Media Megaforum

Your "Getting Ready" Song
amanda at 9:23PM, Sept. 30, 2008
(online)
*EDIT* Here's the link to the playlist - remember, it's constantly evolving, so keep listing songs ^.^

Do you have one? I have had a getting-ready-for-the-day song for as long as I can remember - it changes with the times, of course ^.^

For example, when I was younger, it was “I'm Too Sexy” by Right Said Fred. (*hides* Don't judge me! I was young and impressionable!) More recently, it was “I'm So Excited” by The Pointer Sisters.

Well - I have an official new one: Feeling Good - Michael Buble.

Curious to know if you have any specific songs that get you pumped for the day or for particular events/situations* and what said songs are.

*That didn't sound dirty when I first typed it, I swear.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:51AM
json at 9:46PM, Sept. 30, 2008
(online)
lol!

i'm a music fiend….so, yes. yes, i do.

if i'm getting ready to get my lazy ass to work: the lawrence arms - are you there yet margaret, it's me god.

if i'm getting pimped out and hitting the town: every time i die - we're wolf

if i'm heading on the bus: wierd al yankovic - another one rides the bus
or weseley willis fiasco - get on the bus
and yes, riding the bus takes some psyching up and readying to do….it is always an “experience” to say the least.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
ozoneocean at 10:05PM, Sept. 30, 2008
(online)
“Child then” by Slap Happy. It's just… lovely. :)

In the mornings I used to prefer “Start me up” by the rolling stones. I've always loved Tattoo You… And also “Good Morning” by the Beatles.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
Eirikr at 10:25PM, Sept. 30, 2008
(online)
Currently, I wake up to Muse's Knight's of Cydonia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YygyHCRrKho

Perfect way to start a day.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
Scheiden at 11:05PM, Sept. 30, 2008
(offline)
I'm a player by K.G.B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsS-i3-il8Q

Maksim's Hana's Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0X-GamNY5U

and

New Soul by Yael Naim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YUxbDEPFiM&feature=related

Usually these. But I tend to have mood swings so my choice of music to start the day with also differs.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
piraterpg at 4:14AM, Oct. 1, 2008
(offline)
The one song that has stayed with me through the years and helps me gets me through the day is:

DJ G-Spott - No comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwyj5igaXAE

www.drunkduck.com/pirateRPG
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
HippieVan at 6:38AM, Oct. 1, 2008
(online)
I like to listen to Abbey Road before I go out, especially if I'm feeling nervous.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Brogan at 8:40AM, Oct. 1, 2008
(online)
I prefer quiet if it's really early in the day. But after that, ANYTHING by the Reel Big Fish gets me in a good mood or pumped up. A good example would be when we went on vacation from NJ to FL. I did the driving and by the last leg around Jacksonville nothing but the Fish could get me really upbeat and singing to Orlando. =D
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
amanda at 8:51AM, Oct. 1, 2008
(online)
Brogan
Reel Big Fish
*glee* I love RBF! Funny that you mentioned them, too - I've been listening to them all morning. “Scott's a Dork” has the power to stay in my head for weeks at a time.
Brogan at 9:12AM, Oct. 1, 2008
(online)
amanda
Brogan
Reel Big Fish
*glee* I love RBF! Funny that you mentioned them, too - I've been listening to them all morning. “Scott's a Dork” has the power to stay in my head for weeks at a time.
I think they're one of the best! I always wondered why they weren't more popular? I guess maybe they're too happy sounding music-wise for most people. Everyone seems to want angry stuff anymore. Oh, well. I like ‘em. I loved they’re version of ‘Take on me’ by Aha. Did you ever hear that?
amanda at 9:20AM, Oct. 1, 2008
(online)
Yessir! I'm very impressed by their ability to hit those high notes. Funny thing about RBF - they sound like a happy band - they're so so SO not.

So I am compiling all the songs into a YouTube playlist (if I can find non-live, non-cover versions). Dunno why, but I thought it might be fun.

Here it is!
There are currently 16 songs, and it'll auto-play. Some songs might have some choice words, so beware your tender ears. Also, I haven't watched ALL the videos, so there might be questionable content, but whatever. Nothing you haven't seen before anyway.

*note* I'll keep adding as people give me more songs - so…keep 'em coming!
Bittenbymonk at 10:07AM, Oct. 1, 2008
(offline)
Boston: More than a feeling
or
Learn to Fly by the foo fighters

Reel big fish are up there with my favourites, they are definitely a ska gateway band… ever heard of “the forces of evil”? they're so similar to RBF it's unreal… UNREAL MAN!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
PIT_FACE at 10:43AM, Oct. 1, 2008
(online)
Bittenbymonk
Boston: More than a feeling
or
Learn to Fly by the foo fighters

Reel big fish are up there with my favourites, they are definitely a ska gateway band… ever heard of “the forces of evil”? they're so similar to RBF it's unreal… UNREAL MAN!

HOLLY CRAP!i just remembered my dad would play boston all the time in the morning when he'd get ready for work and i'd get ready for school and more then a feeling would come on almost EVERY morning! so i guess that was originally my get up n go song. fuck, i love Boston! but yeah, maby we were joined at the hip of something, monk.

lately though mine is Terror Squad by Artillery. i usually only have about 10 minutes to get out the door in the morning so i'll listen to it on my walk to work and it makes me feel like a fuckin storm trooper.hahaha!
PIT_FACE at 10:49AM, Oct. 1, 2008
(online)
amanda
Yessir! I'm very impressed by their ability to hit those high notes. Funny thing about RBF - they sound like a happy band - they're so so SO not.

So I am compiling all the songs into a YouTube playlist (if I can find non-live, non-cover versions). Dunno why, but I thought it might be fun.

Here it is!
There are currently 16 songs, and it'll auto-play. Some songs might have some choice words, so beware your tender ears. Also, I haven't watched ALL the videos, so there might be questionable content, but whatever. Nothing you haven't seen before anyway.

*note* I'll keep adding as people give me more songs - so…keep 'em coming!
that's a neat idea, Amanda!
but i tried to check out the playlist and it just plays the “no comment” video when i click on yer link.

also if you wannt add the one i like then here's a good video for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzuSCj_bLZ4

man, Artillery's a wicked band anyways. i love em, and lately i've been able to talk to a few members and they're real nice dudes! easy to get a hold of too, they like to keep in touch with their fans like comming onto the forums and personally answering questions and stuff like that and i've been absolutely off the wall PSYCHED lately cuase i might get to do some art work for em!!!i just had to come back and add that in cuase I'M FLIPPIN OUT!!!
amanda at 11:54AM, Oct. 1, 2008
(online)
Got ‘em added! Thanks for catching the wonky link, Pit. I’ve updated that link AND added a link to the first post. Woooo!
lba at 12:52PM, Oct. 1, 2008
(online)
Whenever I get into the car I put on Reel Big Fish's “Another FU song”. It's possibly the most vulgar, yet happy song in my collection.

My personal “get you happy and ready to move” song is “Kicking Pigeons” by .

As for the get ready to party/chill song, I'm very partial to the RBF cover of Snoop Dogg's “Gin and Juice”. Something about Aaron Barrets talking about how he has bitches all over his house and he's smoking with Dr. Dre is incredibly amusing.

I think my choices kind of reflect pretty much everything that makes my sense of humor and attitude. I fully admit to being a skanker. Which sounds a lot worse than it really is.

I have to argue against Reel Big Fish being not popular though. They're possibly the most known ska band of all time, right up on the top of the list with Mustard Plug and Operation Ivy. I think they'll only get more popular since ska has been revived ( compared to where it was a couple years ago. ) and is slowly entering the mainstream music world.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
amanda at 1:12PM, Oct. 1, 2008
(online)
I'll get your songs added shortly, lba.
I love Another FU Song ^.^ I haven't heard the RBF Gin & Juice cover, but I really like the one Phish did - it's very…um, country!
Ska's being revived? I'm pretty heavy into the ska circuit and haven't noticed that trend. Maybe that's just because I live in Texas, though ^.^
Biz3 at 2:03PM, Oct. 1, 2008
(offline)
I sometimes listen to Survivor's “Eye of the Tiger” or Self's “Stay Home” when getting ready for the day. Sometimes The Suicide Machines' “High Anxiety” or Paul Stanley's “Live to Win” work as well.

To stretch even further, “More than a Feeling” by Boston is sometimes the ‘getting ready’ song, but that's already up and mentioned.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
Steely Gaze at 3:17PM, Oct. 1, 2008
(offline)
Well, I may wake up with a new song in my head each morning, but I find I get more done if it's “You're My Best Friend” by Queen. I don't know why, because at other times of the day I prefer their other songs, but for waking up and starting the dau, it's gotta be that one.

I also have a song that I tend to hum if I start doing some repetitious labor (i.e. work). It's “Tom Sawyer” by Rush. Something there helps keep me going when the chore is getting boring. ;)
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:58PM
darko4ever at 3:44PM, Oct. 1, 2008
(offline)
I take a long time to get ready so I have 2 songs

Mad World - The Orginal Tears For Fears version
*Oh yes there are some wicked dance moves in this film clip*
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=nXuXikfIYHY

and

Blood On Our Hands - Death From Above

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=wOr3QsJpMZI
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
lba at 6:39PM, Oct. 1, 2008
(online)
amanda
Ska's being revived? I'm pretty heavy into the ska circuit and haven't noticed that trend. Maybe that's just because I live in Texas, though ^.^

Definitely. I think it's as a result of a lot of the last 5 years worth of alternative becoming more part of mainstream culture. Ska hasn't become the next punk where it goes from being a small subculture to a major component of mainstream teen and college culture, but it has found it's way into some aspects of mainstream. RBF is a band that most teenagers will recognize now where as a couple years ago I was still explaining what the entire genre of ska was to people.

It wouldn't surprise me if your location had something to do with it either. Music trends seem to come from the east and west coast and the more industrial cities and move outward from them. I learned that moving from Detroit where techno and Motown were born and the alternative scene was cranking out new progrock bands like crazy to Iowa where they were 5 years behind, and just learning what emo was.

And since I'm babbling on about music, I demand you all go listen to Bush's “Machinehead”. It's stuck in my head and I want to pass it on to someone else.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
korosu at 12:39PM, Oct. 2, 2008
(online)
My “getting ready” songs usually serve to wake me up in the mornings before class. I have several, and most of them are techno or dance songs:

“Down Boy” by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
“Take a Break” by Scooter
“Calabria 2007” by Enur
“Honey” by Moby
“Boten Anna” by Basshunter
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
mlai at 5:48PM, Oct. 2, 2008
(online)
Early in the morning music? Then definitely quiet soothing stuff. The day is stress-inducing enough as it is:

Piano by Richard Clayderman.
Example: http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=gfsgXJQ0ebU&feature=related

Piano by Yanni.
Example: http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=ubTveCihjoQ

Libera.
Example: http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=g2lZHTvZfF4&feature=related

Himekami.
Example: http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=OpHIkd6BtT8&feature=related

LOL okay I think I've done enough damage. Hey at least I don't listen to country!

Unless this is considered country:
http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=7IpEnsdXwFM

Or this:
http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=ezJkRDQmL2Y

OK, now I've done enough damage to myself. ><;;;

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
ozoneocean at 9:21PM, Oct. 2, 2008
(online)
Ska… Never got into ska revival too much. It's nice and fun but… It's ok. I still love the original Jamaican ska most though. There's just something about it.
Biz3
I sometimes listen to Survivor's “Eye of the Tiger”
Awesome :)
Steely Gaze
but I find I get more done if it's “You're My Best Friend” by Queen.
Cool. :)

Scheiden at 5:17AM, Oct. 3, 2008
(offline)
Did anyone just said… SKA?!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxWzhUq5H3o

God I love these girls. I rarely see any ska nowadays and I see teenage japanese girls playing Ska? Awesome. Just awesome.

Also one of my many “Getting Ready” songs.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
fern at 12:41PM, Oct. 3, 2008
(online)
System of a Down - Chop Suey (If I were a 17-yr-old jock getting ready to play my biggest JV game ever!!!)

My song has to be Beck - Loser.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
Brogan at 10:42PM, Oct. 3, 2008
(online)
amanda
Funny thing about RBF - they sound like a happy band - they're so so SO not.
That's what I LOVE about their music! Their lyrics are very low in self-esteem and sarcastic - yet their music is SO upbeat! Just a great band. =D
darko4ever at 12:12AM, Oct. 4, 2008
(offline)
Someone
That's what I LOVE about their music! Their lyrics are very low in self-esteem and sarcastic - yet their music is SO upbeat! Just a great band. =D

Hey are the Cure Ska, 80's band.

I more looking at their song “Boys Don't cry”

But yeah I love RBF… I love the Cure I just wondering if their is a connection in style prove me wrong other wise.
ozoneocean at 3:36AM, Oct. 4, 2008
(online)
The Cure are thought of as a Goth band… a nice poppy goth band. Though that really is a shit music subculture so it's probably a bit insulting to lump them in with it because of the makeup… lol!

A lot of music style labels are a bit of a nonsense really… often the differences in styles are subtle and obvious only to nerds who are passionate about their particular one.

Ska went on a funny journey… from being poppy up-beat reggae, to a more conventional rock style while retaining the connection (a tenuous one) via the bounciness of that rhythmic foundation… But speeded up. A lot. lol!

-So yeah, The Cure doesn't fit that. A lot of punk though started with a reggae influence in the mid 70s, and you can see that in many mainstream 80s bands that toyed with styles earlier.

darko4ever at 5:30PM, Oct. 4, 2008
(offline)
And knowing is half the battle.
I love music, so much to learn. I'll stick with the Australian scene at the moment (To be honest it's not that great)
*Cross Fingers and hope it get's better*

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved