Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Wisdom Teeth
SeriousQuiche at 7:45PM, Jan. 13, 2008
(offline)
I still have mine, but with the oncoming third one, the fear of needles and hands in my mouth and dentists in general has set in again.

Who still has their wisdom teeth, and if you don't, what was it like getting them removed?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:28PM
Priest_Revan at 8:08PM, Jan. 13, 2008
(offline)
I'm 18 and mine still haven't come in (they're trying to get in, but most likely wont come in for another good couple years… or more). I get it from my mom, she'll never get her wisdom teeth pulled either.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:49PM
usedbooks at 8:23PM, Jan. 13, 2008
(online)
Mine have been coming in for years (2 anyway – no others on the x-rays). Every now and then, my jaw hurts so much I can't eat for days. But I'd rather let them come in than get surgery. (Plus, I have no insurance. :-/ )

My mom had hers removed but she says it probably wasn't necessary. After fluoride was added to tap water and people were brushing more, the dentists had to make money by removing everyone's wisdom teeth and telling them they need braces. She doesn't have bad memories of the surgery or anything, but she's had three kids since then… and pain is relative.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
deleted-byrequest-03 at 8:26PM, Jan. 13, 2008
(offline)
Hm… Wisdom teeth…

I don't have mine yet, but I have asked my father about it just recently.

He told me that he removed them when he was in his mid thirties. He went to sleep, woke up, and the woman said they were already removed. He told me there was no pain, and said he couldn't believe it was done.

A friend of mine also recently had his wisdom teeth removed. He woke up and screamed with pain. They had to put him back to sleep.

This proves that it depends on the person. You may or may not feel pain after the operation. I am not too sure how it really is, considering that my wisdom teeth haven't even shown any sign of existance.

Hm. I can't wait.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
lba at 9:10PM, Jan. 13, 2008
(online)
I have all four and I know I have to get them removed. They're obviously messing with the alignment of my other teeth. I envy the people who don't have to worry about it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Fenn at 10:19PM, Jan. 13, 2008
(offline)
lba
I have all four and I know I have to get them removed. They're obviously messing with the alignment of my other teeth. I envy the people who don't have to worry about it.
That would be me. I have all four still. They grew in fine, no complications. I've also never had a cavity, and I still have all my adult teeth. I do have one tooth that's kind of a snaggletooth like Jewel has, though. I use it to open cans.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
DAJB at 12:06AM, Jan. 14, 2008
(online)
I have all mine (but then, I'm old!) One at the bottom is impacted (growing sideways) and, as someone else said, is pushing the others out of alignment. I had terrible headaches for about a month but - once one of the other teeth decided to give up the fight and allow itself to be pushed behind the others - they stopped.

I'm afraid my fear of pain was greater than my vanity, so I never did have that tooth dealt with. No regrets, though. (Who sees your bottom teeth anyway!?)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Whirlwynd at 5:08AM, Jan. 14, 2008
(online)
I had mine taken out. I had to because of some infection - it was a bad experience. :cry: I had options as to how I could go through the procedure, and I chose to stay awake and go with novocaine/nitrous oxide. The novocaine didn't set in properly on the right side of my mouth - they only found this out after they started to pull the tooth, and even a second dose didn't work so they just finished pulling it out.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
amanda at 8:32AM, Jan. 14, 2008
(online)
I had all four of mine removed over Christmas break when I was 19 (Christmas break from college, mind you - I wasn't still in high school). I'm terrified of needles and such, too - when I told the dentist that, though, he was very patient and very kind about the whole thing - made it as easy as possible for me.

The procedure took about 30 minutes and was pretty painless. You hear a lot of horror stories, but there are a lot of good stories too.

As for the no-insurance part, there is a company here in Austin called Scirex that does tests for investigational pain medications - and they will do the removal at no cost to you. The catch? You might get the sugar pill that doesn't work. That might mean a couple hours of soreness/pain, but then they hook you up with a prescription for vicodin, etc (also at no cost to you). Trust me, it's worth it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
lastcall at 9:58AM, Jan. 14, 2008
(offline)
I recall getting mine out when I was 15 or so. I also recall waking up while under the “laughing gas” and feeling the doctor sewing my gums (stitches). It didn't hurt; it just felt strange.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
darrell at 10:53AM, Jan. 14, 2008
(online)
As others have said, a lot of it depends on the person and the condition of the teeth. I was put under when mine were removed for a few reasons including that they knew the bottom two would be a problem as they had come in sideways. Sure enough, the top ones popped right out (or so the dentist told me). The bottom two had to be cut in half before they could take them out. This also meant my gums on the bottom were pretty cut up.

I was on Tylenol3's for a little while but was back to work fairly quickly.

I do know that despite the pain I did go through (which wasn't all that much) I was glad to have it done and over with before the teeth became infected which would have made things so much worse.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
SpANG at 12:24PM, Jan. 14, 2008
(online)
I got mine out. I'm so glad I did. Luckily, mine were only GUM impacted. There are two main types of wisdom teeth. BONE impacted and GUM impacted. Trust me, you want to have GUM impacted.

And they actually can do damage if not taken care of too. Once a tooth is impacted, it may start producing harmful bacteria, sometimes.
West Calgery Dental Group
Infection can (albeit rarely) break through the bone into the cheek or neck. Most of the time a chronic infection could be thought of more as a residence of stale bacteria that produces bone and tissue degrading byproducts (compared to an acute infection with draining purulence/pus).

Yick. XP
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
SeriousQuiche at 1:32PM, Jan. 14, 2008
(offline)
Whirlwynd
I had mine taken out. I had to because of some infection - it was a bad experience. :cry: I had options as to how I could go through the procedure, and I chose to stay awake and go with novocaine/nitrous oxide. The novocaine didn't set in properly on the right side of my mouth - they only found this out after they started to pull the tooth, and even a second dose didn't work so they just finished pulling it out.
Ouch o_0 thats sounds terrible.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:28PM
crazyninny at 1:34PM, Jan. 14, 2008
(online)
I'm going to have to get a wisdom tooth pulled later this year. Yyyyeeaaaahhh… FEEL MY SARCASM.
But, since they'er going to be in there, I'm going to see if they can put an implant in where there should be a molar.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Aurora Moon at 1:45PM, Jan. 14, 2008
(offline)
I had mine removed like around two years ago….

they put the god-damn needles into my gums first. That part stung…badly. It was almost impossible for me to stay still at that part. As seeing I have this fear of sharp objects in my mouth… which I think may be related to my far of interal bleeding.

They also thought that they were going to have to do some sugery to remove my wisdom teeth to get all of it out properly. since how sometimes if you pull a teeth out, the roots of the teeth gets left behind. but it turns out, that all of them was easily pulled out, roots and all. and it didn't even take long.

It was like I spent 5 to 10 mintues there, that was it…and then for the rest of the day at home I felt doped up.

I also had the lovely expernice of having this strong taste of blood in my mouth for that day and the next day. I didn't want to keep stuffing cotton into my mouth to soak up it, you see. It just felt so werid.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
RentAThug at 2:36PM, Jan. 14, 2008
(online)
Mine were removed a few years ago. It took a half hour or so and I was awake the whole time (I just took the freezing). It felt weird but didn't hurt.

Crime Pays, updating Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
Adariel at 3:28PM, Jan. 14, 2008
(offline)
I have an impacted wisdom tooth on my right jaw side, the dentist said that as long as it doesnt bother me or the other tooth beside it then theres no real need to get it out. So i stayed with it until now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
Croi Dhubh at 4:15PM, Jan. 14, 2008
(offline)
I have all four of mine still in. They stopped growing years back, apparently and the dentists have all told me that it would be pointless to remove them. Same thing with my mother. My father, however, had to get them removed, as one was literally rotting in place, so they removed all of them just to be safe. My brother had his come in slightly, and then they stopped.

———-
Well…I just checked online…apparently my wisdom teeth are all the way in and that's why they stopped growing…I have four molars on the top right, four on the bottom right, four on the top left, and four on the bottom left.

That might be what's making the slight bit of TMJ that I have from my accident as annoying as it is.

It never hurt when they came in… I have all 32 teeth. I counted just to make sure :stache:
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 4:30PM, Jan. 14, 2008
(offline)
I have mine. Don't see why I would get rid of them, though.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:55PM
Dan at 6:56PM, Jan. 14, 2008
(online)
All 4 (And 3-4 others I think… from what I remember from what I heard) during summer of 2007. My teeth were out of alignment… yeah.

I had the most wonderful dream ever when they dosed me with knockout gas- and they just had to wake me up when I got to the seemingly best part of it. Everyone said that it was going to hurt- it's not that bad (Probably because I go under some random sort of notably uncomfortable pain on weekly basis).
“I like shooting, but I sure as hell don't like being shot at.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
Cthulhu at 6:12PM, Jan. 15, 2008
(online)
I'm 15 years old and mine are grown in. Also, I have four others growing right now. They just started breaking the gum, and holy Jesus, the pain. ;_;

*Chews on plastic toy*
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:58AM
herio at 8:46PM, Jan. 15, 2008
(online)
i loss one a few years ago but the others are still growing

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
jissai at 4:51PM, Jan. 16, 2008
(offline)
my dentist said i dont ever need to get mine removed
apparently my mouth is big enough for a few extra teeth o.o;
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:09PM
Mister Kent at 9:47PM, Jan. 16, 2008
(online)
I have alla mine, and don't plan to get them out any time soon. My dentist said I should get them out, but they aren't causing me pain and I can clean them rather easily with my new toothbrush. Methinks he just wants my money :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:04PM
imshard at 9:50PM, Jan. 16, 2008
(offline)
Mister Kent
I have alla mine, and don't plan to get them out any time soon. My dentist said I should get them out, but they aren't causing me pain and I can clean them rather easily with my new toothbrush. Methinks he just wants my money :)

I hear that. All mine are in and they've never bugged me. The dentist wants your money.
Don't be a stick in the mud traditionalist! Support global warming!

Tech Support: The Comic!! Updates Somedays!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:58PM
Mister Kent at 10:02PM, Jan. 16, 2008
(online)
And I wanna keep ‘em for novelty’s sake, too ~ wisdom teeth sort of make you a evolutionary throwback *heh*

My anthropology teacher a few years ago told me that more and more children are not growing wisdom teeth, possibly because modern humans have little or no need for them. John and Jane Ancient used to need lotsa teeth for grinding up their tough brontosaurus burgers or whatever, but Mr. Modern Man is used to softer delicacies. Thus the wisdom tooth is going away.

Not sure if it's quite true, but still–the idea's cool.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:04PM
bbr at 7:13AM, Jan. 17, 2008
(online)
DAJB
I have all mine (but then, I'm old!) One at the bottom is impacted (growing sideways) and, as someone else said, is pushing the others out of alignment.

Same issue here. except for the headaches.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
ketenol at 10:46AM, Jan. 18, 2008
(offline)
Teeth are for squares.
THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:14PM
Croi Dhubh at 12:48PM, Jan. 18, 2008
(offline)
I actually remembered getting of of my wisdom teeth the other day. Had the memory come back when a piece of rice got stuck in my back tooth and I removed it. Suddenly, the memory of playing with the piece of gum laying over that back tooth flooded back to me.

Still, it didn't hurt when it came it, but I do remember the gum right there being a little swollen and bleeding every so often. I love having all my teeth, hahahah.

Mister Kent
And I wanna keep ‘em for novelty’s sake, too ~ wisdom teeth sort of make you a evolutionary throwback *heh*

My anthropology teacher a few years ago told me that more and more children are not growing wisdom teeth, possibly because modern humans have little or no need for them. John and Jane Ancient used to need lotsa teeth for grinding up their tough brontosaurus burgers or whatever, but Mr. Modern Man is used to softer delicacies. Thus the wisdom tooth is going away.

Not sure if it's quite true, but still–the idea's cool.
Yeah, sounds like a bunch of “I wanna be cool because I'm a teacher” crap. I hated 99% of my anthropology teachers for shit like that. Only one was cool.

I've never heard of this, “They just aren't growning!”, notion. Most people are simply getting them removed too young to really remember or too young to remember that procedure was done when having something else done.

My cousin has to have on of hers come out soon, but it's only gum impacted, luckily.
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
Pulse at 1:37PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(online)
I still have all of mine :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon