Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Who has multi-column layout on DD and did you create it without tables?
Reinderdijkhuis at 1:29PM, May 12, 2010
(online)
I am working to bring Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan remasters back to Drunk Duck as a regularly updating feature. Before doing that, I want to update the template to reflect the ROCR main site more closely. The main site uses a multi-column layout which is created using CSS and div containers; no tables are used.

Getting this to work together with the existing tags, required top bar and CSS code for Drunk Duck has been… interesting, to say the least. I am willing to compromise a bit and use the existing table code for the navigation buttons and such. I've been able to get pretty close to the layout I want, with those compromises. But testing the template on Drunk Duck for a few minutes, I found out that Drunk Duck tries very hard to keep the comic exactly centered, when I need to move it about 200 pixels to the left, or just left-align it within its container.

Are there people using Drunk Duck who do this? If you do this, how did you make it work? If you don't do this yourself, do you know a DD cartoonist who does?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:04PM
JustNoPoint at 6:24AM, May 13, 2010
(online)
I've found it's best just to stick to tables on DD.

By the time you strip away enough of the css to work with DD you barely have any left anyway =p My sites Devon Legacy Prologue and Devon Legacy use a mixture. Though I'm probably going to go back and remove more css in Devon Legacy later because I still couldn't get the positions exactly how I wanted them.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Reinderdijkhuis at 9:28AM, May 13, 2010
(online)
Hmmm… that's unfortunate. I'll keep it in mind that what I want may not actually be doable. The layout for The Devon Legacy is close to what I want though I want to keep the overall site design simpler. So you couldn't get it to position the comic right without tables?

The actual user-visible CSS (linked and inline) for Drunk Duck is actually not that bad. It's reasonaly simple. That's why seeing the mystery meat that the service generates to show the actual comic was such a disappointment…
Reinderdijkhuis at 12:20PM, May 14, 2010
(online)
In the end, the solution was easy: there was some table code that I had left in that was causing the problem. Once I stripped that out, the comic aligned correctly. Now it's just a matter of tidying up and testing in Internet Explorer, which I don't have on any of my systems at home. 95% done and … well, the point of the sidebar was to be able to add in some advertising. This is now accomplished and will motivate me to resume the rerun project.

(I've also found out about the forum for template help. Apologies for posting in the wrong place; I won't do it again.)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved