Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Which type of comic is more appealing: Mudane or over the top?
The Dark Eric Draven at 7:31PM, May 4, 2011
(offline)
I am strugglingwith this. Which does Drunk Duck like better? Balls to the walls crazy, or normal? Dr. Mcninja or S*P? The thing is, I have all these charecters, but I can't decide on what sort of setting and enviorment I want my comic to be. Ninja dinosaurs around every corner or not? Its destressing, really, and with my bad heart, it'll probaly kill me if I don't have you third parties to settle it for me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
demontales at 8:17PM, May 4, 2011
(online)
I don't think there's anything Drunk Duck prefers. There is an audience for every genre here. If it's well done, interesting, and you make it seen, you should get readers, whatever the style. If I were you I'd chose what feels like you will be able to work on it for a long time. What inspires you the most.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
Dodger at 8:28PM, May 4, 2011
(online)
Generally speaking, comics that have more of a slice-of-life feel or a cast of “normal” looking characters (ala Scott Pilgrim, for example) are more popular now, whereas more fanciful comics were more popular 5 to 10 years ago (think about how the Harry Potter crazy affected most all forms of entertainment back in the early 2000s.)

I agree with demontales, write what you'd rather write. Trying to write for a specific audience because you think it'll make you more popular almost never works. You've got enjoy what you're writing or it'll come off as pandering. : )

Koji Takahashi Stops the World, full color, updating Mondays
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
The Dark Eric Draven at 8:46PM, May 4, 2011
(offline)
Dodger
Generally speaking, comics that have more of a slice-of-life feel or a cast of “normal” looking characters (ala Scott Pilgrim, for example) are more popular now, whereas more fanciful comics were more popular 5 to 10 years ago (think about how the Harry Potter crazy affected most all forms of entertainment back in the early 2000s.)

I agree with demontales, write what you'd rather write. Trying to write for a specific audience because you think it'll make you more popular almost never works. You've got enjoy what you're writing or it'll come off as pandering. : )

But I don't know what I want to write. And the thing is, Scott Pillgrim is the sort of thing I'm talking about. Its like, in that movie everyone flips around and has powers and no one comments on it and everything is like a video game…Like, well, Dr. Mcninja. “Banditos riding dinosaurs? Giant lumberjacks? All in a days work!”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
Genejoke at 10:57PM, May 4, 2011
(online)
try writing both and see what inspires you more. People will enjoy it more if it's good and it's more likely to be good if you are enjoying making it.

Forget trying to be popular, that's a bad way to start off.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
BlkKnight at 4:26AM, May 5, 2011
(online)
If you're writing for Drunk Duck, you're doing it wrong.
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
El Cid at 5:40AM, May 5, 2011
(online)
If you're not sure which you want to do, you could do a combination of both. Truly slice-of-life stuff can be boring unless it really connects with the audience, but you could make it more interesting by doing a slice-of-life comic about some bizarre characters, like a family of werewolves or a zombie family, something like that. Or you could do something about a perfectly normal cast of characters who find themselves thrust into a bizarre circumstance, that's always a winner!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
Ice 9 at 2:00AM, May 7, 2011
(online)
hmmmmmm, look man, how many comics have you written?

How often do you intend to post?

If the answer is 2 and every day then you need to write more to get your feet wet then you can worry more about those things.

You can have more than one comic if you want and go both ways.

Just remember that if your characters are totally out there then you don't need a strong backdrop for them to play on, but if they're normal you got to have something strong.

I don't think you'd be saying “balls to the wall” if you didn't want to run balls to the wall. Just sayin' that's how you strike me.

The final thing you need to remember is that no one can or should make your decisions for you. You live or die by your own sword. Whatever you come to you need to hold yourself accountable.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved