Media Megaforum

What's Better: Voltron or Thundercats?
reconjsh at 10:44AM, March 4, 2007
(online)
Voltron or Thundercats??? Which is better?

… those are your only choices. =)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
ozoneocean at 10:55AM, March 4, 2007
(online)
Sorry man, this stuff doesn't go in the debate forum. That's part of the old rules I believe. I'll move it to the media area.

Anyway, Voltron had better stories and the animation was much smoother. Thundercats had quite stupid stories and extremely jerky animation (it's like a flip book, seriously!). But character and mecha design was SO much better in Thundercats than it was in Voltron, plus Mum-ra was a very funky villain.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
Aurora Moon at 10:57AM, March 4, 2007
(offline)
lol

I would have to say Thundercats. why?

Because:
1) the thundercats works in teams better and also just as well on their own too.

2)they don't mock or say hurtful things to each other that could be seriously damaging to relationships, they just say minor things in heats of arguments and stuff.

3)Under all that fur, some of them were SEXY!! wonderful personalties for each one of them too.

4)kick ass battles, etc….

as compared to Voltron:
1) doesn't really work too well as an team. sometimes in battle they'll even squabble a little bit. the only time they work as an team is when they form voltron.

2) they often say plenty of hurtful comments toward each other, even outright mocking each other… and then they act like nothing happened…

3) a lot of them weren't really sexy at all. they had their own stereotypical stuff, they were shallow characters. the only sexy one was the villain. I remember having an crush on him when I was little. I only really watched the TV show for the villain.
now that's sad.

4) the battles kinda looks staged at times. it's like the minions will just shoot randomly in their little ships while those animal-shaped vehicles that makes up voltron glides though the air. Yawn. and then almost always every time, voltorn is formed and the villain FLEES! reptive too..
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
reconjsh at 11:15AM, March 4, 2007
(online)
I own both series on DVD. I re-watched Thundercats recently, and I gotta say, there's alot of homosexual innuendos - albeit they're probably unintentional. After watching them as an adult, I was like: “How did I not become gay after watching this?” (just kidding)

Something to consider: Voltron was revolutionary in that it was done in complete Stereo. In fact, the sound engineers for Voltron CREATED alot of modern stereo sounds techniques.
Thundercats was in crappy mono. =(

Voltron also had the most awesome toys! I mean, 5 robot lions that I could put little dudes in and ALSO assemble all 5 into the Voltron robot? That was the coolest thing ever. The toy promoted sharing in kids… as well as cooperation for when we assembled the robot. I mean, someone had to hold the 1 assembled robot, we couldn't all do it (well). Good lessons for kids, lol.

I admit though: Mumra > King Zarkon and Hagar! Mumra owned!

I have some faults with Thundercats that I didn't find in Voltron though. Like, logic problems in Thundercats such as why Liono became an adult in time stasis but Wiley Kit and Wiley Kat didn't age at all? Also, Panthro was voiced by a african american man. And so the writers made him have all sorts of cliche stereotypes of the black community… like sayings, actions, preferences, etc…

Soundtrack: Voltron > Thundercats by ALOT!
Logo: Thundercats > Voltron. The Thundercat emblem was AWESOME!

Anyways, for me: VOLTRON is best.

subcultured at 11:16AM, March 4, 2007
(online)
they had cheetah. nuff said

also they had cool things to say like “hoooooooooooooooooooooo” or “snawrf”

plus voltron gets served all the time
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
isukun at 11:19AM, March 4, 2007
(online)
I'd have to say throwing together a handful of random people and forcing them to work together doesn't usually result in everybody being the best of friends. I found that aspect of Thundercats to be entirely unrealistic. As for predictable and repetitive storytelling, Thundercats and Voltron were about on par in that area.

and then almost always every time, voltorn is formed and the villain FLEES!

How is that different from Thundercats? Liono pulls out the sword, everyone comes to his rescue and the villain gets away.

I'd probably go with Voltron simply because I found the characters less annoying than Snarf and the Thunderkittens. Also, the toys were much cooler.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
reconjsh at 11:19AM, March 4, 2007
(online)
Dude…

Blazing Sword > Sword of Omens.

The blazing sword materialized out of nothingness when you commanded it to. The Sword of Omens got longer when you jerked it around… always ending with the exploding relief of “HOOOOOO”.

And sight beyond sight? What is that? 9 times out of 10 Liono used it to see someone 5 feet away from him.
ozoneocean at 11:31AM, March 4, 2007
(online)
Panthro was the best character in Thundercats, best by far. That Tiger guy was such a useless nerd and Lion-O was a child in an adult's body which I have always found very creepy. Plus, his hair was in quite an unattractive style. The only things that detracted from Panthro were his lack of hair and that weird spiked bondage gear he wore. The entire show had a distinct overdose of leotards, or should I say Leo-tard? (which is exactly what Lion-O was, haw haw!) Hmm, their garments were not to my taste.

That was the trouble with Cheetah too: very unsexy leotard.

Voltron had typical anime mecha team outfits, but at least they were appropriate to their situation and didn't expose their “packages” all the time.

KomradeDave at 12:58PM, March 4, 2007
(online)
I used to watch both a whole helluva lot. I used to make the Thundercats fight the Masters of the Universe on my living room floor. As much as I love the Thundercats, though, Voltron was superior.

Thundercats was fun but I hate Lion-O so much; there also wasn't much depth to it. Did you ever wonder why the only survivors of the planet Thundera were the ones who's names reflected the type of cat they were (and it isn't just because they were nobles, the new Thundercats had these names too)?
They follow an inexperienced lion that gets them into trouble all the time. Were I Panthro I woulda slapped that bitch and taken over. Mechanics rule.
Cheetara was nice and slutty for a children's show too. She was the Thundercat's Ho.

It boils down to simply math:
5 robot lions > 1 bitch lion
Handshakes and mustaches are the only ways to know how much you can truly trust a man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
Jillers at 5:24PM, March 5, 2007
(offline)
Yo… guys… can we get it right - her name was CheetARah.

And, coming down to this.. Voltron vs Thudercats? *sigh*

Well, I was an adamant Thudercats supporter back in the day. My brother watched Voltron. We battled it out all the time. I believe I actually won by poking him in the eye with the wobbly wooden stick you used to get with pennant flags at Yankees games. Were were sword fighting. I was Cheetarah, and he was Voltron. I won.

But, actually, the war was far from over - because when I watch Thundercats now, it's just painful. Voltron less so.

Besides the pretty bad animation, and awful voice acting, let's deal with the fact that these were the last survivors of Thundera, and almost every season there was some new clan of Thundercats that were from Thundera or some such nonsense. Like Bengal and Lynxo.
Mumra seemed pretty ineffectual. I mean, he's creepy, but what IS he, and why does he hate the Thundercats so? Why does such an abomination even exist?
And have you seen the muscles on Liono? Scarey considering he was in stasis.
Which broke. Which is why he aged. Why he didn't die? *shrugs* Or maybe I'm making that up.

As opposed to Voltron which had a giant robot. And human characters that acted like human ass holes sometimes. True, they acted in their stereotypes. And I have no idea if Pidge was a girl or a boy. But they didn't always work together.
And, does anyone remember Sven? I do. I remember Sven. Sven was the original black Lion. Not Keith.
The stories were better constructed, I liked the relationships between the characters - good and evil, and, more important, I can still watch it today without cringing too much.

So, my vote's for Voltron.

Of course, this is anything vs Transformers, which would be pointless I suppose, because Transformers would win, hands down.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
subcultured at 6:33PM, March 5, 2007
(online)
i don't really watch old cartoons now that im an adult. it would probably ruin good childhood memories i had. when i was a kid i liked thundercats . mostly what i remember were the distinctive characters. but i mean come on, most chilren's cartoon don't hold up very well when you've grown up.

just like watching american fighting movies don't hold up anymore because i've watched a lot of asian fights (which are much better choreograph).

face it, the ass kicking in the movie “roadhouse” had less impact now that i've seen “drunken master”
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
reconjsh at 8:08PM, March 5, 2007
(online)
'Jillers'
And, does anyone remember Sven? I do. I remember Sven. Sven was the original black Lion. Not Keith.

Actually, Sven was the original BLUE LION pilot and second in command for the Voltron Force. He got injured and was sent to a medical planet to heal… and so Princess Allura replaced him as Blue Lion pilot though at first she wasn't accepted by the other members. Sven later got captured when the healing planet was attacked and then went to go be a politician or liason or something on the twin planet of Arus.

Sven had the most annoying voice of all time. Such a poorly done Swedish accent that when he “Ki-yap”'d like in martial arts… he said “Ki-yap-va” like the Swedish Chef. I was so happy when that character left. I even hated him as a kid… and as an adult he's unbearable.

An interesting side point: Sven was actually killed off in the original japanese series and all the later business of “Sven” was actually his clone or something. American TV producers refused to have some cartoon character die and so he was sent to a healing planet with the efforts of some very crafty film splicers.
isukun at 10:09PM, March 5, 2007
(online)
Neither show is really worth going back and watching. Thundercats more for the poor writing and moral BS tey shove down your throats. Voltron more for the grotesque censorship an really, REALLY annoying voice actors (as bad as Sven's accent may have been, it was Pidge's voice that made my ears bleed when rewatching the series in college).
jalford at 3:29PM, March 6, 2007
(online)
Thundercats wins because it was an original series. Voltron was one of several anime “amalgam” shows that plagued syndicated TV in the 80s. The others were Force Five, Capt. Harlock & The Queen Of A Thousand Years, Macron-1, and the appauling bad Robotech. Plus, Voltron only had about 5 voice actors in the whole thing, so alot of the incidential female voices were done by some of the guys(“eeeewwww”!). The only decent thing that Voltron did at least for the Lion Force version is that they broke alot of common ground by “killing off” one of the regular cast and replacing him with the token damsel-in-distress.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Adariel at 4:40PM, March 6, 2007
(offline)
reconjsh
'Jillers'

Actually, Sven was the original BLUE LION pilot and second in command for the Voltron Force.

Sven had the Black Uniform but piloted the Blue Lion, Keith Had the Red Uniform but piloted the Black one, Lance has the Blue Uniform but has the Red Lion, as a kid i found that really ironic. And c'mon Voltron's sword is a glorified super sized can opener.

Thundercats owns btw.

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
reconjsh at 6:01PM, March 6, 2007
(online)
Adariel
reconjsh
'Jillers'

Actually, Sven was the original BLUE LION pilot and second in command for the Voltron Force.

Sven had the Black Uniform but piloted the Blue Lion, Keith Had the Red Uniform but piloted the Black one, Lance has the Blue Uniform but has the Red Lion, as a kid i found that really ironic. And c'mon Voltron's sword is a glorified super sized can opener.

Thundercats owns btw.

Yeah that annoyed me as a kid and still does as an adult. I hate the color coded uniforms of some anime, so I guess the effort not to color code is neat… but come on, if you're not going to color code, then there's gotta be a purpose for multi colored uniforms or else you're just gonna confuse everyone. Sheesh.

I do know that Voltron was actually two Japanese animes: GoLion and Dairugger XV. So perhaps the lions and the shown pilots were actually never shown in the same cartoon? Just a thought… I'm not really sure but that's probably wrong. Maybe it had to do with colors and their meaning more than anything else. I don't know what colors mean to the Japanese, so I can't really tell if this is a sound hypothesis or not.
isukun at 11:47PM, March 6, 2007
(online)
Just a thought… I'm not really sure but that's probably wrong. Maybe it had to do with colors and their meaning more than anything else.

They didn't alter the character appearances in Voltron. The pilots in the Lion part of Voltron are from Go Lion, so the color mismatches are from the original series. The reasoning for it is pretty simple, though. Colors in sentai shows usually relate to a character's personality or role in the team, so the character outfits matched the character's team roles. For instance, red is almost always the team leader in shows like this. You can also look at Ronin Warriors and draw a lot of parallels between the various armor colors and the colors the characters in Voltron wore. The lions, however, were colored based on their elements.
mlai at 8:57AM, March 7, 2007
(online)
LMAO at Ozone's post.

I liked Thundercats better simply because I hate mechas and sentai teams. And Thundercats doesn't look overtly anime which is a huge plus.

Mum-Ra is way cooler than anything in Voltron. Those alien royalty pansies don't deserve the blue skin Mum-Ra has. The alien witch was the only cool villain; she should marry Mum-Ra and go have a dozen kids who'd grow up to go pwn stupid hero teams.

I hated how the Robeasts are absolutely no match for Voltron. The only one which put up a fight was the Red Ace robeast. I was rooting for that guy from minute 1 of the show.

And when are those idiots finally gonna remove those electric shock pads from their cockpits?

Warning! Voltron coolant level low! Administer 2000 volts to pilot!

Thundercats toys are much better than stupid robot toys. Slive/Jackal Man/Monkian figures pwn all. I remember them being high quality stuff. I have no love for the good guys figures though. I didn't understand what bondage was, but I did know that men with their ass sticking out of their tights made for strange action figures.

Someone
I'd have to say throwing together a handful of random people and forcing them to work together doesn't usually result in everybody being the best of friends. I found that aspect of Thundercats to be entirely unrealistic.
They weren't random ppl. They were a bunch of nobles serving the young king. Granted, they're idealized nobility who are all noble and no in-fighting.

Someone
That was the trouble with Cheetah too: very unsexy leotard.
I almost chose Cheetara as my comic's catgirl. But she was unsexy which meant she wasn't fun to draw: that leotard killed it.

I don't remember if Sven was cool or not, but he'll always be cool in my memories because he wore black and he fought the witch 1 on 1 and didn't get blown away instantly. No other person can claim that feat.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
fern at 12:47AM, March 10, 2007
(online)
Voltron… wow, memories.

I cannot rate! Though Thundercats ‘cause I can still remember the song.

But VOLTRON! YOU CAN’T MAKE ME!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
jalford at 1:58AM, March 10, 2007
(online)
Actually, Voltron's Go Lion was one of the very few anime shows with actual sentai in it. The ones that would count as true sentai would be ones where the team members wear the same outfit(jumpsuit with helmet)except that each one is a different color, as well as each member having their own indivudial robot/vehicle-thingy. About the only other anime that fits that bill is Gatchaman(aka: Battle Of The Planets). A few runner ups would be Getter Robo and Mazinger Z.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
ozoneocean at 1:05AM, March 11, 2007
(online)
jalford
and the appauling bad Robotech.
You are DEAD to me… :(

isukun at 3:33AM, March 11, 2007
(online)
Thundercats toys are much better than stupid robot toys. Slive/Jackal Man/Monkian figures pwn all. I remember them being high quality stuff.

Plastic action figures are not what I would call high quality compared to die cast metal lions that also combine to create a larger robot and had launching lionheads.

They were a bunch of nobles serving the young king.

Being nobility doesn't change the fact that they should have each had distinct personalities that would not have always meshed as well as they seemed to in the show.

About the only other anime that fits that bill is Gatchaman

Actually there are quite a few series which fit the bill in anime. Just in the US you had Ronin Warriors, Saint Seiya, and the various magical girl series which also fall under the sentai classification like Sailor Moon, Wedding Peach, and Magic Knight Rayearth.
mlai at 9:52PM, March 11, 2007
(online)
What, who cares whether it's metal or plastic? The artistry is all that matters to me. Stupid nonproportional lions with midget legs, proportions compromised in order to fit the necessities of transformation, stupid spring-launched projectiles… or plastic figures which can withstand the rigours of full-impact action figure combat, with way more accurate dynamic anatomy than He-man figures?

I've owned good action-figure mecha. Voltron was not.

I don't remember what intra-Thundercat dynamics were like. I guess there weren't any.

Priceman at 2:27PM, March 14, 2007
(online)
Thundercats > Voltron. Thundercats had the cool battlecry that made the word “ho” a household term, the thundertank was the coolest toy around, the cast of characters was huge, and finally Panthro had nunchaku. Can't beat it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
Jillers at 3:39PM, March 14, 2007
(offline)
You know, in my old age of 22, I must have just corresponded black armor to black lion - my bad guys.

Still - kids who played with Voltron toys were a hardier breed - many a time I got a die cast lion thrown at me, and lived to tell the tale.

Voltron also was the defender of the UNIVERSE. Thundercats just took care of their own planet that they had no claim to. Erego, Voltron cares about me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
isukun at 10:50AM, March 15, 2007
(online)
the thundertank was the coolest toy around

I always preferred GI Joe for toys. Their vehicles just seemed cooler and for the most part, they were sized for the action figures where the larger figures from Thundercats and He-man always seemed too big for their own vehicles and playsets.
mlai at 9:35PM, March 15, 2007
(online)
GI Joe definitely had the COOLEST vehicles. Especially the ones which looked like real vehicles. I remember Wild Bill's chopper being a work of military art.

I'll always remember when 1 of Wild Bill's missile successfully toppled ET's bunker and killed ET. It was a perfect shot. Albeit it was accidental friendly fire…

Anyways, Thundercats protected (future) EARTH. Voltron protected some far off corner of the galaxy unrelated to us. Therefore Thundercats win there.

isukun at 3:17AM, March 16, 2007
(online)
Anyways, Thundercats protected (future) EARTH

The planet is referred to as “Third Earth” and it is never confirmed whether or not it is actually a future version of our Earth. For all you know from the show it could be a place as far off as Arus.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved