Media Megaforum

What's The Scariest Movie?
Armagedon at 2:19AM, Sept. 24, 2007
(online)
Psychologically, the original Halloween was pretty scary. I mean, thinking that some guy who is just freakin evil stalking you and you don't even know it till you meet your dead friends basically.

Normally horror movies dont scare me. but if i were to choose one from what ive seen, that would be the closest.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
ozoneocean at 12:48PM, Sept. 24, 2007
(online)
I found The day of the Triffids scary when I was little. The sound of that horrible knocking noise really chilled me for ages afterwards.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
TheMidge28 at 7:03AM, Sept. 25, 2007
(online)
Masq
I do usually look to the classics for something scary. The blood and gore crap that seems to be the standard has never interested me. I need something that gets me to think, to make me see the bigger picture.

That being said, The Day The Earth Stood Still managed to chill me with my own thoughts.

As for something that did make me scream/freeze up/be afraid to sleep at night: The Exorcist, hands down.

this got me thinkin'….back when I was younger in the 80's and there was the major fear of nuclear war, the movie The Day After really was scary…if you watch it now, I don't know. But at the time it did scare me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:21PM
Hawk at 12:55PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(online)
The movie that most creeped me out was The Ring. I've had other movies make me tense, surprise me, or become creepy, but with The Ring, that creepiness lasted for an entire week. Every night when I went to bed next to my TV, I was nervous… even if I knew it was all fake.

I think for a scary movie to do the trick, you have to have conditions just right. It all depends on how deeply you can immerse yourself in the movie and suspend disbelief. If you've got some jerk in the theater or your house that is cracking jokes or being noisy, it can take the fun right out of a truly scary movie.

I haven't seen it since I was a teenager, but the first Poltergeist movie really creeped me out. I'm not sure what effect it would have on me now, but I recall the movie having a true feeling of evil about it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Bekefel at 1:28PM, Sept. 27, 2007
(offline)
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:18AM
marine at 1:47AM, Sept. 29, 2007
(offline)
Hawk
The movie that most creeped me out was The Ring. I've had other movies make me tense, surprise me, or become creepy, but with The Ring, that creepiness lasted for an entire week. Every night when I went to bed next to my TV, I was nervous… even if I knew it was all fake.

I think for a scary movie to do the trick, you have to have conditions just right. It all depends on how deeply you can immerse yourself in the movie and suspend disbelief. If you've got some jerk in the theater or your house that is cracking jokes or being noisy, it can take the fun right out of a truly scary movie.

I haven't seen it since I was a teenager, but the first Poltergeist movie really creeped me out. I'm not sure what effect it would have on me now, but I recall the movie having a true feeling of evil about it.

It was pretty good. It even had a ton of crazy stuff happening for no reason. I've seen it twice, once by myself and once with a group of about 20 people. By myself I could apreciate the artistry of it and really get into it, but the fun of horror movies is watching it with a group. If you get just one easily frightened girl in the room, just hearing their reactions can be gold, let alone seeing the look on their faces when the shit at the end goes down. The whole thing was pretty impressive.

I didn't think the sequel was all that great. All the atmosphere and creepiness of the American remake was gone, and we got a deer jumping into a car.

Speaking of the American remake, I wonder how many people realize that it was based on an original japanese film. I saw it on IFC a few years ago with subtitles and didn't really like it as much as the american one. I tried to watch some of the other ones in the ringu series, but it got a little trivial when they came up with “spooky girl - the high school years”, still not as bad as what they did to Freddy Krueger. For every great scene in the sequels with Freddy, there was just nonstop goofyness. The second one was almost homoerotic at points, but then theres scenes where Freddy Krueger runs around killing people at a pool party.

Best horror sequel goes to Dawn of the Dead. Its a lot like Night of the Living Dead, and every other zombie movie ever. Its got some truly brilliant bits in it that the stuff of internet discussion was made for.

Anyone ever see Dellamonte Dellamore? Its an italian zombie/romance movie that almost defies description. Its pretty brilliant in places for those of you that like zombies and comedy as well as a bit of artsy stuff.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
ozoneocean at 4:02AM, Sept. 29, 2007
(online)
Dellamonte Dellamore! Not a bit scary, but a beautiful movie! Truly. I loved that one ^^

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
Hawk at 9:04AM, Sept. 29, 2007
(online)
marine
I didn't think the sequel was all that great. All the atmosphere and creepiness of the American remake was gone, and we got a deer jumping into a car.

Speaking of the American remake, I wonder how many people realize that it was based on an original japanese film. I saw it on IFC a few years ago with subtitles and didn't really like it as much as the american one.

I agree with all of that. Some people swear by the Japanese version, but I really did like the American one more. It could be because it was the first one I saw and therefore the concept wasn't as novel the second time around. That's probably also why the sequels (to the American AND Japanese versions) weren't so great. It felt like they were trying to expound on something that isn't very “expoundable” in an attempt to reach a level of creepiness that's impossible to get twice.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
keithmccleary at 6:59PM, Oct. 1, 2007
(online)
Okay dudes – seriously? The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is, was and always will be the scariest damn movie in the universe. This is one of the few movie cliches that I truly believe.

There are plenty of other movies that are grosser and nastier, and I'm not saying they don't have their own thing going on, but TCM is like a rollercoaster ride that rips your face off.
Now updating without interruption, starting 2/16.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:14PM
VinceLikesRooster at 3:41PM, Oct. 16, 2007
(offline)
Ocka
Would a tv series count?
Teletubbies…. I'm curious what the hell they are :neenjah:

Seriously:
That damn Chucky doll scares the shit out of me!

Chucky Scares You? I used to be afraid of the Crept Creeper. Teletubbies scare me bad
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
maritalbliss at 11:37PM, Oct. 16, 2007
(online)
I think “the scariest” movie depends on what “scares” you.

Personally, biblical scary creeps the hell outta' me. So, I'm going with The Exorcist.

Now, my favorite “scary” movies are: Rebecca, Bram Stoker's Dracula, and Play Misty for Me.

My guilty pleasure is Zombie Movies. Any and all zombie movies. Honestly, I think my favorite is Shaun of the Dead.

Franchise: Freddy
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
tea_green at 12:31AM, Oct. 17, 2007
(online)
Anatak
I was seriously, quite literally, traumatized for years after seeing The Grudge in theaters. Yes, the American remake. It didnt help that I was already very paranoid of ghostly stuff due to my friends telling me all kinds of ghost stories when I was a little kid. The Grudge just made it much worse.

The Grudge terrifies me too. I've only seen it once and it still gives me nightmares from time to time. It's just the sound the ghost makes…*shudders*
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:08PM
crazyninny at 1:19PM, Oct. 19, 2007
(online)
The Little Mermaid.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Dave7 at 9:26PM, Nov. 29, 2007
(online)
As a big fan of horror stories/movies in general, I'd have to say it's a tie between Alien and John Carpenter's The Thing
Post your concerns about the preview page! Support raw html! http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics
]http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics

“That is not dead can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons death may die.”
~H.P. Lovecraft

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
marine at 5:11AM, Dec. 1, 2007
(offline)
You want to be scared? Watch any of those demon/hell related movies. They give me the creeps. Just the score to Rosmarys Baby is creepy.

A good horror movie isn't scary, its hilarious and filled with logical fallacy.
SarahN at 12:26PM, Dec. 1, 2007
(online)
Hey if there is such a thing as “scary violence”….try seeing DEMONS at age 14. I couldn't even watch it all the way through the first time.

Now I'm not so squeamish anymore and of course I am able to watch Demons now, but it's still a good movie for the insane bloody gore movie fan. Evil Dead too.

http://youtube.com/watch/v/ZSP0DPupZ3g
Doesn't show much but here's trailers of Demons 1 & 2. (I like the first one best.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
Fenn at 12:43PM, Dec. 1, 2007
(offline)
When I was a kid I watched the first Phantasm movie on HBO, all alone at night, and it scared the hell out of me. That creepy Tall Man was terrifying.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
Ziffy88 at 3:13PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
Movies stopped scaring me since 7th grade thanks to my Junior High teacher who made me love horror…so I don't get scared by movies too often but I do have the feeling of suspense were I'm trying to call what's going to happen. Anyways favorite Horror movie is Bubba Ho-Tep, I thought it was better than the Evil Dead movies, it had alot of heart and meaning. Movie that haunted me was Dawn of the Dead because I felt bad for the doomed characters and the classic endings of the dead movies.
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:01PM
marine at 6:28PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
SarahN
Hey if there is such a thing as “scary violence”….try seeing DEMONS at age 14. I couldn't even watch it all the way through the first time.

Now I'm not so squeamish anymore and of course I am able to watch Demons now, but it's still a good movie for the insane bloody gore movie fan. Evil Dead too.

http://youtube.com/watch/v/ZSP0DPupZ3g
Doesn't show much but here's trailers of Demons 1 & 2. (I like the first one best.)

Dario Argento has some wild films. Stuff that probably influenced penis.
Vdude at 6:59PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
I like Fright Night. It is the best scary movie of all time. Even when peter Vincent was trying to stop vampires for real, he succeeded.
Legacyhero and i are doing a Kid Intense/Hero Force crosover which will be a blast. Also, we are teaming up for a Kid Intense movie. Tell me what you think of the crossover and the movie we are teaming up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
hpkomic at 7:31PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(online)
Scariest movie I've ever seen is The Changeling.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
lastcall at 4:20AM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
I know it's not in the horror genre, but watching Event Horizon in the dark really freaks me out.

I heard The Ring was creepy too, but I haven't seen it yet.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
Ziffy88 at 6:09PM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
scariest movie Manos Hands of Fate. Just trying watching this crapfest without vomiting…though for an entirely different reason.
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:01PM
SwinS at 11:00PM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
I only recently got over my habit of covering my eyes during the screaming scene in the field in ET.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
machinehead at 6:28PM, March 15, 2009
(online)
I'd have to say Psycho, Nightmare on elm street and Halloween are my scariest. Norman Bates is loosely based on Ed Gein who was a creepy and scary guy. NOES because Freddy is just scary and the whole gets you in your dreams is crazy scary. And Halloween has a guy killing people wearing a William Shatner mask. Now that is some scary shit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
Product Placement at 9:00PM, March 15, 2009
(online)
The Grudge got to me as well. Scary movies normally don't face me at all but this one had one particular scene that got me good.

When I was a child my safe spot was hiding under the blanket. Whenever I was frightened by a scary sound or an odd shadow in the room I could always trust that I'd be safe lying hidden under the blanket. Anyone who has seen the movie would know why I got scared by it.

If you haven't take a look. It's about 4:30 minutes into this video.

Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Walrus at 3:36PM, March 16, 2009
(online)
All the “horror” movies I watch are just gore fests. But there is one part in the entire Saw franchise that actually scared me.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
ttyler at 8:46PM, March 22, 2009
(online)
The original night of the living dead, the last 5 minutes of Suspiria, The original Evil Dead, theres also lots of Euro Horror thats pretty good. Its hard for me to say whats really scary, since so little actually scares me, and even less impresses me anymore. Absolutley nothing in Horror films recently is worth a hill of beans. Nobody gets it anymore. Raimi still does, and Drag me to hell looks like a good, old fashioned scarefest.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
Insizwa at 12:11PM, March 23, 2009
(offline)
I rarely am scared from movies, but I remember one from when I was a little kid about a child rapist/murderer (and it was based on a real story (FOR REAL, UNLIKE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE & THE LIKE)). Anyway this due killed and raped like over 50 children and buried them in a swamp. That scared the hell outta me (especially since I was a kid).

I think my favorite though is John Carpenter's the Thing, the story is awesome and the gore effects are amazing (even though it was made in the 80's they still hold up today). Plus Kurt Russell is just bad ass.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:01PM
Product Placement at 6:02AM, March 24, 2009
(online)
We have to understand though that the more horror movies we see, the more desensitized we become to their effects. We learn to cope with what we see in order to prepare us for similar experience. It's a human learning mechanism which unfortunately means that eventually, we'll grow out the whole “god that scared me” face. I mentioned that the last horror to give me the thrills was the bedroom scene in The Grudge. It doesn't do that anymore though. It caught me off guard the fist time because it invaded a very personal safe spot from my childhood. For the rest of night I was partially traumatized. The second viewing had no such affect on me.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved