Pakistan, Bangladesh… and beyond. You've got quite a massive proportion of the global population right there.

Other parts of Europe too of course. April is a great Italian Musical. 8 women and Swing were great French musicals. Vengo was a brilliant Spanish musical, Dancer in the Dark as a wonderful Danish musical (English language), and all those from the last 10 years or more.

The US doesn't make many these days…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
Custard Trout at 11:58PM, Jan. 9, 2008
(offline)
I'd like to see more musicals too, preferably something silly with a slightly darker twist to it, like The Rocky Horror Picture Show or Little Shop Of Horrors (I know the musical version is a remake, but it's one of rare occasions where the remake is better).

Something that isn't a sequel or remake or ‘based on a true story’. I've gotten to the point where I'll see any piece of crap as long as it was actually written by someone with half an original thought bouncing around their skull.

Something that doesn't star ‘Big Name Actor’ or ‘Talentless Actress With Big Tits’.

Fantasy that isn't ‘misty eyed girly boy goes on adventure to rescue his girlfriend/mother/pet alligator and SAVE THE WORLD from stereotype villain #4 in a bland Tolkien fantasy setting with elves and dwarves and orcs’.

Most of all, clever comedy. No more of this LOL SEX IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE IT'S A SOCIAL TABOO HAHAHAHAHAHA! bullshit. It sickens me to see people braying like trained seals whenever they hear a reference to whatever or a hil-ar-ious comparison of something to a penis.

Remember Ripping Yarns? More of that please.

Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
Frostflowers at 12:51AM, Jan. 10, 2008
(online)
Steely Gaze
mechanical_lullaby

NOOOO! What's wrong with them? I will not be able to tolerate this transgression. That's one movie I wouldn't have missed for anything.

This is exactly what's wrong with the movie industry. (Or does this actually count as the British television industry?)
There was even talk of Neil Gaiman and Pterry going off to Hollywood to make it into a movie - but the Hollywood people wanted to basically axe everything to do with the original content and change everything about it. To “make it suitable for American audiences”, or what not - in the end, Pterry just got sick of it and went home.

lastcall
Amen. So then I can have a real job. …I loved Prince of Egypt, it was stylistically stunning. But then they made a sequel ('Joseph, King of Dreams). Whyyyyy???
Haven't seen that one, but I can agree that Prince of Egypt was stylistically stunning. The only good news I've heard about the feature-length 2D field is that Disney is working on The Princess and the Frog, which is supposed to be 2D.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Custard Trout at 12:03AM, Jan. 11, 2008
(offline)
What I really want to see is mature animation, doesn't even need to be 2D. It seems animation is either for kids, or immature adults. Either those, or it's anime, and I can't fucking stand anime. Invasion America was a good try, why can't we have grown up animation?
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
lastcall at 3:44AM, Jan. 12, 2008
(offline)
Custard Trout
What I really want to see is mature animation, doesn't even need to be 2D. It seems animation is either for kids, or immature adults. Either those, or it's anime, and I can't fucking stand anime. Invasion America was a good try, why can't we have grown up animation?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there is grown-up animation everywhere except in the U.S. Here in the U.S., we have been brainwashed to think that animation is only for kiddies, so we get constantly pummeled with kiddy cartoon crap, and when any adult animation comes out, it gets marketed in a fashion so that it can be seen by kiddies (*cough* Prince of Egypt or any Pixar short film).

Welcome to the U.S. Land of brainwashing and corporate f**kwads.
Terminal at 6:23AM, Jan. 12, 2008
(online)
Horror isn't about gore. It's about scaring someone. Horror movies are now about tense music and gore. I don't care that some guy has sex with an underage dead girl in a bathtub with maggots (…which is actually a real scene.), I want a movie that makes me think and captivates me, then proceeds to scare me good.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:13PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 9:54AM, Jan. 12, 2008
(online)
Frostflowers
Steely Gaze
mechanical_lullaby

There was even talk of Neil Gaiman and Pterry going off to Hollywood to make it into a movie - but the Hollywood people wanted to basically axe everything to do with the original content and change everything about it. To “make it suitable for American audiences”, or what not - in the end, Pterry just got sick of it and went home.

Damnit! That's one of the few books I've read that I think could be made into a great movie. :(

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with Hollywood?

Also: I think H.P. Lovecraft's short story, Nyartholotep (or however it's spelled) could make a nice movie. Sure, they'd probably have to add a few characters in order to make it longer, but handled correctly it could be pretty good movie.

I also agree that the US needs more mature animation. The only two animated shows I watch are The Simpson and Avatar. The Simpson is comedy, and Avatar, for all its awesomeness, is still a kid's show at heart.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
Atom Apple at 6:54PM, Jan. 12, 2008
(online)
In the movie industry, I'd like to see Tom Cruise come out. Oooooh!
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:06AM
Ziffy88 at 7:36PM, Jan. 12, 2008
(offline)
I guess A Scanner Darkly and Beowulf does not count as animation. Soooo I'm totally with you guys on mature animation! Why can't someone try that Hell why stop there an original animated show that's mature in story not in content(though it helps nudity language and violence does not equal mature)
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 7:38PM, Jan. 12, 2008
(offline)
Less ‘comedies’ like Epic Movie and Scary Movie.

They could make Rick Riordan's ‘The Lightning Thief’ a movie. It's action-y, and teaches you shit about the greeks.

Or Sean Cullan's ‘Hamish X and the Cheese Pirates.’ That was on hell of a good book. Funny too. Don't know how they'd get the foot-notes into it, though.

lastcall
What would I like to see? …Some original, GOOD movies that are worth the $10 ticket I'm shelling out at the theater.

I agree!

I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:55PM
Steely Gaze at 6:20AM, Jan. 13, 2008
(offline)
Ziffy88
I guess A Scanner Darkly and Beowulf does not count as animation. Soooo I'm totally with you guys on mature animation! Why can't someone try that Hell why stop there an original animated show that's mature in story not in content(though it helps nudity language and violence does not equal mature)

Bingo! I was just about to say something similar.

I'm all for mature animation, but first I want to have mature defined properly for me. To me, something with a mature plot doesn't mean it has to have nudity, graphic violence, or strong language, it merely needs to tell a strong story with intelligent characters.

Or they could just do something like this to make me insanely happy. 8D

mechanical_lullaby at 6:29AM, Jan. 13, 2008
(online)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved