Help, Support and Suggestions

Work Stealing and Copyright, etc.
daniel_the_drummer at 10:56AM, June 26, 2007
(offline)
What's the policy and work stealing and copyright and stuff on here? What rights do we have, etc, blah, blah, blah.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
skoolmunkee at 4:05PM, June 27, 2007
(online)
I'm not sure why no one has answered this yet… maybe because people couldn't STOP talking about it when Platinum first bought DD. :)

All your basic common-sense stuff applies here. All comics belong to their owners, not to DD or Platinum or anyone else, in any sense whatsoever. Do whatever you want with them, DD and Plat aren't going to take them from you or sell products or anything without making a contract with you first.

We won't tolerate a DD user committing copyright theft, etc. If they're using copyrighted images or writing in their comic we will freeze the comic, but ONLY on the condition that the copyright holder tells us themselves that the user in question isn't allowed to use their material. Basically, legally speaking, if we start making assumptions for copyright holders (whether they would or wouldn't want their work used) we get into a huge mess. Also, no one here really has the time or desire to go chasing down every incident of potential copyright theft. (However if someone provides an admin with all the relevant links and names, including the original source, we've been known to send the ‘did you know…’ email.) Not to mention the whole ‘are sprites theft or not’ debate (let's not get into that). So, if we hear from the original creator, we can start freezing and deleting etc.

If your work gets stolen and used outside of DD, I suppose you're on your own… it isn't really DD's job to go issuing cease and desist orders on behalf of its users or anything. :)

Anything else specific you want to know?
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
daniel_the_drummer at 7:59AM, June 28, 2007
(offline)
Thanks alot man, that's great help. I just don't want to put my sweat and blood into something on here and have it stolen. It's happened to me before. I do have a few more questions:

1)Is it ok to put work up on here that i have copyrighted myself?
2)Since Platinum have bought DD do they often draw up contracts with creators of comics on here that they like (outside of that ‘comics challenge’ competition)?

That's all i can think of right now.

Cheers
Dan
skoolmunkee at 9:31AM, June 28, 2007
(online)
daniel_the_drummer
1)Is it ok to put work up on here that i have copyrighted myself?

That's the whole point. :) If you do it, it's common-law copyrighted to you. So, anything you do it belongs to you. Then you upload it here so others can see it.

2)Since Platinum have bought DD do they often draw up contracts with creators of comics on here that they like (outside of that ‘comics challenge’ competition)?

They don't really tell us about their deals, but so far I haven't heard that they've made any comic contracts. They HAVE made a few contracts with people for their Platinum Mobile site. Platinum doesn't publish many comics themselves, a lot of their business (apparently) is acting as the agent who shops the comic around to others, tries to get a movie or comic deal, etc. I don't know if they've done any of those since they've bought the site. They have done a few of them, but that might have been before they got the site, or at the same time. I'm not sure their primary interest in DD is as a place to farm for comics to publish.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
daniel_the_drummer at 4:44PM, June 28, 2007
(offline)
And what's the platinum mobile site all about?

Cheers
Dan

P.S. I'm just wayching Austin Powers 1 and i forgot how sad it is when he's discovering all he missed after being frozen for 30 years. I hear there doing a new one, they should put a Welsh character in this time instead of a scottish. It would make me happy.
skoolmunkee at 4:59PM, June 28, 2007
(online)
You are very inquisitive. :) Google can answer some of your questions.

http://www.platinumstudiosmobile.com/
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
daniel_the_drummer at 5:23PM, June 28, 2007
(offline)
sorry, i don't mean to be so inquisitive, but you give good and sometimes the only answers to my questions.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved