Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Where you work
Adariel at 8:29PM, May 17, 2006
(offline)
Id like to know where you make your pages, ive been trying to find the right place to draw everytime and so far havent found none. Ive tried the library, people keep looking over my shoulder when they pass by, it irritates me and i have this compulsion to hide what im doing everytime someone looks over.

I stay at my grandmothers house on weekdays, on my parents on weekends, ive tried drawing in my rooms, i usually end up asleep after a few minutes. Too comfortable a place i guess.

Being adventurous, i tried doing it at work. not good, also the boss doesnt approve :evil:

How about in a park or in starbucks. Windy places and choco frap doesnt mix well with my drawing paper.

I dont do it on the pc unlesss ive got it scanned and im coloring it, so that gives me the choice to draw away from the pc. i always carry a sketchpad on my bag wherever i go. more often than not, it stays there.

so how about you guys? whats your thoughts in this..
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
Oestaira at 2:38PM, May 20, 2006
(offline)
Well maybe I'm just weird…but I do it at work…I work in a bit of a cave, no light except for the monitor and hardly anyone comes back here…I just work at a flat desk with mechanical pencils and zig pens. ^-^
I guess I could actually draw anywhere O_o But I know what you mean about people looking over your shoulders…it drives me crazy and kinda forces me to work on my pieces that look really good so I don't feel like an idiot @_@
I found out the reason why I couldn't unserstand what it meant…the ActiveX box where the featured comics show up on the main site doesn't work on this comp…lol so I've never seen it. Was always wondering what that blank box was for….
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
Terminal at 2:51PM, May 20, 2006
(online)
Ironically, I bought a desk just so I could draw, but never actually use it to draw on, so now it just collects dust, magazines, and paper.

I prefer to draw anywhere I feel confortable, by the couch, on the side of the bed, and maybe on the computer (I rather not since the internet is right there.)

Outside, Well. I never draw outside.

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
Marl at 3:12PM, May 20, 2006
(offline)
I draw wherever there's room to put down a piece of A4 paper - or indeed, sometimes where there isn't. I usually draw in my bedroom, but sometimes the kitchen table or the front step of my house becomes a temporary studio. Anywhere where I can get natural light, really. That's all I require. The more obscure the location, the better! Keeps you on your toes and keeps your mind alert. I actually sketched out the rough design for my latest page while quarantined before an exam, simply because I had nothing better to do.

I really do prefer drawing outside, to be honest. It's so much more refreshing than sitting indoors, and I find the fresh air really … invigorating? Can't quite think of a good word for it, really. As long as it's not too windy, or raining, I'd say - Draw outside! ^_^
“Rawglrglrglrglrgl!” quoth the murloc, his wrath inflamed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
ozoneocean at 4:51PM, May 20, 2006
(online)
Tater Salad
I have a clipboard I draw on sitting and watching TV/Movies
I used to do that… I still do sometimes, it's a good way to work, as long as you don't find the TV shows too interesting (or the drawing is too boring).

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
Eunice P at 7:52PM, May 23, 2006
(online)
At home on my PC table. I don't feel comfortable drawing outside if by chance people stare at what I'm drawing. But I don't mind if my family look at my drawings.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
Anonymous at 5:38AM, May 24, 2006
(offline)
On a clipboard on note pad depending on what i'm drawing. Usually sat on my bed or led on it with the TV going. I have to have background noise when I'm working. I dont like working at a desk, so where ever I am I draw. Quite often I draw on a plane or train because my uni is so far from home.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
Piscareous at 11:51AM, May 31, 2006
(offline)
When working on my comic I draw at my desk. When freesketching(Like in a sketchbook or something) I like to be anywhere it doesn't matter.
“Censorship is the child of fear and the father of ignorance”
{url=http://www.drunkduck.com/Serenade_Song/}
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
AQua_ng at 12:15PM, May 31, 2006
(online)
I tend to draw on scrap pieces of paper on my dining table. See? I recycle old pieces of paper into works of art!

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
VegaX at 12:41PM, May 31, 2006
(offline)
Tater Salad
I have a clipboard I draw on sitting and watching TV/Movies

I always do that. I need something going on in the background while i draw. I cant just focus on the comic, it gets to quiet and boring since i can draw for several hours.

Either i listen to music or i watch a movie or listen to a DVD commentary track, all on the computer in front of me.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
Radec at 5:00PM, June 19, 2006
(online)
Well, I USED to do all my drawing in school, but now that i jsut graduated I find out that I no longer have a nice place for me to work that people won't look over my shoulder or any time to jsut sit down and do it.
not when video games and TV are such an easy option.
but when I do sit myself down to try to draw something, i usually pull a little table-thing up in front of a couch and plant my sketchbook on it.
this normally ends in me sitting at my computer sometimes, so I have also cleared a little bit of space there, so when I'm waiting for a new map on warcraft to start or something I'll doodle a bit here, a bit there.
I would try the Library or something, but as they said earlier, it's annoying when you have a compulsion to hide what you are drawing.
<= dead and buried.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:58PM
Geejay at 9:41PM, June 28, 2006
(offline)
I draw my comic in the living room usually, where the TV is. I use my laptop table for my drawing table. I especially like the fact that I can tilt the table so it does seem like it's a smaller version of a drafting table. :)

I draw the comic on A4 sized paper then scan it. I do the finishing up on the laptop.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
suzi at 9:26PM, June 30, 2006
(online)
There's a desk in my room with one of those adjustable work lamp things over it, and a slanted wood contraption that I draw on. My HUGE dresser conveniently blocks anyone from seeing me from the door (not that anyone in family cares, or that i have anything to hide, but I like the feeling). My set of markers goes on my right, my stereo on my left, and I just rock out :O

I think the bulb in my lamp is dying, slowly, and it's starting to freak me out because it seems dimmer.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
br4nzilla at 4:41AM, July 1, 2006
(offline)
Mmm, recliner or floor, usually. That way I can hunch over and get my nose reeeal close to the paper. X3
If I'm at a desk, I just feel uncomfortable, and I'm too distractable to draw by the compy unless I'm getting references from somewhere. I'm a lowly cashier, so I have no time to do any real art at work. :P

Seems like people do best where they're most comfortable.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
Anonymous at 6:30AM, July 2, 2006
(offline)
Most of my drawing is on break or lunch at work. I sometimes draw on the couch, but I often find that too distracting.

When working digitally, it used to be at the compter desk, but it's been a long time since I've done that (hence the so few updates), so even though I have a laptop and a more portable tablet now, I haven't used either for artwork.

It makes me sad, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
deletedbyrequest03 at 10:37PM, Aug. 15, 2006
(offline)
Hah, I usually work on my computer, but when I'm doing traditional stuff, I work at my desk. You know… put some music on, put a lamp over me, and start working. It's most relaxing. :D

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved