Media Megaforum

Where the Wild Things Are movie
SarahN at 9:56AM, June 6, 2009
(online)
http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/–N9klJXbjQ

God, I still have that book in my house somewhere…
I'm not sure if this looks good or not, but I kind of like the big suits. When I first heard about this I figured they would make the wild things pure cgi, which would've been more lame. Only their faces seem to be.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
ozoneocean at 10:13AM, June 6, 2009
(online)
Seems like a LOT more action than I remember from the story…
Heh, maybe I'll see it.

I'd love to see an animated version in the style of the actual book though, that'd be pretty cool. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
lefarce at 10:44AM, June 6, 2009
(online)
I dont get a lot of the hate for this movie. I mean while it is greatly expanding on a very simple and short book, I love the way it looks when it comes to life. Has a great feel too it. Feels good, man.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
lastcall at 11:19AM, June 6, 2009
(offline)
I wish they would stop making movies out of books. The whole point of a book is to stimulate the imagination and let the reader envision the story and characters in their own minds. Book movies kinda…suck that whole aspect away.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
lefarce at 11:40AM, June 6, 2009
(online)
lastcall
I wish they would stop making movies out of books. The whole point of a book is to stimulate the imagination and let the reader envision the story and characters in their own minds. Book movies kinda…suck that whole aspect away.

I kinda agree. I think there are a lot of things out there that just arent adaptable. This might be one of them. Love how it looks, but who knows how it will actually turn out.

I do with they would stop or at least slow down with all these 80's adaptions/comic adaptions/book adaptions/remakes.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
Nergal at 12:33PM, June 6, 2009
(offline)
I didn't get why people said this looks so terrible either. My god do I hate pure cgi. I'll take muppets anyday over Jarjar, hell even foam suits!!

As for it being a book remade, I don't mind books being remade. I don't read books so its nice to see the story in some form. And if it's good enough I may even go venture to read the book cuz I know there's nothing like the original.

I dont know anything about this book nor will I see the movie so uh yeah…

I'm sure most creators like having their work made into other media though. It's a testament to their popularity and such. They can reach wider audiences too.
Even I fantasize my comic being made into a movie or show.

Now remakes of (not-so)old movies or any other similar media and remakes of remakes of remakes, that needs to stop!!!!!

“Hey they already remade this movie into color and hey that remake was pretty darn good and popular. Let's remake it.”

“Hey this is was made in some asian country and is pretty darn good. Let's remake it and set it in Japan but only use Chinese actors. *high five* ”

I'ma kill them!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:12PM
Exzachly at 5:04AM, June 7, 2009
(online)
Well, if anyone can do it right its the guys they got here. Nothing but respect for Spike Jonze as a director. The movie has a great look to it, the writer of the book is on board as an advisor to the story, and Dave Eggars came on to co-write (a top notch avant-guard fiction author). Whatever comes out, it'll at least be unique and earnest, not just some generic drivel aimed at making a quick buck from the IP.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
ozoneocean at 7:22AM, June 7, 2009
(online)
It's time we gave some props (whatever that really means…) to Maurice Sendak. That guy is an ff-ing GOD and his book caused an sensation when it came out. If you don't know who he is or anything about the book you really shouldn't be commenting here. -_-

——
I don't want to be mean or elitist, or snobby, or nerdy in saying that, but it's fairly important in this case. I believe so anyway.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Hyena H_ll at 7:45AM, June 7, 2009
(online)
It seems more “inspired by” than an adaptation.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, as WTWTA is pretty near and dear to me. I'm tending towards skeptical curiosity, but I probably won't see it. I hardly ever watch movies based on/ adapted from my favorite books- it just seems like an imposition of someone else's interpretation upon my own.

But I don't particularly care for live action versions of something that was originally in illustrated form -Dr. Seuss' Grinch is another good example. Maybe it's just me- but the original books in these two examples are, to me, pretty frickin' perfect. Expounding on them and adding more to the story to fill up the two hours that a movie takes just seems like it wrecks the essence of it. Like short stories, these things are composed in a way where every detail- textual and illustrative- is necessary and there for a reason. These “children's” stories are beautifully simplistic, but at the same time carry a subtext that speaks to readers of all ages.

Although maybe it'll expose a new generation, or folks who aren't familiar with the book(s), to Sendak. For what that's worth. A lot of people, even fans of WTWTA, don't realize how prolific or diverse he was.

Agreed with Oz: Art God status indeed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
HippieVan at 11:43AM, June 7, 2009
(online)
Ah man, I loved that book. And Maurice Sendak is great(except for In the Night Kitchen, which used to scare the crap out of me). I really don't like when they try to make 2-hour long movies out of little children's books, though, so I doubt I'll like this very much. The monsters look good though.
I used to have a video with a bunch of Sendak's stories animated…I think that's a better way to make a video out of a kid's story.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
NickGuy at 4:06PM, June 7, 2009
(online)
this looks awesome. I have been pumped for this for a long time. hell yes.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
Air Raid Robertson at 5:04PM, June 7, 2009
(online)
I think the trailer looks great. I like Spike Jonze, but mostly for his music videos. For film, the only movie I really dig from him thus far is Being John Malkovich.

I sort of saw a Wild Things movie as an inevitability. I'm glad that the people making it are at least fans of the book who are trying to do right by it. If it turns out to be a bad movie, it won't be because the director and crew weren't trying. This doesn't look like a pretext to sell fat little children more Hapy Meals.

In other words, it won't be like all those horrible Dr. Seuss movies that have been plaguing us over the past couple of years.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
Jonko at 9:54AM, June 8, 2009
(online)
I think it looks great. I feel like the trailer made me feel something I haven't felt for a long time (more specifically since I was a kid). It seems like the style is geared towards adults as well as kids, so I think it looks like anyone who enjoyed this amazing book would at least find this movie heart warming.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Walrus at 7:44PM, June 10, 2009
(online)
How could you make a 20 page picture book into a 60 min plus movie without making it terrible? Especially if its Nick, they seem to ruin everything.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved