Debate and Discussion

What's Up With Cliche?
TnTComic at 11:39AM, Jan. 9, 2008
(offline)
Watching Movies: Serious Business
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:31PM
Lokidoll at 11:14AM, Jan. 24, 2008
(offline)
The thing you need to understand is that everyone's different and everyone likes different things for different reasons. I admit it IS sad that a lot of people don't appreciate a lot of the seemingly “better” movies out there, but I also understand that sometimes having a good laugh ( from whatever joke ) can sometimes be what you need from a movie.
But like I said, it all boils down to preference in the end. Some like comedy, some like horror, drama, Thriller and so on. Everyones different.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
deepcheese at 7:36PM, Jan. 24, 2008
(online)
If we're going to talk about cliches, it might do to have a better examples of what is and isn't a cliche.
A cliche is something that's been done so many times, that it becomes boreing and predictible.
Narnia, while visually stunning, has been done before. Not only in the book, but also in countless fantasy movies that came before it. I would never say that it ‘breaks new ground’
If you want to see a movie that dosen't follow cliches, you're probably going to have to explore outside of the major studios. Being John Malcovich, and I <3 Huckabees are two examples of movies that don't follow the general formula.
However, that's not to say that formulas are necessarily bad. We like knowing that everything is going to turn out allright in the end, or that we will at least learn something by watching it. Just because we know that the guy is going to get the girl dosen't mean that we can't root for him along the way. These are more like Archetypes, which most storys are based on, and for good reason. They work.
And the 40 Year old Virgin, which no doubt had some major low brow humor, is not what I would call cliche in any way. As a matter of fact, after I finally got around to watching it (I had some serious doubts about it, I don't like dirty humor), I found that, once I got over the shock of hearing so many bad words all at once (I don't generally like that either), I found that the movie did something that I hadn't seen before- mix perversion with a sentemential, feel-good message. The contrast between the two was original, and that was what made the movie memorable to me.

Moving back onto you're original point though, I do agree. We really do need to come up with some new ideas. It seems that every movie coming out nowadays is either a sequal, a remake, or is based off of a book.
There are different ways of looking at things, and we need to explore our minds, and learn to be creative again!

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
horseboy at 7:52PM, Jan. 31, 2008
(offline)
Well, for starters what level are you setting for cliche? Do you mean simply a Trope, a Discredited trope. Or a full on Dead horse trope.
There is no such word as “alot”. “A lot” is two words.
Voltaire
Never seek for happiness, it will merely allude the seeker. Never strive for knowledge, it is beyond man's scope. Never think, for in though lies all the ills of mankind. The wise man, like the rat, the crocodile, the fly, merely fulfills his natural function.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
UltimaXG2 at 9:52PM, Feb. 4, 2008
(offline)
As human beings, we like… No, LOVE… sex… Anywho, since we have an instinct to reproduce, sex will always be a cliche… If that's what this is about…
Comics:
Beyond the Deep End
Mysterious Transfer Student
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved