Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

When to start?
Metalbender92 at 1:40PM, Nov. 30, 2008
(offline)
I am FINALLY ready to start a webcomic. It's a gag a day comic. How many should I post at the launch, how big of a buffer should I have, and is there anything else I should do before starting?

Thanks!
A sketch comic filled with little comedic bundles!
The Meekler Files
Where every day is a hiatus!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
Vakanai at 3:21PM, Nov. 30, 2008
(online)
Metalbender92
I am FINALLY ready to start a webcomic. It's a gag a day comic. How many should I post at the launch, how big of a buffer should I have, and is there anything else I should do before starting?

Thanks!
Post only one at the launch. Maybe two if the first page is just a cover page.
Before you start, double check to make sure you're good with it and there's no mistakes.
That's all the advice I can think of on the subject. Good luck!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
Custard Trout at 9:20PM, Nov. 30, 2008
(offline)
Vakanai
Post only one at the launch. Maybe two if the first page is just a cover page.
Before you start, double check to make sure you're good with it and there's no mistakes.
That's all the advice I can think of on the subject. Good luck!

This. You should do a third and fourth check as well, just in case.

For your buffer, just do as many as you can, and keep drawing even if you have one, it seems obvious but for some reason people don't seem to catch on.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
thoththegrey at 3:32AM, Dec. 1, 2008
(offline)
It all depends. Penny Arcade, to my knowledge, tends not to have a buffer. Some story comics don't begin posting until the entire story is done.

You might want to have two months. That's a nice, comfy lead.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:29PM
Tacster002 at 8:41AM, Dec. 1, 2008
(offline)
I strongly recommend a buffer….but how many comics should be in it should depend on you yourself. if you're a diligent person and can get comics done regularly, you shouldn't have too big of a buffer. but if you're worried that some personal issues/holidays/etc. can take away from your updating time, a bigger buffer would be nice so you could still update on days where your comic isn't on your mind. that sort of thing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
mattchee at 8:54AM, Dec. 3, 2008
(online)
I would make the biggest buffer humanly possible before you get antsy about starting it.

I had about a month buffer, and since april its whittled down to a week buffer. Very stressful now– I'm considering taking a brief break– to catch a breath….. I don't want the quality to suffer.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
n_y_japlander at 7:03PM, Dec. 3, 2008
(offline)
It all depends on the artist… if the art is simple, and one has the strips wrote and or outlined, then little to no buffer is needed. I do not have an art buffer, and a small outline buffer, but no time in my life to do either draw or write now… It usually takes less than 90 minutes for me to pencil, ink, shade, and word a comic strip, but even when time is on my side, I upload at the most 3 times a week.
Everyone is different, the art, story, and style, so, what works for Bob and Jane, might not be good for you.
If you have the time in your life to draw daily, a very small buffer will suffice, but bigger buffer for less time.

Corey

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:19PM
NickGuy at 12:35PM, Dec. 4, 2008
(online)
hahah yeah i had a 3 month buffer at the start of KFK, but due to laziness and drawing other stuff, Its down to like…3 days. eep!

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
CharleyHorse at 2:33PM, Dec. 4, 2008
(offline)
Metalbender92, I've just returned to cartooning after a year's lay off and I launched a gag strip yesterday. The buffer issue is different for all of us. I put together 25 strips before starting; but this is because I want to start with at least five strips up this first week. After that I will probably level out to three strips per week.

But if you are going to be producing a gag a day, every day, for week after week, then you might want to get yourself a serious buffer before starting – maybe even a fifty strip buffer. Any sort of problem in your real life can keep you away from the drawing board or your computer and that means you will be drawing on your buffer . . . and it can dwindle down to nothing in no time at all.

Aside from that, good luck!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
MailOrderClone at 3:08AM, Dec. 21, 2008
(offline)
I'd suggest a malleable buffer of sorts. Having a good number of strips drawn out beforehand, but also having the option to slide in a freshly drawn strip dealing with current events if you feel the need to do so.
Freelance writer, editor, and creative consultant. Seeking artist for webcomic. Send PQ if interested.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
OrchardHeroes at 8:40AM, Dec. 21, 2008
(online)
A buffer is so important. If your comic ever catches on, readers will not only lose interest due to delays, but grow frustrated and forget about how great your work is. I know from personal experience! Be sure the buffer is something you can work with. Good luck!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
Senshuu at 9:12AM, Dec. 21, 2008
(offline)
It all depends on your own skill/schedule and what kind of comic you're going to do!

If you do enough buffer first, however, you might catch all your errors/things you want to change before you actually post, thus saving all your new readers from the agony of sudden 10-page-in restart that some people seem to do!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
Night_Mare at 4:07PM, Dec. 26, 2008
(offline)
Start out with 10+ comics in your archive so people know what to expect when they start reading. Also, try to make the first few extra good, because that's what you'll be judged by.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:17PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved