Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Writer's Block
Gillespie at 10:03AM, June 3, 2009
(online)
What do you do when you have writer's block. I personally hate it very much. It throws me off schedule and I have to take time off of something to get the clutter out of my head.
-Talking to friends really refresh my ideas
-Time alone, or OUTSIDE
-A video game, or OUTSIDE
-or write down anything I can think of and doodle whatever. Really gets the crap out of my mind system.

What do you do about it?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
Dragonizer at 3:24PM, June 3, 2009
(online)
Aaah, gotta hate writer's block. Personally, I find reading a book or a comic helps. I'm the type who gets ideas and inspiration from everything–especially from comics. They usually make me want to create certain characters myself, or give me plot ideas.

Hope that helps. :3
K.A.L.A.-dan! Morality Pet >:3
The end of time will be the end of guilt.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
Hyena H_ll at 6:24AM, June 4, 2009
(online)
Depends on if it's “long term” or “short term”…

Sometimes I get stuck on a bit of dialogue or am havin' trouble with the writing on a certain page (which happens when I start “fleshing out” a script- I ain't gettin' into my specific process, as it ain't really the point). When this happens, I usually get up from my desk or computer, smoke a cigarette, walk around a bit, and usually it'll come to me eventually. Best case scenario I don't go through an entire pack before I get it right. (Disclaimer: Hyena Hell does not endorse nor encourage the use of tobacco products.)

As for long-term?

I guess it depends on whether you're tryin' to start something, or are in the middle of it, or tryin' to wrap it up. In general, if I need an idea for a story, I'll try to think of stories I like, and “reinterpret them”- *coughcoughblatantlyripoffcough*. I'm an artistic cynic, and believe that there's no such thing as an “original idea”; I subscribe to the theory that "Mediocre artists borrow; great artists steal". I think it's a matter of how adept ya are at hiding it that'll make or break you.

In general, I think it's key to have a couple or three creative outlets that you can switch back and forth between. That relieves some of the pressure from not knowing where to go next with a specific project.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Gillespie at 6:45PM, June 6, 2009
(online)
Sound advice. Thanks. Anyone else feel like sharing?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
IDrawWithAMouse at 3:16PM, June 25, 2009
(offline)
Gillespie
Sound advice. Thanks. Anyone else feel like sharing?

I usually draw inspiration from outside sources, or recent events. My comic is a day-to-day thing, and I have challenged myself to do one every day, so that doesn't leave me time to ponder on scripts for too long. If I'm stuck, I just force myself into it, throwing things out in the open until I find something that sticks.

I also tend to bounce ideas around with my brother. So discussing a script with someone else is probably a good thing, too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Custard Trout at 3:28PM, June 25, 2009
(offline)
I pour some soapy water in my ear and swish it around my head until the block is cleaned away. Some people tell that it's dangerous to pour soapy watornhgtonerer in my ear, but I fe;jbhr;jnhijhjhjjkldsel fine.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
GracehFaceh at 4:27PM, June 25, 2009
(online)
I don't get long term writer's block very often. Mostly because next to the stuff going on in my life, my comic is something I think about almost 24/7… However, I do run into those days where I just have no inspiration to even think of it, but it never lasts very long. Not to mention, almost everything is planned so there's nothing really to get blocked on. Usually when it actually comes to actually sitting down and drawing it, then I hit a snag. I used to get art/writer's block really bad. Luckily, I made a system for myself to prevent that from happening.

If I'm struggling with a page, I usual rewrite said page, redraw it differently, or change something in the story completely. That usually helps me to get out of that funk. Unfortunately, sometimes I just get bored with what I'm doing in general. In this case, I usually watch a movie or read a book. Sometimes the story'll get me thinking about my own story, which gets me interested again. Once In a while, I don't want to draw the current pages because I'm too wrapped up in the story as it is in the future… I don't really do anything then. I just wait for the inspiration to come back. It usually does. It's like comic herpes.

Blah, word vomit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
Dave7 at 8:00PM, June 26, 2009
(online)
With short-term writer's block, I usually go back and read over and edit parts that I've already done on whatever it is that I'm working on.
As for long-term writer's block (which happens very rarely with me, as I try to do at least SOME work on my current project every day, even if I have to force myself to do it), I'll usually write down ideas for other projects/stories (whether they're related or not to whatever's at hand) so I won't forget and can come back and maybe make something out of them once I'm done. That, or I work on reference sheets I have set up for different characters/plot lines/story arcs to make sure that I'm keeping my stories consistent.
Post your concerns about the preview page! Support raw html! http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics
]http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics

“That is not dead can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons death may die.”
~H.P. Lovecraft

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
jimbob47 at 9:56PM, Aug. 19, 2009
(offline)
Take a nice shower or bath, Those help tons man and if i shold say eating some brekfist helps too.
Ratman and Milkman Here to help….or distory us all.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
Astar at 2:04AM, Aug. 20, 2009
(offline)
Go for a walk. Tidy up. Plenty of things to do. Strangely enough my comic has to do with this. But I've only posted one page so far (working on page 2) so not much to show ATM.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
Hunchdebunch at 2:11AM, Aug. 20, 2009
(online)
Well if get writer's block while writing a script, what I do about it depends on how soon I need the script done:

If I need the script quickly:
-I write a list of ‘what if’s that could happen to the characters or just in the story. Like: What if character 1 and character 2 had an argument and went seperate ways? Or what if a meteorite hit the earth? Anything really lol some of them are crazy too.

If I don't need it quickly:
-I take time off writing it. I leave it for as long as I need to and come back to it when I want to. Usually when I come back to it I have new ideas for it :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
Nicotine at 6:23AM, Aug. 20, 2009
(online)
I think my biggest solution to writers block would be to pay more attention to your surrounds and to watch/read things related to the story you're working on. I don't know know how many times I've watched a crime program or read a book or something when an idea would come to my head.

That's how I've formed so many of my future plot twists. It's good to take inspiration from other things.

Now, if someone has advice for artist's block, I'd gladly take it. I get that way more than writer's block XD. I always know what needs to be written next, but sometimes it's so hard to draw a page!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
Ateljux at 8:39PM, Aug. 20, 2009
(offline)
i usually walk randomly stop when i feel like it stand and stare into nothing for a while until it goes away (no really i do)
or the better option plug in the ear phones and walk my dog,its so boring and im outside give me fresh ideas for stories every time.
Click the link,get taken to my webcomic: Abram goes to HELL.

and now Just wing it, a post apocalyptic comic, dark humour:
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved