Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

whats more entertaining in your oppinion "black and white"comics or "color'' comics
ann_the_angel at 9:20AM, June 1, 2007
(offline)

hi there im new and im starting a manga comic and i dont know whether i color it or leave it black and white .

what will be more showing and entertaining for you?
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
Hijuda at 10:17AM, June 1, 2007
(offline)
… You really should make a post, instead of just asking the title to do it all for you.

Anyway, I usually like color comics more, as they're more eye catching. But a well done black-and-white comic can do the trick just as well as color.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
Puff at 11:16AM, June 1, 2007
(offline)
Well it all depends on the mood of the comic. For a happy comic, I like color, for a mystery or a noir, black and white can work just as well as dull colors. The art style, the shading… there's more than one type of black-and-white. There's grey tones, like someone who may be doing their comic in pencil, cell shading, mixtures, outlines only… give us some examples of what sort of black-and-white you mean.

Problem with black-and-white is… if you do your comics in it, a lot of people are going to assume you're doing a manga, no matter what style you draw in or how often you stress that it's read left to right… :\
Insufficient funds, banner reposessed! >:0

http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Cure
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:54PM
Janen at 1:19PM, June 1, 2007
(offline)
Manga like Naruto or Bleach rule in the B&W style despite their absence of color, and when applied to a comic black and white can create a darker atmosphere than even a color comic could manage to do. I think that if the artist really has a western style(ex. The Naked Nurse), people won't confuse it with a manga.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
glenfx at 9:15PM, June 1, 2007
(online)
I usually like the pencil work more than the inked version (b&w) because its much more artistic and natural. But if its inked then i prefer it to be in color, sometimes the ink is quite hard to read.
SO, i find much more entertaining a color comic than a b&w one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
StaceyMontgomery at 7:22AM, June 2, 2007
(offline)
color tends to attract the eye - it makes comics prettier.

In B&W, I think there is a lot more freedom to explore. The line has more power in B&W, whereas in color comics, the shape tends to dominate.

So I love both.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
LunarYouko at 8:40AM, June 2, 2007
(offline)
Personally, I'd prefer a well done black and white comic to a poorly done color comic. I think color only works if it is done well.

From an artist's point of view, I prefer using black and white, usually using screentones in my comics because of time issues. It just takes too long to do a really nice color comic, and in the week it'd take me to get each page done, I would lose interest in the comic.

Strictly reading comics, it all depends of the comic. Some are in color and they work well, some are in black and white and they work well. It's more the story and overall art that makes a comic entertaining for me, the color or lack there of, only serves to enhance or detract from what is already there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
patrickdevine at 2:09PM, June 2, 2007
(online)
For me it depends on what kind of B/W or what kind of color. Black and white can be very moody and dramatic but it can also look incomplete or poorly thought out. Color can add a lot if done right, but when a color scheme doesn't fit the tone of the writing it can take a lot away from the comic as well.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
Hijuda at 7:03PM, June 2, 2007
(offline)
ann_the_angel
hi there im new and im starting a manga comic and i dont know whether i color it or leave it black and white .

what will be more showing and entertaining for you?

Ah, now you post.

Anyway, for most manga comics I've seen, black and white works very well. If you know how use tones and greyscales, it can look amazing.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved