Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Who else is enjoying this awesome front page UStream footage??!
Ironscarf at 4:27PM, July 24, 2010
(offline)
I'm enjoying it. It reminds me of The Gong Show.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
Ozoneocean at 5:54PM, July 24, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
OK, well, I give up.
I hear ya :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
Baltouni1 at 7:19PM, July 24, 2010
(offline)
Hey guys. I totally get it and you bring up great points. The next phase of WowioTV is to develop a programming grid with cool original content covering a bunch of different areas of interest. I will say right here and now that we WILL develop a Drunk Duck block of programming to cover all things that are DD-created. So it's not too late to submit ideas, videos, promos, graphics, whatever you like and we will highlight that programming on DD “Blocks” of programming. I think your audiences will LOVE to see other stuff you come up with (I will, too). I want to encourage you to expand your universes of material as broadly as you can and I will guarantee that we have a distribution channel for that material to live on.

And the other cool part is, when our ad sales network partner starts selling ad space to support the effort, you will all participate in that revenue. You keep creating cool stuff and we'll find a way to get it to a large audience and get you paid for it as well.

I will repeat here what I told Ozoneocean and Riot at the boat party: “We are here to play big and we want you all to play with us because we are on the road to making this take off and we want you all to participate every step of the way.”

Thanks for being one of the coolest communities in the online space. Keep speaking your minds and we will continue to try to support your efforts. And we'll continue to work on making the site better, too.

You all rock!

-Brian Altounian
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
Baltouni1 at 7:21PM, July 24, 2010
(offline)
And and can someone now show me how the heck to make an avatar of myself!!!!

My friends already think the “question mark profile” fits me perfectly!

Doh. I guess I'm still a bit of a dork here. (don't laugh too hard)

-Brian
ksteak at 9:23PM, July 24, 2010
(offline)
Open MSpaint, go to Image > Attributes > enter 100 x 100. OK and put whatever in the canvas, save as png. Go to My Account, Browse to your picture and Send. Done.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
smbhax at 11:29PM, July 24, 2010
(online)
Ironscarf
I'm enjoying it. It reminds me of The Gong Show.
Chuck 4 Prez! :D

(And I had no idea this forum could handle YouTube embeds in “code” tags. Sweet. :D)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
Ozoneocean at 12:33AM, July 25, 2010
(online)
Baltouni1
Doh. I guess I'm still a bit of a dork here. (don't laugh too hard)

-Brian
Baby steps :)
smbhax
And I had no idea this forum could handle YouTube embeds in “code” tags. Sweet. :D)
Don't need code tags. Volte6 made it so it works fine with YouTube as is.
skoolmunkee at 1:33AM, July 25, 2010
(offline)
Hey Brian, thanks for stopping by. :] (Brian is the main Wowio guy, whatever the business term for that is now. The boss man, lao ban)

So it looks like Wowio TV is going to be an ongoing thing? That's interesting to know, I guess that makes SDCC a sort of proof-of-concept thing and helps explain the weird variety of content going on. :] If the community here gets interested, I can easily see people wanting to submit videos of webcomic reviews, drawing tutorial videos, etc.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
Baltouni1 at 8:32PM, July 25, 2010
(offline)
Thanks for welcoming me. I haven't really participated in these forums because I don't want to be an intrusion in the community (and still don't - you know, the “suit” poking his head in without warning and all…) I will let skoolmunkee and ozoneocean and srhdt and now creepycarly communicate with you all and I'll try to stay out of the conversations. But while we're at it on WowioTV, it WILL definitely be an ongoing thing and yeah, skoolmunkee, ComicCon was just proof-of-concept so we could start to build some programming ideas. The “live streaming from the Con” idea was where we started but I know you all have amazing creativity and we wanted to give you an outlet for that.

So, please, let the submissions begin. We will set some parameters and guidelines so we have some sense of order and not the chaos that is currently there. I hope it is something cool for you all.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing the feedback and suggestions.

-Brian
Ozoneocean at 11:32PM, July 25, 2010
(online)
The more you're one of us the better Brian. Great to see you the other night on the yacht party!

About the Wowio tv- if that's to become permanent then it will have to be integrated into the site design better, and make it so it's only playable if you click on it.
Fastmax at 9:19AM, July 26, 2010
(offline)
I would want that media player removed from my screen, and from this site as well.
I came here for the comics.
If I want to watch videos all damn day -I'd go to another appropriate website for it.

If you were running “motion comics” -then this player would have a possible definite use and function here.
Not just more of this “junk music” entertainment.

As it stands -a site member doesn't even have the option to shrink it down, -or close it off. Why is it that we don't immediately have that choice/option or say AT HAND!!?

Such reflects the “piss-poor” management of this website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Ozoneocean at 9:59AM, July 26, 2010
(online)
Fastmax
excuse me?
I take that rather personally. Skool and I have managed this site on our own for a number of years now and done the very best Job that we could in that time!

Now our new owners are actually starting to take an interest in the site and things are happening finally! There is so much that needs fixing and updating and they can do that for us.

The video thing does NOT fit as it is, but we understood it was just a temporary addition for the con. If it's to stay it WILL be integrated much better and hopefully bring a bit more life to our hideous front page that most of us haven't liked for years.
Ironscarf at 10:05AM, July 26, 2010
(offline)
Fastmax

But how long have we been complaining that nobody gives a duck about us, with the admins unable to get any feedback from the corporation? It was like that Robots movie, after they put Big Weld(Volte6?) out to pasture.

Things appear to be happening now: lets not gong them off just yet!

Edit: Bah, Ozone beat me to it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
skoolmunkee at 12:37PM, July 26, 2010
(offline)
Hey, I understand the complaints about the player, I think they're completely valid and I agree with them (although not perhaps the vehemence). Just understand that a vitriolic rant tends to get a much more cool reception than something which sounds a bit more reasonable.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Randal at 7:31PM, July 26, 2010
(offline)
I just want to find out if my computer is acting up or if there really was no feature for today. I figured that the wowio stuff had something to do with the front page never seeming to update, so I don't know if I'm having a cache issue or if the website is having an update issue.

So far the only change to the front page is that when I visit it, I'm no longer barraged by rhythm-less amateur musicians slaughtering 80's music in white clothes and a pipe hanging from their lip. Gong show, indeed. Give me Gene the dancing machine any day. That didn't bother me nearly as much as the rest of the main page being seemingly frozen.

I can handle average joes getting their make a wish rockstar dream as a video feed, (I can always turn the sound off) my problem was that I couldn't see today's featured comic and I wasn't sure if my comic was being displayed on the “just updated” section or not.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:01PM
skoolmunkee at 12:56AM, July 27, 2010
(offline)
Randal
I just want to find out if my computer is acting up or if there really was no feature for today.
I didn't feature one because I felt like Thursday's didn't get a fair shake, since it was immediately shoved downward by the media player (and I suspect a number of people began avoiding the main page, or at least clicking through very quickly). I just wanted to make sure it gets its proper time in the spotlight.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Ozoneocean at 2:40AM, July 27, 2010
(online)
Maybe the vid didn't record well, or maybe Randal is just being a dick (I don't know, can't view the vid), but I was there and that music was great!

3 cheers for funky hardrock versions of 80s yacht rock!

Kinh says he's going to take the vid down.

No more dickishness please.
Why are we always like that about things here? Everything about everything is personally irritating and offensive to us… we should call ourselves Drunk Dicks
Randal at 6:05AM, July 27, 2010
(offline)
I'm not just being a dick. Some things are reserved for “I guess you had to be there.” I'm sure it was fun as hell… but (say it with me) I guess you had to be there.

You ignored the part where that wasn't what bothered me. I'm all for people being goofy and having fun. What bothered me was that every time I clicked on the main page, it was the same video. Instead of cycling through the (allegedly) other videos that were available, it was always that one and, as far as I could tell, there was no “next” or “X” button.

If I'm not able to get rid of the video screen, at least make them random or allow me to cycle through them to see the others. As for the Gene Gene comment, I was merely showcasing the best part of the fore mentioned Gong Show.

Edit:
And even that wasn't my main rub. My issue was that I suspected the temp code was interfering with the regular code since when I updated, my thumbnail never appeared in the “Just Updated” column. The only other time this ever happens is when I pre-load and my comic updates at 01:00 GMT-5 with all the other pre-loaders.
demontales at 7:39AM, July 27, 2010
(online)
It couldn't be taken off, but it could be put on pause. I think that was quite fair, especially since it was a temporary thing. I do agree that seeing the same video again and again was a little bit annoying, and I personally haven't seen much videos that really grabbed my attention. But maybe others have. I still think it was interesting. Something similar could work in long term with some adjustment and consideration.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
thefightingstranger at 8:25AM, July 27, 2010
(online)
I didn't mind it. It was something I could check out when I was bored. Only problem I had was there was not much content. It's the biggest con of the year. They could have got someone to walk around and capture more of the sights and sounds of the place.

Yeah, the screen could have been smaller and off to the side. And muted at first too. Nothing more off putting than when you click on a site and unwelcome noise blasts out of your speakers. All of a sudden it's a scramble for the volume controls.

“CONGRATULATIONS!!! YOU'VE WON–!!!” Shutupshutupshutup!!!

The WowioTV thing wouldn't bother me if it was permanent, but there should be a major facelift on the main page first. DD is due for an update/upgrade (one that works at least, heh).
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
Randal at 12:51PM, July 27, 2010
(offline)
I concur. A wowio video feed would be fine, just not front, center and in the way of everything else. Wowio may own DD, but this is still a place for amateur web comics. I'd hate to see it turn into an elite pro-centric place that takes the focus off the people who have been around forever and have made this place what it is.
spkdpnch at 1:42PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
I thought it was interesting when I first saw it, but usually I just ignore it now. It's not because I don't care but usually I'm doing other things at the time and don't want to hear something from the computer. ;) unless it's music or a movie I've made small to one side.
www.castleart.org *if I ever get it up to date, I'll be suprised*
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
Baltouni1 at 10:53PM, July 29, 2010
(offline)
Got the messages, folks. We're working on creating the best solution and don't worry, we won't lose sight of what makes DrunkDuck the greatest community of comic creators online. Go easy on us, we are definitely focussing on improving the functionality and answering your concerns, issues and questions. Kinh has been given a lot of support to make this an awesome site and we even brought Carly Wagner back into the fold to help out a bit as well. Hopefully, we will be able to answer most, if not all of your questions. We are going to experiment a bit, trying new things here and there and we'll try to not be too invasive.

Thanks for caring enough about this destination to make your voices heard. We also care.

-Brian

*How do you like my new avatar? Jason Badower made it for me (I have no artistic skills at all so I'm in awe of you all!!)
ksteak at 4:11AM, Aug. 1, 2010
(offline)
It makes you look like quite the happy chappy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon