Debate and Discussion

Work
mapaghimagsik at 11:15AM, Dec. 5, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
I've never liked work. Never.
…Well, that's not quite true, teaching was the best job I ever did. I should look into getting more of that one day…

I've never done blue collar work, never wanted to, never needed to, but the truth is that a lot of “white collar” work is really just another form of blue collar… Whenever I do graphic design jobs that's how I feel about it. It doesn't require much thought, you just slog through it, get it done and move on to the next one. It's monkey-work, but that doesn't make you a monkey.

That doesn't matter though. I work only as much as I need to, which isn't much. That's the ideal life for me. Work funds my lifestyle but it never becomes my lifestyle.

I secretly like my job, but I'm lucky that way. My management is mostly reasonable, and the company has a strong record of being diversity friendly. My work fits well with my lifestyle and my work and social lives blur at the edges. There's work I do which helps my social and home life, and life I have which helps my work life.

Unfortunately, there's jobs out there which have to be done, that no one would like doing.

Work is an interesting way to try and break up scarse resources. Unfortunately, as things go, we're getting better and better at doing more with less people.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
crazyninny at 12:20PM, Dec. 5, 2007
(online)
All jobs are important in their own ways. With out those people who clean up road kill of the roads, we'd be driving over moutains of dead animals on roads. With out people to wounder around the woods to check animal poop, animals could die from poluted water that could of been cleaned up.
And lets not forget, those brave bastards that are forced to watch crap movies and shows just to rate and review them.

Whatever the work, there is an importance to it, even if it seems really stupid.
And no, monkies can't replace the people who do these jobs.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Mister Mxyzptlk at 4:27PM, Dec. 5, 2007
(offline)
crazyninny
All jobs are important in their own ways. With out those people who clean up road kill of the roads, we'd be driving over moutains of dead animals on roads.

The question isn't how valuable the service is but how many people can you get to do the job compared to how many people needed to fill the jobs. Picking up dead animals requires no skill at all. All you need are eyes, legs and hands. A poor sense of smell may be an asset though. Since anyone can do the job (including a trained monkey) there are literally 2 million people in the US who can fill the position (removing the elderly, the under aged and the crippled from that particular pool) and only a need for maybe a couple hundred guys to do it nation wide. As such supply is high, demand is low so it wont cost the state too much to get someone willing to do it. A doctor on the other hand requires a high level of education and experience. The need for doctors is growing every day. So you have a low supply and a high demand, thus it costs more to get someone to fill that position.
My soul was removed to make room for all this sarcasm.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:04PM
bobhhh at 4:04PM, Dec. 7, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk
crazyninny
All jobs are important in their own ways. With out those people who clean up road kill of the roads, we'd be driving over moutains of dead animals on roads.

The question isn't how valuable the service is but how many people can you get to do the job compared to how many people needed to fill the jobs. Picking up dead animals requires no skill at all. All you need are eyes, legs and hands. A poor sense of smell may be an asset though. Since anyone can do the job (including a trained monkey) there are literally 2 million people in the US who can fill the position (removing the elderly, the under aged and the crippled from that particular pool) and only a need for maybe a couple hundred guys to do it nation wide. As such supply is high, demand is low so it wont cost the state too much to get someone willing to do it. A doctor on the other hand requires a high level of education and experience. The need for doctors is growing every day. So you have a low supply and a high demand, thus it costs more to get someone to fill that position.

With your logic a trained monkey could replace you.

Just show him how to type Ctrl V, and he can paste the phrase “..can be replaced with a trained monkey that can whack off while riding a unicycle” over and over again instead of having to think.

My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
Mister Mxyzptlk at 4:06PM, Dec. 7, 2007
(offline)
bobhhh
With your logic a trained monkey could replace you.

A bakers dozen of them could replace everyone here… One with Downs syndrome could replace you. All you need him to be able to do is whine about how unfair life is when you make stupid decisions…
Mister Mxyzptlk at 4:32PM, Dec. 7, 2007
(offline)
bobhhh
Boo hoo hoo, stop insulting me, whine whine…..

Well, if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.
Mister Mxyzptlk at 6:12PM, Dec. 7, 2007
(offline)
bobhhh
Why don't I just unicycle out and whack off while I'm at it?

If you want to, just keep a roll of toilet paper at the ready. We don't need the mess around here.
Mister Mxyzptlk at 9:21PM, Dec. 7, 2007
(offline)
bobhhh
At last it seems there is a downside to replacing humans with masturbating monkeys!!

Well, if the monkey can do all that unicycle riding I think we could teach it to use toilet paper, unlike you.
bobhhh at 10:09PM, Dec. 7, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk
bobhhh
At last it seems there is a downside to replacing humans with masturbating monkeys!!

Well, if the monkey can do all that unicycle riding I think we could teach it to use toilet paper, unlike you.

I guess I deserve that for sinking to your level…you win.
Ladyknight17 at 6:02AM, Dec. 11, 2007
(online)
From my personal perspective…

My father is blue collar. There's no one in this world I admire more. His work ethic is amazing. He was promoted a few years back, and despite the fact is technically an office worker, he spends most of his time in the warehouse moving and lifting with his workers. My father does deserve the higher pay of his management position, because he's worked there for years, he has experience. But most of all he would never ask a person to do something he himself would not be willing to do. He never just “stands around and bitchs” at his workers. If anything he has to fight and yell for them to work even a fraction as hard as he does. He goes to work every morning at 6am, and doesn't come home until 7, sometimes later.

I do agree however that he is a rare case. That not all managers are willing to put in what they ask from their employees. The people I currently work for are a prime example.
The owners of the company haven't actually run the place in years, yet they make the highest pay. The owner sets foot in the company maybe once and month, her husband in there a few hours everyday. He cleans does odd jobs, but knows very little about how the company is run, and yet gets very angry if he isn't asked to approve a major decision. He couldn't tell you any facts about the company. He couldn't tell you anything. But the woman who does run it is horribly overworked. Some would argue the owner earned it, building the company from the ground up, and to a degree I agree. But
if your going to give up working, and surrender all major decisions and the entire work load, it seems a bit silly to expect more money then the people taking over your responsibilities.
Tired of messing with a banner. Just visit the comic at…

www.drunkduck.com/red_poems/
Thanks.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
ozoneocean at 7:02AM, Dec. 11, 2007
(online)
I wouldn't worry about the Karma of that situation Ladynight, but if I were you I'd probably change jobs… In my experience what happens in those situations is that the overworked, badly managed staff start to mess up, not from their own faults, but because the management is out of touch and sending the wrong signals… The end result is that the company starts to fail.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
Mister Mxyzptlk at 3:27PM, Dec. 11, 2007
(offline)
Ladyknight17
The owner sets foot in the company maybe once and month, her husband in there a few hours everyday. He cleans does odd jobs, but knows very little about how the company is run, and yet gets very angry if he isn't asked to approve a major decision.

Of course, there is nothing of value an owner can do for their company outside the building. There are no contracts that need arranging and signing. No suppliers whose egos need some personal stroking. No need to find new outlets for products. No finance dealings to do so the company can grow.

Nope. Nothing useful to do outside of the shop. Not a bit.
bobhhh at 8:58PM, Dec. 11, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk
Ladyknight17
The owner sets foot in the company maybe once and month, her husband in there a few hours everyday. He cleans does odd jobs, but knows very little about how the company is run, and yet gets very angry if he isn't asked to approve a major decision.

Of course, there is nothing of value an owner can do for their company outside the building. There are no contracts that need arranging and signing. No suppliers whose egos need some personal stroking. No need to find new outlets for products. No finance dealings to do so the company can grow.

Nope. Nothing useful to do outside of the shop. Not a bit.

I won't claim that all owners don't perform valuable services. I own my own business, I know all about it.

But You have claimed in the past ad nauseum that laborers are akin to monkeys, and that is where you are wrong. I value all of my employees, and they bring far more to my business than mere labor.

A bitter sarcastic old poot like you will never appreciate that.
Mister Mxyzptlk at 8:40AM, Dec. 12, 2007
(offline)
bobhhh
A bitter sarcastic old poot like you will never appreciate that.

I'm a sarcastic, bitter old coot. I'd appreciate it if you kept that strait!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved