Media Megaforum

X-Men: The Last Stand
jalford at 9:27PM, June 7, 2006
(online)
That and Logan seemed to turn into a totally pussy in this one. He's about to score with Jean who's just lying there in her panties, and then he had to remember “Oh wait, Scott might be dead.” And even after Jean psychicly rips his belt off, he's still bitching about Scott, like he gave a crap about him anyway. The comic book Logan would've nailed Jean right there on the side of the lake before even getting her on to the Blackbird. That and he should've gone totally berserker on Magneto, even after he was turned into a human. “So you thought I wouldn't mind it if you just lyed there under the sink while Xavier got blown up!”, and then he sticks his claws right up where “you shall not pass!”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
isukun at 9:01AM, June 8, 2006
(online)
And even after Jean psychicly rips his belt off, he's still bitching about Scott, like he gave a crap about him anyway.

I didn't really get the impression that he was all that concerned about Scott.

Personally, I'm glad it doesn't follow the comics. The old comics could be downright awful. Plus the movies were already pretty far-fetched without adding aliens, celestial beings, and so forth. Going any further wouldn't have meshed well with the universe they had already created for the movies.

As for the character personality traits, Professor X was a jerk a lot of the time in the early comics. To make matters worse, he almost never clued the X-men into what was going on even though he usually knew. Magneto was just an ass. He wanted to rule the world, not liberate mutants.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
PhatScurl at 1:44PM, June 8, 2006
(offline)
Tribute
Juggernaut runs into a wall and gets knocked out (what the hell's his helmet for than??)

The helmet is to keep his half brother Professor X out of his head, sort of like magneto's, BUT THEY FAIL TO MENTION HOW THEY ARE RELATED, JUST LIKE MYSTIQUE AND NIGHTCRAWLER!!!! WHAT THE FUDGE!!!

For me that just feels like something that should have been stated.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
jalford at 5:06PM, June 8, 2006
(online)
I think Juggy is actually Prof X's stepbrother.
PhatScurl at 5:46PM, June 8, 2006
(offline)
*refers to Marvel Encyclopedia Vol. 1*….well crap…your right :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
Inkmonkey at 9:13PM, June 8, 2006
(online)
For the purposes of this movie, Juggernaut is a mutant, so his powers are lost when he gets near Leech, thus he loses his invulnerability and just slams his head into a military-grade wall.

Anyway, I found the main storyline to be very compelling, but a lot of stuff was obviously tacked on. I don't think they had enough time to flesh out Angel, and sadly the movie would have just been better off without him (at least, in the way he was presented). Similarly, I felt that the whole Pheonix thing was pretty tacked on and ultimately only seemed to exist for the purpose of having the dramatic scene with Wolvy at the end.

I think people complaining about inconsistincies with the comic are being stupid. I think there are some grounds to complain if a characters personality and nature were changed (like, if you feel Wolvy was “wussified”, I won't hold it against you), but let's be honest; the comics are a very different ball game. The pacing is entirely different, and the cast already has many, many differences. I think that the producers should focus more on making a good movie than being 100% faithful to the source material.

Unfortunately, I think the producers tried too hard to fit as many cameos and one-liners instead.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
magickmaker at 2:56PM, June 10, 2006
(offline)
In the comics, Magneto was turned into a baby, at one point. This ray thing turned him into a young adult and he grew on from there, although I have no idea how old he is supposed to be now. Arclight was a Marauder. I have no idea why she was played by a transvestite.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Hawk at 12:37AM, June 11, 2006
(online)
Inkmonkey
For the purposes of this movie, Juggernaut is a mutant, so his powers are lost when he gets near Leech, thus he loses his invulnerability and just slams his head into a military-grade wall.

That part was one of the funnier points to me… There's nothing “mutant” about a heavy object moving at high speed, so I assumed he should've gone straight through that wall anyway. It made a funny moment in the movie and you may be right about the military-grade wall, so I can let it slide.

Inkmonkey
I think people complaining about inconsistincies with the comic are being stupid. I think there are some grounds to complain if a characters personality and nature were changed (like, if you feel Wolvy was “wussified”, I won't hold it against you), but let's be honest; the comics are a very different ball game. The pacing is entirely different, and the cast already has many, many differences. I think that the producers should focus more on making a good movie than being 100% faithful to the source material.

I agree with you on a whole lot of things. This is the universal problem with movies that are adaptations. I was able to view the movie as a seperate entity from the comics and thus was able to enjoy it. The movie doesn't “erase” the comics, it just provides a different way to enjoy them. I still think if it was 100% accurate to the comic it would've been awful.

Isn't it funny that people who make videogame-based movies fail to make either a good movie or an accurate movie?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
skoolmunkee at 3:24AM, June 11, 2006
(online)
I just saw it last night and I liked it. :) I don't know much about the comic series and don't really care if they change mutants or their powers, so I went in without expecting anything.

I don't think they could have brought Leech or the cure ampoules close to her, because she would have just blasted them to molecules. Wolverine was the only thing that could have gotten close because of his healing. His clothes got disintigrated, so would an ampoule (if Jean didn't change the contents to water or something first). They would have had no idea if the cure would have worked with her anyway, as you saw at the end with Magneto it isn't foolproof. They wouldn't have wanted to risk it.

I don't think Leech would have been safe from the effects of a mutant power (like being molecularized from a distance), he can probably only cancel mutant powers from the source. He wouldn't have gotten close to Jean. Then, he'd have had to stick next to her until they felt safe to let her go. They could use the cure but they wouldn't have trusted it, and Xavier (the only one who could restore her mentally) was dead. So as far as last-minute, (relatively) foolproof plans go, killing her was the best option.

I liked how Arclight looked, she looked cool. :) They made the best of her boy-body and gave her a cool Tokyo Rockabilli Club hairdo.

Rogue should get kicked out of the school though. T_T I can understand why she wimped out (her whole power is based on the concept of destroying other people) but with no powers she shouldn't get to stay. The only reasons I can think why they let her stay were that 1. They needed stability so kept on as many ‘old’ people as possible, or 2. She had no home to go to, so they are letting her stay out of responsibility (maybe they'll make her get a job and an apartment, haha)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:38PM
isukun at 8:36PM, June 11, 2006
(online)
There's nothing “mutant” about a heavy object moving at high speed

In the movie, Juggernaut is a mutant and he works a little differently than he did in the comics. They state that his power is that once he gains speed, his momentum can't be stopped by anything. Therefore, it's not his mass that allows him to slam through the walls, it's his power to maintain him momentum reguardless of whatever objects or people stand in his way. When his power is knocked out, his mass isn't great enough to make up for the loss of power.

They would have had no idea if the cure would have worked with her anyway, as you saw at the end with Magneto it isn't foolproof. They wouldn't have wanted to risk it.

At the end, I don't think they had any there to use. It wasn't foolproof, but it didn't seem like anyone was aware of this fact. Also, at the very least, it would have nullified her powers temporarily and regular treatments could likely keep it under control. Jean had the power to keep tabs on it as long as it wasn't overpowering her. So the cure would have been an option, but I don't think they had access to any at that point in time.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
jalford at 11:54PM, June 11, 2006
(online)
Then again, it might not have been Magneto moving the chesspiece at the end. He might've been kicking the table, or maybe an earthquake was starting(it was San Francisco, ya know!).
Hawk at 2:46PM, June 12, 2006
(online)
jalford
Then again, it might not have been Magneto moving the chesspiece at the end. He might've been kicking the table, or maybe an earthquake was starting(it was San Francisco, ya know!).

LOL!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
jalford at 12:26AM, June 13, 2006
(online)
Magneto was a real turd in this movie though compared to the last two. Aside from how he was just using people like Mystique and Multiple Man, his dialogue got real stale. “Charles always did want to build bridges.” Christ! You'd think Jean's heightened psychic powers would've been able to pick up whan an asshole he was.

X2 though has one of the best supervillain dialogue exchanges on film. “What's your name?” “What's your REAL name?”
Inkmonkey at 12:49AM, June 13, 2006
(online)
Yeah, I have to agree that I think they “over-evilled” Senor Magnus for this film. I mean, I know he's a “bad guy” and all, but there's always been some sympathy for him, and aside from his one line defending Xavier, he went from “realistic evil” to “cartoonish evil” (which, I know, is an odd critique to make about a movie based on a comic book), at least compared to the previous movies.
marine at 1:02AM, June 13, 2006
(offline)
Can't we just leave it at “it a god damn comic book movie” and realize that none of it matters, as Chris Claremount will do a retconn and change it all? Then Grant Morrison will have to do a ret con of his ret con, and then old spic Joe will come in, create an alternate ultiamte universe of those ret cons, and call it “heroes reborn… again” and then comic books stop sucking, and involve more zombies, chainsaws, and one liners. No one cares if Collosus comes back because he doesn't fucking matter. He's never even introduced. In fact, the entire x men consist of four people, only used as a backdrop for Wolverine in the heroes reborn again world. Wolverine has every power of every villian, and instead of leaving his villians alive to come back again, he rips them to shreds and sometimes eats their bodies. Continuity is for losers. Cannon won't even be mentioned.

Personally, the only things that have bothered me about the movies were the outfits. When I think super heroes, I think gay outfits. Not actual gay fetish black leather outfits.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
jalford at 1:12AM, June 13, 2006
(online)
I understand Magneto's helmet in the movie, but what's the cape for?

“We think your cape is FABULOUS!!!!!”
ozoneocean at 2:58AM, June 13, 2006
(online)
You see, this is why I like Marine so much.
I want Matt to direct the next X-men movie.
Then I might actually watch it!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
ccs1989 at 12:17PM, June 13, 2006
(online)
All the X-Men will have chain saws and fight against anti-mutant zombies.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Lucky at 12:37PM, June 13, 2006
(online)
There were parts of the movie I liked, theres no denying that. But I didnt like the main story of it, nor the ending. They tried to cram too much into one movie, they tried to make Wolverine too much of a hero. And while I pretty much hate Cyclops, he deserved a better death than something that happened offscreen.

For me…that movie was all about Beast. Beast was well worth the money.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
marine at 12:40PM, June 13, 2006
(offline)
ozoneocean

If I directed it, it would concern only Wolverine, the silver samurai, and a few other characters that all ended up dead by the end of the movie. I would adapt the story of Wolverine's love and loss in Japan. He would fight lots and lots of ninjas, samurais, and I might throw in a cameo from the punisher. Just because I like the Punisher. If comic authors can do it, why can't a film director?
marine at 12:46PM, June 13, 2006
(offline)
Tater Salad
marine
ozoneocean

If I directed it, it would concern only Wolverine, the silver samurai, and a few other characters that all ended up dead by the end of the movie. I would adapt the story of Wolverine's love and loss in Japan. He would fight lots and lots of ninjas, samurais, and I might throw in a cameo from the punisher. Just because I like the Punisher. If comic authors can do it, why can't a film director?
Agreed. I don't know why no movie has been about Wolvie's ninja training yet.

From what I heard, the Wolverine movie is about the boring parts of Wolverine's past. The weapon X bullshit. Origianlly Wolverine was to have been an actual Wolverine that mutated into a human. Also the version in my movie would be the early 90s giant hulking beast of a Wolverine. Small head, and nothing but muscles. I might even hire Liefield himself to do the cocneptuals.
ozoneocean at 12:47PM, June 13, 2006
(online)
No Juggernaut? At all?

As long as there's lots of blood on snow and cherry blossoms.

jalford at 3:10PM, June 13, 2006
(online)
Chances are the Wolvie movie might have Sabertooth in it again. Possibly Silver Samurai, Lady Deathstike(provided she survived from X2), or Juggernaut(provided he survived Phoenix's attack), and mayne Mr. Sinister for a new main villain. More than likely it will take the Kill Bill approach and have Wolvie going solo and kicking ass all over Japan.
SpANG at 9:12PM, June 17, 2006
(online)
Okay, just saw it. I enjoyed it. But a fourth movie is left wide open because (as some have mentioned already):
  • 1. Magneto is getting his powers back
    2. If Magneto does, so will Rougue
    3. " Mstyque
    4. They never really DETERMINED that Cyclops died, it was just assmued
    5. Xavier is now in a different body (really, who didn't see that coming? Didn't even need the bonus scene to figure that out).
    6. Jean Grey comes back from the dead constantly. Marvel characters never seem to remain dead. :twisted:

(IMHO):
    1. I have a problem with the whole “Phoenix” storyline, anyway. Comic AND movie. It was originally a convaluted way to make Jean alive again after they killed her off, and it's weak. Deus ex machina, even. Worse than Superman's “back from the dead” explaination. There, I said it. :?
    2. Kellsey Grammer played a great Beast. Great makeup, too. :)
    3. Juggernaut was cool. 8)
    4. BOTH fastball specials kinda sucked. All they really needed to do was speed it up. :?
    5. Rogue was a whiny baby throughout the entire movie. Zero value. :cry:
    6. Storm (Halle) looks hot with her new haircut :wink:
    7. The fact that Iceman was in it more was kinda cool (no pun intended) :wink:
    8. Pyro is just stupid. Can't even make his own fire. :P
    9. No Nightcrawler? Boooo! :P
    10. Arch Angel = the dumbest character ever. He and Hawkman should have a fight to the lame-ass death. :x

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
SpANG at 2:41PM, June 18, 2006
(online)
Well, maybe Patrick Stewart didn't want to do the role anymore. They can really get anyone for it now that it's a different body. :wink:

Tho PS did a great job as Prof X.

ozoneocean at 7:12PM, June 19, 2006
(online)
McKellen probably really did say that too, he's a hillarious guy.
Not generally very camp either, which is good.

SpANG at 7:15PM, June 19, 2006
(online)
Sir Ian McKellen is the coolest old person ever. And you all know it.

skoolmunkee at 2:38AM, June 20, 2006
(online)
KC3T LV
In fact, I absolutely loved Storm's role in this movie.

I hate Halle Berry, she's stupid and ugly and a terrible actress in everything I've seen her in. :evil: I actively avoid movies with her in it now because she ruins things that much. (Unless it's a movie I want to see otherwise and hope she won't be in it much, like XMen.)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:38PM
SpANG at 5:00AM, June 20, 2006
(online)
Tater Salad
SpANG!
Sir Ian McKellen is the coolest old person ever. And you all know it.

Well, okay. I don't think of GC as old for some reason, though. :wink:

Inkmonkey at 4:18PM, June 20, 2006
(online)
skoolmunkee
KC3T LV
In fact, I absolutely loved Storm's role in this movie.

I hate Halle Berry, she's stupid and ugly and a terrible actress in everything I've seen her in. :evil: I actively avoid movies with her in it now because she ruins things that much. (Unless it's a movie I want to see otherwise and hope she won't be in it much, like XMen.)

I've gotta back you up on that one. I think this has been her best showing in an X-Movie so far, but I still think she was a very poor choice for Storm. She was clearly just chosen for the role because Fox wanted a famous Black actress for the role, instead of using an open casting call for someone who actually fit the part.

The thing about Rogue, is that she doesn't get enough screen time to seem real. Of course, those of us familiar with her and her problems will sympathize, but from a story-telling aspect her side-story felt very rushed and thrown in.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved