Media Megaforum

Who is your greatest movie action star of all freakin time!
polo at 8:07AM, Sept. 25, 2007
(offline)
So many, but only one can stand at the top to himself and that man is…Bruce lee! BL is by far the king of action films! No one comes close to what he has done in action films. He made you watch without the big massive explosions! I've seen his films a million times and i'll probaly watch one again this week! My fave being Return of the Dragon!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
mlai at 8:11AM, Sept. 25, 2007
(online)
Is that movie the one where it's not really him?

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
ozoneocean at 8:57AM, Sept. 25, 2007
(online)
Kurt Russell isn't bad, especially with Big Trouble in Little China.

Schwarzenegger was an ACTION GOD back in the 80s. But in the 90s he mainly did films that parodied himself and action, and his real action films were a bit weak.

Bruce Willis. No. Willis is an almost action star, but he's not really. Truly he's an “ordinary guy” who does action roles, that was always his thing, not really the action man that the others are.

Jaki Chan. Amazing fellow. I don't like his US films, but his Chinese stuff was cool.

Stalone was an action man. He was pretty good in the first Rambo, the Rocky movies, but he ran dry, he really did. I think the trouble was that unlike Schwarzenegger, Stalone was a real actor who typed himself into the action genre because of his body and his successful action films and he was too good for it so did very badly, where-as Schwarzenegger was a celebrity body-builder and action was something he excelled at, but he couldn't do anything else. His bad speech and twisted mouth meant that people thought he was more stupid than he was.

Rutger Hauer became a terrible SciFi B-movie star, but he was pretty decent back before he lost his Dutch accent.

David Carradine was always a terrible actor, but a star of cool weird Scifi and fantasy barbarian films. He was quite good at the action parts, but as I say, always a bad actor- his stilted way of talking in his “Caine” role in TVs Kung-Fu wasn't really much of an act, that was pretty much the extent of his range throughout his career.

Van Dame was a joke. The best thing about him were his splits and “helicopter kicks”. when he stopped doing those in his films there wasn't much point watching them.

Steven Segal is an even worse joke. A bizarrely looking plastic faced, plastic haired man, the best thing about his entire career was the battleship that stared in his best film.

Geena Davis made a brief action name for herself basically being a man in her action roles. I didn't find her that interesting.

Chuck Norris. WTF is it with that guy? I never saw it. Reasonable martial art skills tied with a stupid blonde moustache and an effeminate voice. Seriously, WTF?

Charles Bronson. A darkly scary version of Clint Eastwood. Less an “action man” and more someone that simply killed people.

Clint Eastwood is another killer. Not as scary as Bronson.

John Wayne. The proto-action man. His films weren't as “dumb” as modern action films, and nor were his roles, although some of the war films come close. He's not a genuine action man.

Sean Connery is an ok action-man, in James Bond and his various other films. A true star of the smarter action films.

Kurt Douglas was the mega star of a lot of 60's action and he did it well. A true enduring star.

And that all I can think up for now, apart from Matt Damon, but he's another sort of fake action star…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
TheMidge28 at 10:07AM, Sept. 25, 2007
(online)
mlai
Is that movie the one where it's not really him?

nah, that was Game of Death.

Return of The Dragon was made before Enter The Dragon. Bruce died while making Game of Death and that is where they brought in a body double to finish the movie.

I agree with you Polo, Bruce was awesome! He died too young.

But I think Jet Li has done some amazing movies which could compete with Bruce for action superstar!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:21PM
fern at 11:00AM, Sept. 25, 2007
(online)
Tony Jaa.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
polo at 12:08PM, Sept. 25, 2007
(offline)
I still think Van-damn is good! The films he's geting sucks! With a good script and director he could make a good film.

ozoneocean at 12:29PM, Sept. 25, 2007
(online)
Wah? Didn't he write and direct his own flops? Sure, write another film for him where he does the splits and has to helicopter kick his way to victory again and maybe it'll be worth watching. lol!

Priest_Revan at 2:31PM, Sept. 25, 2007
(offline)
Bruce Lee, hands down.

Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
AQua_ng at 2:40PM, Sept. 25, 2007
(online)
“I've got an idea! Van Dame in a movie about a video game which is unfaithful to its source material! Genius”

Those poor fools.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:57AM
ozoneocean at 4:21PM, Sept. 25, 2007
(online)
Priest_Revan
Bruce Lee, hands down.
Don't you mean, “fists” down?

polo at 6:11PM, Sept. 25, 2007
(offline)
AQua_ng
“I've got an idea! Van Dame in a movie about a video game which is unfaithful to its source material! Genius”

Those poor fools.

Damn… i hate it when other people are right!
Priest_Revan at 9:24PM, Sept. 25, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
Priest_Revan
Bruce Lee, hands down.
Don't you mean, “fists” down?

What was I thinking?!

I don't deserve to even be spit at by Bruce Lee. :(
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
Armagedon at 1:04AM, Sept. 26, 2007
(online)
This is a tough call. There were a lot of good action stars. Each for their own uniqueness to each their films.

Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Jet Li all have their marks on the kung fu action (of course I'd like to add Chow Yung Fat to this catagory as well… Kung Fu Hustle owns).

Bruce Willis as John Mclaine is one of the greatest action hero's ever. Despite the whole normal cop in extraordinary situations, it really made him what he is today.

I agree with the Van Damme and Segal comments… talk about a waste of space with those guys…. Although Under Siege 2 is fun to pop in the VCR and laugh at every so often hehe).
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
mlai at 9:17AM, Sept. 26, 2007
(online)
Under Siege and its sequel are great movies.
Early Seagal movies are great too; it's just fun watching him touch someone and the poor schmuck flies into a wall 10 feet away. Ironically it felt real.

Exzachly at 12:43PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(online)
fern
Tony Jaa.

Seconded
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
Hawk at 12:49PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(online)
When I was little I sure loved Schwarzenegger. But I lost respect for him over time. Now he's drafting up bills against violent video games in an attempt to appeal to voters. I think that's quite hypocritical.

Still, he gave us movies like Terminator 2, Commando, and Predator… so I still like and respect young Arnold. Plus, he'd always have some stupid pun to go with his kills.
(“Let off some steam, Bennett.”)

And did you ever see the hilarious faces he made in Conan? Goodness, what a laugh.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
ozoneocean at 1:06PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(online)
Conan was awesomeness ^^
He should grow his hair like that.

…also Running man, Total Recall, Raw Deal, Red Heat…

Since those days; nothing worth talking about. :(

I'd have to say Kurt Douglas is the greatest action star ever.

subcultured at 3:12PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(online)
jackie chan
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
ozoneocean at 3:32PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(online)
Care to provide some justification? I think he's great too, and I've said why up there in my first post ^_^
I'm not being critical of you, I'm just really interested to read about why you think he's a great action star.

Personally, I think that like a lot of the hand to hand fighting stars, he's limited in the action department by the fact that most of his films have to be about hand to hand fighting and skewed around in order to make it logical that those silly stunts and fighting styles would be not only effective but needed. All in all though, Chan's fighting styles, coupled with his extreme mastery of acrobatics and his wonderful self depreciating humour make him out and out the BEST fighting star of all time.

That is, for the films in which he stopped being a Bruce Lee clone, and not for the US films where he's basically “the weird little Asian” guy, where the people he plays seem slightly bellow the level of the other characters in everything but fighting style, and his stunts are more fake and safe than in his Chinese films.

mlai at 4:13PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(online)
Just like Bruce, Chan was a pioneer in kung fu movies in his time.

That's a lot more than what most actors can brag about. There are plenty of great actors who can give award-winning performances, but how many actors (not directors mind you) can claim to have invented sweeping innovations in a movie genre?

Let's see… Bruce Lee… Jackie Chan… and John Woo oh but wait Woo is a director not an actor. See what I mean?

That's why Chan is great.

polo at 4:55PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(offline)
The king!

ozoneocean at 5:09PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(online)
Lee just hasn't got the portfolio sorry. Only a very small number of movies. He was always uber serious about himself in the roles too and his range and an “action Man” was extremely limited. Mlai's contention about “genre definers” is irrelevant in terms of the “best” action stars, they have to have been consistently good action men in a number of films, not just the first at something because that would mean you'd have to leave out all the great people they inspired and improved on their styles after them.

Lee just didn't do enough, in terms of film or even within his films. Not to try and claim quantity over quality or anything, and Lee was pretty high quality, but again he's just more a hand to hand fight star than a real “action” star. Yep in the more specific sub genre of hand to hand fighters, he has a decent claim, but as an “action star” he's no where near the top

kyupol at 6:01PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(online)

Robin Padilla
http://www.robinpadilla.net/AlabNgLahi.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Padilla

I liked his old gangster movies better though… :(
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
polo at 6:31PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
Lee just hasn't got the portfolio sorry. Only a very small number of movies. He was always uber serious about himself in the roles too and his range and an “action Man” was extremely limited. Mlai's contention about “genre definers” is irrelevant in terms of the “best” action stars, they have to have been consistently good action men in a number of films, not just the first at something because that would mean you'd have to leave out all the great people they inspired and improved on their styles after them.

Lee just didn't do enough, in terms of film or even within his films. Not to try and claim quantity over quality or anything, and Lee was pretty high quality, but again he's just more a hand to hand fight star than a real “action” star. Yep in the more specific sub genre of hand to hand fighters, he has a decent claim, but as an “action star” he's no where near the top

It comes down to oppions thats why the title of the thread asks “who is your fave action star”!? Bruce Lee is my fave! Also in his films there is more than just hand to hand combat…like when he uses nunchucks in almost all his films! Just because buildings aren't getting blown up and planes aren't crashing into buildings doesn't mean he wasn't an action star! He just did without the speacial effects thats all! The man made i believe four films and died young and started a Kung-gu explosion in such little time! Remeber the eighties when everyone was trying to cash in and made second rate kung-fu action films?! All that came from the impact bruce lee had! How is that not enough…just four films and to have that sort of impact is amazing really! How is a man kicking you in the face and your head poping off… not action?!
polo at 6:45PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(offline)
I want everyone to watch this clip of bruce from the Chineses Connection and tell me this is not action! No…he didn't shoot up a bunch of people or jump from an billion story floor and landed on someone's neck, but this is damn good natural action film!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q9kYKtvYU0
ozoneocean at 6:48PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(online)
Oh I KNOW all of that. But as I've already said: he's limited to hand to hand fighting (nunchucks are included in that), and being first to be good something doesn't really count because it's unfair to all who came after who were better at the same thing. Yep, it's opinion and that's all my posts and counterpoints are, but it's an opinion at variance with yours, for good reason.

And yep action is about more than blowing up buildings, but it's also about a lot more than just fight films… That is a sub-genre all to its own and its one that Lee has a real claim on. But while a fight star like Jaki Chan can honestly be said to have mastered that genre and transcended to action in general, Lee never got the chance.
-In my opinion :)

Personally, I'd like to hear more about Robin Padilla from Kyupol.

And what do people think about Christopher Lambert? Personally I think his potential, which was great, was ruined by typecasting and a choice of roles in Rutger Hauer type films. He only stood out in movies like Subway and Highlander, apart from that while he has a hefty portfolio of action under his belt, he hasn't done anything else of note that comes to mind.

Jean Reno is another “hard man” of French action. Extremely shit in is American appearances, he's always quality and hardcore in his French films. He;s no where near an all time star but he's worth noting.

polo at 7:03PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(offline)
The hell with all these action stars gotdammit! “POLO” is the best action star of all time with Bruce a close second! Don't believe me then click on my avatar!

fern at 7:53PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(online)
Exzachly
fern
Tony Jaa.

Seconded

We need more Tony Jaa supporters…

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
ozoneocean at 8:29PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(online)
What about Wesley Snipes? He proved pretty awesome in films like Terminal Velocity… Among others. Nothing to be sneezed at. Impressive hand to hand fighter as well as the gun man and the rest. And a very intimidating demeanour!

Nick Cage…? I dun think so :( How 'bout you? His action movies seem to try too hard, as if people were trying to make him into an action star. Nice girl punching in the Wickerman remake though, haw haw haw.

TheMidge28 at 8:37PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(online)
fern…I am with you. Tony Jaa rocks.
The Protector and Ong-Bak are totally awesome flicks.

What I think needs to be put into discussion which OO seems to missing is that greats like Bruce Lee, Jet Li, and Tony Ja…they are highly skilled in martial arts.

Jackie Chan for all his acrobatic flash and dance is merely just that…an acrobat.

He himself has stated as such that he has never claimed to be trained in any martial arts. Yes he has produced some very entertaining films filled with wonderous stunts which most he does himself, but so dis/do Bruce, Tony, and Jet, but they aren't playing or acting as though they are kicking ass, they actually are kicking ass. To me I guess that ranks them higher than a funny monkey who has elaborate acrobatic stunts.

Don't get me wrong I find Jackie Chan very etertaining but a true action star wouldn't be caught doing this…

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:21PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved