Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Where did all these hits come from?!?!
JLG at 4:34PM, April 26, 2010
(online)
What the heck?! On an average day, I get between 100 and 200 hits. Sometimes I'll get 300-something and on a rare lucky day I'll clear 400, but not often. But suddenly today, out of nowhere, as of 7:30pm I've got 830!
While I'd love to dance a li'l jig over that, I'm suspicious that it's some kind of glitch. The only times I ever have a big jump are when I post a new strip, and even then sometimes I don't get any boost at all. And since I didn't post a new strip yesterday or today, I have no clue where about 600 extra views suddenly came from. I'm especially dubious because you'd think with 600 views above normal, at least ONE person would leave a comment. But no one did.

Is it possible there's some kind of computer error goin' on, here? Anyone else have an unusually high stat reading today?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:09PM
JLG at 7:30PM, April 26, 2010
(online)
Jeez! Now it's 10:30 and it's up to 1,050! Where is this coming from?!?! And still not one comment. This CAN'T be right. It has to be some kind of glitch.
alwinbot at 7:46PM, April 26, 2010
(online)
Man, now you're just showing off.

Ooh look at me, I'm the super talented JLG with his 1000 page views in a matter of hours.

I kid though, you're getting these views because you're awesome.
Read this comic. It is the greatest journal comic ever written and drawn. Trust me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
mattchee at 8:13PM, April 26, 2010
(online)
You ought to get another stat counter going so you can check it against the DD stats when something like this occurs. Most stat counters will give you the valuable information of how many of these hits are page loads and how many are unique users, where they're coming from, etc… DD's is pretty basic. You could have 800 hits and it could be 800 people loading one page, or one person loading 800 pages and you don't really know…

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
JLG at 8:41PM, April 26, 2010
(online)
Man, now you're just showing off.

I knew someone was gonna say that. XP

But seriously, if I'd thought these pageviews were real, I wouldn't have started this thread. Apparently no one else is noticing anything strange with their stats. Weird. Because this makes no sense. And by the way, it's up to 1,500 now. That's 350 in one hour!!! I do NOT trust that. On my best day, I'm lucky to get 350 in 24 hours.

I'm going to write to the DrunkDuck gods and ask if I should be wary of these numbers for any reason they're aware of. It's not like DD is immune to glitches.

DD's is pretty basic. You could have 800 hits and it could be 800 people loading one page, or one person loading 800 pages and you don't really know…

That's the frustrating part. I also have the strip at another comic hosting site with a better counter that keeps track of both individual pageviews AND actual different users, but that entire site seems rather lifeless compared to DD so I pretty much stopped updating there.
To get my own counter I'd have to get a different template—-someone told me that particular DD blue template doesn't let you put one in.
skoolmunkee at 11:26PM, April 26, 2010
(online)
The pageviews are tracking right, it just means that someone's linked to you. The numbers you're seeing are likely a combination of some new viewers, and those viewers reading some number of pages.

Oz recently mentioned a neat trick on how to get the code for a template, but I can't seem to find it. It was posted in a somewhat unrelated thread or something… doesn't help that we have 3 different help forums to look in. It was something like, disabling it, then you're able to copy it out of the default html box, or something… but it didn't make complete sense to me at the time.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
ozoneocean at 11:57PM, April 26, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
Oz recently mentioned a neat trick on how to get the code for a template,
If that was me, I've forgotten it. :(
Wouldn't be the first time.

-
I checked out his pageviews in the system to see if the uniques were OK, but like a lot of comics it just shows a flat line for the uniques, so I can't tell how many he has. The system works fine for Pinky TA, but Anecdote and many other comics just don't get a good result. They definitely have a lot of hits because many of them rise in the ranks and end up on the front page- and that can only be done through unique hits, but the system for showing them in the admin section doesn't work on those particular comics.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
kyupol at 11:49AM, April 27, 2010
(offline)
you're getting famous.

The same thing happened to me.

On average, I get around 1000 - 5000 hits a day.

But when my comic got:

1) A big dissing as well as accusations that I am some sort of crazy person involved in a terrorist cult (just cuz they're the VILLAINS in MAG-ISA) in some webcomic review site and forum…

2) A big dissing in some neocon forum because of the prologue where a US soldier in Iraq shoots up his whole squad. And the overall anti-war, anti-New World Order message in my comic…

3) Featured in drunkduck back in July 2009

My hits experienced a spike.

One time, it skyrocketed to as high as 17,000 in ONE day alone.

This is just part of being a webcomic artist.

Enjoy your popularity. :)
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
JLG at 3:25PM, April 27, 2010
(online)
kyupol:

LOL! How did you manage to come to the attention of a neocon forum?

Can you point me towards the particular sequences that got their shorts in a bunch? XD

Incidentally—-I don't know what to make of the term “New World Order” because it seems to change definition all the time depending on who's talking about it. Hard-right survivalists will say it's all a big plot by the Jews (ooga-booga!) and the UN (boo!) to create a one-world government and enslave the whole population, whereas hard lefties will say something totally different, though still with the emphasis on imminent tyranny.
alwinbot at 5:08PM, April 27, 2010
(online)
All government forms are fucked up in one way or another.

Except for capitalist-anarchy. That shit is awesome.

Also, you guys are way too internet famous when you're showing up on NeoCon radar.
Read this comic. It is the greatest journal comic ever written and drawn. Trust me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
BffSatan at 2:11AM, April 28, 2010
(online)
JLG
kyupol:

LOL! How did you manage to come to the attention of a neocon forum?

Can you point me towards the particular sequences that got their shorts in a bunch? XD

Incidentally—-I don't know what to make of the term “New World Order” because it seems to change definition all the time depending on who's talking about it. Hard-right survivalists will say it's all a big plot by the Jews (ooga-booga!) and the UN (boo!) to create a one-world government and enslave the whole population, whereas hard lefties will say something totally different, though still with the emphasis on imminent tyranny.
It's kinda like how some people say that the Loch Ness Monster is a dinosaur, while other say that it isn't.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
rmccool at 8:57PM, May 14, 2010
(online)
watching page views will make you crazy…. there are programs out there that can track your readers for you and show where new readers are coming from.. yes I fuss about my page views.. from time to time.. we all do.. ok maybe not all of us… page views go up, they go down, trying to figure out why …will make you nuts and take all the fun out of it…
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:08PM
Gaddick at 4:51AM, May 22, 2010
(online)
Ya, if you start just watching your views you go a wee bit crazy… Like 11 pages of updates in one day crazy… the assload of updates and lacked quality just… isn't quite worth the 1k of readers to me… then again, it did make me a giddy Gaddy.
'Life is like a box of ammo' - Duke Nukem
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:32PM
Faliat at 6:02AM, June 2, 2010
(online)
I'm still bemused when I check on my comic views and even the ones without pages are getting them. And I'm not talking about story based pages, these comics genuinely have NO PAGES!

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Aurora Borealis at 5:39PM, June 4, 2010
(online)
I couldn't break a thousand even with a feature :(

(probably because I wasn't around to capitalize on it. I'd absoultely let everyone in sight know that yes my comic got featured so you should check it out! Unfortunately, I have returned too late for that…)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
weirdcrimetheater at 9:11PM, June 9, 2010
(offline)
I'm totally obsessed with checking my page view stats – I check them more often than my email! But since we are just starting out, it is quite easy because we only get between 8 and 50 visitors per day (if we're lucky).

KS

————————————————————-

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved