Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

With Inking comic pages by Hand, what type of pen do you use to get the Grays?...
alexcat321 at 11:28PM, July 1, 2009
(online)
With Inking comic pages by Hand, what type of pen do you use to get the Grays? Basically could all you talented inkers out there who ink pages by hand non-digitally tell me what type of pen it is that you use to get the grays (or is there more than one way to get them?). I know all about black inks but what about the grays…Like in manga, how is it done? But also I just wanted to get your personal opinions on whether they're even need or not in a black and white comic. I need some advice. Thanks.

John Jr.

here's my deviant art: http://alexcat321.deviantart.com/ add me!

ART AND STORY BY JOHNATHAN HUDSON JR!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 2:53PM, July 2, 2009
(offline)
Well, in Manga, there usually is two different ways to get the “grays”.

You could invest in some screentones, which I've been told are hard to use, and usually are pretty expensive. You can get them on the internet for free.

Or, get a few gray copic markers. That's what I did. Any kind of marker, for that matter, whether it's Prismacolor, Copic, or whatever. Just don't get anything low-end, because it'll look terrible. Copic markers are a pretty good investment, but they're kind of expensive (about 7 or so bucks a piece?) but the refills are only about 5 or so. I'd look into it if I were you. Read some reviews, buy one of each, test them out, seeing what you like.

Hope that helps! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
alexcat321 at 9:24PM, July 2, 2009
(online)
Thanks, anymore advice?

here's my deviant art: http://alexcat321.deviantart.com/ add me!

ART AND STORY BY JOHNATHAN HUDSON JR!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
Jabali at 7:25AM, July 4, 2009
(online)
I used to do grays manually using pencil on tracing paper over the original artwork, The I scanned both originals. I later manipulate the grays and “tone it” in photoshop. The good thing of this approach is that I can manipulate the tones, add colors or effects but it takes lots of time.

The cool thing of using a tracing paper over the original is that you don't ruin your artwork in case you mess-up the grays.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 12:11PM, July 4, 2009
(offline)
Jabali
I used to do grays manually using pencil on tracing paper over the original artwork, The I scanned both originals. I later manipulate the grays and “tone it” in photoshop. The good thing of this approach is that I can manipulate the tones, add colors or effects but it takes lots of time.

The cool thing of using a tracing paper over the original is that you don't ruin your artwork in case you mess-up the grays.

I forgot about pencils! Good call Jabali!

But looking at your comic, you just use pencil, right?
Unless you plan on inking your comic, whether it's with Microns, brush pen, or whatever you feel comfortable with (I know someone who uses regular Bic Pens, and it turns out fantastic), then I would probably stay away from Copics. I don't think it'd look good with the pencils.

But, if you plan on sticking with pencil, I highly recommend you just shade with pencils. You can buy artist pencils at any art supply/hobby store. I'd be really careful about it though, it can get very messy. Which is why you need to make sure your pencils are clean. Just make sure to use an eraser around the shaded areas, so the graphite doesn't rub off and smear.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
koad at 3:31PM, July 5, 2009
(offline)
I just thin out black ink with water for grays. I draw with a brush, but it'll probably still work with dip pens.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved