Media Megaforum

What's The Scariest Movie?
Hyena H_ll at 2:14PM, March 24, 2009
(online)
The only movie I've ever seen that gave me nightmares/ really scared me was… wait for it- (the original) “War of the Worlds”. Granted, I was about 6 or 7 at the time. But it left a lasting impression; especially the part where the two drunks come up to “greet” the aliens and get vaporized into these little chalk-drawin' looking things. (Or at least that's how I remember it.) I know it doesn't hold up to today's standards at all, though. ;)

I think I'm too desensitized to be really scared by a movie any more. Or else I've just seen too many to be surprised. I might cringe at some of the more disturbing graphic violence, or get creeped out by certain stuff, but sadly, the thrill is gone.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 6:32PM, March 25, 2009
(online)
I pretty much never watch scary movies. I haven't seen one in a while, so I'm not sure how I'd react to it. But up until…a few years ago, I've just hated them.

The Ring left an impression on me for weeks after. Maybe even a month. I was scared to sleep alone. I also couldn't look at a mirror, or a TV. Because I was scared. I was little then, so yeaaaah.

And the Exorcist creeped me the eff out too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
Chernobog at 7:04PM, March 25, 2009
(offline)
Not really anything all that scary out there when it comes down to it. Might be a marketability issue, but film hasn't breached true horror well enough yet. (Give me a Hollywood budget and special fx crew… I'll show em!)

Most chilling movie I saw is probably Carpenter's The Thing. It's gory, but if you can immerse yourself in that scenario, it's pretty horrific.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
kyupol at 5:23PM, March 30, 2009
(online)
Endgame.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
confusedsoul at 1:20PM, March 31, 2009
(online)
Horror films don't really scare me until after I've finished watching them. There's always at least one scene that stays with you after the movies ended.

For example, every so often I think I spot one of those “cursed” people from Ringu out of the corner of my eye. It didn't bother me during the film, but afterwards…

Ringu and the original version of The Eye are very good creepers. The scene in the lift with the old man still gets me on edge.
The Thing is a fantastically paranoid movie. Loved it.

The problem is whats scary for some people is ridiculous for others. I didn't find Ju-on and it's sequel frightening at all. They had moments (floor stains, the mysterious bumping noise) but other bits were just stupid and poorly explained which made me feel cheated.

You don't know scary until you've seen the animated film The Sandman. I saw that when I was six and it still gets me.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:44AM
Downpour_guy at 7:31PM, March 31, 2009
(offline)
The Descent scared me. It was brilliant. Not for the freaky mutant things, but for the ability to make you feel like you are trapped there underground with them. Scared me a little.

Also, Silent Hill scared me but only because it brought back the memories of playing that game when I was young and jumping and the weird music and images.

And also, the Que to see Watchmen scared me. All the Scene and Emo kids queing upto see a film about “Super heroes, yay!” and “Comic books yay!”

But, at least they were disappointed when it turned out to be more of an intelligent piece of cinema using an unlikely medium to get across it's view on society, than a brainless and plot less action movie with some dressed up men.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
Koshou at 9:04PM, March 31, 2009
(offline)
I don't watch many scary movies… but the ring was pretty creepy. Yay, Japanese horror.

The one thing that really terrified me more than anything else wasn't a movie, but a story I once read called “Ruby's Quest”. God, just. Oh god. *sob*
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved