Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

With Inking Are sharpies good...
alexcat321 at 10:13PM, July 6, 2009
(online)
When I ask Are sharpies good I'm talking about are they good for filling in LARGE areas of black. I just need a bit more incite before beginning a BIG project of mine. I don't want to make a big mistake in the materials I use for inking. I'm using mostly Faber Castell products for inking but I'd like to know if Sharpies pick up well on scanners with using them to fill in large areas of black. Just lemme know. Educate me. Thanks and I really appreciate this DD community.

John Jr.

here's my deviant art: http://alexcat321.deviantart.com/ add me!

ART AND STORY BY JOHNATHAN HUDSON JR!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
skoolmunkee at 1:15AM, July 7, 2009
(online)
Sharpies pick up well, they're just about as black as you can get. The 2 problems with them, though:

1. If you're not using strong enough paper, all the ink you lay down will warp the paper because of moisture

2. Sharpies aren't fade- or acid-resistant (unless they make special pens now). Over time your blacks will turn brown and yellow. If you don't mind about ruined originals, that's not a problem.

Computers will easily fill large black areas though- why not do that instead of spending money on pens?
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
tohoscope at 9:06AM, July 7, 2009
(online)
Sharpies tend to grey/brown out over time. And sharpie ink doesn't cover areas really good.

I use the old school technique of using q-tips for filling in the spot blacks. Saves your brushes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:32PM
alexcat321 at 11:43AM, July 7, 2009
(online)
Thanks you guys, I'll take all these things into consideration, as I await more responses if any.

here's my deviant art: http://alexcat321.deviantart.com/ add me!

ART AND STORY BY JOHNATHAN HUDSON JR!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
NickGuy at 12:25PM, July 7, 2009
(online)
i love sharpies. get a sharpie paint or chisel tip and just go crazy. of course, you are going to need to adjust the levels when you scan it in. yes the ink fades, but i wouldnt be worried about that, because to be honest, nothing you do now is going to be worth keeping around years from now. youll have improved so much youll look back and be like “WHY DID I EVER THINK THAT WAS GOOD?”

so yes, i love sharpies.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
Aurora Borealis at 3:39AM, July 8, 2009
(online)
I have an old 2-page comic… all the black areas on it have turned purple over the years despite keeping it out of light.

Luckily I was smart enough to do some good photocopies of the original art before it happened. :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Jabali at 12:25PM, July 8, 2009
(online)
tohoscope
Sharpies tend to grey/brown out over time. And sharpie ink doesn't cover areas really good.

I use the old school technique of using q-tips for filling in the spot blacks. Saves your brushes.

I have done all my inking with brushes and I never heard of that “Q-tip” thing. That's a great and practical idea.

It's true what they say; You learn something new everyday.

… and yes, Sharpie ink turn brownish over time. Photocopying is a great idea if you ever need to re-scan those artwork in the future.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved