Media Megaforum

Will Burton be making Alice iN Wonderland?
Crazy Dutchman at 2:43PM, Nov. 18, 2007
(offline)
I heard this news today. I've heard of this before, but I believe that by then it was just a gossip, tough yesterday some kind of newsflash-website announced it for real.

I'm excited :) I hope it's true! Burton has been kind of my idol (a little less as he was before) and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is absolutely one of my favorite novels. The two mixed together seems like a perfect combination, but of course any version of this book is very easy to screw up.
It's told that this movie will be using the new techniques that were also used at the new movie ‘Beowulf’. From that Beowulf trailer that I saw in theaters a while back, I could only come to the conclusion that I did not like that at all and that it looks kinda icky! But with Burton directing the movie, he might be making something good out of this. I mean he has kind of an eye for visuals.

I hope the amount of songs will be kept short (the book does contain songs, but I still won't like them that much in the movie) and if they will be in there I hope they're any good. I'm one of the few people that did not enjoy the songs of Charlie and the..

So, is this old news? Has this really been confirmed? And what do other DD users think about it? :D

Edit: Can't find it on IMDB. I sure hope this was just false, 'cause it really WAS on a serious news website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Sidwarrious at 2:54PM, Nov. 18, 2007
(online)
I'm not a fan of anyone who gets alittle fame and then lives in his own ass for ten years. I liked Nightmare Before Christmas and all, but I won't suck Burton's dick for it.

I honestly hoe this is false. Everything Burton has done for the last five or more years has just been crap to me. But that's just me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:36PM
Crazy Dutchman at 3:01PM, Nov. 18, 2007
(offline)
Yeah, that's just you ;)

He might be a little TOO popular. He ain't the best director in the world imo. But I love his ideas and his imagination.
Sidwarrious at 3:13PM, Nov. 18, 2007
(online)
Oh I do too, but I don't like seeing his movies because of how much of a douchebag he is. I like to give credit where credit is due, but he already took the credit I'd give him and now his ego is destroying Neo-Tokyo.
Phantom Penguin at 6:47PM, Nov. 18, 2007
(offline)
I think he would create a cool take on Alice. I hope he does make it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
crazyninny at 7:02PM, Nov. 18, 2007
(online)
I think it would be cool if he made an Alice in Wounder Land, but I think you were mistaken by the maker of the next Alice movie.
The next Alice movie is Amercican Mcgee's Alice in Wounderland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_McGee%27s_Alice
GOD_OF_DEATH at 7:22PM, Nov. 18, 2007
(offline)
I lveo burton, he is my movie idol too, and if he does make alice in wonderland, maybe i'll like that movie more.
I miss BABAARS NINJAAR house, great memories, Ah, APPLES to APPLES
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
SarahN at 11:38PM, Nov. 18, 2007
(online)
crazyninny
I think it would be cool if he made an Alice in Wounder Land, but I think you were mistaken by the maker of the next Alice movie.
The next Alice movie is Amercican Mcgee's Alice in Wounderland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_McGee%27s_Alice
"The studio attached director Marcus Nispel to helm Alice with actress Sarah Michelle Gellar in the lead role. "
huh!? Aaaaaaand I won't be seeing it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
Sidwarrious at 11:45PM, Nov. 18, 2007
(online)
And now I won't be either.

Scooby Doo, Buffy and the rest of everything she's ever been in ruined her for me.
SarahN at 11:59PM, Nov. 18, 2007
(online)
When you hear “American Mcgee's Alice” who the FUCK thinks “Sarah Michelle Gellar”?! At least find an ENGLISH girl or someone who has some actual class or badass presense.

Hell, I'd even take Sherri Moon Zombie over her…and she ain't a Brit either.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
jalford at 3:40AM, Nov. 19, 2007
(online)
I hear they're thinking about doing a movie based on the Looking Glass Wars books too. I was planning on doing an Alice comic of my own, but since so many other dudes are doing one lately, I'm taking up a different public domain one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Crazy Dutchman at 8:42AM, Nov. 19, 2007
(offline)
crazyninny
Yes, I know about that one, but no I wasn't confused by it. The Alice in Wonderland from that newsflash website was said to be released by Disney, so it's a different one (or maybe they ment Touchtone). The reason why I tought it was true for a minute was because I hadn't heard of this project for a while, so it couldn't be announced as ‘new’ unless the project actualy IS in progress, and also I didn't know about that Disney part. AND it also claimed that they would start shooting it somewhere in April next year.

Still, I haven't heard of it anywhere else recently, so it probably isn't true. Too bad.
isukun at 10:26AM, Nov. 19, 2007
(online)
On a whim I turned on the original Star Trek episodes currently airing on G4 and they had the announcement on the news ticker that Tim Burton would be directing 3D versions of Alice in Wonderland and Frankenweenie for Disney.

There is also this.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
SwinS at 7:19PM, Nov. 21, 2007
(offline)
Seeing Burton almost got me excited.

Seeing American McGee finished the job.

Sarah Michelle Gellar ruined it.

) ':
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
Inkmonkey at 9:08PM, Nov. 21, 2007
(offline)
SwinS

) ':

But Burton isn't doing the American McGee version.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
Sysli at 2:31PM, Nov. 23, 2007
(online)
I don't know how much you want to trust my information since I can't direct you to the places I've seen this information, but I've seen this “rumor” confirmed two places, one at text-tv and the other in a newspaper (both local to my country).

Like isukun said, it seems to be a 3D version for Disney.

Now, as to my opinion about all this: Well, I've got nothing against the idea, I do like the visual side of Burton's works and enjoy them, but I seem to enjoy his “own” things more than the ones that is inspired from books. The danger with that kind of approch is that you risk dissapointing the fans of those books, and that puts a limit to what can be done creatively.
But at this point I obviously can't tell if it's going to work. The stories about Alice has been butchered and merged so many times by now that the movies rarely do much more than stick to some of the story while filling in their own ideas in between the “expected” bits. And for once I may actually prefer this to happen when it's Tim burton doing it. It can only be more faithfull than Disneys animated version of Alice in Wonderland. And as I said, I still like all his movies, I just prefer the ones not based on books.

Hope I didn't bore you all to death with this.
Because I may as well show a bit of pride. ^___^

marine at 5:10AM, Nov. 24, 2007
(offline)
Sidwarrious
I'm not a fan of anyone who gets alittle fame and then lives in his own ass for ten years. I liked Nightmare Before Christmas and all, but I won't suck Burton's dick for it.

I honestly hoe this is false. Everything Burton has done for the last five or more years has just been crap to me. But that's just me.

He's done some great works and some shitty ones. The last five years lumps Big Fish in with that assumption. It was classic Burton.

Because he does a few adaptations of stories he liked, you have to get all on his ass. I was not a fan of the new willy wonka, corpse bride was unwatchable, and planet of the apes & sleepy hollow brought nothing new to the table. Save for Charlton Heston as a damn dirty ape and Christopher Walken as the headless horseman.

Take a close look as his directorial credits.
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000318/

A lot of classic stuff. Beetlejuice. Batman. Edward Scissorhands. Batman Returns. Ed Wood. Mars Attacks.

I for one like Tim Burton. Sweeny Todd looks good, maybe not as good as Repo the genetic opera, but good. I'll see it and give a full report when it comes out. Probably when its out on tape or dvd in a year.

As for this Alice in Wonderland nonsense, I'd like to see the Americna Mcgee movie based off the pc game. My hopes are low since its a movie based off a game, but Silent Hill got a lot of things right. The Marylin Manson movie about Lewis Caroll also sounds interesting. But again, I don't expect too much.

Plus Tim Burtons version is at least a year or two away, so who gives a shit?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
SwinS at 8:23PM, Nov. 26, 2007
(offline)
Inkmonkey
SwinS

) ':

But Burton isn't doing the American McGee version.

I know. I meant that's what drew me to the thread.
korosu at 7:02AM, Nov. 27, 2007
(online)
That…would be…awesome! I don't know if he'll actually do it one of these days, but if he did, it'd be amazing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
hukkahmaster at 7:22AM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
My first thought on reading this was ‘Does that mean Johnny Depp will be playing Alice?’ :dizzy:

Seriously though, Burton is one of my favourite directors, and Alice's Adventures is one of my favourite books, this is gonna be so great.
Click here for FREE cookies!

You just lost ‘The Game’.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
korosu at 1:17PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(online)
hukkahmaster
My first thought on reading this was ‘Does that mean Johnny Depp will be playing Alice?’ :dizzy:
I…doubt that. XD But you know who he should play? The Mad Hatter. I'm getting exciting just thinking of it! 8D
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
hukkahmaster at 1:31PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
korosu
hukkahmaster
I…doubt that. XD

Wouldn't put it past him….

On a different note, how loyal to the book do you think it will be? It better be pretty damn close :mad:
Click here for FREE cookies!

You just lost ‘The Game’.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
patrickdevine at 8:15PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(online)
It might be kind of cool, but I think Terry Gilliam could do a better Alice.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
jalford at 3:19AM, July 31, 2008
(online)
Please God, not a stop-motion action one. They already did one, and it was HORRORFYING!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
mechanical_lullaby at 6:41AM, July 31, 2008
(online)
hukkahmaster

Nah, it means Helen Bonham Carter will be Alice. Johnny Depp will be her cat.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
bobhhh at 11:56PM, Aug. 1, 2008
(offline)
Burton is overrated. He has the talent, but he ends up being his own worst enemy, often going for cheese over substance.

Sweeny was great. Nightmare is cool, so is Frankenweenie and Edward Scissorhands. But Big Fish was a big disappointment and his Wonka couldn't hold a candle to Gene Wilder.

But the biggest set of new clothes emperor Tim wears is Batman. Clearly he wanted to evoke both the gothic Dark Knight and the sixties TV show. By trying to be both dark and campy, he failed to deliver either, and the sequel was even worse. There simply was no danger, no fear, and conversely any small amount of levity was forced and overdone. Michael was so miscast as the tortured vigilante, the best he could was smirk and scowl. Favreau managed to wring more pathos out of Iron Man fercrissakes, what's up with that?

To see the most recent and faithful adaptations of Batman by Nolan shows up Burton's franchise for what it was…weak.

One can only imagine he will butcher Alice if he gets the chance.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:30AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved