Media Megaforum

X-Men anime series
jalford at 12:38AM, Feb. 19, 2011
(online)

Animax has started a website for the brand new X-Men anime TV series slated for premiere Japan this April. G4 plans on broadcasting the English version of this.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
Mr Kaos at 3:14AM, Feb. 19, 2011
(online)
it looks good. but i wonder it won't be corny as the last ones?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
Hawk at 9:55AM, Feb. 19, 2011
(online)
The little trailer they provide looks pretty neat… but that' a trailer, I guess. Of course it's higher-budget portion of the anime.

I'm pretty curious about how well it's received in Japan. When I lived in Japan I picked up a volume of the X-Men manga at a used book store. I asked one of the guys working there if it was very popular. He said no.

And I'd imagine they'd have to take away a bit of the Western spandex superhero stigma for it to take off. Even worse, I'm sure they'll inject it with some of the more pretentious anime themes… not that the original X-Men didn't get pretentious at times.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
mlai at 3:58AM, Feb. 21, 2011
(online)
The good thing about an X-men anime would be that the characters would actually look stylish even while fighting, as in wearing clothes that you'd actually wear walking down the street, if you had a perfect body.

I know Japan do have their own spandex heroes tradition (sentai teams), but they also have a whole other genre of “plainclothes” superheroes. Yes, usually this genre does have more pretentious themes.

Does the Japanese actually understand the concept of racism? I think their X-men would deal less with racism, and more with fighting against gov't conspiracies or something. Kind of a “rage against the machine” type of theme.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
Armagedon at 12:55AM, Feb. 22, 2011
(online)
I haven't been sold on a good X-Men show since Evolution. Hopefully, they'll work with the story, as that seems to always be the problem with the later versions of the shows.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
isukun at 11:48AM, Feb. 22, 2011
(online)
Does the Japanese actually understand the concept of racism?

Yes, they do. I recall a series a while back called Petopeto-san about traditional monsters (although they looked human) living alongside humans and a school which featured mixed classes. Racism was a pretty major theme throughout as the monsters were often treated as second class citizens. Prejudice is becoming a greater theme in Japanese popular culture these days, although a lot of it isn't centered around race as much as lifestyle choices. Racism is generally considered bad, but isn't a problem that's as prevalent in a society that is primarily of a single race. You still have a lot of xenophobic tendencies in Japan, but a lot of people's issues are cultural more than racial.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
mlai at 6:54PM, Feb. 22, 2011
(online)
Watching Valkyrian Chronicles anime currently, because I liked the game so much. The anime isn't directed/scripted very well, and it has nothing to do with budget. The writers/director just seems very green at their crafts, even when they already have something to work off of.

Anyways, their treatment of the Darksens vs Valkyrians legend makes me feel some Jpnese don't grasp the concept of racism. Basically Darksens are “Jews” and Valkyrians are “Aryans”, but rather than treating them as peoples, the anime changed them to single individuals (in the legends). WTF? How does that even make sense, Mr. Writer?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
EssayBee at 8:43AM, Feb. 28, 2011
(online)
Hadn't heard about this, but it sounds interesting. If the production is on par with Stand Alone Complex, this could be an excellent show. I wonder if they'll “Japan-ize” the mutant origin . . . Seems, if it's set in Japan, they could link the emergence of mutants to atomic bombs. I know Magneto (and I suppose Xavier) was a mutant before the bombs were dropped in the present story, but it could be an interesting reinterpretation of the mythos. Since we've seen lots of X-Men toons here in the U.S. which have stayed true to their original Marvel comics roots, it'd be refreshing to see the characters and situations get a new twist.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
mlai at 2:18AM, March 1, 2011
(online)
In the trailer, those X-men look exactly like how they look in the comics… so I doubt they're “Japanese” X-men. The story will probably still occur in the USA.

I guess it's timed to coincide with MvC3 coming out. LOL, be awesome if the action scenes take after the game.

Abt_Nihil at 7:08AM, March 1, 2011
(offline)
mlai
I doubt they're “Japanese” X-men. The story will probably still occur in the USA.
From the description of the youtube trailer:
“The X-Men are reunited following the death of a teammate, and are summoned by Charles Xavier to Japan following the abduction of Hisako Ichiki (Armor). There, they confront the U-Men, a lunatic cult that steals and transplants mutant organs to further strengthen their own army, and the battle for justice is on.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
EssayBee at 8:27AM, March 5, 2011
(online)
Abt_Nihil
. . . a lunatic cult that steals and transplants mutant organs to further strengthen their own army, and the battle for justice is on."
“Mutant organs”? I thought the mutation was genetic. Sounds a bit odd to me. Maybe the new organs are now the mutation.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
Abt_Nihil at 12:48PM, March 5, 2011
(offline)
EssayBee
“Mutant organs”? I thought the mutation was genetic. Sounds a bit odd to me. Maybe the new organs are now the mutation.
Huh? Organs are grown from DNA in the first place, so I don't see why mutant DNA shouldn't lead to mutant organs (that would be worth stealing). Sure, some mutant genes don't affect organs, but I guess in this case, they would. But hey, I don't know the writers or anything.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
Tim Wellman at 1:13PM, March 12, 2011
(online)
Actually, the tv channel, G4 is involved in this so it's not strictly a Japanese anime.

I can't believe they're using such old voice actors… all but one were born in the early 60's or even earlier. I think there may be a bit of a hidden insult in there… all the Japanese fanboys love young voice actors… who wants to see a sexy anime babe with a VA older than their moms.

So, this is a very odd project that is removed in several ways from contemporary anime norms.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
isukun at 1:35AM, March 13, 2011
(online)
That's actually not that strange. A lot of anime projects these days are getting funded with the help of Western studios and networks. I wouldn't say that makes it any less anime if it's still written, directed, and produced primarily in Japan. As for the voice actors, I haven't really looked into it, but is it possible they're using the same voice actors as the old TV series. It did air in Japan and I know with some of the nostalgia works and remakes they will bring back familiar voice talent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
Product Placement at 9:23AM, March 13, 2011
(online)
Tim Wellman
Actually, the tv channel, G4 is involved in this so it's not strictly a Japanese anime.
isukun
A lot of anime projects these days are getting funded with the help of Western studios and networks. I wouldn't say that makes it any less anime if it's still written, directed, and produced primarily in Japan.
Hm… that reminds me of a situation that happened not too long ago, when a film was refused entry to a French film competition, despite being filmed in France, having an all French cast, being in French and directed by a Frenchman. The reason… it was funded by an American studio.

..Don't remember what film it was, though.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
blindsk at 1:13PM, March 13, 2011
(online)
Tim Wellman

Hopefully it's only the funding. Lately I've been getting the feeling that they care less about gamers and overall nerd culture and more about innuendos and attempts at being cool.

The way I see it, the less involvement they have with the overall creation process, the better.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
Eddie Jensen at 9:37AM, Oct. 12, 2011
(online)
Well considering the quality of the american to anime shows madhouse has brought to us before…… well, let's just say I don't have my hopes up. Though I was very sad they fixed Wolverines mullet for the Wolverine show.
if I was a teapot I think I'd be orange.

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/
JazylH at 5:48AM, Jan. 20, 2012
(online)
I've seen all the wps subbed & I thing Madhouse has done an absolutely stellar job with the series. I never did enjoy the Wplverine one & Iron Man was just about OK… But X-men is a masterpiece.

Updated Mondays & Fridays
Tantz Aerine at 12:24PM, Jan. 20, 2012
(online)
I watched the first few episodes. Some points are nice, but the overall sum looked generic to me. It read a little bit like a Japanese kid's fanfiction.

Genejoke at 12:48AM, Jan. 21, 2012
(online)
Tantz Aerine wrote:
I watched the first few episodes. Some points are nice, but the overall sum looked generic to me. It read a little bit like a Japanese kid's fanfiction.
haha, that is exactly what I thought from the first episode.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved