Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Why must we use text bubbles?
therealtj at 7:05PM, June 2, 2007
(online)
How everyone is so obsessed with Text Bubbles? What is wrong with the simple line technique as long as it is legeble? Text bubbles are such a pain to spriters using paint, as we have limited space and have to draw them ourselves. Can anyone give me some tips as to an easy way to get text bubbles using paint? And please tell me why they are oh-so-important.

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
Hijuda at 7:21PM, June 2, 2007
(offline)

Yeah, who needs text bubbles?
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
StaceyMontgomery at 8:47PM, June 2, 2007
(offline)
So long as your words are totally clear, it doesnt matter how you present them. Prince Valiant was a genius comic strip, and it never needed any speech balloons. Be creative. Do it your own way. Blaze your own trail.

But take the “totally clear and legible” thing seriously. No one will strain to read your comic. Myself, I have no patience for hard to read comics. And there are lots of them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
Alexis at 11:51PM, June 2, 2007
(offline)
I don't use text bubbles, but I have a black and white strip with very little background and not all that much text. Do whatever you like as long as it's legible. make sure that the words aren't smashed together, and that it's clear which carachter is saying what. But, no, you don't need text bubbles. You could also write the dialogue above or below the image if you like, or have no dialogue at all. There ar really no rules. But yeah, I blow past anything that I have trouble reading.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
Red Slayer at 8:54PM, June 3, 2007
(online)
Because if we don't, the letters will run around the panels wrecking havoc.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
patrickdevine at 9:17PM, June 13, 2007
(online)
Well, limited space is not just a problem for spriters. All comics have to be careful with how they use their space. I think the most important thing that balloons do is that they seperate the text from everything else. Plus they can be shaped differently to imply a strange voice or inflection. The main thing for me is that everyone can understand balloons, creative texting is nice but it can be confusing too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
danthemancartoons at 6:25AM, June 14, 2007
(offline)
Due to the fact you are working with comics, all the text is part of the overall aesthetic. This means it can attract or detract from the comic. You are ignoring it at your own peril. The reality is that there is all sorts you can do with text and text bubbles that is interesting and exciting. YOU CAN EVEN FILL THEM WITH COLOUR!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
subcultured at 8:00AM, June 14, 2007
(online)
sometimes when i narrarate i don't use speech bubbles. i just place it in the background and make sure it's readable

J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
marine at 6:04PM, June 15, 2007
(offline)
subcultured
sometimes when i narrarate i don't use speech bubbles. i just place it in the background and make sure it's readable

I love you brother, but I have no idea what the hecks going on in your comics. I've tried and tried to wrap my head around it, and I just can't figure it out. Its pretty, but I'm utterly lost.

Personally, text bubbles help save me from headaches. Occasionally, I don't draw text boxes or bubbles, I use two lines or a line or nothing at all, but its only when ONE character is on panel and no one else could possibly be talking to them. Its just the staple of the genre. Try and do something else, but I wont' be able to read it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
subcultured at 6:53AM, June 16, 2007
(online)
heh
a lot of my writting has more than one meaning or something deeper.
i don't like to write just normal superficial stories, so they take a bit to analyze.

it's more for people who like david mack or azzarello.
everytime i re-read 100 bullets i always find something new with the writting.
i get that “oh shit! that's what he means!” epiphany.
i'd like to put that type of experience in my work and hope people will reread DIS and get that kind of feeling.

it's not really for everyone. some people might get it, some might not.

J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved