Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

When is the best time/day to post a page?
emjee at 3:32PM, Aug. 18, 2008
(online)
I realize this has been asked, and answered, before. However i am too impatient to search for the forum page with that question, with my slow internet. Do forgive my sloth.

Anywho, I recently found time to actually finish the next page of my comic, and would like to post it up at the best day or time when more of us Duckies are logged on.

Any tips, or know how? anything est veeery goot~
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
skoolmunkee at 1:00AM, Aug. 19, 2008
(online)
Because of time zone differences, there's no clear time when the most users are on. You're not really gaining much by updating at that time anyway- your thumbnail may appear on the front page for 5-10 minutes, but that's about it. DD's busiest time is basically 11am eastern, onward through 10 at night or so. There's not much difference hour to hour. The dinner hours seem busiest (6-8 eastern through 6-8 pacific), but I haven't got a chart or anything to confirm that. However, the main page's thumbnails turn over faster at that time too.

If you update in the morning, then the more people that visit your comic will see a new page to read. Also, if you've updated today, in the Browse page you'll see TODAY in big red letters under your comic. Same sort of thing for people who have favorited it- it will say TODAY in updated. But ONLY until midnight (pacific?), at which point the system rolls over. So, no matter what time you update during the day, it will only say TODAY until midnight. It doesn't go by 24 hours.

(also, sig images should be 480x60, or 250x100, or somewhere inbetween- 445x100 is too big I'm afraid)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
Skullbie at 1:33AM, Aug. 19, 2008
(online)
Whoo good advice from Skool! :)

Personally i post a page early should be used to entice people to comment, they like to leave them right on the pages first day usually.

For days of the week i've found mon-wed-thur have the most visitors, with sunday being an all time low Saturday a second lowest. The other days fall average.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
Signz at 7:05AM, Aug. 19, 2008
(offline)
i update around 9 and 10 each morning… and i live… uh… GMT-5?

i dunno but my comics' thumbnail seems to stay on a bit longer than it would later in the day when people are on. and then also if there checking out my comic and i update late in the night, they may just not check thinking i didn't update. kinda get me? :3
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:36PM
emjee at 11:33AM, Aug. 19, 2008
(online)
skoolmunkee
Because of time zone differences, there's no clear time when the most users are on. You're not really gaining much by updating at that time anyway- your thumbnail may appear on the front page for 5-10 minutes, but that's about it. DD's busiest time is basically 11am eastern, onward through 10 at night or so. There's not much difference hour to hour. The dinner hours seem busiest (6-8 eastern through 6-8 pacific), but I haven't got a chart or anything to confirm that. However, the main page's thumbnails turn over faster at that time too.

If you update in the morning, then the more people that visit your comic will see a new page to read. Also, if you've updated today, in the Browse page you'll see TODAY in big red letters under your comic. Same sort of thing for people who have favorited it- it will say TODAY in updated. But ONLY until midnight (pacific?), at which point the system rolls over. So, no matter what time you update during the day, it will only say TODAY until midnight. It doesn't go by 24 hours.

(also, sig images should be 480x60, or 250x100, or somewhere inbetween- 445x100 is too big I'm afraid)

Thanks a bunch! and i will get right on the sig image.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
mattchee at 12:54PM, Aug. 19, 2008
(online)
I'd say as early in the day as possible, or upload ahead of time and let it post automatically at midnight….

If something on my favorites list doesn't have “TODAY” by it… or a star on the dropdown list, I assume there's nothing new and don't check it. People do update at weird times, and I'll miss pages because of that. The only comics that I'll bother to check if they don't have “TODAY” is if they update like clockwork.

LAST WORDS is a good example of that (except that he's taking a bit of break right now)… 5 days a week, never fails. Once in a while though, it seems Alex updates right before the switch, and so on a new day, it doesn't show up as new. But I know he always updates so I'll check anyway.

Unless you have that rigidity, though, and a enough people who give a poop, I'd rather bank on getting it in early on the same day.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
JoeL_CQB at 9:03PM, Aug. 19, 2008
(online)
I post when I wake up. Which is usually at 1 or later. PM
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
YuKiKoDeSu07 at 7:36AM, Aug. 25, 2008
(offline)
I've experimented with different times and days to post and I've found that I gain the most visitors between 2-5 pm, not matter the day :D

But it's also fun to post REAL early in the morning because the thumbnail seems to stay on the frontpage longer and you have a greater chance for more people to see.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:53PM
Brogan at 9:39PM, Sept. 6, 2008
(online)
I tend to let the pages post automatically (around 1:00am eastern). There always seems to be hits at anytime of the day on DD which is pretty cool, really.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved