kyupol at 6:00PM, April 30, 2008
(online)
http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/83710

Wow this is insane.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
mishi_hime at 9:54AM, May 1, 2008
(online)
This is not a new story. You wanna see insanity? They do worse than beheading… look up the genital mutilation stories. It's pretty horrific, not just the act but the reasons behind it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:03PM
bravo1102 at 8:54PM, May 1, 2008
(online)
Atrocities committed in the name of a deity are not insane. They're quite normal and have always been with us. After all God wills it so it is all quite rational.

Just ask Richard Dawkins. http://richarddawkins.net/godDelusion
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
ozoneocean at 9:28AM, May 2, 2008
(online)
Dawkins is a blowhard. Champion of teenage type obvious statements and utter lack of cultural, historical, contextual and sociological sensibility.

———————–

Female genital mutilation is a popular feminist cause celebre to complain about in tribal Muslim societies. Yes, that would not be a good thing to happen to someone, but it's certainly not the end of the world and much worse things than even that are practised routinely in many tribal cultures. It's not as massive a deal or as evil a thing as it's made out to be. Even if it IS pretty awful.

Whereas having your head cut off IS the and of the world, for you, and that's worse than something you can live with; as many have done for hundreds of years.

———————-
The whole point of Kyupol's link and this story isn't particularly the nature of the act, it's the fact that it's happening in Iraq! This was a formally secular country, that sort of thing just did not happen there. Few people even wore veils at all. Shia, Sunni, Christians and even Jews were tolerated (not Kurds though…). And now sectarianism and extreme ideology has taken hold.
THAT's the pont of the story. The war has made things worse… -that's obvious, but that's actually the point.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
bravo1102 at 12:58PM, May 4, 2008
(online)
They also behead Americans, Koreans, so now they've gotten to women breaking Islamic law. It's the same radicalism.

The people were just waiting for Saddam to be gone so they institute classic Islam. It's across the whole Islamic world. If Saddam was still in power what's to say he wouldn't have gone to it to keep power? Many of his own laws were just as bad except they were constructed to keep him in power. He was repressing his culture by keeping it secular and eventually it would have blown up.
That's the way Islam is leaning. At least according to Islamic clerics and the current reading/textual interpretation of the Kor'an. (Things to do: learn Arabic)

A little reductionism there. Reducing female gentital mutilation by saying there are worse things? (and that it's a feminist cause) It's like saying not to worry about anti-semitism because the Holocaust was so much worse.

More reductionism. But I agree about Richard Dawkins but sadly we need a voice like his to combat the same attitudes and arguments taken up by the religious types. Secular humanism has been too mild and dependent on detailed rational argument that most just don't get as the majority of people base their opinions on emotional kneejerks. You need the bombastic to get people agitated so that maybe, just maybe they'll start thinking. And talk about simplistic teenaged philosophy try reading the great Christian writers sometime. (C.S. Lewis, Thomas Aquinas et.al.)

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
bluebot092 at 3:31PM, May 4, 2008
(offline)
jeez cuba and iraq are kinda hte same cuba has castros brother and iraq had saddam
I don't have ADD you're just boring me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:28AM
Atom Apple at 4:38PM, May 4, 2008
(online)
bluebot092
jeez cuba and iraq are kinda hte same cuba has castros brother and iraq had saddam

I see what you're saying there, those two people are strikingly similar.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:07AM
bluebot092 at 6:47PM, May 4, 2008
(offline)
lol rmember the episode of george lopez where george dresses up as castro and suprises angies uncle and father saying “ITS GO TIME!”
I don't have ADD you're just boring me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:28AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved