Debate and Discussion

Why I can't stand CNN.
Vindibudd at 11:43AM, July 31, 2007
(online)
Where I work, they have two break rooms and both of them have CNN on 24 hours a day. Now, people love to complain about Fox News being soooooo far right wing, making retarded jokes like Faux News (HURG), and so on, but let me tell you why CNN is the spawn of Satan.

Last night on Paula Zahn, she had a minority issues writer, a democrat strategist, and some other politically left individual, I think she was from Obama or Clinton's campaign.

Now the topic was OMG, a black man and woman are running for president! OMG OMG OMG.

First of all, I don't care that Obama is black or that Clinton is a woman, I care about what they would do as president. So anyway, that is the first thing, but this whole segment was about how this is so unusual that a black man and a white woman are running and would Americans vote for a black man or a woman?

So the guests were all saying the following:

1. If voters can get past all their *isms, they will vote for these two.
2. This is a great opportunity for Americans to vote for a black man and a woman.
3. I don't think Americans can bring themselves to vote for a black man and a woman, because black people can't be trusted with Michael Vick and O.J. Simpson (this guy was black which made his statements all the more outrageous) and Americans won't vote for a woman, because of Clinton's cleavage.

That, my friends, is insulting to anyone who votes based upon issues.

How about this, I won't vote for Clinton because she has stated that she wants “to go after the oil companies and the oil speculators and the manipulators of the money, because they're the ones who I think are really behind this,” Nevermind that over 50 percent of every dollar goes to the government in taxes and oil companies only get 10 cents on the dollar. So Clinton is all for destroying the economy by attacking private enterprise. She wants to make the government the enemy of its citizens, and if the oil companies go out of business, where are we the people going to get our gasoline?

I won't vote for Barak, because he wants to force kindergarten students to have sex education. (“sex education for kindergarteners, as long as it is ‘age-appropriate,’ is ‘the right thing to do.’ ‘But it’s the right thing to do to provide age-appropriate sex education, science-based sex education in schools.'” )

I'm sorry, I thought learning the alphabet and how to count was what kindergarten was for.

He also wants to “talk” to every 3rd world dictatorship who throws a tantrum, rather than taking a hard line with them, like any real American president should do.

So my not voting for either of these two has nothing to do with race and gender, and all to do with a completely 180 degree out of phase vision for this country.

So that is why I can't stand CNN. I am not a racist and I don't look at candidates' skin color or gender as my primary factor for judging their qualifications. It is too bad that CNN is so obsessed with race and gender that they cannot discuss issues that are important to this country.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
lefarce at 11:55AM, July 31, 2007
(online)
I agree with you fully. CNN is a terrible news network, and hardly ever reports anything worth watching. It's either five back to back stories of dumb ass science/logic (your friends make you fat, or holy crap you can vote for a black guy) followed by a cluster-fuck of spoiled-rich-whore news.

I put down the remote for good when it came to CNN after the Anna Nicole death fiasco. Easily some of the most pointless reporting ever. Journalism is a dead art, and CNN is the one to bury it.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Fox News as well. I can just barely tolerate MSNBC, and I despise NPR radio. There aren't many outlets left that report honest to God news. If anyone knows any please tell me, I will love you forever.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:31PM
kingofsnake at 12:04PM, July 31, 2007
(online)
Start a political blog and you too can be on CNN!

Whats that? Didn't graduate from highschool? It doesn't matter! Behold the power of the internet, and having hundreds of hours of news time to fill every week!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
TnTComic at 12:08PM, July 31, 2007
(offline)
CNN is obsessed with race and gender?

I see… so why is it that only white men have been elected president?

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:31PM
lefarce at 12:10PM, July 31, 2007
(online)
For the record, Headline News is waaaay worse than just regular old CNN, though not by much.

If I ever meet Chuck Roberts I will punch him in the throat.

They also seem to get a lot of “senior _____ analist(s)” to give us the headlines in their respective fields. Shame none of them break anything news worthy, and seldom know what they're talking about. The technology reports are the best because they're so far behind.

“GUYS LOOK, IT'S AN iPOD! YOU CAN HOOOLD MUSIC!”

Vindibudd at 12:23PM, July 31, 2007
(online)
TnTComic
CNN is obsessed with race and gender?

I see… so why is it that only white men have been elected president?

Well let's see, it wasn't until 1865 that black people were even citizens. You have to be a citizen to run, you know. And it wasn't even until 1920 that women had the right to vote, so if they can't vote, that pretty much guarantees they can't get elected. So by your logic, people should be voted for because of what they look like? I thought that people should be voted for based upon what they believe. Call me old fashioned. And of course, it is entirely appropriate to judge all of history with your enlightened 21st century view of things.
TnTComic at 12:25PM, July 31, 2007
(offline)
Vindibudd
So by your logic, people should be voted for because of what they look like? I thought that people should be voted for based upon what they believe. Call me old fashioned. And of course, it is entirely appropriate to judge all of history with your enlightened 21st century view of things.

No, i'm asking why the only people elected president have been white men. You say CNN is obsessed with gender and race, i'm saying America is.
Vindibudd at 1:16PM, July 31, 2007
(online)
TnTComic
Vindibudd
So by your logic, people should be voted for because of what they look like? I thought that people should be voted for based upon what they believe. Call me old fashioned. And of course, it is entirely appropriate to judge all of history with your enlightened 21st century view of things.

No, i'm asking why the only people elected president have been white men. You say CNN is obsessed with gender and race, i'm saying America is.

Uh, no, I am saying in 2007, CNN is obsessed with race while, America is not. You are trying to compare that with the entire history of the country and that is not a valid comparison. If CNN had been around since 1776, then you would have a valid comparison.
arteestx at 1:32PM, July 31, 2007
(online)
Vindibudd
So the guests were all saying the following:

1. If voters can get past all their *isms, they will vote for these two.
2. This is a great opportunity for Americans to vote for a black man and a woman.
3. I don't think Americans can bring themselves to vote for a black man and a woman, because black people can't be trusted with Michael Vick and O.J. Simpson (this guy was black which made his statements all the more outrageous) and Americans won't vote for a woman, because of Clinton's cleavage.

That, my friends, is insulting to anyone who votes based upon issues.

….I am not a racist and I don't look at candidates' skin color or gender as my primary factor for judging their qualifications. It is too bad that CNN is so obsessed with race and gender that they cannot discuss issues that are important to this country.

Then instead of discussing CNN, let's discuss a quote from a right-wing pundit. Here's a quote from Robert Novak from the July 15 edition of NBC's Meet the Press:

NOVAK: Republicans are very pessimistic about 2008. When you talk to them off the record, they don't see how they can win this thing. And then they think for a minute, and only the Democratic Party, with everything in their favor, would say that, “OK, this is the year either to have a woman or an African-American to break precedent, to do things the country has never done before.” And it gives the Republicans hope.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200707150002

Question: Why would Novak say this? Why would Novak and other Republicans have hope based on this criteria?

Xolta is not intended for anyone under 18 years old.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
Vindibudd at 3:10PM, July 31, 2007
(online)
arteestx
Then instead of discussing CNN, let's discuss a quote from a right-wing pundit. Here's a quote from Robert Novak from the July 15 edition of NBC's Meet the Press:

NOVAK: Republicans are very pessimistic about 2008. When you talk to them off the record, they don't see how they can win this thing. And then they think for a minute, and only the Democratic Party, with everything in their favor, would say that, “OK, this is the year either to have a woman or an African-American to break precedent, to do things the country has never done before.” And it gives the Republicans hope.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200707150002

Question: Why would Novak say this? Why would Novak and other Republicans have hope based on this criteria?

Novak is a registered Democrat. That would explain why he thinks they have hope.

Personally, I have hope because Obama and Clinton have hard left views that most people in this country do not subscribe to. And with Clinton, she is just plain unlikeable as a person.
Hawk at 8:25PM, July 31, 2007
(online)
I'll tell you what I don't like about CNN… Nancy Grace. I call her “Nancy Gracehole”. She tries to come off as some firey take-no-prisoners law person, but most of her attempts involve her rudely snapping at her guests for no good reason. Also, most of the stuff she reports on is complete fluff, like celebrity law issues. I can't figure out why they let her stay on the air for so long.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
TnTComic at 4:16AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
Vindibudd
TnTComic
Vindibudd

Uh, no, I am saying in 2007, CNN is obsessed with race while, America is not. You are trying to compare that with the entire history of the country and that is not a valid comparison. If CNN had been around since 1776, then you would have a valid comparison.

Fine. At what point in our history will you be surprised that we haven't had a woman or african american as president?

You're delusional if you don't think America is riddled with racists and sexists.
Vindibudd at 8:25AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
TnTComic
Fine. At what point in our history will you be surprised that we haven't had a woman or african american as president?

You're delusional if you don't think America is riddled with racists and sexists.

I will never be “surprised” that we haven't had a “woman or african american” as president because I do not take gender or race into account when adding up all the qualities that are important in a great leader.

Like when I am deciding what kind of hamburger I want, I think about what the ingredients are for it. Does it have lettuce and tomato, does it have ketchup, does it have cheese. I don't think, well was it made by a woman or an african american. Because that has absolutely nothing to do with the hamburger.

You want to scream that everyone is racist or sexist *just* because they haven't voted for a black man or a woman for president. You are jumping to all sorts of conclusions without considering the reality of the situation. If you are bent on hating America, well that's your call. But at least try to hate it with facts instead of second grade logic.
TnTComic at 8:58AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
Vindibudd
You want to scream that everyone is racist or sexist *just* because they haven't voted for a black man or a woman for president. You are jumping to all sorts of conclusions without considering the reality of the situation. If you are bent on hating America, well that's your call. But at least try to hate it with facts instead of second grade logic.

You're a funny guy. What makes you think I hate America?

And second grade logic? Look it up, Vindi. How many African Americans or women occupy spots in Congress or the Senate? Take it even further, are CEO's?

My wife said how sick she was around the Superbowl of all the talk about two black head coaches going head to head for the first time in the history of the Superbowl. I asked her why she didn't find that a little wierd. I also asked her if she thought it was wierd that there are no black owners in the NFL.

I don't hate America one iota, but you're ignoring an obvious fact. America has a great deal of racism and sexism. And while you and I can vote on a candidate without considering skin color or gender, remember this: the exit polls conducted in the last presidential election showed that the #1 reason why the people voted the way they did was the gay marriage issue. So you can toss that into the mix of this discussion as well. America is full of jackasses who vote for the stupidest reasons. If you don't think race or gender will factor into the results, you've got another thing coming.
lefarce at 9:46AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
TnTComic
Vindibudd

And second grade logic? Look it up, Vindi. How many African Americans or women occupy spots in Congress or the Senate? Take it even further, are CEO's?

My wife said how sick she was around the Superbowl of all the talk about two black head coaches going head to head for the first time in the history of the Superbowl. I asked her why she didn't find that a little wierd. I also asked her if she thought it was wierd that there are no black owners in the NFL.

I don't hate America one iota, but you're ignoring an obvious fact. America has a great deal of racism and sexism. And while you and I can vote on a candidate without considering skin color or gender, remember this: the exit polls conducted in the last presidential election showed that the #1 reason why the people voted the way they did was the gay marriage issue. So you can toss that into the mix of this discussion as well. America is full of jackasses who vote for the stupidest reasons. If you don't think race or gender will factor into the results, you've got another thing coming.

I once spoke with a woman who stated that if Hillary ran for office, she would vote for her ONLY because Bill cheated on her oh so many years ago. I asked her if that was really the only reason, and why she doesn't look at policies and what they're trying to bring to the table as well as their past political experiences. She said that the personal lives of the candidates is how we should all base our votes, and that “Hillary deserves it for putting up with that pig”.

I promptly told her that people like her shouldn't be allowed to vote.

America is filled with assholes who will vote for the dumbest reasons, and the government is filled with dicks who will exploit public ignorance to further their own image. Course the citizens of America don't have absolute say due to the placement of the electoral college (might as well be an electoral coin, lets just flip it and get things over with), but that's a rant for another day.

TnTComic at 9:59AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
lefarce
I once spoke with a woman who stated that if Hillary ran for office, she would vote for her ONLY because Bill cheated on her oh so many years ago. I asked her if that was really the only reason, and why she doesn't look at policies and what they're trying to bring to the table as well as their past political experiences. She said that the personal lives of the candidates is how we should all base our votes, and that “Hillary deserves it for putting up with that pig”.

I promptly told her that people like her shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Good for you, man. If I had my way, the personal lives of the candidates would be kept mandatorily secret, so the voters would have to base their votes on the politics of the candidates.

That said, I can't vote for Obama or Hillary because they sound like the same old horse shit. Give me some Joe Biden, or some Ron Paul, and i'll be a happy man.
lefarce at 10:13AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
Well, my point behind all that ( I should have made it more clear as on retrospect it seems I was going on an off-subject tangent) is that, yes, I can see how people focus on the sex or race of a person, or a lifestyle. I can understand why CNN goes overboard with the gossip news and blatant bigotry. I can agree with these assertions that a large portion of our society is too held up on trivial aspects of people's lives because I talk to people like that on a day by day basis, at work, at home, online…

Although I'm sure everyone has the tendency to focus on trivialities from time to time, it's just the way we as humans work. Some do it less than others, but I would say a large majority of Americans do it on a near constant basis.

TnTComic at 10:18AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
lefarce
I can understand why CNN goes overboard with the gossip news

They ALL do this, Fox, MSNBC, CNN… they all dish the nothing stories that everybody eats up. Paris Hilton, Jean-Benet Ramsey, Anna Nicole… they all push these tabloid stories because all they care about are ratings.

Why I can't stand CNN?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPHnXrU5JzU

That's why. (and nancy grace)

But if we're going to hate entire networks based on one show, FOX can suck it for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Eq9GNEPIA

But I really don't care for any of the televised news networks.
lefarce at 10:21AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
Oh I know they all do, I thought that just went without saying.

EDIT: God. That atheist story is bullshit, and I want to hit someone. I'm not even atheist, it's just God damn stupid.

And I actually did a comic page on Nancy Grace. Not the best art in the world and I never did fix a glaring typo, but the message is all the same.

Vindibudd at 10:42AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
TnTComic

Oh I don't know, something about saying that “America” is sexist and bigoted. Of course you could be using these as terms of endearment, but I am generally of the impression that all-encompassing statements such as these reflect a great dislike for the group being associated with it.

TnTComic

And this has to do with the presidency how?

TnTComic

And this has to do with the presidency how?

TnTComic
I don't hate America one iota, but you're ignoring an obvious fact. America has a great deal of racism and sexism.

Yes, CNN is a big champion of it.

TnTComic
And while you and I can vote on a candidate without considering skin color or gender, remember this: the exit polls conducted in the last presidential election showed that the #1 reason why the people voted the way they did was the gay marriage issue. So you can toss that into the mix of this discussion as well. America is full of jackasses who vote for the stupidest reasons. If you don't think race or gender will factor into the results, you've got another thing coming.

Gay marriage is a completely different topic from gender and race roles in choosing a president.
TnTComic at 12:22PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
Vindibudd
TnTComic

Oh I don't know, something about saying that “America” is sexist and bigoted. Of course you could be using these as terms of endearment, but I am generally of the impression that all-encompassing statements such as these reflect a great dislike for the group being associated with it.

I'm reminded of something Al Franken said; Liberals love America like a parent loves their child. They correct the child when they do wrong, in the hopes of making the child grow up to be a responsible adult. Conservatives love America like a child loves its parents. America is always right, and can never ever be wrong! America is perfect and will always be perfect!

Yes, I can love America while acknowledging its flaws. The same way that you can love America while pretending it has none.

And if you think the issues that affect homosexuals have nothing in common with racism or sexism, well, there's really not much I can say about that.

Vindibudd at 3:09PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
TnTComic
I'm reminded of something Al Franken said; Liberals love America like a parent loves their child. They correct the child when they do wrong, in the hopes of making the child grow up to be a responsible adult. Conservatives love America like a child loves its parents. America is always right, and can never ever be wrong! America is perfect and will always be perfect!

Yes, I can love America while acknowledging its flaws. The same way that you can love America while pretending it has none.

And if you think the issues that affect homosexuals have nothing in common with racism or sexism, well, there's really not much I can say about that.

Well here, you are saying that I don't believe America has any flaws, that I believe America is perfect. Could you please point out where I said this? I never said that there is no racism or sexism in America, though I would say that not *ALL* of America is sexist and racist. Here we are, are you an American? Are you a racist and sexist? No? Well I guess that means that not *ALL* of America is racist and sexist.

And this is not going to let you threadjack this into homosexuality and the differing views on it.
Hawk at 4:35PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
TnTComic

That's a cute analogy, but a highly exaggerated one. I think it's a bit absurd to imagine that even the conservative of people wouldn't find any fault with their country.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
TnTComic at 5:04PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
Vindibudd
TnTComic

Well here, you are saying that I don't believe America has any flaws, that I believe America is perfect. Could you please point out where I said this? I never said that there is no racism or sexism in America, though I would say that not *ALL* of America is sexist and racist. Here we are, are you an American? Are you a racist and sexist? No? Well I guess that means that not *ALL* of America is racist and sexist.

And this is not going to let you threadjack this into homosexuality and the differing views on it.

You're absolutely right, and always have been. I wish I could compete.
mapaghimagsik at 5:15PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
Great discussion. So why hasn't America had a person of color or a woman for president?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
TnTComic at 5:28PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
mapaghimagsik
Great discussion. So why hasn't America had a person of color or a woman for president?

Apparently because none of them have had any good ideas or are any good at politics.

I mean, what other conclusion can we be lead to believe? Clearly my points are all wrong, so that's really all that's left, right?
EmilyTheStrange at 5:48PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
mapaghimagsik

Because more than half of the country is made up of people who would rather die than see anyone outside of the traditional “powerful white man” role take control their country. The American people don't want change, I know people who say they're going to flee the country to Canada if Hiliary gets elected because “she'll start pmsing a month into her term and hand the country over to terrorists.”

I'm not exagerating, that is what I was told by one of my classmates.

I don't think Hiliary would be a bad president, or Obama really, people just can't look beyond the fact that they have different color skin or breasts.

The sad truth is that, if one of these two canidates were elected, or any other canidate who wasn't white or a woman, they would probably be assassinated durring their term by a pissed off white redneck.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
TnTComic at 6:00PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
Careful, Emily, I said America is riddled with racists and sexists and I was branded an America hater. Reminds me of when I protested going to war in 2003.

WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA

Yeah, that's a new line.

It'd be nice to live in a place where i'm not confronted by the fact that this country has deep racist and sexist roots, but I'm in Indiana, so its not gonna happen.

And Vindi, this is intrinsically tied to the issues of homosexuality because what we're talking about is the voting practices of bigots in America. Racism, sexism, homophobia, anti-semitism… take your pick. If a presidential candidate belongs to any non-white straight christian male group, they're going to lose votes based on deep-rooted bigotry that has existed in America for a long time. Its all the same topic.
mapaghimagsik at 6:11PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
Interesting. Do you think it has anything to do with the current American fetish for Totalitarianism?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Vindibudd at 6:21PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
TnTComic
Careful, Emily, I said America is riddled with racists and sexists and I was branded an America hater. Reminds me of when I protested going to war in 2003.

Yeah, well unlike you, I wouldn't consider that a glowing assessment of America.

TnTComic
It'd be nice to live in a place where i'm not confronted by the fact that this country has deep racist and sexist roots, but I'm in Indiana, so its not gonna happen.

Because like you know, there aren't any other countries at all that have racist and sexist roots, except for of course, every other country on the face of the planet. But hey AMERICA is RACIST AND SEXIST! OOH RAH!

TnTComic
And Vindi, this is intrinsically tied to the issues of homosexuality because what we're talking about is the voting practices of bigots in America. Racism, sexism, homophobia, anti-semitism… take your pick.

Except that homosexuality is not like being born black or being born a male or a female. But that would take this whole thing into another topic of whether or not someone can help that they whether they are gay or not.

TnTComic
If a presidential candidate belongs to any non-white straight christian male group, they're going to lose votes based on deep-rooted bigotry that has existed in America for a long time. Its all the same topic.

And it has absolutely NOTHING to do with one's views on anything, whether they are elected president.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved