Media Megaforum

Why is Adult Swim's lineup so retarded?
jalford at 12:22AM, Jan. 23, 2006
(online)
Notice how Adult Swim just can't keep a competent lineup for more than 2 days to save their damn lives? I mean, the second that they get something even remotely good going on it, they just f— it up with reruns of some show nobody gives a crap about anymore. I'm not just talking about the comedy show. The anime stuff need a serious enima too. I mean all real otaku have already seen Cowboy Bebop and Big O to death by now. The fact that they recently got Evangelion years after all the hype about it went down doesn't help. And Gigantor is a freakin' kids show from the 60s fer Christ's sake! Their highest rated shows: Ghost In The Shell, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Inu Yasha are now being only showed once a week. Scryed is fair, but a little dated, and Lupin III is dumbass too old.

As far as the comedy stuff, Boondocks is okay, without me having to delve into social commentaries on it. Perfect Hair Forever started out okay, but soon became a little more of a brainfart near the last 2-3 episodes(I know they still have 4 more to do). 12 Oz. Mouse is really a bunch of left over characters from PHF and Space Ghost: CTC that they put in some kind of mentally impared notebook version of Grand Theft Auto. Tom Meets The Mayor isn't even animated, which makes me wonder why its even on Cartoon Network(“cartoon” implies animation!). Futurama and Family Guy I have no problems with, althought Seth MacFarlane's other show American Dad is like a hastily put together version of Family Guy, just with more politcal overtones to it(Capt. Picard is the only thing keeping that thing above water!). Squidbillies is just too sporadic and jumbled to find funny. Moral Orel is too dark to find funny(that show needs a laugh track, big time!). Robot Chicken and Harvey Birdman are two of the only original AS shows that're regularly funny. I don't mind reruns of Sealab 2020 and Brak Show, but they need some new stuff big time.

As far as titles they could add to the anime lineup, definately Hellsing, Bastard, Berserk, Burst Angel, Initial D, Excel Saga, Burn Up Scramble, Geneshaft, and Kiddy Grade(I'm thinking of stuff that's currently owned by American licensors). On the comedy lineup, of stuff that's already been on TV, maybe Clerks, Downtown, Celebrity Deathmatch, Aeon Flux, Duckman, Clone High, or God, The Devil, & Bob. Hell, I'd even nominate the old The Tick animated series!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Thevampire_kain01 at 4:08AM, Jan. 23, 2006
(offline)
i can't believe what im reading, you think that adult swim sucks? damn, i swear, i do admit that it can be stupid but its better than some kiddie @#$! and we dont want that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
isukun at 8:02AM, Jan. 23, 2006
(online)
Ghost In The Shell, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Inu Yasha are now being only showed once a week. Scryed is fair, but a little dated, and Lupin III is dumbass too old.

A lot of fans love the classic anime series. I'd watch Lupin III before Inu Yasha any day of the week. The only problem I see with it's CN representation is the butchering of the script and the addition of ridiculous, inappropriate accents that don't even match the characters. Old doesn't mean bad. Eva was likely added because they signed off on the series years ago and never went anywhere with it. I doubt ADV would sell licensing at this point. They want people to pay for the Anime Network, after all, and that's exclusively ADV properties.

As far as titles they could add to the anime lineup, definately Hellsing, Bastard, Berserk, Burst Angel, Initial D, Excel Saga, Burn Up Scramble, Geneshaft, and Kiddy Grade(I'm thinking of stuff that's currently owned by American licensors). On the comedy lineup, of stuff that's already been on TV, maybe Clerks, Downtown, Celebrity Deathmatch, Aeon Flux, Duckman, Clone High, or God, The Devil, & Bob. Hell, I'd even nominate the old The Tick animated series!

For anime, it really depends on what they can get their hands on. Licensors in the US have to negotiate for broadcast rights seperately from the publishing rights. This is easier and cheaper if everything is done at once, but most anime isn't licensed with broadcasting in mind. In order for CN to get broadcast rights, the American company that holds the rights has to renegotiate their contract with the rights holders in Japan, and often pay more. Then they have to produce a version for TV. This costs more money than it's worth with most anime that's already available on DVD. The people who want to see the show already have and likely prefer their uncut versions.

As far as the other shows go, it depends on who owns them and whether they want to allow CN to show them. I doubt MTV would sell the rights to their shows to Cartoon Network when they still make revenue from the DVD sales. Clerks would be pointless considering the extremely short run it had and Kevin Smith won't be making any more anytime soon. I believe there may be some licensing issues with Duckman. Can't remember what exactly, but I had heard it was in some sort of copyright limbo which not only kept it from seeing new episodes, but had kept it out of syndication, as well. The Tick is currently being shown on Toon Disney as part of their Jetix programming block. I believe it's on every night of the week.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Hawk at 10:39AM, Jan. 23, 2006
(online)
Thevampire_kain01
i can't believe what im reading, you think that adult swim sucks? damn, i swear, i do admit that it can be stupid but its better than some kiddie @#$! and we dont want that.

I think most of Adult Swim's lineup is more childish and stupid than some things you might consider “kiddie @#$!”. When I watch Adult Swim I feel like it's geared toward 14-year-old stoners.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Eggbert at 10:59AM, Jan. 23, 2006
(offline)
I only watch it for Fullmetal Alchemist. I just love how that show can deliver plot twist after plot twist and still make my jaw drop. It's just crazy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:19PM
InsaneOtaku at 3:10PM, Jan. 23, 2006
(offline)
what adult swim needs is anime that can not yet be legally seen in the states. I'm talking about stuff like Eyesheild 21, Bleach, and Eureka 7(oh, how i can't wait for that to come over here). Naruto and FMA(i think) both came to CN before they were released on dvd so why can't the same thing happen to other anime?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:01PM
ccs1989 at 3:53PM, Jan. 23, 2006
(online)
I hate dubbed anime, so I don't watch it for that, and it doesn't have Justice League Unlimited, so I can't watch it for that, and overall…well I liked Sealab season 1, but other than that I agree with you.

Maybe if they brough back Batman Beyond reruns…
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Mazoo at 4:51PM, Jan. 23, 2006
(offline)
Meh, I've never been all that pleased with Adult Swim. I agree with Hawk. 14 year old druggies would probably find that stuff amusing, but since I'm not into that stuff, well… we can just say I can't appreciate the humor of many of the shows.

Some of the animes were ok, but I got sick of Inuyasha and Fullmetal Alchemist really fast. I did enjoy Case Closed a bit, though, but even that was a little boring at times. I just haven't been too impressed with a lot of animes I've seen recently.

Basically, when Adult Swim comes on, I change the channel.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
isukun at 5:40PM, Jan. 23, 2006
(online)
I wouldn't hold my breath on Gantz. Even putting aside that it's an ADV series, Adult Swim does have certain limitations on what they can and cannot show. Despite the rating system, they have yet to really show anything with that level of violence (not sure about the sex, I've read the manga, but the excessive internal monologues and distracting CG turned me off to the show after the first DVD).

Terminal at 8:56PM, Jan. 23, 2006
(online)
I don`t know, I`m pretty wacked out when I watch it. And it`s not amusing (watching a a cup of Cup Noodles microwaving is more interesting than some of the shows. I`m not kiding by the way) It`s like they rely on Family Guy to carry their ratings. And fill in the rest with stuff some people made on Macromedia Flash, with the same humor as FG (I`m not a FG fan.) Well, least they got Futurama and sometimes Cowboy Bebop.

Whatever. At least it`s something to watch on sleepless nights waiting for either Conan O`Brien or some uncensored movie on Comedy.

They got to give some of us insomniacs a little more. Are we not people too?

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
Thevampire_kain01 at 4:19AM, Jan. 24, 2006
(offline)
rotmfflmmfao :lol:
subcultured at 1:00PM, Jan. 24, 2006
(online)
I like GIS, i saw the beggingin and the end, but no so much the middle. I want GANTZ in there.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
jalford at 11:15PM, Jan. 24, 2006
(online)
The one thing they need to start doing is actually show the opening credits to Inu Yasha(Christ forbid!).
Crazy Dutchman at 9:58AM, Feb. 21, 2006
(offline)
You guys should be happy you even have Adult Swim ;) Ya cry babies
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:47AM
jalford at 2:52PM, Feb. 21, 2006
(online)
Oh, yeah sure!(“He said while holding up an index finger in an appropriate manner”). That's why they replaced Big O with the Gary Coleman Show. Let me say that again. THE FREAKIN' GARY COLEMAN SHOW!!!! The hell???!!!!!
Hawk at 7:33PM, Feb. 21, 2006
(online)
FinbarReilly
I actually like the late-night stuff. FLCL 4ever!

There's only 6 episodes of FLCL, right?

How long can that stay fun?
Terminal at 7:57PM, Feb. 21, 2006
(online)
adult swim bump: question
Does all American animation have to be funny?

adult swim bump: answer
of course not, look at Drawn Together.

I`m pretty sure that`s the pot calling the kettle black.

I mean, most of Adult Swim`s programs are crap (most I say, and I think Futurama is moving to Comedy Central, so..), geared to the immature humor. Kinda like Drawn Together or Family Guy (the humor is pretty much references to something in the 80`s or something that a character does that is really stupid, DT is all shock), and I guess that`s what people want.

tbs`s late night block is a lot better than Adult Swim, Come on. They have Mr. Show With Bob and David.

What they need, well. More funny shows, and a bit more anime. Not that much. You don`t want to OD. Because ODing on anime is not very healthy.

Sometimes I feel like I`m the only one watching Adult Swim not for the anime.

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
CORY at 11:52PM, Feb. 21, 2006
(offline)
I try to stay away from Adult Swim.

Their schedules are too complicated for me to keep track of, and if I stay up to watch something I don't get enough sleep the next day.

So I watch it ‘On Demand,’ in which I can sometimes find some good episodes of Sealab (which I seem to like, but others don't (some)).

Also, I like checking out Home Movies. I have a skewed sense of humor.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
jalford at 1:48AM, Feb. 22, 2006
(online)
They actually cancelled FLCL, and are now playing reruns of Fullmetal Alchemist on Mondays at 12:30 and 3:30.
isukun at 7:13AM, Feb. 22, 2006
(online)
Sometimes I feel like I`m the only one watching Adult Swim not for the anime.

I can assure you that isn't true. None of my friends watch adult swim for the anime. Then again, most of my friends can't stand English dubbing in anime.

Ian Jay at 2:20PM, Feb. 22, 2006
(offline)
CORY
Also, I like checking out Home Movies. I have a skewed sense of humor.

Home Movies was great. It sounded like they were improvising the whole thing.

But yeah. I don't watch Adult Swim for the anime. Then again, I don't watch Adult Swim… much… at all anymore. (Usually I'm too busy messing around on the compa late at night.)

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Mazoo at 11:15AM, Feb. 23, 2006
(offline)
Ian Jay
Then again, I don't watch Adult Swim… much… at all anymore.

~IJ

Exactly. It's just stupid and there at much better things to watch/ do with your life at that time of night…

…like, maybe, sleep?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
Eggbert at 5:05PM, Feb. 24, 2006
(offline)
Is Moral Oral, actually, good? Because I watched that Christmas special, and I really just thought it was the most horribly depressing thing I had ever seen. And I could tell they were trying to be funny depressing. But it just really didn't work for me. I think my soul died a little, in fact.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:19PM
ccs1989 at 7:39PM, Feb. 24, 2006
(online)
I saw an episode of that show once. I'm not exactly sure what my response to it would be.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Hawk at 8:21PM, Feb. 24, 2006
(online)
Eggbert
Is Moral Oral, actually, good? Because I watched that Christmas special, and I really just thought it was the most horribly depressing thing I had ever seen. And I could tell they were trying to be funny depressing. But it just really didn't work for me. I think my soul died a little, in fact.

Moral Orel is yet another show built off of shock value, but this one takes more of a blasphemy angle. It sattirizes religious people.

Shock value has very little value in my book, which is why most of Adult Swim falls flat for me… Moral Orel included. Although, in the show, Orel does have a very delightful personality. I've gotten a few laughs out of the show.
hpkomic at 11:56PM, Feb. 26, 2006
(online)
I'm just waiting for the Venture Brothers season 2.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
jalford at 1:29AM, Feb. 27, 2006
(online)
That and the other 4 episodes of Perfect Hair Forever. It turns out that the last episode they showed with the spoofs of Japanese TV shows was actually Episode #5 with the motorcyle race one being Episode #6.
Thevampire_kain01 at 4:00AM, Feb. 27, 2006
(offline)
If only they show like south park, and stuff like that, then it wouldn't be so retarded…… we- tard- edd say it together class. wetarded. thats a good retarded class.
Inkmonkey at 12:31PM, Feb. 27, 2006
(online)
The “weird eye guy” is Uncle Ruckus (no relation).
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
Thevampire_kain01 at 3:59AM, Feb. 28, 2006
(offline)
meh

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved