Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Where are all the spriters at?
Mimarin at 2:46PM, Oct. 28, 2006
(offline)
Has anyone noticed how despite DD clearly having a large spriting community hardly and spriters grace the forums? How comesit that the spriters aren't engaging with the rest of the DD community? Is it that sprites are not takes seriously as a medium? or do spriters feel intimidated by the various people of absolutley immense artistic ability?

Really, what's going on?
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Rich at 2:50PM, Oct. 28, 2006
(online)
They are afraid because they know that without the power of the Circle Jerk to protect them, they are harmless and vulnerable.

Or they're just anti-social.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
subcultured at 3:09PM, Oct. 28, 2006
(online)
A word of warning…this thread is not gonna spiral down to sprite bashing again. we've had countless threads of that already.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
Mimarin at 3:14PM, Oct. 28, 2006
(offline)
that wasn't my intention with this thread, I just honestly want to know where the spriters are hiding,

Inkmonkey at 3:31PM, Oct. 28, 2006
(offline)
I've noticed a lot of spriters, if they mention spriting, tend to get bashed by, well, you people. Don't know if that's the reason or not, but that's what I've always suspected.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
Rich at 3:46PM, Oct. 28, 2006
(online)
I just thought they were anti-social. It is possible that they don't hang out on the forums long because a good bit of them have really bad grammar. And regardless of their sprite comics, noone likes bad grammar.
skoolmunkee at 3:47PM, Oct. 28, 2006
(offline)
It's because every time they show their face, certain people jump all over them. It's happened in the past and they don't want it to happen to them.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
Mimarin at 3:58PM, Oct. 28, 2006
(offline)
But that's just the ones who are annoying and really bad at spriting but think they aren't, or the ones who are Titch, but titch is a git however you look at him, there are plenty of good spriters around, like the good folks of the middle ground. Where are DD's remotley respectable spriters.

Inkmonkey at 5:22PM, Oct. 28, 2006
(offline)
Mimarin
But that's just the ones who are annoying and really bad at spriting but think they aren't, or the ones who are Titch, but titch is a git however you look at him, there are plenty of good spriters around, like the good folks of the middle ground. Where are DD's remotley respectable spriters.

Hey, whoah, whoah, no need to bring in personal attacks. I think the fact that the best you're willing to give is “remotely respectable” should explain why a lot of spriters are wary of entering the forum environment.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 6:54PM, Oct. 28, 2006
(online)
Inkmonkey
Hey, whoah, whoah, no need to bring in personal attacks. I think the fact that the best you're willing to give is “remotely respectable” should explain why a lot of spriters are wary of entering the forum environment.

Yeah. Pretty much.

Oh, and I believe “anti-social” means “sociopathic”. I think “avoidant” is the proper term. Sorry, I just get ticked when people use the phrase “anti-social” like that. Even though it is a generally a widely accepted definition and all, I have no idea why I'm so friggin' picky about it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
draxenn at 11:40PM, Oct. 28, 2006
(online)
LIZARD_B1TE
Oh, and I believe “anti-social” means “sociopathic”. I think “avoidant” is the proper term. Sorry, I just get ticked when people use the phrase “anti-social” like that. Even though it is a generally a widely accepted definition and all, I have no idea why I'm so friggin' picky about it.

Funny…just looked it up today and both definitions are correct for anti-social. So you no longer have to get ticked when people are using the term properly.

And no offence…but this
Mirmamin
that wasn't my intention with this thread, I just honestly want to know where the spriters are hiding,
is total bull in my opinion because of the antagonistic way you worded your first post.

And i'll bet the respectable spriters don't post here because it isn't worth the bashing they'll get; maybe not from you, but from those who appear to hate all sprite comics equally.

Screw the money! I have RULES!
. o O ( Evil )
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
Darth Mongoose at 5:00AM, Oct. 29, 2006
(online)
Spriters could be absent for a few reasons:
1. Many spriters do sprite comics because they're short on time. Makes sense that if you don't have time to draw, you don't have time to post.
2. They feel no need to take part in discussions about artistic technique or deeper meaning because they are just doing a simple comic for fun. This means that they think they wouldn't have a place on the forums.
3. If I knew that if I went on a forum, I'd get flamed, I'd avoid it. I know places where manga artists are considered no-talent hacks in much the same way as sprite artists are thought of here. Unless I was out to prove something or looking for a fight, I wouldn't bother, especially if I was just a kid doing a quick comic for a laugh. Heck, I avoided the DD forums for ages precisely because my first impressions of the site was that it's full of ravenous critics just waiting to tear your comic apart. Maybe not such a bad thing, but it's daunting for a newcomer, especially if they know things will be stacked against them to begin with.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
Comicmasta at 5:51AM, Oct. 29, 2006
(offline)
A shortage of spriters o_O? ERROR CANNOT COMPUTE!

is….is that even possible?

My god…the TASC did it!!!! W00TED!
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
Vagabond at 12:18PM, Oct. 29, 2006
(online)
I personally don't come to the forums that often because half the time I don't see anything I'm interested in posting on. That… and I got really tired of hearing the “spriters are a lower class of life than us” comments ad naseum over the past few months. I know that I certainly haven't been personally attacked like that, so I'm not blaming anyone here, but I don't believe in fighting a negative bias from the get-go just so I'll post on one forum. It's a waste of time for everyone involved.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
The mediocre one at 1:48PM, Oct. 29, 2006
(offline)
i'm a spriter and I“m in the forums more than anywhere else.
I personally think it has a lot to do with that, honestly, y'all meet them with a lot of ”YOU ALL SUCK, GO DIE!" so they kinda get discouraged to come here if every time they get picked on…which they probably get enough of at school.
Paper Mache Cataclysm
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:15PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 5:17PM, Oct. 29, 2006
(online)
draxenn
Funny…just looked it up today and both definitions are correct for anti-social. So you no longer have to get ticked when people are using the term properly.

I can't help it, observe:
I
Even though it is a generally a widely accepted definition and all, I have no idea why I'm so friggin' picky about it.

Seriously, I've been like this ever since I read the article on Anti-Social Personality Disorder on Wikipedia. I probably don't like it because sometimes people use the term to describe me.
Terminal at 7:45PM, Oct. 29, 2006
(online)
They're not here. That's the answer.

(Check the Forum Games section if you want to see spriters.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:10PM
LowResAtari at 8:36PM, Oct. 29, 2006
(offline)
Terminal

That is the truest statement ever…
99% of people would've finished this sente
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:47PM
Mimarin at 7:29AM, Oct. 30, 2006
(offline)
Terminal
I checked, I see…I finally see…

Knuckles at 9:09AM, Oct. 30, 2006
(offline)
The majority of the sprite people I've seen have been the ‘OMG LOLZ i am teh n00b l337’ kind of crowd that aren't really the type that like to hang around the sections of the forums that maybe you may visit.

…And no, before someone jumps on me, I'm not bashing all sprite people, nor am I calling them stupid. I've actually seen some surprisingly good sprite comics here. I think the ones that actually do good-quality sprite comics and/or make an effort with their work are usually the ones you see lurking the General forums and the like.

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
soonmme at 10:05AM, Oct. 30, 2006
(online)
Another reson could be that spriters make up the yunger area of D.D.'s comunity, and the yunger the kid the more parentel supervision, if you know what I mean.
weee
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
Rich at 11:12AM, Oct. 30, 2006
(online)
Myxo and Soonmme both raise good points on why there isn't many spriters on the forums. I hadn't even considered Soonmme's point though.
VegaX at 11:35AM, Oct. 30, 2006
(offline)
There used to be plenty of spriters posting about their comics in the “Hey Everyone Look What I Did!” forum.
Not sure if that has changed recently.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
AQua_ng at 11:54AM, Oct. 30, 2006
(offline)
Terminal
They're not here. That's the answer.

Yes, they're with me now…

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:55AM
kingofsnake at 12:34PM, Oct. 30, 2006
(online)
LIZARD_B1TE
draxenn

Words are defined by those who use them. For example: Irregardless is a word now, due to usage. If one person uses a word improperly its one thing, however if enough people misuse the same word in the same was insomuch that it is clear what they mean, that word begins to take on that meaning.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
strong414bad at 1:26PM, Oct. 30, 2006
(online)
Spriters think that everybody hates them, so they don't go talk to them. It's just like how depressing nerds hide in their parent's basements! Obviously, I don't mind a society that views me as something lesser than they are. But I wish I had more of my kind to converse with.

Then again, a forum with no Squeak might not be a bad thing…
Why hello there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:59PM
subcultured at 2:11PM, Oct. 30, 2006
(online)
language is always eveolving..that's the beauty of it.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
Darth Mongoose at 2:37PM, Oct. 30, 2006
(online)
strong414bad
It's just like how depressing nerds hide in their parent's basements!

I have to say at this point that I have NEVER met a person, nerd or not, who lives in their parents' basement. Is it just an American thing that simply doesn't exist here in England, or is it just a ridiculous stereotype that doesn't actually exist in real life? Seriously, wouldn't you just continue living in your room if you lived with your parents? Why move into the basement? Is it some kind of rite of passage that only Americans understand? ‘You are a man now! You can live in the basement!’ …and why do you never hear of women who live in their parents' basements? The whole ‘parents’ basement' thing is just as bad a stereotype as the ‘all spriters are 13 year olds with no grammatical knowledge, no artistic ability and no creativity’ thing. They're both stupid generalisations.

Since it's been established that the spriters ARE around, just concentrated on the gaming section, I wouldn't say they're really hiding so much as they concentrate on their area of interest, which happens to be games. So it's less like they're hiding in the basement, and more like they're hanging out at the arcade all the time really.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 3:00PM, Oct. 30, 2006
(online)
Darth Mongoose
Is it just an American thing that simply doesn't exist here in England, or is it just a ridiculous stereotype that doesn't actually exist in real life?

Basically a stereotype.

If my parents HAD a basement though…. I would live in it for that very reason!
strong414bad at 3:52PM, Oct. 30, 2006
(online)
Darth Mongoose
strong414bad
It's just like how depressing nerds hide in their parent's basements!

I have to say at this point that I have NEVER met a person, nerd or not, who lives in their parents' basement. Is it just an American thing that simply doesn't exist here in England, or is it just a ridiculous stereotype that doesn't actually exist in real life? Seriously, wouldn't you just continue living in your room if you lived with your parents? Why move into the basement? Is it some kind of rite of passage that only Americans understand? ‘You are a man now! You can live in the basement!’ …and why do you never hear of women who live in their parents' basements? The whole ‘parents’ basement' thing is just as bad a stereotype as the ‘all spriters are 13 year olds with no grammatical knowledge, no artistic ability and no creativity’ thing. They're both stupid generalisations.

Since it's been established that the spriters ARE around, just concentrated on the gaming section, I wouldn't say they're really hiding so much as they concentrate on their area of interest, which happens to be games. So it's less like they're hiding in the basement, and more like they're hanging out at the arcade all the time really.

Yeah. I was just using it because it was a well-known stereotype. I don't know why it exists either. Nerds in america don't live in their parents basement, either.
Why hello there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:59PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon