Media Megaforum

What's your favorite kind of music?
MetalLuigi at 9:15AM, March 6, 2009
(online)
I didn't see many music threads here aside from a couple, (maybe I'm just overlooking them) so I thought why not create one? Plus I'm curious to see what kind of music tastes everyone here has.

I'm mostly into metal, myself. I listen to a lot of underground stuff but I also like mainstream bands as well because their sound is often more focused and clean (this isn't always the case though) but anything melodic is good. Some bands I like are Suidakra, Megadeth, Disturbed, Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Catamenia, Strapping Young Lad, Jag Panzer, and others.

So how about you all? :)
My two comics: Bob the Alien and Tom the Turkey
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
Hyena H_ll at 9:39AM, March 6, 2009
(online)
Punk. It's not all I listen to, but it probably makes up the majority of my record collection. Here comes the TMI part:

Favorites: Dead Kennedys; Choking Victim/Leftover Crack; Fugazi; Bad Religion; Social Distortion; Rancid (pre-2000); Dead Milkmen; Agent Orange; the Clash; Ramones; X; Misfits; Iggy Pop/Stooges; Richard Hell. Currently I can't stop listening to Nausea and (the) Dicks.

Non-punk faves: Gogol Bordello; Leonard Cohen; Lou Reed; Tom Waits; Murder By Death; Pogues.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Crazy Dutchman at 10:01AM, March 6, 2009
(offline)
I really hate to choose, I wish I could make just a short answer, but I simply can't. I mostly listen to rock, but I actually find electronic to be a far more interesting genre, however I can't listen to it all the time, I need some more easily listenable stuff as well. So what sort of rock do I like? I can say all of them, but if I HAD to make a decision it would probably be either stoner or industrial. Next to these I really like myself some GOOD hip-hop and at times folk music can be brilliant.

Favorites in electronic: Aphex Twin, Ochre, Björk, Autechre, Trentemøller, Venatian Snares, Gridlock, Orbital and The Knife.

Favorites in rock: Muse, Radiohead, David Bowie, Porcupine Tree, Placebo, Joy Division, Queens of the Stone Age, Tool, Arcade Fire, The White Stripes, Incubus, Siouxsie and the Banshees and The Horrors
Stoner: Kyuss, Boris, Melvins
Industrial: NIN, Skinny Puppy (and ohGr)

Hip-Hop: Beastie Boys, Wu-Tang Clan, A Tribe Called Quest, MF Doom, Aesop Rock, El-P, edIT, RJD2 and Blockhead
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Eddie Jensen at 2:09PM, March 6, 2009
(online)
uh I can't really say genre because all these bands have usually made up their own genre for their music but here are some bands that I love

Kaizers Orchestra

Nirvana (yeah they're grunge)

Cloud Cult

Wolf Parade

Two Gallants

Firewater

Gogol Bordello

Arctic Monkeys

The Hoosiers

Final Fantasy

Bon Iver

Dr Dog

Okkerville River

Muse

I know theres somebody obvious I'm missing here… hmmm

Oh well I'll say it if I remember it.

PS: it was Foo fighters.
if I was a teapot I think I'd be orange.

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
Hakoshen at 2:26PM, March 6, 2009
(offline)
What don't I like is a better question. Still, out of everything, I like symphonic music best. What I have are mostly soundtracks and collections, like the Battlestar Galactica Soundtrack, various anime and video game soundtracks, and the guitar hero collections, with only a few actual whole popular music cds. I mostly just pick through songs I like. That's not to say I don't have techno, metal, rock, punk, oldschool rap (as in nothing released after the late 90s), and even some country. Oh, and of course, J-pop and J-rock. If I didn't have my FLCL OST's I'd lose my frakkin mind.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:40PM
machinehead at 7:46PM, March 6, 2009
(online)
I like the metal music. My favs are: Machine Head (hence my screen name), Dry Kill Logic, Americian Head Charge, Mudvayne, and lots of others.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
json at 1:24AM, March 7, 2009
(online)
my music collection consists of primarily punk rock and its many sub-genres……and 80s metal.

lawrence arms, grimple, resist, dropdead, the flatliners, army of ponch, bear vs shark, the independents, battle!…….just shitty punk rock bands from the past 3 decades.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
Cthulhu at 7:16AM, March 7, 2009
(online)
Sine there's way too many to choose from, I'll just say a few.

EBM/Aggrotech: Combichrist, Suicide Commando, :wumpscut:

Metal: Static-X, (some) Dope, Cancer Bats, System of a Down, Apocalyptica

Rock: Rainbow Butt Monkeys, TV on the Radio, Sigur Rós (If you consider them post-rock), Travis, Our Lady Peace, Stone Sour

Of course, I still like others, but only so little of the genre. I like Mika, but not much other Britpop. I like Thomas Newman, but not not many other composers. I really could go on, but to make this short, I'll just leave you with my last.fm.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
ozoneocean at 7:50AM, March 7, 2009
(online)
Oh I like the Asrebangers From Hell, the Juicy Eyeball Sorcerers, Penis-beetle, and Foxy Muff.
…………..

Well, if those bands did exist, I think I would really love Foxy Muff, that's a great name. In fact I think I'll start that band myself :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
PIT_FACE at 9:29AM, March 7, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Oh I like the Asrebangers From Hell, the Juicy Eyeball Sorcerers, Penis-beetle, and Foxy Muff.
…………..

Well, if those bands did exist, I think I would really love Foxy Muff, that's a great name. In fact I think I'll start that band myself :)

OH!OH! and i'll make a band called the Scrotum Roids and we can have a girl band battle like in Jem!HAVE AT'CHA!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
ozoneocean at 10:26AM, March 7, 2009
(online)
YOU'RE ON!

The Foxy Muffs will glam-funk-metal the Scroids into the dust! Grrrrr!
/angry glitter cheeks/

PIT_FACE at 12:20PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
no way!and it's Scrotum Roids, ya two bit barbie!
HUFF! i bet THOSE arent even REAL!
GASP!
lba at 1:55PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
Not to cut in on the exceptionally well-exaggerated glam-rock drama, but I'll toss in my two bits.

I'm a skanker myself. I love 2nd and 3rd wave ska, especially stuff like The Toasters, Big D and the Kids Table, Mustard Plug and Mad Caddies to name a few.

Beyond that, I listen to mostly punk stuff like Hyena mentioned and a lot of eccentric stuff that mixes genres. Stuff like Boston Irish punk rock, folk metal, dub-rock and beat-ska ( Imagine what happens if you do the Beastie Boys with a horn section. ).
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
ozoneocean at 8:01PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
PIT_FACE
GASP!
/stomps eight inch silver heel/
Of course they're fake! We give our fans what they want.
But you're the expert on fake. Call that Metal? More like Plastic!
/squints evil mascara eyes/

fern at 9:58PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
I listen to a bunch of indie ‘cause I like to think than I’m better than everyone else… much like every other person who listens to indie in the first place. Zing.

No really, I love you.

Just give me a bunch of Sufjan Stevens and I'm good… none of that instrumental crap.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
Insizwa at 12:49AM, March 8, 2009
(offline)
I usually go through phases which last a couple years and stick around with me.

Like Metal: I like the classic stuff, Thrash, and some oldschool Death.

Fav metal bands: Megadeth, Gwar, Dream Theater, Arch Enemy…And I recently bought a CD of Death

Right now I'm going through a industrial rock phase. I have about 14 of KMFDM's CDs (a German industrial band - which is awesome!)

Check out this music video (probably their most metal song): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOc4-uxjOEc
The video is of their album art animated, which is really cool, since it has a flashy woodcut style to it.

And here's one of their classics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwpshFxzxHE&feature=related
This is not an AMV, their music video actually had anime in it.

And keep in mind these vids were made in the early 90's

Anyway: right now I'm listening to “PIG” a one man industrial band.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:01PM
MetalLuigi at 3:16AM, March 8, 2009
(online)
fern
I listen to a bunch of indie ‘cause I like to think than I’m better than everyone else… much like every other person who listens to indie in the first place. Zing.

Hehe, what about those of us in between who listen to both mainstream and indie? We're both better and worse than everyone else at the same time, so we end up ripping apart the space time continuum.

I'm going to have to check out this Surjan Stevens. :)

Insizwa
I usually go through phases which last a couple years and stick around with me.

That's how my tastes work as well. Right now I'm going through a metal fixation as previously stated. Before that it was punk and hard rock and in between there was a short period where I was into Kanye West for some strange reason. The forecasts say there's a 90% chance I'll be into electronica next.
My two comics: Bob the Alien and Tom the Turkey
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
Insizwa at 5:39AM, March 8, 2009
(offline)
Electronics, that's kinda broad. Like techno/trance/industrial/dance. I recommend “Plastic Angel” and “Lords of Acid”

Here's some Lords of acid (I think the genre is called acid rave or something - I don't know) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuQHT7nmYHU

Another from Lords of Acid (just a heads up: all their lyrics are sexual and usually hilarious) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N23ZkXoTI14 And the anime in this video is called “FLCL” if your interested, I highly recommend it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:01PM
PIT_FACE at 7:51AM, March 8, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
PIT_FACE
GASP!
/stomps eight inch silver heel/
Of course they're fake! We give our fans what they want.
But you're the expert on fake. Call that Metal? More like Plastic!
/squints evil mascara eyes/

/talk to the hand/
metal? METAL?! YOU WOULDNT KNOW METAL IF IT BIT YOU IN THOSE FAT ANKLES OF YOURS!
it's not about the fans! it's about ME!
i'm an artist dammit and you're nothing more then the flavor for the day!
SNAP! SNAP!
/chokes through stoma/
Dark Pascual at 9:25PM, March 8, 2009
(online)
I really like Rock in general. Personally I like to listen from Elvis to Killswith Engage.

Right now, since Im playing the bass in a J-Rock band, Im listening a lot of Japanese bands (Buck Tick, Luna Sea, etc…)

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
Koshou at 11:25PM, March 8, 2009
(offline)
I'd listen to anything, so it's hard to choose a specific genre.

My favorite solo artist would have to be Imogen Heap. She is amazing and everyone should go listen to her now. Now. Now. Seriously, do it. Right now. Here, I'll even post some youtube links for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDWcwRSlS1s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cpSv2mNhhc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKZsZkH_MJc

YOU HAVE NO REASON NOT TO DO IT GO GO GO
EDIT: er, but ignore that poor sound quality in some of those videos >>

…that aside, I'm also really digging Kanye West right now. huh.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
ozoneocean at 12:12AM, March 9, 2009
(online)
PIT_FACE
/talk to the hand/
metal? METAL?! YOU WOULDNT KNOW METAL IF IT BIT YOU IN THOSE FAT ANKLES OF YOURS!
SNAP! SNAP!
/chokes through stoma/
/Mouth open, shocked, sobs/
FAT ANKLES??!!! FAT ANKLES!! How DARE you!!
You're just jealous of my giant, fantastic hardcore industrial boots.
Maybe when you're as successful as I am you'll be able to afford a pair for yourself.
They're better than those prossie ones you're wearing now!
But then I suppose you music's so crap you have to earn your money SOME way…
/Tosses massive teased mane of multicoloured sparkly hair contemptuously/

PIT_FACE at 2:08PM, March 9, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
PIT_FACE
/talk to the hand/
SNAP! SNAP!
/chokes through stoma/
/Mouth open, shocked, sobs/
FAT ANKLES??!!! FAT ANKLES!! How DARE you!!
You're just jealous of my giant, fantastic hardcore industrial boots.
Maybe when you're as successful as I am you'll be able to afford a pair for yourself.
They're better than those prossie ones you're wearing now!
But then I suppose you music's so crap you have to earn your money SOME way…
/Tosses massive teased mane of multicoloured sparkly hair contemptuously/

/breaks a nail/
WHAT? i dont have money becuase i don't sell out!
Unlike SOMEONE in this room,
Little miss LIP SYCH!
THAT'S RIGHT WE ALL KNOW!
come, Brett Micheals, let's go!

Hyena H_ll at 3:04PM, March 9, 2009
(online)
PIT_FACE
come, Brett Micheals, let's go!

That depends if it's 80's Brett Michaels, or present day Brett Michaels.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
PIT_FACE at 4:25PM, March 9, 2009
(online)
/continues to choke out of stoma/
neither dear, he's an actor,
but you can rent him for 2 dollars an hour out of a place in pheonix
as a matter of fact my times almost up with tihs one
here, you can have him.
/go on now Thomas, ya have a new home now./
Walrus at 4:46PM, March 9, 2009
(online)
Rock, Christian Rock, Christian Rap. I also listen to some Electronic. I'm really into Lecrae right now, he's a great artist. His songs are deep with a deep message. You should all look into him.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved