Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Working with tablets
Corvin at 5:47AM, Dec. 13, 2006
(offline)
i realize it's not going to be an instantaneous thing, learning this new tablet, but im hoping it's ONLY my inexperience that's making it frustrating and not any lack of drawing talent.

about how long did it take you to become comfortable with your tablets?

Corvin
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
Darth Mongoose at 1:38PM, Dec. 13, 2006
(online)
I can still only use mine for colouring artwork, after six months. I find the lack of friction and the fact that you're not drawing where the imge comes up, combined with how everything comes out double the size I'm drawing it (including hand wobbles) very strange indeed. I'd like to be able to use one, but it's really frustrating to try to draw something, seeing it come up looking crap, when I could have drawn it looking better and in half the time even with a cheapo wax crayon.
For colouring though, I find it indespensible. I can't imagine how I put up with CGing with a mouse when the tablet is just so much more precise. The way it can make thinner lines when I apply less pressure and how it's held like a pen rather than like a tennis ball mean that CG colouring is faster and less annoying and makes shading so much easier!
I'm hoping thatif I keep colouring with it, get used to how it feels, I might eventually be able to draw with it better than this:
hDeviant art link
(ok, admittedly I was drawing that very quickly and as a spoof, but I'm pretty terrible with a tablet whatever I'm drawing.!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
WingNut at 5:36PM, Dec. 13, 2006
(offline)
I find that with my tablet, I am always about 6-8 months behind my drawing by hand skills. It's really very bizarre, so I stick to doing most of my stuff by hand.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
ozoneocean at 6:08PM, Dec. 13, 2006
(online)
I do all my drawing now with the tablet, at all stages. It takes a LOT of getting used to! I don't know if I can draw as well with it as I can with pencil, I don't think I can. It's hard. You can see my latest page at the moment in my DD comic of Pinky TA, it's just at the drawing stage.

It's personal though, Spaz seems to draw much better with his tablet then with pencils, see his Obnoxious high for an example of some good tablet drawing. Sub doesn't draw at all for his Dreams in Synergy, that's all pianted with the tablet, which is a good way of doing things!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:25PM
subcultured at 7:44PM, Dec. 13, 2006
(online)
practice using a pen to draw, a pen has less drag than a pencil.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
Krensada at 7:14AM, Dec. 14, 2006
(online)
I have a unique situation right now as i have a special laptop called a fujitsu lifebook.
The screen IS the tablet. I got used to tablets almost immidiately. I go back to my hand drawn art and i can still do that too.
Click on this banner…you know you want to!:

The bunny died upon entering my signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
Aeon at 8:05PM, Dec. 14, 2006
(online)
I got to use a tablet some at my University before I purchased mine. I think for some people there's a bit of a problem sheerly with moving your hand to draw, but looking at the screen to see it… it's definitely counter-intuitive for people used to pencil drawing.

Both of my comics are drawn entirely with a tablet at this point. I hardly ever take the time to sit down with a sketchbook anymore, even though I do find it easier to draw dynamic poses in a sketchbook than on a screen for some reason. So I still sketch some pinups in a book, but I scan even those in for finishing.

Don't give up, though! Just keep using it, and the hand-eye coordination part will improve, I promise. What's nice about using a tablet with image programs, is that zoom becomes so much more precise than pencils ever could. Take advantage of it! If you're having issues with the size of the tablet vs. screen size, try zooming in or out of the image until you find a place where hand motion and screen reaction approximate each other. But just keep practicing, as you would with any traditional media.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:46AM
LunarYouko at 4:20PM, Dec. 16, 2006
(offline)
I actually adjusted to my tablet very quickly. The only thing that took some time was to remember to look at the screen where the image is rather than my hand that is drawing. I thought it would take a lot, but only after a few drawings I got comfortable with it, and now, over a year later, I prefer drawing with it over pencil and paper.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
Lsnewton at 6:38AM, Dec. 24, 2006
(online)
I sucked at my tablet. That was, until I realised that I had to set it up properly for my widescreen display. Pretty easy after that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved