Debate and Discussion

When the troops return ...
mapaghimagsik at 12:26PM, Sept. 8, 2007
(offline)
bobhhh
mapaghimagsik
TnTComic
And lets not forget the ones who want to travel, shoot people, and blow shit up.

Lets call that an extremely small percentage, if only because now all the “lets pin a medal on each and every one of them” crowd is going to point to your comment as “you hate the troops” and my question will never get answered.

Purely selfish motives, here.

No, no you have a point, but I guess I will err on the side of giving a majority of our soldiers credit for loving their country.

I give you more credit than to think you believe we should try to single out the ones who joined for the bonuses and remove them from the homecoming parade, or worse.

One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch, girl. ;)

I don't think my example spoils the bunch at all. Where I'm actually going with this is that in many senses, we talk about an ‘all volunteer’ army, but the idea that everyone in the army had a completely similar, equitable choice in front of them is not accurate.

There's a reason recruiters go after poorer neighborhoods. It makes sense to do so because there is a percentage – and we can quibble about the actual number – of people who have no other options ahead of them. Well, there's poverty, but we know where that leads.

Isn't that a form of economic conscription?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
bobhhh at 12:38PM, Sept. 8, 2007
(offline)
mapaghimagsik
bobhhh
mapaghimagsik
TnTComic
And lets not forget the ones who want to travel, shoot people, and blow shit up.

Lets call that an extremely small percentage, if only because now all the “lets pin a medal on each and every one of them” crowd is going to point to your comment as “you hate the troops” and my question will never get answered.

Purely selfish motives, here.

No, no you have a point, but I guess I will err on the side of giving a majority of our soldiers credit for loving their country.

I give you more credit than to think you believe we should try to single out the ones who joined for the bonuses and remove them from the homecoming parade, or worse.

One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch, girl. ;)

I don't think my example spoils the bunch at all. Where I'm actually going with this is that in many senses, we talk about an ‘all volunteer’ army, but the idea that everyone in the army had a completely similar, equitable choice in front of them is not accurate.

There's a reason recruiters go after poorer neighborhoods. It makes sense to do so because there is a percentage – and we can quibble about the actual number – of people who have no other options ahead of them. Well, there's poverty, but we know where that leads.

Isn't that a form of economic conscription?

You're right of course, I just don't see how we should treat them any differently when they come home. At best they got way more than they signed up for, especially the guard and reservists, and at worst they are getting cheated out of their fair compensation.

My point is they all deserve a handshake and thanks for a job well done, even if their bosses fucked up the war.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
mapaghimagsik at 12:40PM, Sept. 8, 2007
(offline)
bobhhh
My point is they all deserve a handshake and thanks for a job well done, even if their bosses fucked up the war.

You'll get no disagreement from me on that. They at the very least deserve not to be deionized for their bosses' bad decisions. And at least this time the National Guard didn't kill any Americans.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
bobhhh at 12:42PM, Sept. 8, 2007
(offline)
mapaghimagsik
bobhhh

You'll get no disagreement from me on that. They at the very least deserve not to be deionized for their bosses' bad decisions. And at least this time the National Guard didn't kill any Americans.

Oh…you…we agree. Hmmmm.

Well then you're a stupid head!!!!!

:P
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved